Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2020 7:53 pm  #121

Re: West Coast Elite Hockey League

Oh. My God. The Earthquakes really are an earthquake in this league. Sucks to see my tribe fall but we will be back. And Salt Lake should just relocate or fold if they keep their sh-tty play up

Last edited by Rugrat (8/23/2020 7:54 pm)

8/24/2020 10:18 am  #122

Darknes wrote:

*spits my coffee* I told you for the last time, you grind the beans and pour hot water through the beans..and WHY THE f--k DID I DO WHAT I DID!?

Don't worry, it was not you. I know it wasn't detailed, but mostly because your owner's dealings can't be that detailed. Being a shady man, like your boss, Friday is very familiar with what Seagull does. Now, I'm not saying blackmailing Seagull was French's smartest move, but it sure got him some talent.

Steelman wrote:

Wow, Long Beach really just came in and took over the league. I'm rooting for McGorrie but I'd like to see an upset by Oakland.

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Is this a swindler’s trick by Friday? He’s assembled a damn hydra in Long Beach!!!

Long Beach is playing chess in a league that only plays with Crayola crayons. To put into perspective for the future, Moran averaged 2.2 points per game while Corderey was also over 2. While this doesn't match the Great One's 100 points in 34 games in real life, it still vastly overshadows the typical star in today's league.

Rugrat wrote:

Oh. My God. The Earthquakes really are an earthquake in this league. Sucks to see my tribe fall but we will be back. And Salt Lake should just relocate or fold if they keep their sh-tty play up

They have some good fans in SLC, a real hive. Their club doesn't really seem to be taking a concrete direction, though. I'll agree with that much. 

8/25/2020 11:45 am  #123

Btw Scratch can you please make me a Tribe sig?

8/26/2020 12:05 am  #124

Rugrat wrote:

With a big boy job and the return of high school hockey (I help coach and direct a program here in AZ), it’s been hard to dish out content like I have been. Once I get the finals done I’ll get that going for you. Since I’m still finding it hard to develop some sig inspiration, do you have any specific requests? A couple Magnums? A center ice overhead view at the Teepee? A Benoit tribute? Maybe a three headed monster from the previous two years? Anything works for me.

8/26/2020 9:55 am  #125

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

With a big boy job and the return of high school hockey (I help coach and direct a program here in AZ), it’s been hard to dish out content like I have been. Once I get the finals done I’ll get that going for you. Since I’m still finding it hard to develop some sig inspiration, do you have any specific requests? A couple Magnums? A center ice overhead view at the Teepee? A Benoit tribute? Maybe a three headed monster from the previous two years? Anything works for me.

All of that would look good in my opinion excluding the 3headed monster and maybe add the number 24 on there in honor of 55

8/26/2020 11:10 pm  #126

1955/56 WCEHL Finals

It was night one of the postseason in the WCEHL and the top two teams found themselves playing for, what fans have started affectionately calling, the “Magnum” in the newest team’s luxury home, located right on the Longest Beach in the city. Fans settled into their seats, but before being able to admire the Art Deco feel of the building the pregame show began. It started with a rather tasteful mime act at center ice, and ended with Ricky the Chain-Smoking Rat dropping a puck for the opening faceoff… No, like literally the opening faceoff. The man in the costume had to book it off the ice, but he slipped which caused the first stoppage in play.

Game 1
     Other than the Rat’s concerning tumble, the start was smooth for both the Earthquakes and Patriots. Oakland would learn they needed more than smooth to withstand the strength of Long Beach’s team when former Patriot Kenny Corderey netted one against the WCEHL Goalie of the Year Rusty McFadden two minutes into the game. This would wake up Oakland, inspiring a two-goal rally of their own, but Corderey would strike again with the help of two-time WCEHL champion Andress Riekstins to put the Quakes back even with only 22 seconds left in the period. The second would show less action, but the thoughts of an even series started to fade when Anastasio Moran grabbed his first point in the series to make the game 3-2. Oakland’s fatigue was exposed by Long Beach in the third, giving the opportunity to open the floodgates. Billy McGorrie would score twice and ex Flamingo star Brian McCoal would tally the other, ending the game 6-2 in favor of the Earthquakes. The top three of LB would collect their 10 points along with 3 stars and prepare for the next game to come.

Game 2
     Long Beach had made the Oakland Patriots look like the Washington Generals in game 1, but this was a new game. Oakland’s captain Joe Nichols would make a statement in the first by grabbing two goals, which were both assisted by Jerry Townsend. Luckily, Billy McGorrie was able to stop the bleeding before time expired, sending the Patriots into the second with a 2-1 lead. Townsend would strike one more time for Oakland before Cory Hornbury, a previous Salt Lake star, took over the show. Hornbury would score one in the second and another in the third to force the game towards overtime. As fans looked for a goal in the dying minutes of the game, they were treated to Anastasio Moran putting the beatdown on former teammate Armande Sellers in a very one-sided fight instead.

With that we were off to overtime, where a desperate Rusty McFadded, who had already made 40 saves in regulation, and a largely untested Benton Brownschidle would be called on to hold their teams in the game.

The first OT would pass, then the second, followed by another 10 minutes and it just wouldn’t stop. Most thought the game came to an end in the fifth overtime when McFadden lost his stick and a shot was launched by an LB player from the point, but Oakland’s goalie was able to grab the puck with his blocker hand to stop the play for his 71st save. Despite the inspiring performance from their goalie, Oakland’s night would end in the 6th OT when a bad change gave Moran and Corderey a 2 on 0 opportunity that was destined for the back of the net. Finally, after 120 minutes and 79 shots, Long Beach had cracked the code and earned their 2-game lead on the Patriots.

Game 3
     For it being an opportunity to sweep the series, Long Beach came out surprisingly flat in Oakland. The Patriots would be the only ones to find the scoreboard in the first with a little help from Jerry Townsend. It wasn’t until 8 minutes into the second that this game felt like it was for a title, changing when Long Beach’s second line forced in a goal. This was followed quickly by another pair of goals from Hornbury and McGorrie. The Patriots were able to use the intermission to regroup, but it was only good enough for one final push. The remaining 17 minutes of the game drained, and the score never budged. With a 3-2 win, the Long Beach Earthquakes had swept the Oakland Patriots to capture a title in their inaugural year.

While Peterson, Moran and McCoal celebrated success they were not able to find over the previous two years in Las Vegas, three-time WCEHL champion Andress Riekstins soaked in the atmosphere while standing silently by himself. The 31-year-old Latvian sits on top of a mountain alone, realizing the change around him. Groups of players who were teammates on other rosters before being relocated to Long Beach started to form around the ice, and Riekstins couldn’t help but think about the past two years when he noticed there were no other Tribesman who got to experience a third with him. Zoning out, Andress had a moment to observe a bittersweet feeling, but this was cut short when he felt a large hand smack him on the back and grab his shoulder. This jolt was followed by a voice saying, “You know how this works. Come help me not make a fool of myself, pretty boy”. It had been a year filled with uncountable twists and turns since he last heard that, but there was no doubt it was his former enemy turned friend, Anastasio Moran. Both Riekstins and Moran skated to center ice together, approaching Zamboni. The commissioner, more relaxed now that Benoit wasn’t around to cause havoc, opened his mouth to star congratulating the Earthquakes. Before Zamboni could get a word, Riekstins grabbed the champagne bottle out of his grip and handed it to Moran. The two-time MVP looked at the defeated commissioner, then down at the bottom trying to process the situation. After a couple seconds, Moran’s eyes lit up and it became more than clear. He wound up and let the magnum fly, causing it to shatter on the ice. With this action, the melting pot team had officially claimed their page in the WCEHL history book, and all signs pointed to the possibility of many more pages to come.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (8/26/2020 11:11 pm)

8/27/2020 10:07 am  #127

6ot?! This league is insane! And congrats to Long Beach on wining it all in year  1 of the team

8/27/2020 6:12 pm  #128

Looks like Long Beach might be running this league for awhile. Glad McGorrie got a chip though.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/02/2020 10:00 am  #129

WCEHL 1956 Owner’s Table

After a year of being dominated by a random individual who claims “beginners’ luck”, most of the owners were on edge. The feeling in the room was tense and all were quiet. Zamboni stared blankly at a wall as if he had seen more years in the past three seasons than any mortal man should be forced to see in a lifetime, Canton was busy readjusting his tie over and over again, Buissen asleep, Dust twiddling thumbs, Friday playing with a coin that had a head on both faces, Diggins had some action figures and the Sgt. stuck stiff like a board saluting because Zamboni had forgotten to give him the “at ease”. Finally, the meeting commenced when Stumbles came through the swinging door with some momentum and… well… stumbled. The room erupted in laughter and knee slaps. In an instance all were buddies again, seeming to forget the events from the previous year, even the lessons learned along the way.

Zamboni started off the yearly event swiftly.

Zamboni
“Real news this year everyone! We got a TV deal with CBS. This took a lot, but both us and the network seemed satisfied with the result. They asked for us to up our games to 50, and I demanded an interview with Jackie Gleason.”

Sgt. Johnson
“CBS, is that the one with the eye? I don’t know Zamboni, that thing freaks me out beyond belief.” 

Diggins
“TV, is that the thing with the flashing lights? I don’t know Zamboni, those things freak me out.”

Zamboni
“Come on guys, it’s Jackie! Let me have something for once.”

Dust
“Sorry buddy, my team hits their peak around game 43. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Canton
“I want to meet Gumby and Pokey.”

Friday
“Guys, please. This can be a lucrative deal we need to capitalize on it. Zamboni, can we do 40 games or 45, maybe?”

Zamboni
“It is settled. We will do 44!”

The whole roomed seemed a bit puzzled by such a strange number, not knowing it was the lowest CBS would go for Zamboni to still get a moment with Jackie Gleason.

Dust
“Didn’t know you were taking cues from a man who cheated his way to a championship. I’m on to you French.”

Friday
“Listen Icarus, don’t be getting upset with me because of your team’s dramatic downfall. Besides, you all agreed to trade me your assets. It isn’t cheating.”

Dust 
“My team would have beaten the snot out of yours if we had a better playoff system that let them in!”

Zamboni
“Dust, pipe down you were in seventh.”

Canton
“He does have a point though. As the third-place holder this year, I did feel very bad seeing only two teams getting to participate in the fun.”

Zamboni
“Do we all feel this way?”

A collective agreement was heard around the room.

Zamboni
“What do we want then? Three teams?”

Diggins
“Canton and I finished exactly the same this year. If he gets to go, I do too.”

Sgt. Johnson
“Then the first two teams don’t get any advantage for being better than the others. That is just unconstitutional.”
     Dust
“Then it’s settled, we do 7.”

Zamboni
“How does that even-. You know what, I am getting a headache. Does six work? Would that make the majority happy? A four-team wildcard to get the chance to play the league’s top two? This vote has to be unanimous”

The group looked around at each other trying to sample their friends. Dust was the first to give a yea. Then, it was Diggins and Johnson, who were the most consistent third place finishers. Stumbles raised his hand to fit in. Buissen elbowed Canton in the ribs and gave a dirty look until the pondering Tin put his hand up, leaving Buissen to follow. Finally, Friday took his hands off his temples and rubbed his eyes.

Friday
“I’ll submit under one condition. These new rounds only get three games maximum. I can’t sit around all day watching your teams relearn the game of hockey every time they step on the ice. I already have to do it 44 times a year, please don’t prolong the process more than need be.”

This would conclude the very active 1956 meeting. To summarize;

• The WCEHL will switch to a 44-game schedule due to a new TV contract with CBS, or what Diggins and Johnson call “freaky”.
  • The expansion of the post season will go from two teams to six teams. A dramatic change for the young league, but you know what they say… but I don’t.

New Threads

I didn’t know which post to share them in, so I’ll include the small changes for this year right here. San Diego will be altering their away look to better match what they wear at home. They will keep the tin that they are known for, and changed the horizontal “San Diego” on the front diagonal to mirror “Canners” on the home.

Previous

Update
 Thanks for being patient! Thoughts, comments and concerns are always appreciated and encouraged.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (11/13/2020 3:55 pm)

9/02/2020 10:07 am  #130

Geez, can French be any more condescending? I’d rather him get launched into space to never return.

Other than that, cool stuff! New playoffs, Canners getting a matching light jersey (which no complaints, that looks good), and TV? Things got interesting quick!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera