Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2020 7:52 pm  #1

Birmingham to the NHL, it's more logical than you think.

There are many different locations to get an NHL team, I think Birmingham needs to be considered on of the contenders.
If the NHL expands South again, Birmingham has more consistency for keeping a team compared to Atlanta, who has lost 2 NHL teams. The selling point for me is that the city has history with the NHL (The city almost had an NHL team during the WHA merger), unlike with Houston and New Orleans. there is one final thing, the city doesn't have any professional teams, let's start on the ice, shall we?
My dream NHL expansion is Quebec City and Birmingham for the next 2 teams in the league.
C&C appreciated!
 (Post-reaction note: I personally think a team will move to Houston in the time between expansion, so that’s why I bring this up.)

Last edited by Sevsdast (10/11/2020 7:45 am)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

10/10/2020 8:05 pm  #2

Re: Birmingham to the NHL, it's more logical than you think.

The thing is that you named a much more viable market in Houston and you're missing some of the information. The thing is that one, Houston is like..one of the biggest TV markets not in the NHL, secondly they do have a building that is capable of housing the equipment for Ice Surfacing in the Toyota Center where the Dallas AHL team played for almost 20 years. Plus Houston also had a WHA Team and one that was much more successful than it's Birmingham counterpart. So it's plainly more obvious than the NHL would move someone to Houston over Alabama. 

10/10/2020 8:11 pm  #3

Plus, I don't think the NHL will be the first league to expand past 32 teams. Honestly, I don't see any league ever going that far without spreading through multiple leagues that playoff in one big tourney at some point in the "off-season".

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

10/10/2020 8:15 pm  #4

Darknes wrote:

The thing is that you named a much more viable market in Houston and you're missing some of the information. The thing is that one, Houston is like..one of the biggest TV markets not in the NHL, secondly they do have a building that is capable of housing the equipment for Ice Surfacing in the Toyota Center where the Dallas AHL team played for almost 20 years. Plus Houston also had a WHA Team and one that was much more successful than it's Birmingham counterpart. So it's plainly more obvious than the NHL would move someone to Houston over Alabama. 

true, but this is my opinion, and I value history with a little bit of Birmingham arena renovation. I understand all of the information though.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

10/10/2020 9:04 pm  #5

It would be nice for Birmingham to finally have a major sports franchise, but if we're talking hockey, Houston should get an NHL team before Birmingham.

Football on the other hand, they could've had an NFL team instead of Jacksonville if Legion Field was able to be rebuilt.

10/10/2020 10:21 pm  #6

Have you ever been to Birmingham? I was there a couple years ago and I really didn't see the type of viability for a pro sports franchise, especially for hockey. I would agree that Houston seems much more viable as an expansion option.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/10/2020 11:31 pm  #7

Houston does have potential for hockey, with a proper arena already available and the fourth largest population size in the U.S. The problem is getting people to invest their time in hockey when there are already three better established teams in the market.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

10/11/2020 10:29 am  #8

It would be interesting for sure. There is a little hockey in Alabama. Alabama Huntsville has a D1 team. But I still have the very low attendance of the Birmingham Iron of the AAF and that is football in Alabama. 

There are just a bunch of other cities that would get a team before. I'm thinking Milwaukee, Kansas City, Houston, Quebec City, Toronto #2 (were cities that expressed interest in the past).  I would think if they really wanted hockey in BHam they would have a minor league team. 

Former minor league teams in Alabama just remembering for fun...ECHL-Birmingham Bulls (1992-2001), WHA Birmingham Bulls (1977-1979), SPHL Birmingham Bulls and Huntsville Havoc 

Last edited by Gritty (10/11/2020 10:34 am)

10/11/2020 10:44 am  #9

I feel like Houston is #1 on the NHL's radar, although they have a bit of issue with the Rockets owner owning the arena and I believe he said he won't rent it out to a hockey team unless he's part of ownership. On CCSLC the topic came up of Florida's struggles and we generally came to the conclusion that Quebec is the most likely landing spot for them if they move, with an NHL-ready arena, ownership, and a rabid fanbase.

10/11/2020 10:55 am  #10

Birmingham is definitely low on the NHL’s expansion radar. I’d say Houston, Quebec City, Portland (OR), Milwaukee, Hartford and Kansas City gets teams before Birmingham

Board footera