Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2020 12:34 pm  #1

Your favorite moments as a sports fan

Since i started a one for your worst, i’ll Start one for my best
1993 Western Conference First Round: The Suns trailed the Lakers 2-0 and won the series 3-2 in game 5 Dan Marjele hit a game tying shot to force OT which the Suns went on to win
1997 NCAA Men’s B-Ball final: Arizona beats Kentucky in OT
2001 World Series game 7 bottom 9th inning: Best sports moment ever
2009 NFC wild card overtime vs Green Bay
2015 NFC divisional round also vs the Packers I was at that game
2006 Suns 3-1 comeback vs Lakers
What are your favorite sports memories?

6/13/2020 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Your favorite moments as a sports fan

-Philly Special - Super Bowl 52! 
-Kris Jenkins buzzer beater "for the championship!" \V/ 
-Flyers coming back from 3 down in game seven against the Bruins...after being three down in the series to win it.
-Allen Iverson stepping over Lue in the 2001 Finals
-2008 Phillies World Series on my birthday

6/13/2020 1:57 pm  #3

NHL: Preds getting to the Cup Finals.
NASCAR: Martin Truex Jr. winning the 2017 title, proving his career is long from dead.
NFL: The Bus finally getting a Super Bowl win in his hometown with the Steelers
MLB: The 2013 World Series run by the Red Sox.
NBA: Toronto’s title (mainly for Freddy Vanvleet)
NCAAF: Kansas State’s run to #1 in the nation.
NCAAB: Wichita State’s unbelievable Final Four appearance.
EPL: Arsenal’s back to back FA Cups, and the 16-17 FA Cup.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/13/2020 2:25 pm  #4

NHL: The Blackhawks winning the 2010/2013 Stanley Cup. Both are equally as memorable, being Kane's OT goal in game 6 or the 2 goals in 30 seconds to clinch the Cup
NFL: 2018 Bears run to win the NFC North for the first time in like 10 years (we don't talk about the playoffs)
MLB: Cubs winning the World Series. Coming back from being down 3-1 and playing one of the best games in World Series history. 
NCAAF: Notre Dame's run to the top in 2012 and 2018 (before getting getting pummeled by 'Bama and Clemson, respectively)
NASCAR: Jeff Gordon getting his final win in Martinsville in 2015. Probably when Jimmie gets his next win and breaks his drought it may top that (which is ironic to me, since I hated JJ because he "won too much" and the fact he took the championship over Edwards in '09 angered the heck out of an 8 year old me who didn't understand how the Chase/Playoffs worked)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

6/13/2020 2:55 pm  #5

NHL: 2014 First Round Game 7, Nino ringing a shot bar down to send the Wild to the second round

NFL: The Minneapolis Miracle. I'll never forget being packed into the back seat of the car with my brother and my buddy form my team on my way to a game in Hudson listening to the 4th quarter on the radio. All of us were dead silent and honestly depressed because we thought we had blown it. Then I got to hear Paul Allen's iconic call live. As soon as he screamed "Stay in bounds!" we were all losing our sh-t in the car. I remember everyone (except for the odd Packer fan) being more excited about that than the actual game we had. We even did the Skol Chant around the net because why the hell not. Honestly my favorite sports memory of all time, one of the few bright spots in Minnesota Sports history lol.

MLB: Joe Mauer's walk off home run against the Red Sox in 2017. This was his only walk off during his career and I happened to be at this game with my brother.

MLS: Not really a particular moment, but having experienced Wonderwall in person after a Loons win I can honestly say it is one of the coolest things I've seen.

NCAAF: The Gophers finally winning back the Axe in 2018. This was the first time in my life that I actually saw the Gophers beat the Badgers, and it felt so good to finally have it.

NCAAH: Nic Dowd going pipe and in against Notre Dame in Overtime during the NCAA Tournament. 1:01 into video

6/13/2020 3:22 pm  #6

Section30 wrote:

NHL: 2014 First Round Game 7, Nino ringing a shot bar down to send the Wild to the second round

NFL: The Minneapolis Miracle. I'll never forget being packed into the back seat of the car with my brother and my buddy form my team on my way to a game in Hudson listening to the 4th quarter on the radio. All of us were dead silent and honestly depressed because we thought we had blown it. Then I got to hear Paul Allen's iconic call live. As soon as he screamed "Stay in bounds!" we were all losing our sh-t in the car. I remember everyone (except for the odd Packer fan) being more excited about that than the actual game we had. We even did the Skol Chant around the net because why the hell not. Honestly my favorite sports memory of all time, one of the few bright spots in Minnesota Sports history lol.

MLB: Joe Mauer's walk off home run against the Red Sox in 2017. This was his only walk off during his career and I happened to be at this game with my brother.

MLS: Not really a particular moment, but having experienced Wonderwall in person after a Loons win I can honestly say it is one of the coolest things I've seen.

NCAAF: The Gophers finally winning back the Axe in 2018. This was the first time in my life that I actually saw the Gophers beat the Badgers, and it felt so good to finally have it.

NCAAH: Nic Dowd going pipe and in against Notre Dame in Overtime during the NCAA Tournament. 1:01 into video

So I guess you were not alive when the Twins won the World Series in 1987 or 91

6/13/2020 3:32 pm  #7

So hard to narrow down, but here are a few highlights.

In 2015, I won a pair of Steelers tickets on James Harrison's instagram randomly on a Saturday for a Sunday noon game in Pittsburgh. I lived in Dallas. But my brother and I bought red eye flights starting at 3AM and had 4 layovers on our way to PGH. While switching planes in Chicago O'Hare we bumped into Steelers legend Hines Ward who was on his way to Green Bay for the NBC night broadcast. Epic moment. Flew into PGH, rented a car, drove to downtown, found a place to park, hotfooted it to the stadium and picked up our tickets which were pretty nice ones on the open end goal line. Sat down 2 minutes to kick off. We proceeded to trounce the 49'ers. Then as soon as the game was over we hotfooted it back to the airport, had 2 more layovers and landed back in Dallas at 1AM. And I went to work at 8AM Monday morning wondering if all of that had actually happened. Haha.

Super Bowl 43 was epic. James Harrison's 100-yard INT TD return is still one of my favorite moments. Santonio Holmes' catch. (yes, it was a catch!)

So many other moments as a Steelers fan. Since Troy Polamalu was recently inducted into the HOF, I'll go with some of those memories. His fingertip INT against SD still boggles my mind. Against the Titans when he jumped the over line at the snap and sacked Kerry Collins. When he intercepted Joe Flacco to seal the playoff win. Him trucking Carson Palmer for the return TD still sticks with me.

Adrian Beltre's 3000th hit while with the Texas Rangers. Magical moment for one of the best guys in baseball.

Even though I'm not a Mavs fan, their title run in 2011 was incredible. The feeling in DFW was absolutely electric and it was easy to root for them. I had never experienced a city on fire like that before.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/13/2020 3:39 pm  #8

Rugrat wrote:

No, that was well before my time haha. I haven't been lucky enough to see a mens sports team win a title from Minnesota in my lifetime. Our womens teams kick ass (Lynx and Whitecaps) but I wish the men could get some of that lol

6/13/2020 3:46 pm  #9

Section30 wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

No, that was well before my time haha. I haven't been lucky enough to see a mens sports team win a title from Minnesota in my lifetime. Our womens teams kick ass (Lynx and Whitecaps) but I wish the men could get some of that lol

Look I live in Arizona so our teams only contend for a title like once every 5 years. So our states teams are pretty much trash every year

6/13/2020 4:20 pm  #10

Two for the Panthers, both from 2015. First was the Thanksgiving game against Dallas (our first ever Thanksgiving game), somehow going in as underdogs despite being like 7-0 and Dallas being like 4-3, then preceding to stop on them so hard we basically ended Tony Romo's career. Next was the NFC Championship game against Arizona, just utter domination on both sides of the ball. Incredibly fun game to watch. 

Nothing for the Hornets because they're nothing but a pile of misery, the O's have been terrible for a while, and I'm not a big enough Ravens fan to really consider anything recent. I guess watching the Calder Cup game in Charlotte against the Wolves this past year (the only game we lost that series, are you kidding me?), playoff hockey is intense and there's nothing quite like it. (Quick aside - you know the longest playoff hockey game in AHL history? I was there - Charlotte vs Lehigh Valley.)

Board footera