Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2020 12:49 pm  #1261

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Superior into the playoffs, Eau Claire into the playoffs. LaCrosse just needs to take care of their business

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/17/2020 2:18 pm  #1262

1. My oh my...a couple of LONG playoff streaks have come to an end (the V's missed the playoffs for the first time since '49, and the Bruisers missed 'em for the first time in team history!) Times are surely changing...
2. How bout 'dem Rubber Kings!  I knew they were gonna be a force, and I'm ready to see 'em make a run this year like Little Canada's from last year (whenever River Falls and/or Menomonie join, that's going to be a LIT rivalry...but I'm in no rush at all this time)
3. Sounds like the Rockets are in trouble...however, they're in a good location for a corporate sponsor.  After all, Roseville happens to be the birthplace to the successful Dayton Hudson Corporation's up-and-coming discount store division, which, coincidentially, was founded a year before the Rockets. 

The name of that division?  Target.

4/17/2020 3:13 pm  #1263

Burmy87 wrote:

3. Sounds like the Rockets are in trouble...however, they're in a good location for a corporate sponsor.  After all, Roseville happens to be the birthplace to the successful Dayton Hudson Corporation's up-and-coming discount store division, which, coincidentially, was founded a year before the Rockets. 

The name of that division?  Target.

Target will take over sponsorship then force an identity change to get their logo on the chest any way possible. The Roseville Snipers, perhaps? No no.. The Roseville Sharp Shooters Presented by the Target Corporation. Yes, that has a ring to it. Would love to see it all fit into the name area for the standings template haha!

4/17/2020 3:49 pm  #1264

1973/74 Regular Season - South

Mankato emerged this season as a serious threat, dethroning the Bavarians after winning the league the 4 seasons prior. It was the Moose and Diamonds at the top of the table by a wide margin, followed by the Governors and Dragoons. Albert Lea had a breakout season thanks in large part to rookie goalie Robert Mino who made a name for himself by winning some games for the Dragoons nearly single handedly. Owatonna had a disappointing season after making it all the way to the Super Series a year ago to not even making the playoffs, finishing in 5th. Faribault bounced back a bit after a disastrous season last year, finishing in sixth. The bottom three were the Musicians, Green Giants, and Hawks who all just couldn't quite put it together.

For the first time, the Burnsville Bucks are not league champions, Cottage Grove had a stellar season, swooping into the top spot in the South Metro. Apple Valley remained in second with the Bucks right behind in third. Hastings and Eagan fought for the final playoff spot with the Rivermen pulling away at the end of the year to return to the post season. Lakeville and Rosemount were less than average this year, but still finished ahead of the lowly Shakopee Six.

Sioux Falls made it three in a row, cruising all season long to the title and the number 5 ranking in the MAHL. The Shockers were next, a ways ahead of the rest, but not really pressuring the Hogs either. The middle of the pack was wild, with a couple new faces finishing in third and fourth. Marshall returns to the playoffs in the three spot after missing the last 3 years, and the Buffs finally were able to get it together and will be making their first playoff appearance. Luverne were the unlucky ones in this scenario, coming in fifth. At the bottom of the table were the Paddlefish and Stamps, Spirit Lake had a remarkably bad season compared to what they have become accustomed to, missing the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

We have a new champion in the Valley, the Northfield Outlaws have won the VHL title for the first time, becoming only the 6th champion in league history (Austin, La Crosse, both Rochester, and Mankato prior to moving). The Outlaws just came into their own this year, building on a good season a year ago and emerging as a contender. In second were the Mustangs, followed by the Brewers and Chiefs to round out the top 4. The Rochester Robins finished in 5th, missing the playoffs for only the second time in their 23 year history, ending their 15 year streak in the process. Austin was somewhat disappointing this season, failing to live up to expectations, but at least they finished ahead of Winona and Canon Falls.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/17/2020 3:50 pm  #1265

4/17/2020 4:02 pm  #1266

The Moose won the BEC? Pheasants, Buffaloes, AND Dragoons in the playoffs? WINONA IS NOT THE WORST? Things are changing here.

4/17/2020 4:31 pm  #1267

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoff Trees

4/17/2020 10:31 pm  #1268

Alright! The Cake Eaters are number 1! I'm hoping they can go all the way! 

4/18/2020 5:36 pm  #1269

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Knockout Round - North

Coleraine Trout vs Little Falls Pilots
Little Falls took an early lead and built on it, burying the little town with a dream with 4 goals through 2 period. The Trout did manage to have a bit of a comeback in the third, netting two goals, but the Pilots ultimately held on, winning their first playoff game in 18 years by a score of 4-2.

Eveleth Redbirds vs St. Cloud Storm
The Storm put up a better fight than expected, keeping up with the Redbirds all game long, tied 2-2 in the third. A tripping penalty gave Eveleth a chance at a dangerous time. A shot was taken from the point that took a deflection off a man in front, beating the goalie and giving Eveleth the lead. The Birds would manage to hold on, nearly extending their lead a couple of times, winning 3-2 to advance.

​Duluth Voyageurs vs Grand Marais Explorers
Two Lake Superior teams named after the French did battle to see who would advance. The answer became clear quite early on with Duluth scoring twice in the first and twice again in the third all while holding Grand Marais to less than 20 shots on goal. When the final horn sounded the scoreboard read 4-0 in favor of Le Bleus.

Fargo Titans vs Thief River Falls Railers
It came down to the wire in the Coliseum as the Titans and Railers battled tooth and nail for 60 minutes to no avail. The score was tied at two so we went to overtime. Thief got a chance early on, ringing a shot off the pipe on a 2 on 1 chance, but then the momentum turned to Fargo. The Titans were able to pin the Railers in their own zone for over a minute and a half while they themselves managed to get a change to get fresh legs. The Railers began to show their fatigue, allowing the Titans to get into dangerous areas, resulting in a one time blast from the slot that blew past the goalie and sent Fargo to the next round.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!6.9.1

4/19/2020 2:32 am  #1270

I guess the price of admission into the knockout round is a date with the defending champs. *gulp* I don't foresee us faring well against a ranked team but here's hoping for a run!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera