Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2020 6:45 pm  #1301

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

I'll go Diamonds v. Shockers, with the New Ulm boys bringing it home. I have a bias towards the South, so we'll see how things play out.

4/24/2020 7:00 pm  #1302

With half the Super Series field consisting of first-timers, it's only right that it ends with a first-time Cup winner...this is what I'm rooting for.

4/24/2020 7:46 pm  #1303

Please Redbirds, let's win it!

4/24/2020 11:30 pm  #1304

Even though my current locale would dictate that I root for the Mavericks, I grew up playing soccer for the Bavarians in in Milwaukee, so I think my heart is with the "Bayern von Neu Ulm!"

4/25/2020 5:41 pm  #1305

1974 Kellogg Cup Super Series; Playdowns

Sioux City Shockers vs Eveleth Redbirds
Eveleth came to Bloomington for the first time only to face off with the Sioux City Shockers from Iowa. Despite having 17x less people, Eveleth lives and breathes hockey so it was interesting to see whether the small town from the Iron Range could take on the big city from the south. Eveleth got on the board early, gaining confidence in the big show as over 16,000 packed the Met Center. It was a close one for the rest of the game with chances few and far between. The Redbirds managed to add to their lead midway through the third on a tip in front. All they had to do from then on was hold on which they did, keeping the Shockers off the board for 60 minutes to advance to the Great Eight.

White Bear Lake Braves vs Cottage Grove Yellow Jackets
The Jackets were the surprise of the tournament, with nobody expecting them to get past the Moose. Despite the upset to get here, Cottage Grove looked out of their element in this one as the Braves had their way for three periods. White Bear had buried 5 by the end of the game while keeping the Jackets to only one.

South St. Paul Mavericks vs Richfield Roosters
Two teams from the Cities were facing off in this one which turned out to be anyone's game. The Cocks and Mavs were very evenly matched, each getting some good looks but both also playing solid on defense. At the end of regulation both teams had scored once, sending us to overtime tied at 1. Richfield entered the SSP zone 3 on 2, nothing was available so the puck carrier pulled up at the hash mark and dumped it behind the net to get picked up by a teammate. After dumping it in he slid into the slot where he received a pass from his teammate behind the goal line for a one timer that beat the goalie five hole to send Richfield to the Great Eight.

New Ulm Bavarians vs Fargo Titans
Fargo and New Ulm both looked pretty slow in this one and it was actually quite a boring game until New Ulm began to take control in the third. Fargo was actually in the lead 1-0 until the Bavarians scored a pair of goals 1:03 apart to flip everything upside down and actually give the diamonds the lead with under 5 minutes to go. The Met Center was still buzzing as the final horn sounded, confirming the comeback win for New Ulm and ending the Titans season.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/25/2020 7:15 pm  #1306

...... The roost is loose?

4/26/2020 6:38 pm  #1307

1974 Kellogg Cup Super Series; Great Eight

Edina Cake Eaters vs Eveleth Redbirds
Edina was as advertised; fast, skilled, and high scoring. The Eaters took the lead 9 minutes into the game but the Reds responded shortly after to tie it back up. Eveleth, riding the momentum of their last goal, went on a tear for a couple minutes until they buried a rebound to take a 2-1 lead heading into the period break. Things took a turn in the second though as Nanne went insane, netting himself a natural hat trick in one period. Edina added another 5 minutes into the third to extend their lead to 5-2 and all but put it out of Eveleth's reach. The Redbirds didn't let up despite the deficit, fighting until the final horn sounded, managing to pull themselves to within two but no further than that as the Cake Eaters win 5-3.

Warroad Lakers vs White Bear Lake Braves
White Bear Lake had a perfect start, scoring only 14 seconds into the game. They kept it rolling through the first, extending their lead to 3-0 by the end of the 20 minutes. Warroad managed to shut down the Braves more or less in the second, preventing them from adding to their lead and finding the back of the net themselves with 3 minutes left to make the score 3-1. Warroad pulled even closer thanks to a powerplay goal and they began to seriously threaten the Braves. Before they knew what had hit them White Bear Lake had allowed the game tying goal on a breakaway as Warroad went nuts on the bench and in the crowd. The Braves called a timeout to settle things down. There was 6:40 to play when the puck was dropped. Warroad continued to buzz, but a tripping penalty gave the Braves a much needed break. The Braves won the draw and fired a quick shot from the point that was blocked by a body in front of the goal. The puck was gathered by a Brave in the mass of bodies and he quickly flung it on goal. The goalie had no idea the shot was coming and didn't see it until it was too late. The Braves regained the lead and managed to hold on until the final horn sounded, winning by a final score of 4-3.

Bemidji Blue Ox vs Richfield Roosters
The Blue Ox and their physical brand of northern hockey bulldozed the Roosters from Richfield. Richfield looked scared when they had the puck, worried about the big men in blue ready to pummel them as soon as they touched the puck. Bemidji quickly found themselves in complete control, dominating time of possession and getting very good looks that translated into goals. When the dust settled the scoreboard read 3-0 in favor of the Babes, shutting out the Cocks and advancing to the Semi Finals for the first time.

Sioux Falls Packers vs New Ulm Bavarians
Former Blue Earth rivals facing off for the first time since '69, the Hogs and Diamonds had a decent amount of disdain for one another back in the day and fans from both sides definitely remember vividly. The puck was dropped and we were underway. The first was scoreless, as was the second. The Bavarians finally broke through on a 2 on 1 chance 6:23 into the third, electrifying the mainly Minnesotan crowd on hand. The Sioux Falls faithful that made the trip to Bloomington attempted to cheer their team to a comeback chanting "Go Pack Go" to which Bavarian fans joined in with "No Pack No". Whether the chanting had anything to do with it or not I don't know, but Sioux Falls bounced back with a goal of their own just past the halfway point of the period, tying the game at 1. Overtime was needed and the tension could be felt from both sides. An intercepted pass gave possession to New Ulm who went in 3 on 1. The puck carrier looked shot but slid it over to his winger for a one timer. The shot was miraculously saved by a flailing Packer goalie, but the rebound went right to a Bavarian who popped it home to send the Diamonds to the Semi Finals with a 2-1 win.

Let me know what you think comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (4/26/2020 6:38 pm)

4/26/2020 6:52 pm  #1308

It's official...whoever wins the Cup, I will be JAZZED! (Though an Eaters vs. Babes final would be my top preference)

4/26/2020 8:33 pm  #1309

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined. Atleast were likely to get a new winner, go everyone but New Ulm!

4/27/2020 10:27 am  #1310

Alright Diamonds, time to shine!

Board footera