Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2020 10:06 pm  #81

Re: Term 1- Group 1

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I really like that shade of green! My mind went immediately to a Kelly and Gold color scheme, which I think would look gorgeous for a Hawaii team! For the mascot though I think something like Cardinals (I know it's a bit hard with the color scheme), Sparrows, Ducks or Mallards would be some collegiate names we could go with. Hawaii has a lot of unique bird names which might be tempting to choose but imagining an old school, I'm not sure if they'd pick such a unique mascot that nobody outside of Hawaii would really recognize. For example, a quick Google search leads me to find out the Rainbow Warriors we know of today started as the more basic Deans. Which leads me to support my idea of a more traditional name, as much of a downer that idea could be.
Also it shouldnt matter too much, but the founding date is way to old for a Hawaiian school. I'm going to suggest we change it to 1900-1950 since that's more align with Hawaii's history. Hawaii's oldest school irl was founded in 1907. Hawaii also wasn't a US territory until the 1890's. So I think pushing it back 100 years makes more sense
As for a first idea for a name for the country, I say Hilo, which is one of UH's bigger campus's irl, would be a good place to put the university, which makes something like Hilo University an easy choice. Hawaii State University or maybe even Coastal Hawaii University (piggybacking off the recent Coastal Florida submission)

Not in this group (although I am in the Coastal Florida group), but "Coastal Hawaii" seems kind of redundant.

9/15/2020 6:04 am  #82

Here's my thoughts...

Year Established: I completed agree with Dr. Pepper here, 1800-1850 feels WAY too old for a Hawaiian school.  I already messaged QCS about moving the date range up 100 years, so just waiting on confirmation.  

City:  I actually was feeling with this school that we could totally play up the exotic feel with this one, starting with this gem of a city name in Pearl City.  I believe this is officially the 3rd largest city of Hawaii, at a little over 47,000-well within the range for population, (although to be fair, only the city of Honolulu is disqualified for having too big a population, literally the rest of Hawaii's cities are available to use).  It is a city that has seen some success in Little League Baseball, having a team make it to the finals in 1998.  Also, the city's Junior League World Series team of 2007 won an international championship that year.   So with some actual real life sports success and a winning name, I like the idea of Pearl City being the site.

Name: If we go with Pearl City, I'd suggest Oahu University, since Oahu is the island Pearl City is in.   Plus, you get to avoid the usual names involving Hawaii or Honolulu, (which we can't use anyway).  

Team Name: There's a bunch of great options.  Here's a couple that I liked in particular...

1) Frigates- named for the Frigatebird, this is certainly an unique looking bird, with that inflatable gular pouch.  While that is actually used more for attracting female birds to mate with, it does give the bird a sophisticated and proud look that I really love.  I also think it gives the bird a "puffed out chest" feel, which could make for a fun mascot theme, something like the "Fightin' Frigate" or somesuch.  Frigates could be a word of double meaning too, as a frigate is a type of boat as well, for those interested.

2) Crows- Not an exotic name at all, but I liked that crows are important in Hawaiian mythology, as they are said to lead souls to their final resting place on the southern most tip of the big island of Hawaii.  Probably not a good fit for Pearl City, but if we pick a team in the big island of Hawaii, this would be a great bird to use...

3) Seahawks- Always loved that name.  Ospreys, (which are sometimes nicknamed Seahawks) do exist in Hawaii and the sea part of the name plays off the island aspect of Hawaii.  Though now that I think about it, we could also go with Ospreys as the name, as Oahu University Ospreys sorts of rolls off the tounge nicely sooo...

3b) Ospreys

4) Tropics- No, I'm not talking about Hawaii being tropical, (although it does allow for a nice double meaning) I'm actually talking about the Red-Tailed Tropicbird.   Not much to say here, other than it has a really cool red tail and they can reside in Hawaii.
\

5) Cranes- This would be themed after the Sandhill Crane

6) Hawks- Finally, the most generic name I could find.  The Hawaiian Hawk is currently restricted to the big island of Hawaii, so again, not a great choice if we go with Pearl City.  However, this thing is a heck of a hunter, eating preying on the Hawaiian Crow.  Interestingly, the Hawaiian Hawk was a royal symbol in Hawaiian legend, so there's that.

Color Scheme: Kelly and gold was my first instinct too!  However, it would probably depend of the bird we choose.  If we went with Crows for example, kelly green and black suddenly would be a rather solid option (though a bit close to University of Hawaii's team colors).  So I'm waiting until we pick the mascot before I make a real suggestion.

Sports: Seeing as Pearl City has had some success in baseball and hockey with their youth city teams, I thought those made sense.  Basketball is pretty much universially played in college programs, so I think that one is pretty much mandatory if we go with realism.  Finally, I know we just did a program with baseball, hockey, basketball, and football, so if we wanted to switch it up, we could always throw a surprise out there and go with soccer, which is another sport that gets played a lot in college.  Otherwise, football is always great too!

Last edited by Stickman (9/15/2020 6:17 am)

9/15/2020 6:34 am  #83

I'm an idiot. I forgot the population was the max not minimum which is why I thought Honolulu was our only choice.

I really like the Oahu University Ospreys personally and it's a unique name too.

Edit: For colours we could go Silver/Black/Kelly Green

Last edited by 3pointtally (9/15/2020 6:36 am)

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

9/15/2020 9:40 am  #84

As an Eagles fan, I'm always game for kelly green and silver, lol.  Black would be fine too of course!

So QCS got back with me about the established year.  He's allowing us to make the date between 1900 and 1920, but no later than that.  I think we can make that work!  

9/15/2020 10:36 am  #85

Stickman wrote:

As an Eagles fan, I'm always game for kelly green and silver, lol.  Black would be fine too of course!

So QCS got back with me about the established year.  He's allowing us to make the date between 1900 and 1920, but no later than that.  I think we can make that work!  

Interesting enough the state doesn't become a state until 1959.  But I just looked up the University of Hawaii and they were founded in 1907.  Hawaii is a great state to get! 

9/15/2020 10:45 am  #86

Gritty wrote:

Interesting enough the state doesn't become a state until 1959.  But I just looked up the University of Hawaii and they were founded in 1907.  Hawaii is a great state to get! 

Hawai'i and Alaska didn't become states until '59, before that, state 48 was Arizona in 1912. It was a territory of the US for a few decades before becoming a state like Alaska and other western territories. 

9/15/2020 11:52 pm  #87

Personally I feel like Kelly Silver and Black is too similar to UH irl. I really like the Kelly and Gold idea, think Oakland A's! I think that'd pop beautifully in Hawaii. As for the name, I'm a big fan of Oahu Seahawks!
As for sports, is hockey really that big in Hawaii? I feel like focusing on outdoor sports would be more realistic, so baseball, football and soccer (and maybe basketball too) . If I'm wrong though let me know!

9/16/2020 5:03 am  #88

Yeah, the more I think about it, maybe a kelly green and gold scheme might be safest because of the University of Hawaii similarity if we do kelly, silver, and black... (though we definitely should keep that color scheme on the back burner for another team down the road!).  

As for sports, I'd be totally fine with baseball, basketball, football, and soccer, those all do make sense.  Seeing Pearl City's recent hockey success was a fun surprise, as you definitely wouldn't think hockey when you think of Hawaii.

Okay, here's where I'm thinking we are at as of now... 

City: Pearl City, Hawaii
Name: Oahu University
Mascot: Seahawks or Ospreys, just a matter of deciding which of the two we want to use
Color Scheme: Kelly Green and either Gold or Silver/Black
Sports: Basketball, Baseball, Soccer and then either Football or Hockey.  

Finally, to add to what we know, I'm throwing these out there

Year Established: 1914 (figured to have a random-ish year so that it isn't too obvious we went with the latest year possible.  Knowing that the University of Hawaii was established in 1907 means this still gets pushed up a few years).

Logo: While we haven't picked the name officially, we definitely have the exact bird species we're using, which will help nicely!  Definitely feel that we could use an Osprey/Seahawk head in the logo.  Since Oahu University starts with an O, I wonder if using a kelly green O with a gold/silver/black osprey/seahawk head in the negative space (could have just an outline of the bird inside the O, the only detail of that bird being an glaring all white eye or something like that), if that wouldn't be an idea worth trying out? 

Logo 2: Logo 2 could be as easy as using that Green O with the bird in the negative space with our word mark underneath if we want to try that out.

Word Mark: Since I don't know what fonts are free and cost money, this time I went and found a website that shows 11 font types that we can look through and decide if we want to try any of these out.   It doesn't look like you can see the whole alphabet and number fonts before downloading though... you just get a preview...

https://hipfonts.com/hawaii-fonts/

Also, waiting to see what FC MacBeth is thinking about this.  I say we give him another day to jump in if there's anything he wants to add.  If not, we should probably make our final decisions by tonight or tomorrow night, to give us plenty of time to put the logos/uniforms together and not feel rushed (I think as of this post, we have 8 or 9 days left, so still plenty of time left).

Last edited by Stickman (9/16/2020 5:04 am)

9/16/2020 5:54 am  #89

Hey Stick use www.dafont.com ... all free and thousands of fonts.

I like Ospreys because it's a unique name and has the double O. However I'm down with whatever. Kelly and Gold sounds good with black as an outliner/third colour to use. It should pop really well.

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

9/16/2020 7:49 am  #90

Stickman wrote:

Yeah, the more I think about it, maybe a kelly green and gold scheme might be safest because of the University of Hawaii similarity if we do kelly, silver, and black... (though we definitely should keep that color scheme on the back burner for another team down the road!).  

As for sports, I'd be totally fine with baseball, basketball, football, and soccer, those all do make sense.  Seeing Pearl City's recent hockey success was a fun surprise, as you definitely wouldn't think hockey when you think of Hawaii.

Okay, here's where I'm thinking we are at as of now... 

City: Pearl City, Hawaii
Name: Oahu University
Mascot: Seahawks or Ospreys, just a matter of deciding which of the two we want to use
Color Scheme: Kelly Green and either Gold or Silver/Black
Sports: Basketball, Baseball, Soccer and then either Football or Hockey.  

Finally, to add to what we know, I'm throwing these out there

Year Established: 1914 (figured to have a random-ish year so that it isn't too obvious we went with the latest year possible.  Knowing that the University of Hawaii was established in 1907 means this still gets pushed up a few years).

Logo: While we haven't picked the name officially, we definitely have the exact bird species we're using, which will help nicely!  Definitely feel that we could use an Osprey/Seahawk head in the logo.  Since Oahu University starts with an O, I wonder if using a kelly green O with a gold/silver/black osprey/seahawk head in the negative space (could have just an outline of the bird inside the O, the only detail of that bird being an glaring all white eye or something like that), if that wouldn't be an idea worth trying out? 

Logo 2: Logo 2 could be as easy as using that Green O with the bird in the negative space with our word mark underneath if we want to try that out.

Word Mark: Since I don't know what fonts are free and cost money, this time I went and found a website that shows 11 font types that we can look through and decide if we want to try any of these out.   It doesn't look like you can see the whole alphabet and number fonts before downloading though... you just get a preview...

https://hipfonts.com/hawaii-fonts/

Also, waiting to see what FC MacBeth is thinking about this.  I say we give him another day to jump in if there's anything he wants to add.  If not, we should probably make our final decisions by tonight or tomorrow night, to give us plenty of time to put the logos/uniforms together and not feel rushed (I think as of this post, we have 8 or 9 days left, so still plenty of time left).

If you want me to do football (soccer), I need you to modify my football kit templates. They look a little wonky in terms of the shape. Then I'll get the design going!

Care to do that for me?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

Board footera