Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2020 12:37 am  #11

Re: Sports Logos Unpopular Opinions

Interesting responses! I don't have much to add except for the Panthers. As you might imagine I feel quite strongly about my team and I'll say with no doubt in my mind that a black helmet would look terrible. In fact, I mocked it up best I could using the team logo. I tried very hard to find one with an outline but Photoshop was not cooperating and I didn't feel like troubleshooting.

The jersey and pants are pretty much exactly like they are now except with white replacing silver in all instances. I have the Panthers' three most loved looks, one for each jersey color. All of them use blue socks because without blue pants blue socks look the best. 

The blue helmet, to me at least, looks better on the whites and blue with white pants (I added a blue with black pants and black helmet and I will say it is very nice). The worst offender, though, is the black over black, which is our default home at this point and is the favorite among to fans, to my knowledge. You'll never see a Panthers team not use black/black/blue, so adding a black helmet on top of that would be terrible. One last note, it gets hot in Charlotte. Black helmets would get pretty hot whereas blue helmets wouldn't to the same extent and the Panthers are a bit notorious for going white at home in the first few weeks (I almost did the same with the Reapers but decided against it). 

Basically, if the NFL allowed two helmets, I'd be all for a black helmet for use only with a blue jersey, black pants, and blue socks, which would be one of the greatest jerseys ever, especially if the logo is updated so that it wouldn't bleed without an outline. In all other cases, though, I have to give it to the blue helmet. I know not all of you will agree and that's fine but I think I've made my case well enough.

8/03/2020 12:44 am  #12

What the hell.

MLB:
- The Cubs' roadies are good. I know they shouldn't work, I know it's all wrong, but for some reason, it works on me. Maybe I'm biased since I'm a fan, but whatever.
- The Marlins, Brewers, and Padres new looks are all the best those three franchises have ever looked, bar none.
- While we're talking Brewers, their green look from the 90s is criminally underrated.
- The A's look fine in forest green, and their kelly green throwbacks are only a marginal improvement, and are too bright. I think the ideal shade is somewhere in between the two.

NBA:
- The Lakers' and Knicks' logos are garbage and old and need to be reworked. (The Celtics' and Bulls' are up there too, but they're not quite as bad.)
- The Pistons' horse logo from the 90s is better than two words in a basketball, and you can't convince me otherwise.
- Why do the Pacers use silver? Silver and yellow do not mix. I know it's not much, but it's always bugged me.

NFL:
- "Bone" is a good idea, just not for the Rams. I like the idea of a "white" uniform that isn't actually white, and I think it has the potential to make a really good look, just not for the Rams, and definitely not when paired with yellow. Let the Ravens or Jags or someone play with that idea and I think it could make waves, but give the Rams a proper white jersey.
- Speaking of LA football, I fully support the Chargers' rebrand, except for the gold pants. Gold should be in lightning bolts and number outlines and nothing else. Let the Rams own the blue over gold look and stick with white pants.
- As much as I love the Patriots, they haven't had a single good blue uniform (including their new ones), and the tricorn hat is a better logo than Pat is. Also, I don't think they've ever done this, but I've always wanted to see them wear their white uniforms with silver pants; the navy pants have always rubbed me the wrong way and I'm disappointed that monochrome seems to be the new standard.

NHL:
- Minnesota Wild is a fine name. Their uniforms, though, are trash. None of the colors work with any of the others, and they're not balanced at all.
- The Sharks need to work more orange into their jerseys. The fact that it's confined to a tiny sleeve stripe is criminal. Teal, black, and orange is a much better color palette than teal, black, and silver (see: the Marlins).
- The Lightning should rebrand around their current alternates. Royal blue and white is boring and has nothing to do with lightning.
- The black numbers on the Avs' away jerseys are the second biggest crime in the league. (Biggest crime was the officiating in last year's playoffs, especially that Bozak trip-that-wasn't-a-trip from the Cup Finals. Absolute malarkey.)

MLS:
- The Revs' logo is garbage, obviously, but it's got a lot of good ideas, and I think if it's given a proper refresh, it could still work.
- DC wearing black and white uniforms and almost ignoring red has always bugged me. I don't really have a good reasoning behind this one tbh.

CFL:
- The Als' new look is good, even the helmet. It's not often you see teams come up with a completely new idea in terms of design language, but they did.
- The pawprint is the best helmet logo the Lions have ever had, although it could use an update if they were gonna bring it back full-time.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

8/03/2020 1:11 am  #13

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

- "Bone" is a good idea, just not for the Rams. I like the idea of a "white" uniform that isn't actually white, and I think it has the potential to make a really good look, just not for the Rams, and definitely not when paired with yellow. Let the Ravens or Jags or someone play with that idea and I think it could make waves, but give the Rams a proper white jersey.

I actually agree, just not with "bone". Cream jerseys are awesome, but the shade they chose is just... not good. A cream or off-white jersey would be as maybe an alt for the Packers or Patriots, but it doesn't work well for the Rams.
Speaking of the Rams, they look better when the helmet matches the jersey and I don't know how you could think otherwise.

I'll throw in a few more with some other leagues around the world:
CFL:
Montreal has the best-looking logo in the league and I adore what they did with the helmet.
Tiger-Cats is a dumb name but Hamilton looks so darn good I have to give them a pass.

NPB:
Hiroshima's away is my favorite jersey in all of baseball and it isn't even close. 
I don't care for the Giants' unis, I don't mind the name but they look just like MLB Giants uniforms when they should be carving their own identity. Hanshin has the same name as an MLB team but they look great.
The Buffaloes looks awesome, I love their use of old gold.
DeNA might be the ugliest team in baseball.
Rakuten's aways are also amazing, reducing a color scheme is almost always a good thing. 

MiLB:
Of the Triple-A teams, Charlotte has the most major-league ready identity. It would fit right in with the Braves, Rays, and Marlins in the Southeast.
That said, the Redbirds are the best-looking.
I think the Durham Bulls are overrated. The use of color just doesn't do it for me.

NHL/AHL:
Visually, the NHL would be better off with an updated Charlotte Checkers identity than any Carolina Hurricanes identity.

Soccer:
Most country's badges don't look very good. With reference, I like Japan, Brazil, and I kinda like the US. Most rugby teams look better than this.

Rugby:
National rugby teams look awesome, more people should appreciate this. The All-Blacks, Wallabies, Springboks, Blossoms, Three Feathers, and more have awesome logos and jerseys. 
Old Glory DC of Major League Rugby might just be the coolest name for any team in any sport. The imagery it conjures up is so good, it's stunning.

8/03/2020 7:35 am  #14

QCS wrote:

Interesting responses! I don't have much to add except for the Panthers. As you might imagine I feel quite strongly about my team and I'll say with no doubt in my mind that a black helmet would look terrible. In fact, I mocked it up best I could using the team logo. I tried very hard to find one with an outline but Photoshop was not cooperating and I didn't feel like troubleshooting.

The jersey and pants are pretty much exactly like they are now except with white replacing silver in all instances. I have the Panthers' three most loved looks, one for each jersey color. All of them use blue socks because without blue pants blue socks look the best. 

The blue helmet, to me at least, looks better on the whites and blue with white pants (I added a blue with black pants and black helmet and I will say it is very nice). The worst offender, though, is the black over black, which is our default home at this point and is the favorite among to fans, to my knowledge. You'll never see a Panthers team not use black/black/blue, so adding a black helmet on top of that would be terrible. One last note, it gets hot in Charlotte. Black helmets would get pretty hot whereas blue helmets wouldn't to the same extent and the Panthers are a bit notorious for going white at home in the first few weeks (I almost did the same with the Reapers but decided against it). 

Basically, if the NFL allowed two helmets, I'd be all for a black helmet for use only with a blue jersey, black pants, and blue socks, which would be one of the greatest jerseys ever, especially if the logo is updated so that it wouldn't bleed without an outline. In all other cases, though, I have to give it to the blue helmet. I know not all of you will agree and that's fine but I think I've made my case well enough.

I see what you are saying with the black helmets. The logo kind of gets lost on the black. I still think that the blue is just too strong. Here's UNC I wonder what people feel about their helmet in this case. I think it is pretty good but it is a softer blue.They also have an all black which looks okay just not like UNC. The third is when UNC uses a more electric blue like the Panthers and I feel like it is just too much. I guess my unpopular opinion is that I like the Panthers uniforms now. I do see that they could and should be updated (i don't like how the shoulder stripes look totally different on different cuts of the jersey and I don't like that they have the tiniest shoulder numbers in the league). My fear is that with a cool identity like the Panthers that nike would screw them up. Needless to say they have a track record of doing something horrible and then being forced to return them back to what they were (Browns, Bucs). QCS I agree the blue is better than black now - you convinced me but i still like the silver.

Last edited by Gritty (8/03/2020 7:36 am)

8/03/2020 12:49 pm  #15

I see what you're saying with the electric blue, it can get to be a bit much if it's overused. It's a bit brighter than Panther blue, but I wouldn't say I like that combination much. It almost looks like there's a filter on the picture, but I'd still like to see the Panthers try it out. I also really like the current uniforms, I just feel like they could make a couple very small tweaks that would elevate the whole set, which includes removing silver.

8/03/2020 2:54 pm  #16

Didn't UNC have a white helmet with the blue NC on it? I always thought that was a good looking helmet

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/03/2020 2:56 pm  #17

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Didn't UNC have a white helmet with the blue NC on it? I always thought that was a good looking helmet

Yep, and it looks very good.
[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nK3Ru0SBsz93L2S-Sbz6fwPJRqA=/1400x1400/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/19791542/1055768620.jpg.jpg[/img]

Another possibly unpopular opinion regarding UNC: the argyle pattern on football especially looks pretty dumb.

8/03/2020 3:11 pm  #18

I'm going to have to disagree, the black helmet panthers look is great. I'm not a huge fan of monochrome but I think the all black look works really well for Carolina. I know it gets hot, I've been there to experience it, but I don't think that stops them from wearing white at home like they have. I think BWB would also be a good look. They've worn black pants with the white jersey before, I think it would work even better with a white helmet. 

Board footera