Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2020 9:09 pm  #1311

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1974 Kellogg Cup Super Series; Semi Finals

Edina Cake Eaters vs White Bear Lake Braves

It was evident this one was gonna be a good one from the get go. Edina got on the board on a one timer from Nanne, but the Braves would manage to tie it up 3 minutes later. The Cake Eaters again jumped in front in the second, but again White Bear Lake responded with a goal of their own to tie it back up. We went to the third tied at 2 with Edina leading in shots 24-17. Edina came out flying at the beginning of the third, but White Bear Lake's goalie made a couple highlight reel saves to somehow keep the game tied. His teammates made it up to him by burying a juicy rebound to take their first lead of the game with 12:34 to play. Despite the Cake Eaters best efforts, the Braves goaltender was in a trance, stopping anything and everything coming at him. The final horn sounded and Edina collapsed on the bench and on the ice in disappointment, falling short of the prize yet again. On the other side the Braves were going nuts in celebration, knocking off the top ranked team in the MAHL and advancing to the Kellogg Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history.

Bemidji Blue Ox vs New Ulm Bavarians
There was a whole lot of powder blue to be seen as the Babes and Diamonds got ready to see who would advance to the finals. Bemidji used their size and strength to their advantage yet again, slowing the Bavarian attack and taking a 2-0 lead after 1. New Ulm finally got an odd man rush which they took advantage of midway through the second. Bemidji extended their lead back to 2 in the final minute of the second, really pulling all the momentum New Ulm had away before period break. Things got out of hand for New Ulm in the third when Bemidji exposed the defense, sending a man behind the defense for an easy breakaway and scoring on a one timer 14 seconds later to extend their lead to 5-1 less than 3 minutes into the third. The Bavarians called a timeout and regrouped. Bemidji switched to a much more conservative tactic, opting to dump the puck in as soon as they hit the red line rather than skate it in, they were just trying to kill the rest of the clock. The plan worked as the time slowly ticked off. New Ulm did pop one in during that time, but it was far from enough as they fall by a final score of 5-2. The Blue Ox are headed to the Kellogg Cup Final for the first time in their 35 year history.

Will the Braves bring the Cup to the East Side? Or will the Blue Ox bring it up to the land of Paul Bunyan?

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (4/27/2020 9:10 pm)

4/27/2020 10:54 pm  #1312

Dang! I was hoping for the Cake Eaters vs. Blue Ox finals. Oh well, here's hope for Bemidji Blue Ox to win it all.

4/28/2020 3:47 am  #1313

Welp, the Cake Eaters got punched in the money pocket. I have no dog in this fight but want White Bear Lake to come out on top.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

4/28/2020 8:04 am  #1314

My gravitation toward the color orange means I must cheer for the Braves. Too bad New Ulm couldn't get it done.

4/28/2020 8:11 am  #1315

Well, there goes my hope.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

4/28/2020 9:49 am  #1316

Should we not rename the Cake Eaters to Cake Chokers? With all that up and coming talent from the high school level available to them, they ought to have a breakthrough one of these years, right?

4/28/2020 10:23 am  #1317

I had a feeling Edina would choke. I'm happy for whoever wins the Cup in this matchup! 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/28/2020 10:33 am  #1318

I'd be happy with whomever wins...but Let's Go Babes!

4/28/2020 10:59 am  #1319

With the Wisconsin teams out, I'm going with the Braves this year.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/28/2020 11:13 am  #1320

Sad about the Bavarians, but I'll throw my support behind the Braves now.

Board footera