Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2020 5:23 pm  #1121

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Cmon stars, gotta ruin the fun?

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (3/26/2020 5:23 pm)

3/27/2020 3:35 pm  #1122

I mean, it goes without saying that I don't like Thunder Bay. But the Barbarians winning was nice.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

3/27/2020 4:46 pm  #1123

1972 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - Twin Cities

Minneapolis Millers vs White Bear Lake Braves
White Bear had a great start to the game, finding themselves up 1-0 midway through the first, but Minneapolis woke up late in the third. The Millers tied it up heading into the second, then built on their lead, taking a commanding 3 goal lead into the third. The Braves managed to get back on the board late in the third to bring the score to 4-2, but it would not be enough to come back, sending the Mighty Millers to their 7th Super Series.

South St. Paul Mavericks vs Bloomington West Terriers
Wakota Arena was packed as the Mavs welcomed the Terriers from Bloomington. The first was scoreless, but high in action with both goalies doing everything they could to keep the puck out of the net. The deadlock finally was broke when South St. Paul buried a shot form the dot over the Terrier goalie's shoulder. West would strike next, but not until the third, tying the game at one and gaining momentum. The Terriers were buzzing after their goal, taking control of play and getting a number of good looks at goal. A shot from the point took a lucky bounce off a skate and into the net, giving West their first lead of the game. South St. Paul remained calm, taking a timeout to get a game plan set up now that they trailed. A few minutes went by with no action and the Mavericks broke out of their zone with numbers. The puck carrier peeled off to the right, pulling the defenseman with him. He sauced a pass into the slot where his teammate was able to skate to it, tipping it on goal. The goalie got a piece of it, but it was not enough to stop it from crossing the line, tying the game at 2 late. We went to overtime and the tempo remained high as both teams went back and forth down the ice. West carried it into the SSP zone just past the halfway point of OT. The puck carrier faked a pass, cutting into the slot and ripping a shot past the Maverick goalie, sending the "Terrible Terriers" to their first Super Series.

Maplewood Retrievers vs Roseville Rockets
Roseville is coming in off their biggest win in franchise history, but Maplewood had the better of the regular season series in the East Metro Hockey League this year, winning all 3 of their meetings. This one was no different, with the Retrievers taking control early on and refusing to give it up, burying three goals while keeping the Rockets off the scoreboard for 60 minutes. Roseville has nothing to be ashamed of, pulling off the upset of the year in their first game, but it is Maplewood who will be playing in Bloomington, punching their ticket to their first Super Series in their first season.

St. Paul Victorias vs Richfield Roosters
It was a high scoring game in the St. Paul Auditorium as the V's welcomed the Roosters with over 7,000 boos. The home ice advantage was hug in the first with St. Paul scoring thrice to take a commanding 3-0 lead after 1. Richfield seemed to have regrouped in the second, playing much calmer and not making as many mistakes, the Cocks managed to hit the twine twice to get right back into the game, but a last minute goal by the V's made it 4-2 heading into the third. St. Paul was the better team in the third, outshooting Richfield 12-6, but the Roosters were the only team to score in the third. The clock ticked to the final minute with the score 4-3 in favor of the V's so the Roosters pulled their goalie. The crowd erupted into "Let's Go V's" chants as Richfield set up in the Victorias zone. The clock continued to run as the crowd continued to cheer on their team to hold the lead. A point blast was blocked by a Victoria who laid out to stop it, causing the arena to erupt with cheers. The puck was pinned along the boards as the final seconds ticked off the clock and the final horn sounded, sending St. Paul to their 7th Super Series, ending the 3 year drought.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

3/27/2020 7:52 pm  #1124

My oh my...we could have us a budding power in the Terrible Terriers (TWO straight upsets of top-level seeds)...I wish this was real and that I was alive in '72 so I could hear what a true hometown crowd at the Met Center sounds like.

3/27/2020 11:47 pm  #1125

Felt like I aught to make graphics to put faces to the mascots of the MAHL, so here are Weston and Conrad.

3/28/2020 9:06 am  #1126

Both "aye, let's name it after a dog" teams made it to the Super Series. How pleasant.

3/28/2020 2:31 pm  #1127

1972 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - South

New Ulm Bavarians vs Burnsville Bucks
The defending champs are on a mission to get back to the Met Center and they were not going to let Burnsville get in their way. The Diamonds came out flying, taking a 2-0 lead after one and building on their lead from there. The Bavarians added to their lead early in the second, but the Bucks broke the shutout 3 minutes later. New Ulm added another with under 2 minutes left in the second, holding a commanding 4-1 lead. They added one more in the third to put it away for good, advancing to their third straight Super Series.

Rochester Robins vs Luverne Flying Dutchmen
The afternoon game at Graham Arena was a defensive battle between the Robins and Dutchmen. Luverne struck first, taking the crowd out of the game. We went to the third with the Dutchmen still in the lead. Rochester began to turn the tides in the third, maintaining possession in the offensive zone and getting scoring chances. A shot was saved but the rebound was loose and slammed home by a Robin, tying the game. From there on out it was all Robins as the crowd became a factor. back and forth chants of "Orange!" "Black!" broke out as the Robins continued to apply the pressure. The puck was worked up to the point and the defenseman wound up for a slap shot, but opted to pass instead, catching the Dutchmen of guard. The Robin was all alone on the far side of the slot for a one timer that was launched under the bar, giving Rochester a 2-1 lead. That would be the final goal of the game, sending the Robins to their first Super Series.

Sioux Falls Packers vs Sioux City Shockers
One of the biggest rivalries in the Southwest Hockey Association got even bigger in this low scoring battle. The Hogs and Shockers fought tooth and nail for scoring opportunities all game long, but neither side could find the back of the net. The level of physical play would have made you think you were watching a Northland Hockey League game, uncharacteristic for these southern teams which are more known for their speed. The hate between these two was evident. We went to overtime still scoreless, shots were 24-21 in favor of the Packers.

Rochester Mustangs vs Red Wing Chiefs
The night game at Graham Arena somehow managed to be a better game than the Robins-Dutchmen. A Valley Hockey League rivalry, the Mustangs and Chiefs are squaring off for the third time in the playoffs with both teams having won once against the other. The Stangs broke first blood in the opening minute, electrifying the hometown crowd. Red Wing answered with a snipe just past the halfway point of the first. Rochester once again jumped in front in the second, but the Chiefs buried two of their own within a 2 minute span to take a 3-2 lead before the 3rd. Rochester was cheered on by the hometown crowd as "Lets Go Mustangs" chants broke out throughout the arena. Red Wing got called for slashing, setting up the Mustangs powerplay unit which wasted no time tipping a shot from the point past the Chief goalie, tying the game at 3. We went to overtime and the momentum was all in favor of the home team, with Red Wing looking on their heels. Rochester was buzzing around the offensive zone, looking for an opportunity. The puck carrier slid into the slot, firing a shot on goal that was pushed aside. The rebound was gathered by the Chiefs who attempted to chip it out of the zone. The attempt was blocked though, giving Rochester control with Red Wing out of position. The puck was dumped to a forward in the slot who deked forehand to backhand, lifting the puck over the Red Wing goalie and into the net, sending the Mustangs to their 3rd Super Series, their first in 7 years.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

3/28/2020 2:32 pm  #1128

3/28/2020 8:07 pm  #1129

Two Rochesters, Stars and Diamonds, and Minneapolis and St. Paul...
This is a great Super Series! I love the expansion to 12 teams.

3/28/2020 10:05 pm  #1130

JamHeronArk wrote:

Two Rochesters, Stars and Diamonds, and Minneapolis and St. Paul...
This is a great Super Series! I love the expansion to 12 teams.

Two Canadian teams, two "let's name ourselves after this guy's dog" teams, the Pack and the Jacks...I second the cheers.

Only question is: what do we call the Super Series' "round before the Great Eight"?

Board footera