Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2020 3:25 pm  #81

Re: Escalian Football League

Wallflower wrote:

Great game between Adelaide and Norfolk.
I've been following along quietly, and I am really digging the series so far. Each team has an interesting brand and I love it. Great Job!

Well that makes two of us, since I've been following your NAAF thread silently as well (been a fan of the Blue Wings since they added the wing to the helmet) and I should probably return the favor some time. Glad your enjoying the series so far!

QCS wrote:

Liking the league so far. I don't have a favorite team yet, but I do like the Racers and Knights. Excited for the game!

I think you'll really like the championship game - it's a doosy!

Stickman wrote:

Really dig the update to Dragon's helmet color!  Much better overall in my opinion!  Also, the championship stars on the jersey is a really cool idea and I like how this seems to be the start of a tradition, (one that I hope lasts the entirety of this series!)

Go 'Jacks!

Thanks! I think that'll be Duvall's design for some time, as long as they don't stay in the gutter in their division of death. I always liked how some soccer teams had a crest representing how many championships they've won, and thought that could translate to football as well. After all, soccer is the most popular sport in Escalia at the moment, so I guess it's a good thing to include if the owners want to get soccer fans to also like football

Just as a heads-up, I'll be slowing down posting here for the near future, since I have to run a campaign for my Pathfinder group, meaning I have to worldbuild and create a halfway-decent story (for those who don't know, Pathfinder is basically another tabletop roleplaying game that is most similar Dungeons & Dragons)

For now, the 3rd Escalian Cup will be up shortly!

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

6/24/2020 3:39 pm  #82

3rd Escalian Cup: Kierport vs. Norfolk 

Kierport and Norfolk were neck and neck the whole year, with their regular season game being a barnburner with Norfolk coming out on top, hence why the ‘Jacks are the home team in the Cup. Kierport’s Derrick Acker was listed as a game-time decision, and most anticipated him to start. However, when the Knights ran out on the field to a collective booing from the home crowd, he was not seen dressed up in his uniform, opting to let the rookie take the reins in the championship game to not aggravate his injury any further. In an interview following the game, he said that “I wanted to start that game so bad. But I didn’t want to interrupt my teammate from the biggest game of his life. I’ve had my big game, and now it’s time for his big game. Who knows, maybe we’ll both see the ball next year with his production.” 

If you expected this game to be another barnburner, the first quarter alone would prove you right. Norfolk started with the ball first, and immediately made an impact by scoring within the first 2 minutes thanks to an amazing 62 yard passing play from QB Willard Taft to WR Paul Leyton. RB Eddy Belmont sealed off the quick drive two plays later with a run into the endzone. The Knights wouldn’t take too long to score as well, as Dane and Underwood took turns on runs before Dane dove in to tie the game at 7 apiece. The ‘Jacks would punt on their next drive, with the Knights quickly putting another drive together and finding the endzone again, this time Underwood reaching the endzone to make the Knights pull ahead by a score. Norfolk would strike back, thanks to the legs of Belmont, who would cap off their drive to tie the game at 14 before the first quarter expired.
END OF Q1: 14-14 TIE
The second quarter saw some slowing momentum to the high powered offenses. The Knights had a prolonged drive that lasted for most of the first half of the quarter, but luckily ended on a scramble by Dane to take the lead again. Norfolk struck back again, using Belmont’s agility to the team’s advantage by scoring twice after the Knights stalled in the early part of the quarter, striking back on Kierport’s drive by scoring a touchdown off another Belmont run and punching in a field goal to take the lead at halftime.
END OF Q2: 24-14 NOR
Norfolk kept their momentum running, taking advantage of a failed Knights drive to start the half for Taft to find Leyton again in the endzone to extend their lead to 17. Kierport countered with a successful drive of their own, with Dane and Underwood taking turns chipping away yardage until Underwood snuck his way in on a one yard plunge to cut the lead to two possessions. Norfolk’s momentum slowed a bit, as they managed to stop the Knights’ offense momentarily, but couldn’t manage a touchdown for the rest of the quarter, punching in two more field goals in the 3rd. After Norfolk’s second field goal, Kierport was determined to get a score of any kind before the quarter ended. Their determination helped them to an extremely fast drive of only two plays, with the second play resulting in a Paul Dane scramble that went 73 yards to score 6. However, the PAT would sail wide left of the uprights. The Knights were now only 3 points from retaking the lead. 
END OF Q3: 37-34 NOR
With all the high-paced offence in the first 3 quarters, the 4th saw a slowing down of the pace. Norfolk went back at it with their retaliation of Knights’ drives with another seemingly successful one, until they went three and out on their own 5 and had to take a field goal to extend their lead to 6. Kierport went back at it, taking their time to give the ‘Jacks as little time as possible. However, the Knights had some poor clock management, having burned a few time outs on the drive, and scored the touchdown with only 0:54 left on the clock on a Dane dive to retake the lead for the first time since the first quarter, 41-40. The Knights would regret giving the ‘Jacks that much time, as Norfolk quickly steamrolled downfield and were almost in field goal range with 20 seconds left. Key word: almost. Willard Taft aimed for WR Lucas Baumbach at the 34 yard line, which would have set up the game-winning field goal if the pass was completed. Unfortunately, the pass was read by DB Gavin Parent, who swooped in and intercepted the ball, and ran back all the way to seal away the game for the Knights.

(Seen here: Gavin Parent making the game winning interception to seal Kierport’s second straight Cup victory)

Being two possessions back and having only 6 seconds left on the clock, Norfolk tried to quickly get one last touchdown. One last passing play was called, but the heaved pass was overshot. Kierport had won their second cup in the most dramatic of fashions.

FINAL: 48-40 KIE
Kierport’s Paul Dane would walk away with the MVP honors in what would become known as the “Epic in Norfolk”. He almost took over Derrick Acker’s rushing record at 219 yards, which easily beats the record for the most rushing yards in the Escalian Cup by a quarterback. “Oh man, oh Lord. Two in a row! Never thought I had to play in the best game I’ve ever played to get there, but that added to the fun of it. Next year, we’re going for three!” 

Fun Fact: This is the first time the away team has won in a playoff game, which is weird since I haven’t been giving the home team an advantage in these games, so both teams are equally as capable of winning. Interesting tidbit that I saw as I finished simulating this season

6/24/2020 3:57 pm  #83

An instant classic!

6/24/2020 8:12 pm  #84

What an awesome game! The legend of Paul Dane continues to grow in the early stages of the league. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/24/2020 8:38 pm  #85

I just found this league today, and like most newcomers, I'm really liking it. My team is the Mariners and hopefully things will start to look up for them. Also, if you have one ready, I would love a Mariners sig, 

6/27/2020 6:35 pm  #86

ANDY! wrote:

I just found this league today, and like most newcomers, I'm really liking it. My team is the Mariners and hopefully things will start to look up for them. Also, if you have one ready, I would love a Mariners sig, 

Glad to have another follower on board! Here's your Mariners sig as requested:

And while I'm at it, here's the offseason, which includes some big news:

1962-63 Offseason
Draft:
1st - Ellesby Mariners: OL Samuel Gosse (Howle College)
After losing two of their linemen to retirement this offseason, Ellesby takes the best offensive lineman on the board to revitalize their sinking ship
2nd - Orcaster Racers: OL Michael Brandt (Argil Agricultural College)
The Racers attempt to plug up their gaping holes by preventing any from opening up on the O-Line by taking the next best lineman in Brandt
3rd - Augusta Bulls: WR Lloyd Blackman (Arcanora Tech)
The Bulls try to close up their receiving game and improve on offense by taking Blackman, whose stellar senior season attracted scouts across the league and nearly took home the Ward Trophy
4th - Duvall Dragons: OL Arthur Beverly (Howle College)
Following the trend, Duvall also takes a lineman to get over the 5-5 hump
5th - Adelaide Owls: LB Dennis Frost (University of Huron)
The Owls take the best defensive player available to recuperate their slowly dying defense
6th - Hadley Gatekeepers: DB Audrey Maynard (Ashonta Tech)
Feeling that their offense is well-suited to go to the Cup, the ‘Keepers take a defensive player in Maynard
7th - Norfolk Lumberjacks: DB Ryan Travis (Great Plains Provincial University)
The ‘Jacks take the next best defensive back on the board to make up for the retirement of their former starter
8th - Kierport Knights: QB Keiran Cody (Taerrisian Provincial University)
A shock to all, the Knights take the Ward winning quarterback in Keiran Cody as a backup to Dane. The Knights didn’t need a great quarterback (see Paul Dane as to why), but after last year’s debacle with Acker and Underwood the Knights decided to double down on good backups. After all, Dane and Acker are approaching their mid 30’s, so these new kids on the block may be a good think after all. 

Player/Coach Movement:
The offseason saw a lot of players decide to hang up their cleats. To name a few, ADL DT Frank Kneller hung his up after 17 total seasons in amateurs and in the pros, HAD WR Lambert Hollman walked away after only 6 total seasons of play, and ORC QB Jeremy Hunt retired after being plagued with injuries over the past two years, playing for 7 years in the bigs.  
In the coaching carousel, ELB HC Jack Backus was fired after three disappointing seasons in the EFL, and 12 seasons with the team in total. In his place, they hired University of Huron HC Flint Mullins, one of the most defensively minded coaches on the market. Backus wouldn’t be out of a job for long, as he would be hired by the Bulls as their new DC, as their previous DC Harley Victor retired after the 1962 season. ORC OC Terry Dressler was also let go, citing the downfall of the team’s production over the past two years. Promoted to the spot is their QB coach, Peter Short. 

Logo/Uniform Changes:
No teams made any significant changes, except for Kierport, adding a second star on their patch.

News:
The offseason got even bigger, as during the draft, Commissioner Merrill announced that there would be an expansion for the 1964 and 1965 seasons. Rumors had circulated that expansion was imminent, as the Owner’s Council had been interviewing owners the past season in secret, but the secret didn’t stay a secret for long and was the talk of the league up until the draft. Most had predicted that two teams would join in two seasons, like how the NFL handed their expansion teams of the Vikings and Cowboys. Merrill turned that rumor on its head when he announced that 4 teams would join in the two season time frame, with two new teams per season. When approached on which 4 cities would be joining the league, Merrill responded that the 4 cities had already been chosen, and the league would work out when each of the teams would join. He also said that the first two teams would be unveiled during the halftime of the next Escalian Cup, with the next two being announced in next year’s offseason.  

Preseason Power Rankings:
Norfolk Lumberjacks
Kierport Knights
Augusta Bulls
Hadley Gatekeepers
Duvall Dragons
Adelaide Owls
Orcaster Racers
Ellesby Mariners 

6/27/2020 6:39 pm  #87

It can only get better from here Hadley!

7/01/2020 4:20 pm  #88

Taking a quarterback when you're two-straight champs definitely seems weird, but hopefully if nothing else we can flip him for a nice player. DANETRAINFOREVER

I'm looking forward to expansion soon!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/01/2020 6:27 pm  #89

North Division:

Predictably, Kierport and Hadley ran the table like last year. The Knights developed a proto-wishbone formation (they replaced the FB for another TE or WR) to utilize their three backs to their fullest, achieving roughly the same record as last year. Hadley proved that last year’s success was not a fluke, as QB Jack Reuter had a career year combined with his arsenal of wide receivers, finally winning MVP honors over the favorites in the Knights’ back three. Ellesby stayed the same as last year even with the coaching change, and seems to be in a period of long decline. Orcaster’s decline is even faster than Ellesby’s, winning only once this year, showing no signs of the Escalian Cup team that they were only a few seasons ago. 

South Division:
Augusta took over the South, becoming the third different team to win the South in 3 years. Led by a revitalized defense, they stormed over their rivals in the division. DT Gideon Skeates had a breakthrough year, and was a nominee for the MVP, a first among MVP voting. He still took Defensive Player of the Year though, winning it easily. Another one of Augusta’s players, rookie WR Lloyd Blackman, took home another award for the team, taking rookie of the year honors after helping improve the lackluster offense last season. Norfolk finished with the same record as last year, but took second place instead. Duvall tried to get over their hump of mediocrity, showing flashes of greatness over their rivals in Adelaide where they finally won a game in Adelaide, but were sluggish in other places resulting in a mediocre sub-500 season. Adelaide’s core finally is starting to fall, as they their first losing season in franchise history at a measly 3 wins.  

Awards:
Most Valuable Player: QB Jack Reuter (HAD)
Most Valuable Coach:  Kevin Lowe (AUG)
Most Outstanding Offensive Player: RB Derrick Acker (KIE)
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: DT Gideon Skeates (AUG)
Most Outstanding Rookie: WR Lloyd Blackman (AUG) 

Playoff Preview:

Hadley Gatekeepers @ Kierport Knights
The old rivals meet once again for a spot in the Escalian Cup. These two teams may seem the same on paper, but they’ve changed vastly since they’ve last met in this spot. Both have improved offenses, Hadley with their renewed passing attack and Kierport with its revised running scheme to benefit out of all three in the backfield. 
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Expect this game to be the same as last year, high scoring and all. Kierport winning two in a row will be the ultimate factor in winning. 33-28 KIE

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Augusta Bulls
If you had guessed last year that Augusta would win the South, people would think you were crazy, but believable. The South has been referred to as the “Group of Death” due to the steep competition between all four teams. Augusta took advantage of the power vacuum that Adelaide left when they fell off and took hold of the division out of the hands of the reigning division champions in Norfolk. Don’t take Norfolk too lightly though, as they’re still the same team still hungry for a title.
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: This may either be a close one or a blowout. We’re going with the former as Norfolk eeks by Augusta in the upset. 17-16 NOR

7/01/2020 9:36 pm  #90

Well, at least my Mariners weren't in last place!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera