Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2020 2:20 pm  #1

Sports Logos Unpopular Opinions

I was going to talking about this in the best city discussion, but I figured it was worth its own thread. I'm sure all of us have unpopular opinions in regards to logos, so this is the place to do it! (I only ask that in discussing them we keep it civil and don't attack others for expressing their opinions, since the whole point of the thread is to state unpopular opinions.)

I'll start, and I have a few good ones so get ready.

MLB:
I think the Florida Marlins looks is incredibly overrated. The teal was nice, but the serifed scripts don't do it for me and vests suck in baseball. Additionally, the teal and silver clash hard and they should always be separated, which they usually aren't. To tack on to this, the Art Deco Marlins looks wasn't awful, but the Vice look is the best one they've had.
The new Ball-in-Glove is better than the old one.
The Pirates look better without red.
The Yankees' uniforms are nothing special. They've been around for a long time, sure, but there's nothing super unique about them it's nowhere close to the greatest look in baseball.
The new "D" on the Tigers' home looks better than the old one, but a combination of the two would be best.
It should be more popular to wear colors as the designated road, like the Padres do. Teams like the O's, A's, Rays, Marlins, Astros, and the majority of newer teams would look better wearing colors on the road.

NHL:
The cartoon mascot logos look bad and should be replaced.
To add on to that last one, Robo-Penguin is the best logo the Pens will ever have and that's what they should be iterating on.
Anaheim Ducks > Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.
An updated Red Wings logo would be awesome if they simplified it. There's no need for a winged tire to be so complex.

MLS:
I don't really have any unpopular opinions on MLS, aside from maybe Charlotte FC is a top 15 look, at least.

NFL:
The Bears need to straighten out their logo. It's not hard, just fix it.
The Panthers have one of the best looks in the NFL and it would be the best if they dropped the silver and wore blue helmets. Blue/blue/white with blue socks would be easily the best look any team has ever worn.
I like the Browns using a helmet as a logo and I don't think they should stop.
The new Rams helmet reads like a horn and I can't think of any reason you could not see that. It's even more obvious in-context, of course it's a horn.
"Toothpaste" dolphins >>>> any of their old logos.
The Giants' road uniforms look terrible and they shouldn't be red-dominant.
Monochrome uniforms aren't that bad, so long as the socks are a different color and there's a stripe on the pants.
The Bucs' 2000s uniforms are super overrated and honestly are significantly worse than the creamsicles. 
The Steelers having their logo on one side of the helmet is dumb (and to add to that, they could use an update).

NBA:
The Hawks should be a red, powder blue, and gray team.
The Nets black and white look is pretty cool, much better than what they wore in New Jersey.
The Hornets' new shade of purple is so much worse than the old one and significantly downgrades the set.
The Warriors should go back to a California logo, if not, they should change their name to Bay Area Warriors if they insist on not using the far superior San Francisco Warriors.
The Sterling-era Clippers didn't look that good.
The Lakers logo is bad and could use an update, mostly getting rid of the speed lines and changing the basketball outline to purple.
The Heat should emphasis gold much more than black if they won't switch to vice colors.
The Bucks looked bad in both purple and red, green and cream is the way to go.
The Magic have never looked good.
If the Raptors aren't going to use purple, they should be red and white with a chevron pattern.
The Wizards should've stuck with the "federal" bronze/blue color scheme.
Letting the original Hornets move to NOLA was the stupidest thing the NBA has done, from a visual and financial standpoint. The Pelicans can't draw and neither can the Hornets, because the new Hornets started from scratch they came out with a faaaaaar inferior look to what they had, and because the 30th team was used on Charlotte, Seattle has suffered without a team for 12 years. They should've forced Shinn to sell and either given him a team like MLS did with Precourt or just kicked him out because he was an awful person.

General:
I'd rather have the geographic name on both the home and away than have the nickname on both. At the very least, the city name must be on the away.
There should be more pink in sports, because pink is a great color.

What do you guys think?

8/02/2020 2:43 pm  #2

Re: Sports Logos Unpopular Opinions

MLB:
The new ball in glove is indeed better than the old one.

The Angels shouldn’t get a full on rebrand, they should just get rid of the beveling on their logos, and swap out the silver for athletic gold. They should also bring back cap halos, but for alternate caps.

NFL:

The LA Rams’ new logo is pretty okay. (oof)

I don’t mind the Bucs’ oversized helmet logos. I also think they should have incorporated more creamsicle into their look.

The Jets uniforms will likely set a sports design trend for the 2020s, and won’t be considered weird in 10 years.

I don’t care if the Browns left out orange pants or not, it’s still a great set. I also agree that the logo less helmet is part of Browns history, and shouldn’t be changed.

NBA:

I can’t figure out what everyone hates about the Clippers. Also, the Sterling-era logo was just a ripoff of the Lakers.

The Nets’ colors are unique across the NBA, and they really give off an urban vibe.

The Hawks didn’t need to get rid of Volt, it’s a unique color.

The Wizards were right to change their name, as “Bullets” certainly wouldn’t be accepted in the age of police brutality and BLM.

NHL:

I like the King’s current colors. They hearken back to the Gretzky days, They’re a nice nod to he film and television industry (Black and White), and they’re unique to the NHL. The only fixes needed are to get rid of the silver seams, and bring back an updated Gretzky-era logo as the primary.

I don’t think we should change the name of the Ducks back to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, it’s to 90s. I also think they should keep the current colors. I do support the return of Wild Wing as the primary, though.

Florida should use the updated leaping panther as their primary, as well as update the crossed palm-and-stick.

The Wild and Avalanche names are okay.

The lightning should add black to their scheme to distinguish from the Maple Leafs.

General:

Green and Black is an underrated color scheme, and should be used more.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

8/02/2020 3:19 pm  #3

Hmmm, sounds like a fun topic.  I'll try my thoughts, though keep in mind I don't know if all of my opinions are "unpopular" or not, so just keep it in mind.  I'll just stick with MLB for now.

MLB:
-I actually LIKE the Anaheim Angels all red uniforms, while navy and red looked great for them, there's too many navy/blue and red teams already.  

-The Texas Rangers need to seriously make up their mind about what color team they want to be, preferably they'd stick with being a blue dominant team.  They do look fine either way, but just pick already!

-The Houston Astros need to go back to the navy and old gold jerseys from the 1990s, as they were my favorite look they've had.  Also, the "rainbow sunset" jerseys are an abomination and should have been burned on sight, and certainly never brought back.

-The Chicago White Sox's 1980s jerseys (and in fact, most of their historical uniforms) were awful and I will never understand why some people prefer it to today's classic black and white look, (which is one of my favorites in sports)

-Powder blue uniforms should be left to the 1970s and need to be retired permanently.  Yes,I'm saying both the Royals and Blue Jays should stop wearing them.  And yes also...

-The Tampa Bay Rays need to bring green back, those actually weren't too bad of uniforms other than being too dark, (which doesn't look good at Tropicana Field).  I'd actually like to see them take a Seattle Seahawks approach and use Neon Green and Navy, (okay maybe lime green).  

- The Philadelphia Phillies need to bring maroon back.  Not the all maroon look, but the white jersey with maroon pinstripes were excellent.

-I have a love/hate relationship with the Miami Marlins logo.  It looks cool, but it also looks like the marlin was hit by that baseball.... they should re-evaluate that aspect of the jersey.

-The Washington Nationals "W" looks just like the Walgreen's "W" and I hate it.  

8/02/2020 3:19 pm  #4

Hmm interesting topic.  

I am with you on almost all of your points which ironically between you and I would not be unpopular opinions. I am a very traditional guy when it comes to what I like so take any of my ideas through that lens.  I think you hit on something interesting.  You had gripes with some of the most iconic and classic teams in pro sports.  A lot of your gripes are really interesting and I somewhat agree with.  Yankees, Redwings, Steelers, etc. I wonder how much of their iconic looks are directly linked to the fact that they are successful teams.  And if they were not successful teams would they still have those looks?

A few of yours that I want to echo:
-I loved the robot-penguin. I like the classic skating Penguin too though.
-I am not a fan of the current NY Giants look. I think their Lawrence Taylor throwbacks are the best look they have. 

My typical rule is that teams should never do major overhauls. I think that looks become classic if you stick to them. The teams that choose to switch are typically second tier teams.  

MLB
-I love the the modernized classic looks of a lot of teams. I think baseball looks better than they ever have. Ex. Reds, Padres, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rangers, Astros, Mets, Brewers (not unpopular but still)
-I see what QCS is saying about the Yankees but their look is iconic - they invented pinstripes or at least made them cool.  Look at all of the teams that copy them. But with that said...
-The Cardinals have the best uniforms in baseball. I also love the Tigers and Pirates.
-I have never been a fan of the Marlins.  I think they would benefit from going back to the Black and Teal but modernized like their throwbacks that they wore last year. The color scheme was theirs in baseball.  Their current Vice Color scheme is good - my gripe with them is that their uniforms are so difficult to read.  I feel like they are wasting the potential of that color scheme. 
-I liked the Angels in the Outfield Angels uniforms.
-I think the Backs are getting closer to what they should be. but not there yet. 

NFL
-Unpopular opinion I liked the Rams/Giants 90s looks where the helmet was navy and the jersey was royal blue.
-I liked the creamsicles for the Bucs but  I also thought that the Bucs looked real sharp in their Super Bowl victory.
-I liked the Rams Royal blue look LAST YEAR. This new look is an unwanted to change. 
-I miss the early 90s Bills uniforms.
-I am not for modern designs but the Seahawks have really grown on me (once again possibly because they were good?)
-As for QCS' Panthers I think a blue helmet may be overkill.  I think it is a really strong blue and may be too much if used for the helmets. I also was obsessed with the Panthers look in the 90s. They were so different. But I would be down for a SLIGHT modernization.  I don't mind the silver but I see what you're saying.  I think the fact that they haven't switched uniforms have helped them feel like a more legit team than Jacksonville. It helps that they have had more success recently.
-I miss the Barry Sanders Lions uniforms
-I liked the Steve Young black Niners Uniforms, I also liked the '94 Niners uniforms.
-One of my favorite looks in the league is the Saints G-B-G look. I hate the all black. I do like the throwbacks though.
-BIGGEST UNPOPULAR OPINION  - The Chargers look great now don't get me wrong but I loved their navy look in the 90s and early LT years. 
-I have no idea what to do with the Broncos.

NHL
-I like the Kachina Coyotes. They are a great example of "should have not switched"
-I love the Devils uniforms - one of the sharpest teams in the league. although i miss the waist stripe.
-I agree that the Lightning need to add some black back.
-I really miss the 90s Panthers uniforms - I think they can update those to reflect modern times.
-I am angry at the Dallas Stars for keeping the name and depriving the league of having a team named the North Stars. 
-I like the RoboPenguin
-One of my favorite uniforms were the OG Sharks
-I miss the Mighty Ducks but get the Ducks. They have improved since switching.  I like the foot logo but the duck head logo from the Might Ducks days is just too good to not use.  I think the foot could be a side and the new colored Duck head should be the main.
-I kind of liked the Capitals purple uniforms but i get why they went with their traditional colors.

Basketball
-I hate the new trend of uniforms not making sense and every team has a million different uniforms and color schemes. I should know immediately whose playing 
-I agree I miss the old Wizards look.
-The Hornets leaving was a crime..I agree
-I find most of the NBA logos to be uninspired. Luckily logos matter the least in Basketball. 

General
-I agree with ThisIsFine green and black is underused. I love he Hawaii look and North Dakota too even though different greens.

I'll have to think of more, I feel like most of those are unpopular. 

Last edited by Gritty (8/02/2020 3:20 pm)

8/02/2020 3:53 pm  #5

NFL: I really like the Falcons new uniforms...yes, even the gradient.
The Rams could have done worse with their new logo.
The navy blue Bills was the cleanest look they have ever had.

NHL: Vancouver should have never done the yellow color scheme.
That being said, the flying V jersey is seriously underrated.
The red 90's look for the Blues was just abysmal.
The 3D Senators were their best look.
Nashville needs to bring the silver back.
The Thrashers did not have a single bad jersey.

MLB: The Mariners worst look is the royal blue, yellow, and cream.
The Blue Jays 2003 primary logo is their best they have ever had. 

NBA: Washington and Golden State need to go back to their old logos that looked like their mascot and not their city.
Way too many jerseys are currently being used. 3 is all they really need.

Last edited by ANDY! (8/02/2020 4:04 pm)

8/02/2020 5:56 pm  #6

NFL: The Seahawks need to bring back their old logo and uniforms
The Patriots need to bring Pat Patriot back
The Texans need a full on rebrand. What do cows have to do with Houston?
MLB: The Twins look generic and boring. So do the Phillies
NBA: The Lakers and Jazz need new names ASAP and the Sterling era Clippers logo IS a Laker knock-off
NHL: The Canucks should bring their 90s jerseys with the skate on the chest. Also, the Flyers need a actual bird or something for their logo
General: Nickelodeon has to bring back their iconic splat logo and some of their old shows instead of the garbage we have on their now!

8/02/2020 6:20 pm  #7

Rugrat wrote:

NFL: The Seahawks need to bring back their old logo and uniforms
The Patriots need to bring Pat Patriot back
The Texans need a full on rebrand. What do cows have to do with Houston?
MLB: The Twins look generic and boring. So do the Phillies
NBA: The Lakers and Jazz need new names ASAP and the Sterling era Clippers logo IS a Laker knock-off
NHL: The Canucks should bring their 90s jerseys with the skate on the chest. Also, the Flyers need a actual bird or something for their logo
General: Nickelodeon has to bring back their iconic splat logo and some of their old shows instead of the garbage we have on their now!

I think a modernization of Pat Patriot is needed, plus maybe something to help show that they are ready to go beyond the Brady Years.
Texans don't need to change a thing beyond maybe embracing Red more since their Red Uniforms are sharp

8/02/2020 8:38 pm  #8

Don't know how many of these are unpopular, in fact I think this will be more of a "small things I'd do to every sports team" but nonetheless here it is.

MLB:
Cincinnati's look isn't awful, I would much prefer the Big Red Machine era look, but I don't hate the current duds as much as others
Detroit needs to switch back to the previous D, the change took them from a top 5 uniform to a top 15 uniform.
Miami looks great, but not near as good as the have before, the Florida era was gorgeous.
The Rays also look great, the best they've ever looked.
The Diamondbacks have a top 10 maybe top 8 look in the MLB
The Brewers BiG logo and royal and yellow era is extremely overrated and the worst they've ever looked. They just replaced their best look.

NBA
Nike has really worsened the whole aesthetic of the league, too many alternates, no designated home or away, its embarrassing and a disgrace. Each team should have 1 alternate, maybe 2, and a throwback at the most and they should all be team colors.
The Lakers brand is overrated
The Celtics brand is underrated 
The Nets looked their best in NJ
The Jazz look is perfect
The Hornets look is overrated
The Clippers have never had a "good" look but they looked best in the Lob City era.
The Heat shouldn't ever do vice again, they already have one of the best looks in basketball before the Nike take over.
The Raptors chevron jersey is disgusting.

NFL
The Rams need a proper ram horn again. Their home uniform also should've been yellow not blue. Their yellow alt over the past couple years was their best uniform.
The Texans and Panthers have top 5 looks. To add onto what QCS said, removing silver from the Panthers would upgrade their look, butttt a blue helmet would be an awful look, it should be black, it'll work just as nicely as the Texans logo does on their helmet.
The Chargers downgraded with their current change, powder is overrated and they looked phenomenal in their previous uniforms.
The Giants have a top 5 NFL uniform set.
The Dolphins look the best they ever have.

NHL
Don't know what's unpopular or not here to be frank, I'm just going to judge based on what others have said.
The Lightning look great as they are
The Sharks logo is great
The Dallas Stars shouldn't touch their uniforms or logos in the next millennia, their great looking.
The Coyotes Kachina look is overrated.
The Panthers logo set is beautiful and all they need to do is replace the shield with the leaping panther on the uniforms.

MLS
European names >>>>>>> american names
The Fire, Galaxy, Revolution, Impact, Dynamo, Whitecaps, and Sounders have some of the worst logos in American sports. The rest of the teams in the league however are a tweak or two away from being perfect.
Charlotte has a top 10 crest.

8/02/2020 9:37 pm  #9

*cracks knuckles* time to weigh in on some of these... (even if they turn out to not be unpopular opinions)

MLB
Arizona has a top tier design, but they need a splash more of teal to make their set fully work
Milwaukee went a step in the right direction going back to blue and gold, but their redesign took a step back with modernizing the look. Their last set was way better
Montreal's best set was their last one rather than their inaugural set that everyone gets nostalgic over
The Cubs need to find themselves a decent road set to elevate them to best of the best in the league

NFL
Buffalo should go back to red helmets
The Chargers looked better in navy, especially the unis from the Air Coryell years
The Giants should have stayed with their away jerseys from the early 2000's, but otherwise their LT-era set was the greatest
The Jets best look was their 90's set. I guess this is the reason I kind of like their current set

(Also, now that QCS mentioned that the Bears logo was off, I can't unsee it. Thanks for that)

NHL
The Stars look great, but it would be even better if they didn't look like Blackhawks clones. Their Stanley Cup set was the best. Also, I don't care that they stole the North Stars name from Minnesota, it fits in Texas as well.
The Coyotes look fine as they are, but a bit of sand/tan/whatever they're calling it would make their set even better

General
Maroon/Orange and Green/Blue are great color schemes that go underused(?) in American professional sports

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

8/02/2020 11:39 pm  #10

NHL:
I like the nameplates on the Flyers jerseys being different colored.

MLB:
The Rays look great, but should have stuck with green because there's so much blue in MLB.

I love the D-Backs look, but feel they need a touch more teal.

The Angels red on red look is really nice.

NFL:
The Chargers navy look was REALLY good.

The Buccaneers creamsicle look is overrated.

Aside from their green jerseys, the Seahawks are really good.

Washington is going to fail with their new team name. But they need to keep the color scheme.

The Titans look is bad. I get what they were going for, but it's not good.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera