Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2020 10:08 am  #111

Re: West Coast Elite Hockey League

1955 WCEHL Trades

So, I guess I either broke my simulator, or maybe it hates me. Since there is so much on the plate this year in terms of trading, I’m going to try to make it simple by highlighting only the main trades.

June
San Diego trade veteran goalie Ken Seymour to Salt Lake for 1955’s 3rd overall selection, Ryan Bennett. (This was covered in the draft)

TTHC trades Braydon Holden, a 25-year-old LW, to Las Vegas for 2-time goalie of the year, Ed Gaston. It is unclear who won this trade because people have major concerns about Gaston when he’s not backing the most talented team in the league.

July
San Diego sends star goalie Rusty McFadden to Oakland. In return, the Patriots will receive a 3rd round pick in 1956 and one of Sgt. Johnson’s military friends to act as a bodyguard for Tin Canton when he gets scared of ghosts at night. 

TTHC gifts Las Vegas their budding star Chris Woollams for a 1956 3rd round pick and what Zamboni calls a “favor” from the owner of the Flamingos.

California gets Collin Cornish, who is far past his prime between the pipes at 36, and in return TTHC will pick up a 3rd round pick in the 1956 draft.

August (The Month of Long Beach’s Terror)
California receives a 5th round pick in the 1956 draft and a year’s worth of honey from Salt Lake in exchange for star defenseman, Al Stone. (Diggins just couldn’t resist a year’s worth of that perfect gold liquid)

Arizona makes a small investment, literally, by taking tiny but brash defenseman Smail Podrabsky from Salt Lake. The Bees would only get a 7th round pick in the 1956 draft to compensate, but it evens out when considering Smail will be turning 36 this year.

Long Beach receives 19-year-old future WCEHL star Jeffrey Tosewell from TTHC in exchange for another 1956 3rd round pick and 10% of Long Beach’s ticket sales for the next three years.

If the last trade wasn’t enough, Long Beach decided to double dip by grabbing 1953/54 MVP Billy McGorrie from California for the Quake’s 2nd and 5th pick in 1956 and a 1st round pick in 1962.

Finally, the world came to a halt when news broke that Long Beach had obtained last year’s MVP Anastasio Moran from Las Vegas. When asked how he did it, Friday responded by saying, “It only took a first and fourth round pick… I don’t think the owner of Las Vegas would like my lips getting too loose about any agreements beyond that”. French would then wink at the reporters and take a long, slow drag off his thin cigarette.

1955 WCEHL Free Agency Market
There were four major names on the market this offseason, and Long Beach continued to hold their destructive reputation by welcoming all four to the newest city in the league. These players include:

• Kenny Corderey - who is best known for his dominance in Oakland.
  • Cory Hornbury – Salt Lake’s breakthrough star over the past few years.
  • Hal Tapping – Known as “the original Canner” in San Diego. Held the “C” both years he was there.
  • Andress Riekstins – The lovable Latvian who won 2 titles with Arizona’s “four headed monster” squad.

Following the Pre-season, analysts put in their votes for who they thought would get to “smash the Magnum” this year, and all were in favor of Long Beach’s team that could easily take the title of WCEHL’s 1953-55 All-Star team. The writers went even further by predicting that the MVP race would be between Kenny Corderey, Anastasio Moran and Billy McGorrie, who were all set to be on the same line entering the season.

(To be honest, I think FHM6 has caught on to my shenanigans. It has gained sentience and is now trying to communicate with me using sick and cruel robot humor. Playing with this fire might get dangerous for me, but it is my duty to push even further into the Twilight for the fans. If I find myself in any trouble I will blink twice to signal that I need you to pull me out… Oh, wait a second…)

I know the time between seasons isn’t for everyone, as entertaining as I try to make them. So, here’s another rapid-fire update. 

8/18/2020 10:16 am  #112

So I see 0_ numbers are gonna be allowed in this league a la NASCAR. I like it.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/18/2020 10:21 am  #113

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

While the intention of that was to signify that he was the third overall pick in 1955 and had no actual number, I’m not opposed to the idea. Seems logical enough in this league.

8/18/2020 10:38 am  #114

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

While the intention of that was to signify that he was the third overall pick in 1955 and had no actual number, I’m not opposed to the idea. Seems logical enough in this league.

I’d go for it, it’s a fun little quirk that is pretty neat.

Plus, trades for a bodyguard, a years’ supply of honey, and ticket revenue? Oh boy these trades are gonna get weird and I’ll love them. Still waiting for someone to be traded for a bus or hockey net.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (8/18/2020 10:41 am)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)

8/18/2020 11:18 am  #115

Oh man, I've missed a lot of the madness already. French Friday. What a guy.

Love the Long Beach look, super classic and timeless identity that belies the type of owner it has.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/18/2020 10:04 pm  #116

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Good work all around, I'm not the biggest hockey person so it's refreshing to see someone take such a satire-y approach to a league. Makes me feel like I'm the smart one here, haha. Great work for real Scratch, the logos and uniforms look nice and the stories make me laugh, keep it up!

Pull up a seat, you'll fit right in. I also appreciate the kind words!

Mr. Zamboni's Wild Ride

It was late July in the year 1955, and the Motel 365’s banquet room that hosted the WCEHL draft seemed a little quiet this year.

Friday (leaning over to whisper in The House’s ear without knowing who it was)
“Are these usually this calm? Are the other owners really so careless that they wouldn't show up?”

The House
“I don’t know I’ve never met them. Stumbles seems to enjoy their company though.”

Friday
“Stumbles? I’ve walked into a circus.”

At the same time Friday muddled those words, the other owners were walking into Risneyland on its opening day celebration! They had forgotten about the draft (to most people’s relief), but this was a once in a lifetime experience that needed to be celebrated with friends. Their day went as follows:

7:00 AM – The owners sneak in using counterfeit tickets they bought from a man who wrote “Risney ticket” with a pen on a napkin.
8:00 AM – Buissen can be heard doing a deep, mucus filled cough on national TV as Malt Risney spoke his famous introduction, “To all who come to this happy place, I’ve proven that joy can be bought”.
11:00 AM – Sgt. Johnson unholsters a desert eagle and unloads it on an animatronic that scared him during a Jungle Cruise ride. He then proceeded to knock out the disgruntled Skipper and lead the voyage himself. Some say it was the most inspiring performance they’ve ever seen in the ride's history. So much so that Sgt. Johnson would continue to host cruises for important guests and special occasions until his old age made it so he could not do it any longer. 
1:00 PM – Tin Canton gets scared on Snow White's Scary Adventure, so Zamboni buys him ice cream and takes the Canner to Autopia.
3:00 PM – Cooper Dust loses his right boot because the cement had not set at the park. He somehow did not realize this until he was told that he didn’t meet the height requirement for the Mad Tea Party. Dust would have to go to the gift store and purchase comically oversized slippers meant to look like Rickey the Chain-Smoking Rat’s cartoon shoes. He still occasionally wears them to team meetings because of how comfortable they are.
4:15 PM – Diggins challenges Rickey the Chain-Smoking Rat to a bare-chested fist fight. Diggins would lose in round 4 of the 5-round event, but he was able to gain the rat’s respect.

1955 WCEHL Entry Draft

Back at the Motel, the draft offered some interesting moves from all teams. With the first pick, San Diego added to their deep prospect pool by taking Rezvan Ruohong, who is a risky pick due to the fact that he popped up on the radar out of nowhere only a year ago. Ray Strickland would go next to TTHC, the team had been eyeing the Colorado native from the start because he fit the organization's “play now” approach for prospects. The most shocking move came after the third pick when Salt Lake selected promising forward, Ryan Bennett, and immediately dealt him to San Diego for veteran goalie, Ken Seymour. (This would be considered an even trade by many analysts in attendance)

The first round’s back end consisted of California, Oakland and Arizona all selecting players with similar ability, but specialties in different areas. Las Vegas would conclude the opening seven by picking Adrian Berry, a player who was rightfully selected behind the rest, but still worthy of a shot when considering the competitive nature that is growing in the league.

The draft’s rounds would circle like a carousel, passing by slowly with odd circus music playing in the background. Well, the second part was only true for French Friday, who had been in a daze since realizing he had made the trip to the draft without actually owning any picks. It was only his first month in the league, but there were already signs of the chaos getting to him. Some were born to be part of the machine, and some were meant to be consumed. Friday, a man many would describe as normal, is no different, and it is only a matter of time until the WCEHL claims its next victim.

Quick Notes
Winner of the draft: San Diego Canners
     The blue, gold and tin are starting to prove they know a thing or two about prospects, and the fact that they had 3 of the first 12 picks makes them even more scary. It is only a matter of time until the youth shines on this team.

Loser of the draft: Long Beach Earthquakes
     I mean, there owner sat by himself through the whole thing. This would be the equivalent  of a child being forced to watching others open gifts on their own birthday. Hopefully someone feels sorry enough to pay the valet bill for him.

​As always, feel free to ask questions regarding the draft... or anything in the post, honestly. Next will be a wild ride through free agency and trades. Until then, I'll leave you with this...... you all remember how that song "It's A Small World" goes?

'Rezvan Ruohong'

His surname sound Chinese.
In fact, he might be Canadian of Chinese descent.
I mean, his surname (with my limited understanding of Mandarin) could mean as obvious as 'Red Fire'.

Wished him good luck with the Canners, though.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

8/22/2020 8:25 pm  #117

1955/56 WCEHL Season

The time has finally come to witness the new and improved eight team league! Much more optimal, much sleeker, much more mature. The WCEHL has no time for baby leagues, it is adult skate hours now!

On the first night of the season, fans got the treat of seeing Long Beach for the first time against the Grizzlies. Early play saw the heavily favored Earthquakes go down by 3, making the crowd unsure of what to think. It took an unreasonable amount of time for Long Beach to shine, but the 6 unanswered goals in the third period would mark the start of their dominance in the league.

The Quakes were led by their first line who broke out early with 45 combined points in 10 games, and ending the season with 193 points together. The trio were the most feared in the league, only stopping point production with each other on nights they felt others should get on the scoresheet. Moran would take his second consecutive MVP title in style, breaking the point record he set last year by 17. While Moran filled his trophy shelf, Kenny Corderey, Billy McGorrie and 37-year-old Juhani Vastamaki would all rank right behind the MVP in every category. The team’s explosive play that produced a total of 184 goals in 34 games would rightfully earn them one of two spots in the finals.

The second entry would go to the Oakland Patriots, who flew under the radar as the league’s attention focused on the high-flying action of the Quakes. Respect was much deserved for Sgt. Johnson and his team of misfits, though. The Patriots had climbed a rank each year to finally earn their chance in the spotlight. Even after losing Corderey to LB, Oakland was able to stabilize due to lesser known Jerry Townsend’s ability to step into a leadership role. The 24-year-old would lead the team in points, while captain Joe Nichols would pick up any slack. Being outclassed by 13 points in the regular season, Oakland will go into the finals considered substantial underdogs.

Both the San Diego Canners and TTHC would find themselves tied at 32 points at the end of the season, but both teams got there in very different ways. San Diego were finally able to reap the benefits of a strong prospect pool this season. Instead of weeping at the conclusion of the final game, Tin Canton found himself congratulating Ruohong, Bennett and Apperson for being able to take the challenge of the league and exceeding expectations. On the other side, TTHC achieved their position with a roster filled with age. Zamboni capitalized in free agency by picking up a handful of hardworking veterans, and their “any way possible” approach to games would take many teams by surprise.

California would move backwards without McGorrie, and the Las Vegas/Arizona era ended as quickly as it had begun. The two teams had no choice but to sit and watch from the sidelines while LB rode their previous stars to the promise land. The fans in Las Vegas kept their mouths quiet, fully aware that they were the ones who demanded a roster overhaul after losing in the finals two years straight, but Arizona fans had plenty to say for the both of them. In the middle of it all was a very lonely Joe Benoit, who, despite putting together an MVP nominee performance, would not be smashing a magnum for the first time in his career.

…Oh, and Salt Lake were an absolute disaster. 

8/22/2020 8:49 pm  #118

*spits my coffee* I told you for the last time, you grind the beans and pour hot water through the beans..and WHY THE f--k DID I DO WHAT I DID!?

Last edited by Darknes (8/23/2020 6:25 pm)

8/23/2020 6:20 pm  #119

Wow, Long Beach really just came in and took over the league. I'm rooting for McGorrie but I'd like to see an upset by Oakland.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/23/2020 6:40 pm  #120

Is this a swindler’s trick by Friday? He’s assembled a damn hydra in Long Beach!!!

Board footera