Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2021 4:35 pm  #211

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Gritty wrote:

Not super happy about last week's showing from Montreal. Last week I scored only 104 points. This week 101 in three days. The Denver defense was tough. 

how do you do this

101 in three days is absolutely absurd

4/01/2021 4:49 pm  #212

Honestly luck. Helps to have a lot of Avalanche on the squad. 

4/01/2021 5:29 pm  #213

Gritty wrote:

Honestly luck. Helps to have a lot of Avalanche on the squad. 

Yeah, Colorado's been going off this week. Not too happy that both of my goalies have to play them this week.

4/01/2021 5:35 pm  #214

QCS wrote:

Gritty wrote:

Not super happy about last week's showing from Montreal. Last week I scored only 104 points. This week 101 in three days. The Denver defense was tough. 

how do you do this

101 in three days is absolutely absurd

He called his boys in the Avalanche front office and told them to step it up. Lmao.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/05/2021 8:53 am  #215

Dear QCS and his Bighorns,
Well played. I cannot complain. I told you to step up your game and you did.
Sincerely,
JamHeronArk

We're back with more power rankings. And because I constantly seek self-improvement, I'd like to welcome my new friend, the JHALO rankings. Using brand-new Sheets witchery, JHALO builds upon the age-old formula of the JmeLO rankings (which covers points scored and hot streaks) and adds win-loss and strength of win-loss record to the mix. As always, more details lie in the spoiler.

AFAQ (Anticipated Frequently Asked Questions):

WHAT?
Well, there has been much discourse about the controversial nature of the JmeLO rankings. Usually I have come to the defense of my rankings, but sometimes you must stop and realize the folly of your ways. While I believe the JmeLO rankings show fairly accurately the current strength of the team, more season-long attributes must come into play to show the POWER of POWER RANKINGS.

Wait, what about JmeLO, where did that go?
Well, my friend and yours, JmeLO, has been relegated to the lower right hand portion of each team's logo in the ranking as a show of how powerful a team is based on points scored. JmeLO is also the base for JHALO (more on that later).

How does the JHALO work?
Teams start the season with a rating of 500 bees (because all good systems have bees as the fundamental units). Each week, each team's JHALO is changed from last week's by the same amount as their JmeLO plus a strength-of-game modifier. This SoG modifier is based on the current record of the teams they have faced. In short, if they face a team with a good record and win, the mod is a large positive. If they lose, it is a small negative. If a team faces a team with a bad record and win, well that's expected; the mod is a small positive. If that team loses, then the mod is a large negative. (It's like losing to the Jets: inexcusable and must be punished.) These mods will continue to update old weeks' JHALO ratings throughout the year as the records of the teams they've played changes (just like when a team beats in week one a team that starts 0-3 and wins their next eleven games; that first win "is looking pretty good.") These mods also reward pure W/L gains as you have a severe net positive of ~60 bees (I think) if you win your game.

Why JHALO?
I felt that the return to the JHA-ELO portmanteau that was passed over for JmeLO was necessary. With the win-loss aspect important once more, the connection to ELO can be reaffirmed.

I have an irrational lack of fear of numbers; where can I find the spreadsheet?
You brave soul.

Hotel?
Trivago.

Just a quick heads-up for those of you who weren't inclined to read the spoilers: JmeLO rankings (essentially a measure of how strong a team is at the moment and also the old method of power rankings) are displayed for each team to the lower right of their logo.

4/05/2021 9:34 am  #216

We are just three weeks away from the start of the 2021 Alt Cup Playoffs! With wins this week we had two teams officially punch their tickets to the tournament. Additionally, the Sawblades are the WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS. They are also a win away from being named Adams Cup Champions. The Chevaliers are chasing down the Canadian Shield.  

The two teams that are on the outside looking into the playoffs are Minnesota and Denver. Halifax, Quebec and Boston are closing in on playoff spots as well. 

The game of the week is without a doubt the Loons and the Arrows. This could very well be the Central Conference Championship. 

4/05/2021 10:22 am  #217

Hey Gritty, is the Arrows' jump to 3 assuming they win the central?

4/05/2021 10:47 am  #218

ANDY! wrote:

Hey Gritty, is the Arrows' jump to 3 assuming they win the central?

Yep, division winners get the top three seeds.

JamHeronArk,
Thank you for a great game. I also appreciate being moved up in the Power Rankings.
QCS

In other news,

4/05/2021 11:03 am  #219

That is one horny D.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/05/2021 1:21 pm  #220

Man, that is awesome to see. Unfortunately, we don’t get to marinate in the success due to our upcoming schedule. With LA, Quebec and Boston left, the chances of finishing 14-1 are just as likely as finishing 11-4. I have no clue how things will shake out.

Board footera