Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2021 12:58 am  #271

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

The Kingfishers had quite a season and I'm very proud of the resiliency of my team.

Halifax weathered a tough beginning to the season loss to Portland by bouncing back with a comeback win on a last-second goal from Leon Draisaitl against Seattle. The good vibes continued against Winnipeg. With goaltending non-existent and injuries mounting, we lost a brutal game against San Francisco in Week 4 and couldn't recover against Montreal a week later. Sitting at 2-3, Halifax was at a crossroads and spiraling toward the basement of a red-hot Eastern Conference cluster.

In a crucial season-defining moment, Halifax signed young MacKenzie Weegar from the waiver wire who had gone undrafted but showed great promise. With Barkov and Draisaitl leading the way, the Kingfishers cashed in a solid win over Calgary in Week 6 to get back to .500. Then Weegar made his first statement of the season in Week 7, leading all skaters in points for the surging Kingfishers. A quiet Mark Stone suddenly roared to life in Week 8 against Denver to keep the momentum going in a resounding victory. With the team firing on all cylinders, Draisaitl provided the fireworks in Week 9 against Chicago. Rookie goaltender Kevin Lankinen was a machine in Week 11 as the team was cruising with big wins against Charlotte and Philadelphia. The Kingfishers ran into a desperate Loons squad in Week 12 who were trying to get back into the win column and a playoff berth. With an incredibly close game, it was Weegar again who provided the backbone to comeback in the final minutes. Undeterred, the Kingfishers exploded against division rival New York and broke the magical 200 point marker. And in an end-of-season showdown against a Titans team needing to win to get into the playoffs, Halifax fell behind midway through but found their scoring spark late as Mark Stone and recent addition Craig Smith led the team to finish the season 11-3 and a playoff berth.

I am looking forward to a playoff matchup against our brotherly rivals in Boston!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/19/2021 5:54 am  #272

Stickman wrote:

QCS wrote:

Bighorns Headed To The Playoffs!!!!!

Holtby With The Win In Ot To Clutch It Out!!!!!

Hockey Stickman held a brief press conference after the dramatic end to the regular season that allowed the Denver Bighorns to slip by the Los Angeles Titans to make the playoffs.  

If anyone expected Stick to take the high road and congratulate owner QCS on an exciting end to the season, they realized their error as Stickman walked to the podium, smothered in baby-oil, wrapped in cling wrap.

Stickman immediately claimed that the Bighorns signing of Braden Holtby just that day as an illegal transaction that the league only allowed to take the Titans out.  When it was pointed out to him that the signing was perfectly legal and fair, Stickman called the reporter a communist, ripped his shirt in half Hulk Hogan styled, and ran about in circles screaming, "WHO THAT HAS EATED MY FOOD?!?!  WHO IT IS.  I KILL YOU!  KILLED!!!!!!!!!", before being removed by his bodyguards.

Sadly, the reporters were unable to get answers on why he was drenched in baby oil and wrapped in cling wrap, but they supposed it probably involved the controversy involving his personal psychic Crystal Ann, molasses, and a Hannah Montana doll.

Congrats on the win QCS!  Kick some ass out there!

I....what the f.....I don't....good god man....what....

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

4/19/2021 8:26 am  #273

Stickman wrote:

QCS wrote:

Bighorns Headed To The Playoffs!!!!!

Holtby With The Win In Ot To Clutch It Out!!!!!

Hockey Stickman held a brief press conference after the dramatic end to the regular season that allowed the Denver Bighorns to slip by the Los Angeles Titans to make the playoffs.  

If anyone expected Stick to take the high road and congratulate owner QCS on an exciting end to the season, they realized their error as Stickman walked to the podium, smothered in baby-oil, wrapped in cling wrap.

Stickman immediately claimed that the Bighorns signing of Braden Holtby just that day as an illegal transaction that the league only allowed to take the Titans out.  When it was pointed out to him that the signing was perfectly legal and fair, Stickman called the reporter a communist, ripped his shirt in half Hulk Hogan styled, and ran about in circles screaming, "WHO THAT HAS EATED MY FOOD?!?!  WHO IT IS.  I KILL YOU!  KILLED!!!!!!!!!", before being removed by his bodyguards.

Sadly, the reporters were unable to get answers on why he was drenched in baby oil and wrapped in cling wrap, but they supposed it probably involved the controversy involving his personal psychic Crystal Ann, molasses, and a Hannah Montana doll.

Congrats on the win QCS!  Kick some ass out there!

I’m starting to wonder if trying to join the AltHL is really a good idea...

Owner of the AltHL's Alaska Auroras, AltLB's Kansas City Colts, AltFL's Kentucky Stallions,  AltCAA's University of Kansas City Cosmos (2001 Legacy Champions)

4/19/2021 10:34 am  #274

In classic Bighorns fashion, we just barely sneaked into the playoffs. This time, however, we intend to do some damage.

It was quite the season for Denver, who started 3-1 with a loss to Minnesota in the first week of the season followed by three wins over New York, Los Angeles, and Quebec. The team then lost five straight to Boston, Vancouver, Portland, Halifax, and Winnipeg, to slip to 3-6. A solid win over San Francisco led to the do-or-die game against the undefeated Montreal Chevaliers. In what is the turnaround moment of the year, a 4-goal game from Andrew Copp put the Bighorns in the lead and they never looked back. Following a challenge from JamHeronArk and the Power Rankings, the Bighorns crushed the Wranglers to set up pivotal last weeks. It came down to Denver, Los Angeles, and Calgary - Denver winning out and either one of those teams losing a game would send the Bighorns to the playoffs. Denver took care of business against Toronto while both LA and Calgary also came out with close wins against teams to stay alive. It all came down to Week 14. The sudden loss of a week changed the calculations: it was do-or-die. Denver encountered a very tough Seattle team, While Calgary closed out against Charlotte to clinch, Halifax defeated Los Angeles to give Denver a chance. They controlled their own destiny. In a desperation move to gain more players, owner QCS signed Alexander Edler and Braden Holtby (on the advice of Halifax owner Steelman). It all came down to the Maple Leafs-Canucks game. Holtby put up numbers, recording 37 saves while Edler added 2. The gap was only 1.4 points as the game went to OT. The Canucks put in the goal to win the game for Holtby and send the Bighorns over the Seawolves and to the playoffs.

With a starting line of Sidney Crosby, Nino Niederreiter, Andrew Copp, Mario Ferraro, John Klingberg, and Jordan Binnington, the Bighorns look to take on the 13-1 1-seed Montreal Chevaliers for the second time this year. Denver was able to hand Montreal their only loss of the year so far and in order to progress past the first round of the playoffs for the first time they must do it again.

Welcome to the Hockey Mountains.

Last edited by QCS (4/19/2021 10:34 am)

4/19/2021 5:05 pm  #275

The Arrows are getting ready to go against the Quebec Owls in the opening round of the playoffs. Here is the lineup heading into the week. Let's go Arrows! #aimtowin #althlplayoffs2021 #WPGArrows #goarrowsgo

4/20/2021 9:13 am  #276

Due to the high interest in the AltHL Playoffs we wanted to give you daily updates for how the series are going.

4/20/2021 10:39 am  #277

That Winnipeg vs Quebec matchup wins best looking for sure. Great look inside the league for those on the outside!

4/20/2021 10:52 am  #278

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

That Winnipeg vs Quebec matchup wins best looking for sure. Great look inside the league for those on the outside!

I think I'd vote Halifax vs Boston, personally.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/20/2021 4:24 pm  #279

Best looking is tough. I may have to go with WPG / QUE too but anything with the Halifax sweater is tough to beat tough.

4/20/2021 6:58 pm  #280

Board footera