Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2019 7:42 pm  #91

Re: National Dashball League

Alright, here are the Sea Lions. Brace yourselves.

When owner Valiant LeRay announced he would be giving the team a total rebrand, it garnered - well, it garnered backlash from the few people who both a) followed dashball and b) cared what its players were wearing. Even so, the team had undeniably the biggest brand in the sport, winning the first two championships, appearing in four out of six Finals, and having yet to miss the playoffs at all. Fortunately for people like us, LeRay recognized this, explaining, "The Sea Lions are big, which I get, and they've built up a great brand over the last six years. We've been playing in the twenty-first century, but we haven't really been looking like we are. I wanted to bring us into 2023 and hopefully into the future while staying true to the past."

So yeah, at first glance, it's a pretty significant departure, what with two purples and all. The darker one is the same they've always used, though, and it remains the single largest thing tying this brand to the previous look. The sea lion remains as the primary, but gets an upgrade from sitting up on a pier or something to swimming in the sea (which, as you probably guessed, is where sea lions live). Added bonus: it still keeps a letterform, this time as a C for California. They also still have a roundel logo and a straight letter logo, though both look somewhat different than they did before. The wordmark is in the same font that got limited usage in the last identity; LeRay liked it, so he kept it around and elevated it to primary status.

The jerseys have an asymmetrical split look, which LeRay admitted was pretty arbitrary, even after the explanation that it was based on the shading in the primary logo. Either way, it does show off the double purple pretty well. The shorts have five tapering stripes that are meant to represent whiskers, and they also create a cool gradient effect from a distance without actually being one. LeRay also kept a version of the old purple alternate around, now with the new roundel and no white. The number and NOB font also get to stick around.

The court carries over the asymmetrical pattern, including two different-colored end zones, but keeps the C shape between the 3- and 5-point lines.

Well, there you have it - what I'd consider to be the NDL's first full rebrand. I'm excited to hear what you all think!

8/26/2019 2:19 am  #92

I hate it in all the best ways possible. Haha.

The two-tone purple is trippy for sure, but it works for them. The updated C-Seal is the best part of the package. That's a really nice design that should stay for good. I'm gonna miss the old brand because it was so classic and timeless to me. I imagine this look will win over a younger fanbase and the team will return to some classic roots at some point. That fade gradient on the shorts stripes is pretty cool.

Nicely done on the logo and whole package. It's definitely wild but a great brand package.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/26/2019 8:54 am  #93

Thanks! I'm definitely happier with the C-lion than I was with the S version, so I'm glad you like it too. If there's one thing I know for sure in this series, though, it's that California will eventually wear purple and cream again in some capacity; it just may not be for the next few years. That said, if the Lions come out and win 15 games next year, this is gonna be a really bad look for everyone involved.

8/26/2019 2:40 pm  #94

I'm here rooting for the Fugitives until there's a team in Boston

8/27/2019 12:10 pm  #95

As they had been for the past few years, most of the eyes on the league were focused on the two-time defending champion Texas Redbacks. Texas were heavy favorites to three-peat, and started the season looking like it. In just their fourth game, though, B/K Ares Preciado tore his ACL trying to make a save and would be out for the season. They would find his replacement in second-round pick Phil Carey, who was drafted as a B/ZB but switched to keeper and far outplayed W/K Max Schenk (who Texas drafted in the same round). Carey was no Red Planet (Ares? Mars? Get it?), but he plugged the gap adequately. The Redbacks got excellent play as usual from W/C Elide Amigazzi and B/K Semarias Garcia, got a career year from F/ZB Omaro Rubio, and benefited from a historically weak division (more on that later), but for the first time in four seasons, failed to grab the top seed.

That spot instead went to the new-look California Sea Lions. It seemed like half the starting lineup was having a breakout year, including B/ZB Kenton Snowberger, W/ZB Jay Moth, B/C Jasper Jansen, and especially B/ZB Dewitt Golf, who had been a role player with the Lions for a few years but suddenly turned into a top-tier player almost overnight. B/ZB Joel Moth, who missed a few weeks with a broken finger, still made a big impact as well. The Sea Lions had 7 players with over 30 points contributed per game, which led them to a 46-4 record, even in a West Division that once again sent three teams to the playoffs.

Nearly everyone expected the Sawyers to be back, but not many people expected the Palms to be in the mix. Not only were they in the mix, but they were one of only three teams to beat California, as well as the only team to beat them twice and the only team to beat them in San Jose. After trading F/K Ray Thomas and losing W/ZB Bruce Pointe to an ankle injury, Phoenix seemed to be heading for a tank season, but nobody told the players, who all seemed to be playing above their paygrade. The team lacks a real star, which can be a bad thing at times, but has also been beneficial, as they’ve been able to hurt opposing teams from pretty much anywhere. Eventually, the Palms found themselves battling with the Sawyers for the 4 seed and home court in the inevitable quarterfinal series between the two. With four of the first five matchups between these teams having gone to the road team, Phoenix went into KeyArena for their second-to-last game and squeaked out a six-point win to clinch the higher seed.

You might have read that last paragraph and thought that Ray Thomas was the problem. There was probably some negative chemistry in Phoenix, but Thomas certainly didn’t hurt his new team, as he would win his second MVP and fourth Defensive Player of the Year award in his first year in Philly. With Thomas sharing duties with B/K LaVarius McCargo, many teams would avoid the goal entirely for long stretches of time, which is how Thomas ended up with stats such as 4.3 goals allowed per game and 11.6 points against per game. As a team, the Row only allowed 103.8 points per game, second-best in NDL history behind only the undefeated 2021 Redbacks. They were in a battle with those same Redbacks for the 2 seed, and managed to lock it up in the second-to-last game of the season against the Fugitives.

Speaking of the Fugitives, I told you we’d get back to the Central. After notching 21 wins in their first season, there were high expectations for Trashville, but they failed to live up to them. After B/ZB Alvin Milling left for Orlando, their defense, which had held them in many close games last year, just wasn’t as good, and their offense couldn’t keep up. Chicago also had a down year due to little depth behind B/ZB Ed Maxwell, W/K Nico Boyer, and F/C Michel Blanchard, dropping from 23 wins to 19. Nobody, however, had as down a year as the Colorado Pinnacles. Their fourth-overall pick, W/C Daniel Oman, and F/K Wayne Carey fell to season-ending injuries in training camp and lost the entire year, and before the first week of the season was over, W/ZBs Perham Jahanpour and Henry Morrow had joined them. They got off on rocky footing (pun absolutely intended) and stayed there, setting an unbreakable record for fewest wins in a season, losing all 50 games.

Anyway, if that got you down, let’s talk about the feel-good story of 2023: the Orlando Orbits. After going 2-48 last season, they got busy over the offseason, picking up Alvin Milling from Nashville and W/ZB Zebedeo Perilla from Seattle. Despite the second-worst scoring offense in the league, they were able to ride a top-5 defense to a playoff berth thanks to a down year in the rest of their division. With New York suffering from injuries throughout the season and Toronto not playing up to their potential, the Orbits climbed to 25-25 and the sixth seed. Interestingly, they knew they were in the 6 spot for nearly three weeks at the end of the season and didn’t really have anything to play for, so they got a lot of time to try things out for the postseason, and they’ll need it going up against the two-time reigning champs.

8/27/2019 4:24 pm  #96

No Red Planet is tough, but maybe they're the underdogs somewhat now in these playoffs and will be underestimated. I was confused at first because I don't recall you mentioning the new playoff format, but now I realize you have a first round bye for 1-2. It feels weird, but I feel like Phoenix would have been a better matchup for Texas. Young, stupidly lucky teams like Orlando always scare me. Ha.

Colorado going 0-50 is almost astounding. That's gotta be grounds for instant folding/relocating right? I mean, geeze. How is that even possible in the modern era of sports? I'm not sure who their coach is, but I imagine some heads will roll over in Denver if the team even survives.

8/27/2019 6:04 pm  #97

Yeah, the new playoff format might've been buried in an offseason post somewhere. To clarify, yes, the top two seeds get a bye for the first round while the 3-6 seeds play best-of-3 series. The postseason advances as before, with the 1 seed playing the lowest remaining seed in the second round.

The Redbacks aren't the one seed, but they're not exactly underdogs either; a 42-8 record is still an improvement over last season's 40-10 (which did earn them the top seed). This might only make you feel worse, but Orlando isn't really being given a chance by anyone; the real trouble will more likely be having to go on the road against a talented Philadelphia or California team.

The Pinnacles really did hit rock bottom (pun once again intended), and I won't reveal their fate just yet, but there are a lot of whispers around the league, and none of them are good. 0-50 is almost impossibly bad, but that's what happens when nearly all of your team gets injured at the beginning of the season.

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (1/11/2020 4:16 pm)

8/29/2019 10:40 am  #98

Seattle Sawyers vs Phoenix Palms
The predictions for Game 1 usually boiled down into one of two arguments. The first was about the regular season matchups between these two teams, which as mentioned, resulted in 5 out of 6 games being won by the away team. The other, more serious, point was that Phoenix’s lack of a star would hurt them going up against the Sawyers, who were led (maybe carried) by B/ZB James Terry. The latter argument would prove true, as nobody on the Palms could stop Terry, who scored 21 of his team’s 136 points and assisted on 33 more. Phoenix would hang in there, thanks in large part to 20 points each from B/C Steve Locke and B/K Joel Drain, but Terry was also clutch on defense, recording 17 passes defended plus 5 more knocked down while on offense. The Sawyers would hold onto a two-score lead for most of the game before pulling away a bit in the final minutes. With the possibility to advance at home in Game 2, Seattle would keep up that momentum, and while both defenses would show up more, it would look quite a bit like Game 1, as the Palms just couldn’t seem to pull a run together. Terry would pick up another 39 points contributed as the Sawyers would earn the 2-game sweep.

Orlando Orbits vs Texas Redbacks
This one was supposed to be easy, and the Redbacks would not disappoint in Game 1. W/C Elide Amigazzi and B/K Semarias Garcia led a Texas offense that saw 5 score at least 20 points and all but one starter finish with double digits. Orlando’s defense, which got them into the playoffs, was off their game, while the Redbacks defense stepped up as well, holding the Orbits to just 99. Everything seemed to be clicking for the ‘Backs, which made it all the more surprising when Orlando was ahead by one after the first inning of Game 2. They wouldn't quite hold onto the lead, but would stay within range; their D was working again and they got some unlikely offensive contributions from sophomores F/ZB Chuck Johnson and B/ZB George Hodge. The crowd would be in it as the Orbits would keep it close through the first three quarters of the game, but the defending champs were just too much to handle. While they lost, the 20-point margin was by far the smallest of the year between these two, and it left Orlando feeling hopeful and Texas feeling a pit in their stomach as they moved on to face Philadelphia.

8/29/2019 4:55 pm  #99

I'm not buying the hype. Orlando got lucky and there's no reason to panic. Texas vs Philly will be a real battle though. Predicting it goes down to the final minute to decide the series.

8/31/2019 8:10 pm  #100

Texas Redbacks vs Philadelphia Row
In a clash between the league’s top offense and its top defense, many expected the Redbacks’ playoff experience to put them over the top. After all, Texas was playing in their tenth postseason series while Philly was playing in just their third as a team. When Game 1 started, though, it was clear the Row weren’t going down easy. They would take an early 20-6 lead and would extend it to as much as 25 before the Redbacks finally started picking it up. They would bring it back to within 4 late, but a clutch goal from W/ZB Gregorio Gentile allowed the Row to hang on and take a 1-0 series lead. Texas would pick up where they left off, though, and they would use that momentum to get out to an early Game 2 lead. They would equal their 139 from the first game, but their defense would hold the Row to just 120 and earn a split heading home.

That would be about as good as it got for the ‘Backs, though, as Game 3 would see the Philadelphia defense shine. They would shut down all three scoring options, with F/ZB Elenio Field and B/ZB John Evans locking down the end zone, B/Cs Joe Kestner Jr. and Patrick Sanders Jr. manning the frontcourt, and of course, their star keepers, F/K Ray Thomas and B/K LaVarius McCargo. They would win the defensive battle, 120-109, and steal back home court advantage. The Row would keep the pressure on in Game 4, barely allowing the Redbacks to break the century mark and leaving the Texas faithful sorely disappointed. With a chance to clinch at the Wells Fargo Center, the Row would not disappoint their home crowd. Their 17-7 run in the sixth inning shelved any hopes of a Texas comeback, and Philadelphia would make their second NDLCS appearance.

Seattle Sawyers vs California Sea Lions
Facing their second divisional opponent in as many series, the Sawyers wouldn’t have the same luck against California as they did against Phoenix. The Sea Lions came out swinging, with six players scoring at least 20 points, and would control Game 1 from the jump, going on to win by 42 points and appearing to take control of the series. That would not be the case, as Seattle would come back in Game 2. B/ZB James Terry had an otherworldly night, contributing 64 points on offense and finishing with 24 points prevented on D. He would lead the Sawyers to a Game 2 win and knot up the series heading north.

The Sawyers felt confident heading into Game 3, but would be dealt a significant blow early. Terry’s most frequent connection in Game 2 had been F/ZB Walt Duncan, but just two minutes into the second quarter, he would come down awkwardly and have to come out of the game. He would later reveal he had tweaked a knee injury that he had suffered in the previous round. With Seattle having already lost their other starting forward, F/ZB Mack Lauder, they would dig to the bottom of their roster and put in 23-year-old F/ZB Jimmy Green. While Green played surprisingly well, it just wasn’t the same, and the Sawyers would only put up 95 points in Game 3. With more time to practice between games, they would recover in Game 4, but they couldn’t quite outduel California, whose 150-point performance was highlighted by 24 from W/ZB Jay Moth and 22 from B/ZB Kenton Snowberger. With their backs against the wall on the road in Game 5, the Sawyers defense stepped up and they were able to keep it close. It looked like they would pull off the win when Terry found Green in the end zone with just 2 seconds left, but a controversial delay of game call on Green would stop the clock and give California the ball at halfcourt. W/ZB Rich Abbott missed wildly on a header attempt, but it bounced right into the hands of B/K Gene Martin, whose two-handed tomahawk shot beat Sawyers B/K Clyde Edwards to give the Sea Lions the win and advance them to a very familiar terrain: the Finals.

Board footera