Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2020 5:09 pm  #1

Edmonton CFL team to change name

So, this just happened...

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-cfl-franchise-to-drop-eskimos-name-1.1496402

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what they should be called now? Empire is the heavy favourite but personally I prefer Elks (that name has history behind it - it was the name for a different Edmonton football team in the 1920s). Does anyone here think they should change their colours? (I think they shouldn't.)

What say you? Let's talk about it.

And, please - CCLXXXVII said this on the Washington ******** rebrand thread, and I will say it here - BE CIVIL!

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

7/16/2020 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Edmonton CFL team to change name

Edmonton Inuits.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/16/2020 6:51 pm  #3

I'm with you on Elks, but Empire is almost impressively bad. The league already has the REDBLACKS, it doesn't need another stupid name. 

7/16/2020 8:30 pm  #4

Elks is really a solid name, they can keep the EE logo as well. Empire is great if you're the villains in a late 70's space opera. Not for a sports team.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/16/2020 10:01 pm  #5

I'm also team Elks, they wouldn't even have to change their logo

7/16/2020 10:08 pm  #6

I agree with Elks, would be a good shift without having to completely rebrand. I think they should keep the colours and everything as well.

7/17/2020 4:51 pm  #7

Yeah, Elks would be the best choice by far.  Really surprised by this, I had thought they had already announced that they were keeping the Eskimos name... things do change quickly though.

7/17/2020 10:48 pm  #8

As a life long CFL fan, who admittedly doesn't like the Eskimos, as long as they don't change anything else by even a jockstrap, I'm good.

And I'm dead serious. New Era has already f***** with the CFL enough that they don't need to mess up one of the most classic brands in the league.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

6/01/2021 11:36 am  #9

Here it is! The Edmonton Elks!

A gold helmet featuring an antler was seen during the announcement livestream. It's a little unclear if they'll keep the gold EE helmet as well.

Last edited by QCS (6/01/2021 11:37 am)

6/01/2021 2:11 pm  #10

Good look! It is the obvious pick, but they did well with it

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

Board footera