Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2020 9:14 am  #41

Re: The National Association of Professional Football Clubs

Chicago All-Stars:  I'd imagine they'd reboot at some point name-wise, (maybe to the Butchers?) but visually they're my favorite so far!  That little star adds a nice touch!  I also like detail of noting the Spiders' baseball team.  It really fleshes the sports world out! I still remember that you had a Baltimore Bishops baseball team at one point from the other website.  Kinda made me wonder what other baseball teams existed at this team in your world?

Chicago Bulldogs:  I like the idea of 2 Bulldogs, (the early NFL ran into this too with multiple teams having the same name, which I'm assuming is where you got the idea from).  Being unorganized as they are, I'm betting they don't make it long.

5/13/2020 10:13 am  #42

I did use the name Bulldogs twice because that happened a lot in early sports leagues (and not just the NFL - the Negro Leagues consistently had two or three teams called the Giants). What I didn't do intentionally, and didn't think through is that there are two Bulldogs and two Chicagos, which makes writing a pain. I can't just say Chicago because I could be referring to the All-Stars. I can't just say Bulldogs because I could be referring to Bay City. I didn't think that through.

As to baseball in this universe - think of it like playing a video game where the map is blacked out until you explore an area. I only know broad outlines - the Chicago Spiders, Cleveland Athletics, and Baltimore Bishops existed at some point.  Pro baseball is referred to as the United Leagues, and includes promotion and relegation. Other than that, things are mostly fuzzy unless I need to pull something in for football.

I like this

5/14/2020 8:13 am  #43

Another thing: when I click on Detroit's uniform, I don't get an expanded image. I get a small PNG image. I apologize if I keep reminding you about these blog mistakes. It's great to have you back making concepts, and I think you're one of the best.

5/14/2020 9:52 am  #44

Oh, don't apologize, I appreciate it. I have absolutely no idea why that was happening for Detroit. The actual PNG that I uploaded was somehow smaller than all of the others, so it was showing at its original size already. I don't know how that's possible, since all of the uniforms are on a template and are the exact same size on my computer. Either way, I think I've fixed it.

Anyway, here are the Cleveland Athletics:

History: The Cleveland Athletic Club was formed in 1869, and fields teams in a dozen different sports. Their baseball team began paying players in 1888, and the football team followed suit 20 years later.

Leadership: Kieran McManus was one of the greatest athletes of the early 1900s. He competed in the 1908 Olympics as a sprinter and fencer, and starred as a back in football, a shortstop in baseball, and a guard in basketball. However, after volunteering for the Army when the United States entered WWI, he was involved in an accident during a training exercise with mustard gas, which left his face and lungs badly scarred. Though he can no longer play, he is still widely respected, and at just 32 years old, can expect to serve as president of the Athletic Club for as long as he likes.

Key Players: The Athletics are led by C Jim Lira and FB Amos Bowden.

Outlook: Bowden and Lira are both excellent blockers, but neither have had anyone of note to block for since McManus went to war. This team could land in the cellar.

Nickname: This one is fairly self-explanatory. The Athletics represent the Cleveland Athletic Club.

Logo: All of the Athletic Club’s teams use a roundel with the organization’s name and 1869 around the outside and an illustration depicting a man playing the sport in question in the middle. The wood grain background in the circle is based on the Philadelphia Phillies 1915 logo. The textureitself is by german-popsicle on DeviantArt.

Uniform: Maroon with a broad horizontal gold stripe and a large C on the chest, the Athletics have one of the most colorful looks in the league.

I like this

5/14/2020 10:19 am  #45

I think the Athletics are my favorite look so far, great job with the logo, it looks great.

5/14/2020 10:43 am  #46

Fantastic Logo for the Athletics!!

5/14/2020 12:17 pm  #47

Amazing logo for the Athletics.

5/14/2020 12:23 pm  #48

Great Logo for the Cleveland Athletics! Very excited about this series, hopefully we can see the Firebirds and Dragons return at some point in the 60s through 90s

5/14/2020 1:19 pm  #49

Veras, you may remember me on the CCSLC as BengalSteve, but I was a huge reader of the AFA, and I want to give you a deep, heartfelt welcome to Alternate History Sports! As for this new league of sorts, it’s shaping up to be very good so far! My favorite uniforms so far would have to be the Chicago All-Stars, although the Cleveland Athletics have the best logo IMO.

I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the teams and how the NAPFC plays out!

5/14/2020 2:13 pm  #50

Who is the player in the athletics logo based on?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

Board footera