Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2020 2:41 pm  #51

Re: The National Association of Professional Football Clubs

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the initial post. It is Red Grange. t's not so much that I was looking to use him as it is that his photo was just the highest-quality image of the entire body of an era-appropriate player that I could find.

I like this

5/15/2020 5:45 pm  #52

Detroit Robins

History: The team began amateur play in 1880 as a recreational team for employees of the Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Railroad. They went pro in 1899, but in 1903 turned control of the team over to team captain Alexander Quimby. Despite ending their official ties, the company and club do maintain a strong relationship. Quimby himself is a manager at DM&T, and many of the players that he signs work there in the offseason.

Leadership: Quimby has a good eye for talent, and tailback Oliver Andrews is an excellent coach.

Key Players: John White, though only 25 years old, may be the league’s best tackle, and is especially effective as a blocker.

Outlook: Despite the skill of Quimby at identifying talent, the leadership provided by Andrews, and the talent of White; the Robins figure to be middle of the pack at best. Unlike most teams, they aren’t backed by a significant source of wealth, so they struggle to attract top-tier talent, unless everyone else overlooks a player (as was the case with White).

Nickname: The team was originally named Detroit DM&T, but Quimby changed the name to the Robins, after the state bird, upon assuming control of the team.

Uniform: Bright red jerseys and socks with thin white strips on the sleeves.

Erie Lakers

History: Fifteen-year old Wolfgang Viktor Holtz came to the United States in 1861, and lied about his age to join the Union army.  He served with distinction, ultimately rising to the rank of captain. At the end of the war, he settled in Erie, Pennsylvania and opened Holtz Brewery. An enthusiastic athlete, he put together recreational teams in every sport he could think of, and by 1890, their football team dominated the local amateur circuit. He began paying his players in 1893, and the team has consistently been one of the best in the country.

Leadership: In addition to strong financial support from Holtz, the team has a brilliant coach in wingback John Luckner. The two have been together since 1910, and as long as they’re both there, Erie should be competitive. Prospective players know that Holtz will pay well and that Luckner will supply a winning gameplan, which helps with recruiting.

Key Players: It doesn’t seem fair, but the team with arguably the best owner and the best coach also has the main who is inarguably the best player. Tailback Francis Jacobs is so quick he seems to vanish when defenders manage to get a hand on him. Of course, to get to him defenders have to get through his former teammate at Carlisle Indian School, blocking back Jim Titus (who is probably the league’s best at his position).

Outlook: This team is far and away the favorite. Since Jacobs and Titus signed on two years ago, they have gone 19-1-3.

Nickname: The Lakers name is new this year. The team has always been called the Brewers, but after the 18th Amendment was ratified in January of 1919, it no longer seemed appropriate. Holtz’s brewery has been converted to produce ice cream, though there are persistent rumors that he continues to brew beer and runs a speakeasy. Not liking the sound of Ice Creamers, Holtz chose to call the team the Lakers after the body of water that shares the city’s name.

Uniform: Blue with vertical stripes on the chest and thin horizontal ones on the sleeves and socks. Holtz thinks that the uniforms look like the sun shining on the lake.  Nobody else agrees with him.

I like this

5/15/2020 7:06 pm  #53

I was a big fan of the Robins' look with the sleeve stripes. Then I saw the Lakers with the sleeve, chest AND sock stripes and I love that look. I'm glad I picked the Lakers as my favorite team. Here's hoping they can survive until another team I like joins the league (I'll always be partial to the Minnesota [nee Providence] Angels and Kansas City Crows).

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/16/2020 1:13 am  #54

Being a Pennsylvanian myself I was hoping that Erie would be my favorite team In the league. After reading the excellent backstory on the team I can confirm they are my favorite team now.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

5/16/2020 5:55 am  #55

Cleveland Athletics: That logo certainly does give them an old time feel!  The jersey is pretty decent for the time frame too!  Probably the most detailed logo and jersey so far!

Detroit Robins: It doesn't sounds like they'll be around very long, but they are a nice enough looking team at least!

Erie Lakers: I like this look!  If you look at it kinda hard, (and know what it's supposed to look like beforehand), you can definitely see where the sun shining off the lake design comes through in the design.... sort of.  As this is probably the first example of a team trying to put an artsy meaning behind a design choice, I can get behind this team for sure!

5/16/2020 9:09 am  #56

Both Detroit and Erie look great keep it up

5/16/2020 11:55 am  #57

Both the Lakers and Robins look great! Lakers have maybe the best backstory of any team so far, I might even call them the Ice Creamers from time to time just for the fun of it.

5/16/2020 1:13 pm  #58

Both Detroit and Erie look pretty solid, I must admit! Although assuming my math is correct, the Lakers’ owner was born in 1846 and is currently 73 years old, I think? One would have to wonder if Erie can survive whenever he passes away. I also recognize John Luckner as having owned the Cleveland Ghosts back in the AFA, so it’s cool to see some characters from that old league be used here. Looking forward to the next team!

Last edited by Slapshot Kirby (5/16/2020 1:13 pm)

5/17/2020 8:17 am  #59

Gary Broadways

History: The Gary Works steel mill opened in 1908, and first fielded a football team in 1910. They went professional two years later, and still lure players to the team with offers of well-paying work in the steel mill during the offseason.

Leadership: Plant manager Theodore Dooley technically runs the team, though in reality that falls to center Harry McGee (making him the only black coach in the league).

Key Players: McGee has been the team’s star player since 1910, but he’s never had much help. The team does have some hope in two rookies, however. End Foy Langevin, an end from Army is set begin his career this season after returning a tour of duty in France during the war, and former Purdue tailback Ned Wroblewski will ensure that this is the most talented team that McGee has ever led.

Outlook: When your hopes are pinned on a steelworker in his 10th year in the league and a pair of rookies, one of whom hasn’t played organized ball in three years, you don’t expect to compete for a title this season.

Nickname: Gary Works is located at the northern end of Broadway, which is the city’s main street. The team’s stadium is also on Broadway, just south of the mill.

Uniform: A red and white striped rugby style sweater.

Grand Rapids De Villes

History: Henri De Ville is one of football’s original fans. In 1869, at the age of seven, his father (a groundskeeper at Rutgers College), took him to watch the Queensmen square off against the New Jersey Tigers in what is considered to be the first American football game. His father was killed in a tragic accident a few weeks later, and young Henri came to love the game as it was one of his last, treasured memories with his father. He would eventually move to Grand Rapids and establish a successful furniture manufacturing company. He organized a sandlot football league in Western Michigan in 1908, and began paying to attract more talented players the next year.

Leadership: T James Walker is the first professional player that De Ville signed, and he is still with the team, serving as captain and coach.

Key Players: In something of a surprise, Lucky Christensen (HB – Pitt), rejected a contract offer from Erie, instead signing with De Ville. He’ll be perhaps the fastest player in the league, and playing behind Walker, should make Grand Rapids dangerous on both sides of the ball.

Outlook: This is the best team that the De Villes have ever had. They’re likely the best team in Michigan, but it’s not clear that they’ll be able to beat out Erie and the Chicago All-Stars.

Nickname: De Ville loves football, but the team is still technically an ad for his company.

Logo: The company has an art deco-style logo that says De Ville Furniture Company. The team just adds the words “Football Team” below it.

Uniform: Green and cream, with striped sleeves and “De Ville” across the chest.

I like this

5/17/2020 8:20 am  #60

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

Both Detroit and Erie look pretty solid, I must admit! Although assuming my math is correct, the Lakers’ owner was born in 1846 and is currently 73 years old, I think? One would have to wonder if Erie can survive whenever he passes away. I also recognize John Luckner as having owned the Cleveland Ghosts back in the AFA, so it’s cool to see some characters from that old league be used here. Looking forward to the next team!

Good catch on Luckner. I thought that he was such a minor character that nobody would remember him. Another (more prominent) AFA owner will enter the league as a player within the next few years, and I thought that some might remember him, but I thought I was safe with Luckner.

And you're right - Holtz is by far the oldest person assiciated with the league. Life expectancy in the era was low to mid 50s (it was a bit higher than that for people who reached adulthood - high childhood and infant mortality deflated the number somewhat). Holtz still seems to be in good health, but it's not unreasonable to wonder what will happen when his time comes. He had two sons, one of which is involved with the family business (but not the football team) and the other is a successful sculptor living in Los Angeles, whose only involvement with the league is that he designed the championship trophy. It isn't at all clear what will happen.

Last edited by Veras (5/17/2020 8:30 am)

I like this

Board footera