Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2020 2:24 am  #41

Re: Escalian Football League

Owls: Cool team. I think it'd be better off without the helmet stripe as they're too similar of colors. The Old English style logo feels more baseball to me, so I hope they'll continue to evolve their logos.

Dragons: Sharp color scheme. Red and gold always looks good, and it looks great here. I think the helmet logo version would look better outlined in white.

Racers: Super unique color scheme, especially for a team named Racers, but it works.

Bulls: Best-looking uniforms in the league. Nice color scheme. I really want to love this team but the logo falls flat for me. It needs more going on with it. The angle really threw me off. I think it needs to be rotated back about 30-45 degrees. Right now without a body it just looks like it's tipping over, imo. 

Lumberjacks: The home set is fantastic. I think the two colors are too similar though, one needs to be lightened/brightened for better balance, evidenced by the sleeve stripes on the away set. I like the logo and identity though.

Good start to the league. I'll probably support the Knights in these early days.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/01/2020 2:57 pm  #42

Rugrat wrote:

Let's go Gatekeepers! I would have a sig if you can do that

ThisIsFine wrote:

Just when I thought you weren’t going to post anything today, Dire.
Also, call me a Keepers fan for now!

One 'Keepers sig coming right up! 

Stickman wrote:

Racers: I like this one!  Garnet and black is a new idea for a color combo, and it works here pretty well!  Great color balancing (I know I bring that point up a lot, but it is important for football jerseys I feel), the logo is simple, but effective. Good job here!

Bulls: I'll admit, the logo isn't my favorite.  I know it's a bull head that's in position to charge soon, but something just isn't working there.  It could be the bull head's angle, or because of the really good use of stripe outlines in the rest of the jersey makes the logo (which has no outline) feels more flat. An outline might help there.  But that jersey is a great one.  The color combo is excellent, and the white outlines in the striping makes the overall design pop a lot!  In fact, despite the logo, the Bulls nearly became my favorite team.  At least until...

Lumberjacks: I saw this.  This is my favorite team in the EFL (Escalian Football League),  I love this team.   Great color combo, (and the usage is nice!), logo is nice.  Overall, this reminds me of Docta C's Cleveland Lumberjacks team, (my first favorite team on this website, which means this is a good thing).  Curious if that team had any influence in the Norfolk Lumberjacks design.  Awesome job here!

Always appreciate the feedback Stick! The Bulls were the hardest team for make logo-wise, as it was a challenge for me to make a passable animal logo. I'll guess that'll be at the top of my list for things to redo. As for the uniforms, I based them on the Jim Brown era Syracuse uniforms, and I wanted to add more orange into the jerseys. As for the 'Jacks, they are based on the Cleveland 'Jacks. They were also my favorite team (before Chicago came along), and thought adding brown would spice it up and improve it even more. Here's a Norfolk sig if you want it! 

Steelman wrote:

Owls: Cool team. I think it'd be better off without the helmet stripe as they're too similar of colors. The Old English style logo feels more baseball to me, so I hope they'll continue to evolve their logos.

Dragons: Sharp color scheme. Red and gold always looks good, and it looks great here. I think the helmet logo version would look better outlined in white.

Racers: Super unique color scheme, especially for a team named Racers, but it works.

Bulls: Best-looking uniforms in the league. Nice color scheme. I really want to love this team but the logo falls flat for me. It needs more going on with it. The angle really threw me off. I think it needs to be rotated back about 30-45 degrees. Right now without a body it just looks like it's tipping over, imo. 

Lumberjacks: The home set is fantastic. I think the two colors are too similar though, one needs to be lightened/brightened for better balance, evidenced by the sleeve stripes on the away set. I like the logo and identity though.

Good start to the league. I'll probably support the Knights in these early days.

I'll probably take a crack at an owl logo for the Owls once they're set for an update, as well as factoring in the main critique of the helmet stripe getting lost. The Dragons and 'Jacks will also get a minor fix in the coming years, with the Dragons fixing their helmet and their shoulder stripes (since I think Augusta's turned out better imo) and the 'Jacks slightly adjusting the colors for better contrast. For Augusta, they're now the top team for a logo redo, since they almost have the perfect set as it seems. 

Thanks for the feedback Steel! And here's a Knights sig if you want it! 

The 1960 season will either be up sometime today or tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

6/01/2020 3:04 pm  #43

Now that I've gotten all 8 looks, I think the Mariners are going to be team.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/01/2020 3:05 pm  #44

Thanks for the sig bro! Let's hope we can start with a bang

6/02/2020 12:35 pm  #45

The inaugural Escalian Football League game kicked off on 20 August 1960 with a game between the Duvall Dragons and Adelaide Owls at National Stadium in Adelaide. The Owls slaughtered the struggling Dragons squad 33-6 in front of nearly 42,000 eager fans, proving that the fledgling league has great potential.
 Predictably, the Owls dominated the league, having a winning record against every team except for the Lumberjacks, posting a 0-1-1 record against them. A trade with the struggling Mariners in week 5 brought star LB Phillip Keyes to bolster the defense in exchange for a first and a third round pick in the inaugural rookie draft the next season. The ‘Jacks were the surprise of the season, being carried by the legs of rookie RB Eddy Belmont, who easily won the first Most Valuable Player award as well as taking the Most Outstanding Rookie award by default. Augusta failed to get anything going, falling flat on their faces, though they did show flashes of potential this year. Duvall placed where they were predicted to fall, squarely in last place.  In the North Division, everything went against the predictions. Instead of Hadley and Ellesby being the one-two of the division, Hadley struggled out of the gate with QB Jack Reuter and WR Lambert Hollman being injured within the first few weeks and unable to improve after they came back, and Ellesby’s defense was a shell of its former self, trading away Keyes for draft stock and achieving a mediocre 5-5 record. In their place, Orcaster and Kierport took charge of the division. The Racers' chemistry didn’t die off with the shift in leagues, and RB Amaro Zimmerman had his best season since his sophomore outing. Kierport’s unique option playstyle with RB Derrick Acker and QB Paul Dane helped them to rise above the falling teams in their division.

Awards:
Most Valuable Player: RB Eddy Belmont (NOR)
Most Outstanding Offensive Player: RB Amaro Zimmerman (ORC)
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: LB Phillip Keyes (ADL/ELB)
Most Outstanding Rookie: RB Eddy Belmont (NOR)
Most Outstanding Coach: Emil Haden (NOR)

Playoff Preview:

Kierport Knights @ Orcaster Racers

These two teams split their head to head record, so whoever wins is up in the air. Will it be the Knights’ option duo of Dane and Acker? Or will it be the well-roundedness of the Racers that brings them to the first Escalian Cup?
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Kierport will trample Orcaster's defense with their one-two punch 28-7 KIE

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Adelaide Owls

Although the ‘Jacks swept the Owls this season, those were without the acquisition of Phillip Keyes, who has taken over as the leader on the defense after lackluster production in Ellesby. Will the Rogues of Sherwood stop the rookie phenom of Belmont? Or will he run over them like past contests?
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: With the addition of Keyes, Adelaide will finally come out on top in a close fought game. 24-16 ADL

6/02/2020 3:34 pm  #46

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined
-Me seeing how the keepers preformed this year

6/03/2020 3:27 pm  #47

Kierport Knights @ Orcaster Racers
These two teams who were in a dogfight the whole year got to settle their terms with a punched ticket to the first ever championship game, and their veracity showed early.  In the first quarter, the two teams went three and out after three and out for half of the quarter. It was only after ORC K Art Landau nailed a 51 yard field goal did the momentum begin to pick up. Immediately after Orcaster’s drive, Kierport mounted a journey to the endzone on the legs of RB Derrick Acker, ending the first quarter ahead of the Racers.
END OF Q1: 7-3 KIE

The momentum the Knights gained in the first carried over into the second, scoring another touchdown on their next drive. Orcaster seemed to still be on the starting block, not reaching the end zone for the entire half, but Landau did land another two field goals to make the game 10-9. Before the half ended, Kierport launched a two minute drill to score a touchdown, on a spectacular 34 yard run by QB Paul Dane.
END OF Q2: 17-9 KIE

It only took a half, but once the second half kickoff reached the hands of ORC S Bennett Saunders, the Racers took the green flag of the race. On the kickoff, Saunders caught the ball at the 19 yard line, found an opening, and found his way to the 11 before being taken down. Unfortunately, that drive would only result in a field goal, but the surge in motivation helped the defense stop the two headed monster of Acker and QB Paul Dane of the Knights. A few drives later, the Racers found their way to the end zone for the first time in the game, a short run in by RB Amaro Zimmerman.
END OF Q3: 20-19 KIE

The fourth quarter would be a grudge match to see who would come out ahead. A defensive battle ensued: neither team wanted to give up a single inch. The only score so far  would be a field goal for the Knights midway through the quarter to make the game 23-19. The defensive battle continued, until a key turnover caused by ORC star DB Devon Augustine with 3:35 left in the game. On the play, Dane attempted to hand the ball off to Acker, but a miscue caused the handoff to be botched, with Augustine (who was moving with a blitz on the outside) pouncing on the loose ball at Kierport’s 37. In an epic turn of events, the next play saw Zimmerman take the handoff, and run 63 yards for the go-ahead touchdown. Orcaster would hold on to their lead, and advance to the championship game.
FINAL: 26-23 ORC

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Adelaide Owls

Most experts predicted that this game would either be NOR RB Eddy Belmont running over Adelaide’s defense, or a low scoring game with no clear victor. The first quarter made it seem like the latter would happen, as Belmont could not find the openings like he normally could, and the ‘Jacks only managed to score a single field goal while keeping the Owls shutout for the quarter.
END OF Q1: 3-0 NOR

The teams traded punt after punt for most of the quarter, until a crucial turning point with 5:46 left in the half. On that play, Belmont took a handoff to the inside, only for ADL DT Al Berry to break free from blocker and stop him in his tracks, tackling him so hard that Belmont fumbled the ball, for LB Phillip Keyes to recover for a touchdown (the Owls would miss the PAT though). Unfortunately for the ‘Jacks, Belmont suffered a hip injury on the play that sidelined him for the rest of the game. 
END OF Q2: 6-3 ADL
When the second half came, Adelaide stepped on the gas while Norfolk couldn’t restart their engines with the lack of their star player. The Owls’ offense finally got some production, finding the endzone for the first time in the game with a stellar 29 yard pass from QB Jeff Watson to WR Ray Rowe. The ‘Jacks could only manage a field goal as their offense could not keep up their past production.
END OF Q3: 13-6 ADL
The final quarter was nothing special. Neither offense could get anything going, as the Rogues of Sherwood shut down the ‘Jacks, while Norfolk limited the Owls to only 2 field goals. As the final seconds counted down, the Owls swarmed the field to celebrate their birth in the championship game
FINAL: 19-6 ADL

Championship Preview:

Orcaster Racers @ Adelaide Owls

At last, the day has come. On one hand, we have the well-rounded, dark horse contender of Orcaster. At the beginning of the season, most predicted that the Racers would sit at the bottom of the North Division with their lost chemistry, but they found the lost magic to sit one win away from the title. On the other hand, we have the juggernaut Adelaide Owls. Defeating their one true foe in convincing fashion, they will fight tooth and nail to become Escalia’s first professional football champion.
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Although this match may seem to be lopsided in Adelaide’s favor, this game will be a close fight, with Adelaide coming ahead. 17-14 ADL

6/03/2020 3:37 pm  #48

Orcaster Lets Go! 

6/04/2020 1:43 am  #49

I wasn't expecting the Knights to do so well, so that was nice but definitely disappointing to fall just short in the playoffs. Nice work on the season and playoff graphics and write-ups.

I really like your usage of jersey numbers to also indicate the score. Nice touch that I don't recall seeing before.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/04/2020 6:26 pm  #50

Steelman wrote:

I wasn't expecting the Knights to do so well, so that was nice but definitely disappointing to fall just short in the playoffs. Nice work on the season and playoff graphics and write-ups.

I really like your usage of jersey numbers to also indicate the score. Nice touch that I don't recall seeing before.

They also caught me off guard on how well they did, since at the start they were tied for the lowest overall out of all the teams. I have the next couple of seasons already simulated, so I think you'll like how the Knights will do ;)

Anyway, here's the championship game!
Before the championship game had begun, people questioned what exactly it would be called, since the league didn’t provide any info on what it would be called. For now, it was the “Inaugural Escalian Football Championship Game”, with the winners receiving the Escalian Cup. National Stadium in Adelaide was sold out with 50,525 fans, eager to see one of two teams raise the trophy and become champions. The Racers’ defense stepped after the Semi-Final game, and stopped Adelaide on their first possession, while not getting much done themselves. Orcaster would get the first points on the board, with a field goal by K Art Landau. Adelaide would find themselves driving down field, but could not get any other points besides a K Ben Conner field goal late in the first.
END OF Q1: 3-3 TIE
The defensive battle continued into the second. Adelaide made another field goal after missing their second attempt. The Racers, with the two headed rushing attack of Amaro Zimmerman and Gabriel Sydney, made ground and finally scored their first touchdown off a 5 yard rush by Sydney. Although momentum began to shift towards the Owl’s favor off an INT by LB Phillip Keyes, they never got any points out of it, running out of time in the half
END OF Q2: 10-6 ORC

When the second half began, Orcaster received the ball, and the team began to march to the endzone. A short slant pass by QB Jeremy Hunt was intended to hit WR Keir Meier, but instead ended up in the hands of Adelaide’s Keyes, who ran back for a pick-six. Unfortunately for the Owls, their offense still was back on the starting block, but luckily the Racers’ offense was as well as they could not recover after the interception and was held scoreless in the third
END OF Q3: 13-10 ADL

Orcaster made up for the lack of points in the third quarter by scoring a field goal shortly after the beginning of the quarter. Adelaide immediately drove down the field to score and go ahead, resulting in another field goal made by either side. The Racers, with 4:16 left in the game, made no haste with the lack of time, and made it to their 10 yard line with less than a minute left in the game. Gabriel Sydney took a handoff towards the left hash, and it looked like the Racers would upset the dominant Owls. As Sydney was diving to reach the endzone, Adelaide DB Ron Breckinridge punched the ball out of his hands, with Keyes coming out with the ball in the massive scrum. The Racers’ hearts were broken as the final seconds wound down for Adelaide to win the first ever Escalian Cup.
FINAL: 16-13 ADL

Phillip Keyes was awarded the first Most Valuable Player award for his two interceptions, touchdown, and key fumble recovery late in the game. “I never expected to get this far with my new team” Keyes said in a post-game interview, “even though I got here midseason, I still made sure that I would leave my mark. And it shows that I’ve made that mark with this win!” 

Board footera