Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2020 2:23 am  #1

The History of a National Hockey Team: How to make things interesting?

I've been a lurker and poster for a year now since day one. And I think it's time for me to take a stab at creating my own lore based on my Nationstates account that I created for many years.

To give you a context, I have a country in Nationstates called 'Khytonya' (don't ask me why I just created the name out of my mind). It's basically an elective monarchy/unitary parliament with devolution to regional authorities. The country was formed as a union between two former states, namely Kyneriland and Tonecia. Since then, the national government ruled Khytonya while the royal family was only a figurehead and a representation of the state. The elective monarchy part is the surviving royal families that still exist to this day.

When I first created that name on Nationstates, I didn't have an idea on what to base my country on so I took whatever looks cool on my team and apply to the identity. Back then, I'm quite young and foolish so I haven't got an idea of what looks good and what doesn't look good. However, as I matured up, I began to take cultural inspirations from a few European (UK and Germany) and East Asian countries (Japan and a bit of Korea and China). My biggest idea, however, comes from the country where me and my parents lived for decades.

You see, Malaysia is a country much like the US (where it's essentially a melting pot full of ethnic groups of different backgrounds). In this case, you have the Malay, Chinese and Indian living together (mostly) in harmony. You also have other minorities such as the Bumiputera, the Orang Asli and the various tribes from East Malaysia (Sarawak and Sabah). As a short personal note, I am a local Sabahan (or Malaysian, whichever you want to refer to) born to a Kadazan-Dusun father and an Iban mother. The latter has a great-grandmother originally from Mongolia.

Now back to Khytonya. I have an idea where instead of creating a league and simulating the results season by season, I simulate the results of international sports cup (e.g. the World Cup, the World Hockey Championship, the World Baseball Classic etc.). Moreover, I'm focusing on the history of Khytonya's national sports team and their performance on the IIHF World Hockey Championship starting on around the mid-'30s (though I haven't decided just yet).

The trouble is what I should do with the existing countries. You see, all the countries competing in WHC are real. And so, simulating the entire competition is a bit impossible to make out because I have to consider their strengths and weaknesses. I could try to use fictional squads to get around the problem, but I think it ends here. Besides, I don't want to turn Khytonya's history into a Mary Sue-like story. I have to plan on how to carefully create something people find it enjoyable to read and follow.

So what do you think about my idea? Good, bad or just focus on creating my own hockey league so the process makes it easier to start a forum with?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

5/30/2020 2:52 am  #2

Re: The History of a National Hockey Team: How to make things interesting?

Not to take away from your fictional country, but your knowledge and grasp of Malaysia and connected cultures always seems quite deep. I'd be fascinated by a small project that focused on those people groups and sporting cultures. (probably not hockey, I'd imagine) But on to the question at hand.

I think both ideas are viable. If you focused on the National Team, I'd want story. It's gotta have some USA basketball "Dream Team" gravitas to it. That'd be a totally character driven aspect that we haven't seen as much here. I think there's less room for design though, unless that's your intention. However, it does give extra space for layout design and infographics to present something visually appealing. For other real-life countries, I think you'd simply take into account their hockey prowess in the given year and assign them a similar strength value. You can cherry-pick characters/players/etc from those squads, given you're not cataloging their history, only whatever serves the main story for your Nation Team.

But if you're wanting to focus on more design elements, then a league is the way to go. But I like all of your ideas.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/30/2020 6:28 am  #3

Steelman wrote:

Not to take away from your fictional country, but your knowledge and grasp of Malaysia and connected cultures always seem quite deep. I'd be fascinated by a small project that focused on those people groups and sporting cultures. (probably not hockey, I'd imagine) But on to the question at hand.

I think both ideas are viable. If you focused on the National Team, I'd want a story. It's gotta have some USA basketball "Dream Team" gravitas to it. That'd be a totally character-driven aspect that we haven't seen as much here. I think there's less room for design though unless that's your intention. However, it does give extra space for layout design and infographics to present something visually appealing. For other real-life countries, I think you'd simply take into account their hockey prowess in the given year and assign them a similar strength value. You can cherry-pick characters/players/etc from those squads, given you're not cataloguing their history, only whatever serves the main story for your Nation Team.

But if you're wanting to focus on more design elements, then a league is the way to go. But I like all of your ideas.

I've been a hockey jersey designer for three years, but designing every unique identity takes some dedication to work with. By doing a story like this, I can focus on one team and handle the media package reminiscent of the appropriate era.

As for the rest of the countries, though. I have to consider that divisions exist. Back then, when 'pools' were introduced in 1950, there were only a handful of countries participating in the IHWC. So, it's not like my fictional country stays in the top division for the longest. And besides, most of the squads before the late 90s aren't necessarily recorded.

It would be lucky for me if every game stats and players were recorded in history books. However, my other option is to create an entirely fictional squad by scratch using a fantasy name generator.

Also, I have an idea where I create a scoreboard not just to detail the scores, but to highlight some moments from different periods. Add in some newspapers and diaries from different players, coaches and managers. And BAM, a device to tell the story to the readers.

But first, I need some graphic (in the form of a newspaper) and scoreboard inspirations. Is there anything you can help me with it?

5/30/2020 12:57 pm  #4

Civil War and Communist/Fascist Periods do a great job of making your country’s history interesting. And considering you have an Asian-esque country around the time a lot of political change was sweeping through the continent, You’re bound to run into one of those.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

6/01/2020 1:02 am  #5

FC Macbeth wrote:

Steelman wrote:

Not to take away from your fictional country, but your knowledge and grasp of Malaysia and connected cultures always seem quite deep. I'd be fascinated by a small project that focused on those people groups and sporting cultures. (probably not hockey, I'd imagine) But on to the question at hand.

I think both ideas are viable. If you focused on the National Team, I'd want a story. It's gotta have some USA basketball "Dream Team" gravitas to it. That'd be a totally character-driven aspect that we haven't seen as much here. I think there's less room for design though unless that's your intention. However, it does give extra space for layout design and infographics to present something visually appealing. For other real-life countries, I think you'd simply take into account their hockey prowess in the given year and assign them a similar strength value. You can cherry-pick characters/players/etc from those squads, given you're not cataloguing their history, only whatever serves the main story for your Nation Team.

I've been a hockey jersey designer for three years, but designing every unique identity takes some dedication to work with. By doing a story like this, I can focus on one team and handle the media package reminiscent of the appropriate era.

As for the rest of the countries, though. I have to consider that divisions exist. Back then, when 'pools' were introduced in 1950, there were only a handful of countries participating in the IHWC. So, it's not like my fictional country stays in the top division for the longest. And besides, most of the squads before the late 90s aren't necessarily recorded.

It would be lucky for me if every game stats and players were recorded in history books. However, my other option is to create an entirely fictional squad by scratch using a fantasy name generator.

Also, I have an idea where I create a scoreboard not just to detail the scores, but to highlight some moments from different periods. Add in some newspapers and diaries from different players, coaches and managers. And BAM, a device to tell the story to the readers.

But first, I need some graphic (in the form of a newspaper) and scoreboard inspirations. Is there anything you can help me with it?

I like your thinking on this. I would probably do the fictional names and characters to give you more control over how it all interacts with your story.

I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I'll take a look around. Feel free to message me directly via email or Discord. PM me for either.

6/01/2020 2:36 am  #6

Steelman wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

Steelman wrote:

I like your thinking on this. I would probably do the fictional names and characters to give you more control over how it all interacts with your story.

I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I'll take a look around. Feel free to message me directly via email or Discord. PM me for either.

And that would mean me designing what those national teams are wearing during championships. Remember that no team wears the same jerseys throughout each tournament.

As I said in the last paragraph, I want inspiration for newspapers and scoreboards. Which would mean I have to make my own on MS Paint. This puts me in a challenge to make a graphic that fits the timeline well.

The thing is, do scoreboards exists in the 50s and the 60s?

6/01/2020 3:06 am  #7

ThisIsFine wrote:

Civil War and Communist/Fascist Periods do a great job of making your country’s history interesting. And considering you have an Asian-esque country around the time a lot of political change was sweeping through the continent, You’re bound to run into one of those.

I will tell you one thing, boy. By the time World War 2 had ended, people have had enough with the Orang Puteh (aka the British). When communism swept to Malaya, the Malayan Communist Party was formed to gain their freedom and boot out the colonists from their lands. However, thanks to the success of the Malayan Emergency and the competence of a commissioner named Sir Gerald Templar, the MCP failed to get what they wanted and folded into the history of Malayan Independence (and possibly Formation of Malaysia).

Of course, the most famous case involving Communism vs. Capitalism is the Vietnam War. It's where the US deservingly lost against North Vietnam which gave the world the communism in Vietnam to this very day.

I'll see if I can implement a communist element in my story.

Oh sorry, OUR story.

6/01/2020 4:42 am  #8

FC Macbeth wrote:

And that would mean me designing what those national teams are wearing during championships. Remember that no team wears the same jerseys throughout each tournament.

As I said in the last paragraph, I want inspiration for newspapers and scoreboards. Which would mean I have to make my own on MS Paint. This puts me in a challenge to make a graphic that fits the timeline well.

I don't mean to imply I'd be involved in the project in any way. I think you can design scoreboard graphics in any way that makes sense and clearly shows information. 

I particularly like the last one, although it seems it's from the 70's.

A graphic similar to the last one above might make for a good banner to insert above regular paragraph text. That way you don't have to edit large swaths of text in graphic form.

Not sure if those are helpful or not. I designed a "vintage inspired" baseball scoreboard for my Torland Star League a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. Different sport, but shows my process in something that fells vintage enough.

6/01/2020 6:40 am  #9

Steelman wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

I don't mean to imply I'd be involved in the project in any way. I think you can design scoreboard graphics in any way that makes sense and clearly shows information. 

I particularly like the last one, although it seems it's from the 70's.

A graphic similar to the last one above might make for a good banner to insert above regular paragraph text. That way you don't have to edit large swaths of text in graphic form.

Not sure if those are helpful or not. I designed a "vintage inspired" baseball scoreboard for my Torland Star League a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. Different sport, but shows my process is something that fells vintage enough.

Don't mistake my reply for your constant help. All I need is tons of images to see what elements should I take on my creative designs and my story.

6/01/2020 7:06 am  #10

Here's the vintage baseball scoreboard graphic I designed, maybe it can be an inspiration. I googled tons of vintage boards to inspire this one.

Board footera