Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2020 4:06 pm  #261

Re: National Dashball League

Boston Tossers Get that tea off the ship! Loose reference to the Tea Party?

Montreal Harfangs Was a good suggestion, so I will back Darknes. Unless the once popular restaurant chain makes a comeback and sponsors the team.. then I want the Montreal Hooters/Peckers.

Washington Sentinels I think this is a unique name that describes a soldier with a fairly specific job that falls in line with Washington. DC's responsibility is to keep watch over our nation, guarding and detecting all threats. 

Washington Vedettes is another option that I actually use in a video game just because it sounds cool (kind of like Cadets). This has a double meaning. 1. a mounted sentry positioned beyond an army's outposts to observe the movements of the enemy (In line with the Sentinels suggestion) 2. a leading star of stage, screen, or television. For the second one I take it as our nation's capital being our leading star even though they don't have one on the flag. Also is a nod to the beloved three stars on the DC flag (Could play with that imagery if the name is chosen). It is a stretch, but never has been seen in sports.

Minnesota... this one is tough, but I think they would be the one with an odd name. Liked the influence of Aurora Borealis, so if it goes that direction I think The Lights of Minnesota would be fun.

Twin City Metros Guess they are known for their transit system.

Twin City Volunteers As of 2011, 40% of the adult population devote free time to volunteer work. Think it be a classy move to acknowledge the good will of the people who call the Twin Cities their home.

Minnesota Honeycrisps The Honeycrisp Apple is Minnesota's state fruit. Invented by the University of Minnesota.

Twin City Harlequins Minneapolis is home of the nations oldest sketch comedy theater.... and this one is fun to say.

I have so many for Minnesota because of Section30's name the team. The place is odd and fascinating to say the least. 

6/25/2020 12:08 pm  #262

Possible realignment idea
East: New York Boston Philadelphia Washington
North: Montreal Toronto Chicago Minnesota
South: Atlanta Nashville Orlando Miami
West: Seattle Texas LA California

6/26/2020 9:29 pm  #263

August 12, 2026
Miami B/C Patrick Sanders Jr. has just announced his retirement after 10 seasons in the NDL. Sanders, who will turn 43 in October, spent his first six seasons with the Palms before being sent to Philadelphia in the Ray Thomas trade. Both Sanders and Thomas were instrumental in leading the Row to their first NDL championship in 2023. Sanders was traded back to the Palms in 2025, and was able to end his career with the same franchise he started with, albeit in a different location. Sanders is expected to stay with the team as an assistant coach.

September 1, 2026
NDL free agency just got underway, and the Nashville Fugitives have already made a big splash. Nashville has made W/K Will Orleans the new highest paid player in the NDL, as the two parties agreed to a deal worth $138 million over 9 years. Orleans blossomed into a truly elite player during his time in California, and the prospect of him teaming up with F/C Michel Blanchard is frankly a bit terrifying.

September 9, 2026
As expected, Seattle head coach Keith Morris has announced that 2026 was his last year on an NDL bench. Morris has helmed the Sawyers since the league’s beginning, and while the team struggled a bit in his first few years, Morris has since led the team to several successful campaigns, finishing with a 259-193 record over ten seasons. Having turned 72 during the 2026 season, Morris has been revered as one of the league’s elder statesmen, but in his own words, “I’m getting too much elder and not enough statesman.” Morris will likely be replaced by assistant coach Austin Champion.

October 2, 2026
With the defending champion Redbacks having just turned in pick number twelve, let’s take a look at some of the stories from Round 1 of the draft. The Sabertooths, unsurprisingly, took Army product Tyler Charles, who will help them firm up their forward depth. Miami, who had acquired New York’s #2 pick, traded down with Orlando, allowing the Orbits to take Jerimiah Lueken, while the Palms snagged physical B/ZB Keanu Jones. Toronto continued their rebuild with two top-6 picks, but otherwise, the rest of the night went without much fanfare. The full list is below:

1. LA - F/ZB Tyler Charles (Army)
2. ORL (from NY via MIA) - B/K Jerimiah Lueken (Tennessee Tech)
3. MIA (from ORL) - B/ZB Keanu Jones (Central Michigan)
4. TOR - B/ZB Michael Perez (Cleveland State)
5. ATL - B/C Brandon Smith (Memphis)
6. TOR (from CAL) - W/ZB Jacob Solis (New Mexico)
7. NSH - B/ZB Andres Burnell (Oakland)
8. CHI - B/ZB Ty McAllister (Eastern Washington)
9. SEA - Brian Amiga (North Carolina A&T)
10. PHI - W/ZB Madison Lagutenko (Troy)
11. MIA - B/ZB Isaac Luna (Idaho)
12. TEX - W/ZB Graeme Roberts (Fairleigh Dickinson)

November 28, 2026
Well, the news we feared has just been confirmed. Not only did the Sea Lions fail to re-sign W/K Will Orleans and B/ZB Kenton Snowberger, but B/ZB Nick Phipps-Joseph has signed with the Seattle Sawyers. At least Will and Snowy had the decency to go to Nashville and Philly, but I thought NPJ was better than abandoning us for a divisional rival. Either way, this is shaping up to be a disastrous offseason for the Lions, although as I’m writing this, they’ve reportedly signed Texas W/ZB Joe Day, so I guess they’re not technically doing nothing. Still. Brutal.

December 17, 2026
Big trade alert! The Nashville Fugitives and New York Chargers have agreed to a mammoth deal that will send B/C Andi Effendi, F/ZB Marcos Campos, and F/ZB Mo Kiani to the Big Apple in return for F/C Billy Moses and B/ZB Vladimir Herrera. This is largely a cap move for the Fugues, who are short on funds after several big free agent signings, including Texas B/ZB Dave Sanderson, and, obviously, California W/K Will Orleans. Still, this is a move that should benefit both teams, as New York adds talent while Nashville refocuses their roster around their new superteam.

February 4, 2027
Toronto Hogs owner Raymond Inman is reportedly recovering from stroke symptoms. Inman was rushed to Toronto Western Hospital earlier this morning. The 89-year-old Inman is expected to make a full recovery, but has handed over his duties with the Hogs to his son Ryan. Ryan’s control of the team is temporary as of now, but will likely last at least for the majority of the 2027 season and may end up being permanent with his father’s health being in question.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

6/28/2020 8:46 am  #264

Gonna be honest, I thought that offseason was gonna get people talking, but I guess not. In lieu of that, a couple teams are getting new looks for 2027. First up is the Philadelphia Row:

Old logos and uniforms:

Philly didn't change a ton in terms of logos, but they've made tweaks to everything. They've added a keystone to their primary logo to fill in some empty space, they've changed the outlining on the seahorse to eliminate the extra shade of brick, they've updated the P in their P-oar logo to the script font rather than the roundel/number/NOB font, and my personal favorite, they've added a seahorse tail to the script.

Bigger changes come in the uniform department, where the goal was to simplify things down, focusing on the striping on the oars. The design of a crew's blade is usually a unique identifier for that particular rowing club, so I thought it would be cool to base the uniforms off of that. The sleeves of each uniform, therefore, are white with two blue stripes. The shorts also follow that pattern, although they're quite unique, with the stripes wrapping around one leg and the logo on the other, becoming the first asymmetrical design in the league. Other than that, though, they've kept things pretty simple, and have cut down on brick quite a bit to let their shade of blue pop more (except, of course, on the brick alternate). They've also jumped on the white at home trend, although they may decide to switch things up occasionally.

Their court design has been tweaked a bit; Philadelphia returns to one end zone, and notably, the 3- and 5-point lines are painted blue as another callback to the blade design.

Their sig is exactly the same as before, but if this look has convinced you to support Philly, here it is again:

I think all this gives the Row a much more cohesive brand and is a good shoutout to the design of actual rowing clubs. What do y'all think? C&C appreciated!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

6/28/2020 11:57 am  #265

Trashville isn't certainly shopping from the Dumpster! I think it's an interesting offseason to be cure.

I think Philly's update makes'em look really classy!

6/28/2020 4:33 pm  #266

The Keystone is a good touch that adds to the identity a lot! Nice work!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/28/2020 9:46 pm  #267

Nice update for the Row

6/30/2020 1:43 pm  #268

The second and final team getting a new look, and an overdue one at that, is the New York Chargers:

Old logos and uniforms:

I was frankly never all that happy with the Chargers brand. There were quite a few good elements to it, but there were also quite a few bad things. Specifically, the bull logo was garbage. I'm much happier with the new iteration, which faces forward as if it is, you know, charging at you. You'll also notice the presence of black, which will be around in small quantities, instead of red, which I have no idea why I ever used to be completely honest. Also, the bronze is now a bit darker and the green is a lot brighter. The NY logo sticks around, now with a black outline. I also created a new logo using the shield from the New York City seal, an idea I borrowed from this unused NYCFC logo.

The uniforms keep most of the same elements from their previous set, including the number/NOB font, the shorts striping, and the over-the-shoulder horns, though those have been shrunk a bit to make the NOBs easier to fit. The numbers and names both have a black drop shadow, which feels very '00s in a good way. They also replaced their funkier green alt with a simpler matching one, and also added a black uniform set, which will exclusively be worn as a set.

The court goes all in with the copper court, with the shield at center court and green in the end zones:

And an updated sig for any Chargers fans out there:

I think I've salvaged the good parts of the Chargers' brand and given them something that their fans - and I - can get behind. Let me know what y'all think!

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (12/29/2020 9:29 pm)

6/30/2020 1:54 pm  #269

I love the new Chargers update! I will miss the stock market alt, it was clever and still looked good as a sort of half and half jersey.

6/30/2020 4:17 pm  #270

I think New York just jumped from one of the weakest identities to one of the best. I'm still not huge on the green and bronze scheme for NYC. But I can roll with it when the rest of the identity package isnt half bad. Good work!

Board footera