Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2021 4:07 pm  #201

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Beat the undefeated best team in the league... ✓

Score the third-most points in the league that week... ✓

Move up in the power rankings and pass a team I've beaten... X

It's now my turn to complain about JMelo, it seems.

Last edited by QCS (3/29/2021 4:14 pm)

3/29/2021 4:26 pm  #202

QCS wrote:

Move up in the power rankings... X

Hey, did you move down?

Actually, 6th and 7th didn’t break 85 last week. I’m surprised 6 through 9 didn’t budge at all. Sure enough, I plummeted after being top 2 scores a week prior, and a 7 game win streak that included 4 above 140 pts. It’s how the cookie crumbles. Denver will get familiar with it if they keep up the winning habits.

3/29/2021 5:28 pm  #203

Kind of unsure how Winnipeg who isn't even in the playoff picture is ranked number one... but sooo glad somebody finally took down Montreal #GoDenver #EinsteinArenaBros

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/29/2021 5:52 pm  #204

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

Kind of unsure how Winnipeg who isn't even in the playoff picture is ranked number one... but sooo glad somebody finally took down Montreal #GoDenver #EinsteinArenaBros

Honestly, it is a bit confusing why Fantrax has it that way. Winnipeg is 6-5 and tied with Minne and LA. They also list Winnipeg at the top of the Central above Minne, but then have Minne ahead in the overall standings. I haven't played either Minne or LA, but have more points and a 4-0 record against the division, there is some tie-breaker somewhere, but hopefully, it shouldn't matter if the Arrows can keep up their hot streak. Looking forward to an intense playoff push.

3/29/2021 6:58 pm  #205

QCS wrote:

Move up in the power rankings and pass a team I've beaten... X

Ah, allow me to welcome you to our favorite pastime.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/29/2021 9:02 pm  #206

Wallflower wrote:

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

Honestly, it is a bit confusing why Fantrax has it that way. Winnipeg is 6-5 and tied with Minne and LA. They also list Winnipeg at the top of the Central above Minne, but then have Minne ahead in the overall standings. I haven't played either Minne or LA, but have more points and a 4-0 record against the division, there is some tie-breaker somewhere, but hopefully, it shouldn't matter if the Arrows can keep up their hot streak. Looking forward to an intense playoff push.

I believe that the way that tiebreakers are determined in this situation is by comparing the head-to-head records of each team against all other teams tied at the same record. Minnesota beat LA in Week 7 and is 1 - 0. LA is conversely 0 - 1. Still, this method would put WPG in the eighth playoff spot with a 0 - 0 record. The only justification I have for why Fantrax would keep the Arrows out of the playoffs is that they think (for whatever unfathomable reason) that having a losing H2H record is better than not having an H2H record. Still, the division standings should determine the top playoff seeds at the end of the season, with the five Wild Cards being chosen later. Thus, the Arrows should be 3, and Minnesota should be eighth, and the Titans should not be in the playoffs, if the playoffs ended today.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

QCS wrote:

Hey, did you move down?

Actually, 6th and 7th didn’t break 85 last week. I’m surprised 6 through 9 didn’t budge at all. Sure enough, I plummeted after being top 2 scores a week prior, and a 7 game win streak that included 4 above 140 pts. It’s how the cookie crumbles. Denver will get familiar with it if they keep up the winning habits.

The clustering I mentioned wasn't an irrelevant tidbit. Over the same rankings (1-5 and 6-10), the ranges were much higher last week (48 bees from 1 to 5 and 78 bees from 6-10 respectively). What happened this week was a squeeze, with the top teams in each "peloton" underperforming and those lower-ranked teams overperforming. Again, the rankings care not for your feelings (or else Calgary would be the clear #1 for the eleventh straight week) or who you beat (or else Halifax's loss to San Francisco would be coming back to hurt them). When given an objective metric of team performance, what else should be used to determine skill?

In conclusion, there is great mystery in the inner machinations of fantasy hockey (haha numbers go brrrrrr). Just because your team is ranked lowly doesn't mean your team can't randomly pull a win out of a hat against the clear league favorites. If your team is under-ranked, go ahead, and prove the rankings wrong. Any team can win any given game. (And as a side note, please understand that these response-reactionary posts come from nothing but good humor. You are allowed to poke and complain about JmeLO, just as I am allowed to poke and complain about your poking and complaining. No system's perfect, as is no human. But, let me reiterate, haha numbers go brrrrr.)

3/29/2021 9:37 pm  #207

JamHeronArk wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

QCS wrote:

Hey, did you move down?

The clustering I mentioned wasn't an irrelevant tidbit. Over the same rankings (1-5 and 6-10), the ranges were much higher last week (48 bees from 1 to 5 and 78 bees from 6-10 respectively). What happened this week was a squeeze, with the top teams in each "peloton" underperforming and those lower-ranked teams overperforming. Again, the rankings care not for your feelings (or else Calgary would be the clear #1 for the eleventh straight week) or who you beat (or else Halifax's loss to San Francisco would be coming back to hurt them). When given an objective metric of team performance, what else should be used to determine skill?

In conclusion, there is great mystery in the inner machinations of fantasy hockey (haha numbers go brrrrrr). Just because your team is ranked lowly doesn't mean your team can't randomly pull a win out of a hat against the clear league favorites. If your team is under-ranked, go ahead, and prove the rankings wrong. Any team can win any given game. (And as a side note, please understand that these response-reactionary posts come from nothing but good humor. You are allowed to poke and complain about JmeLO, just as I am allowed to poke and complain about your poking and complaining. No system's perfect, as is no human. But, let me reiterate, haha numbers go brrrrr.)

Counterpoint: I'd argue that beating the #1 team in the league is proving the rankings wrong. If it was based purely on points, than I would understand, as I do have about 15 points less than Quebec. But, I also beat them, and also outscored them by 20 points last week. If I beat you will I go up to 8?

3/29/2021 10:16 pm  #208

I don't know enough about the formula used or am talented enough to improve it. But I will say there may be a difference between something called power rankings and a scientific formulaic approach. For example, there was sometimes a difference between the AP Poll (power rankings) and the BCS formula. Sometimes they differed because the eye test produced different opinions. 

Factors that should influence power rankings: 
1.) Record. Portland and Montreal should be at the top simply because of their records. 10-1 teams should not be ranked behind a team with a 6-5 record. 
2.) Points scored. 
3.) Opponents, if you really want to get into the weeds. Montreal (I use them as an example simply cause they are mine and I know more about them0 just as an example has beaten teams ranked #2, #3, #4 #5 and #6 in the rankings. I assume other teams have similar situations. A 6-5 team who has played tough teams is better than a 6-5 team who has played easier teams. 
4.) Trending I think teams on hot streaks can be ranked higher. 

It may be interesting if we used Jam's formula as a BCS and we conducted an AP style voted rankings. That way we could take into account all of the thoughts that people have put forth. 

Just for the record the tiebreakers that we will be using...

The three division winners will be seeded 1,2,3 in order of finish.
The wildcards will then be slotted in the remaining spots 4-8. 

1.) Head to Head (this will be in the case of a two way tie for any position in the playoffs)
2.) Most points scored (ultimately this ensures the best teams get into the playoffs).
3.) Least points scored 
4.) Division Record

Fantrax doesn't always automatically take these tiebreakers into account during the season. I have set up the league so I will be setting up the playoff match ups manually. Therefore we won't have to worry about a current Winnipeg / Minnesota situation towards the end. I'll try to pay attention to that as I do the playoff primer and matchup previews. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks jam for the work as always. 

3/30/2021 6:59 am  #209

I’m 1-10 and I’m complaining that Jam’s results are complete BS. I’m way too highly ranked.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

4/01/2021 4:11 pm  #210

Not super happy about last week's showing from Montreal. Last week I scored only 104 points. This week 101 in three days. The Denver defense was tough. 

Board footera