Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2020 7:25 pm  #101

Re: The National Association of Professional Football Clubs

Veras wrote:

Sorry I was gone so long. I started a new position at work a couple months ago, and they only just filled my old position on Friday, so I've been doing two jobs. Between that and the fact that the world caught fire, I just haven't had the energy lately.

Also, I just realized how hard it is to read the standings. I'll fix that when I have the time.

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

National Association of Professional Football Clubs (NAPFC)

Will this be the permanent name of the league or will you be following the example of the NFL which started out as the American Professional Football Association.

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Does this mean anyone of us can submit a character and team for review?

The name will definitely change, but Dan guessed it correctly - I'm not looking for suggestions right now, but once the league stabilizes, there will be expansion councils.

I was mainly wondering about single season teams. The NFL had quite a few of them, some who fold at the end of the season, others that are disbanded, and a few who even completed a full season.

On an unrelated note I'm glad the Robins had a winning season.

Last edited by Nick_crenshaw82 (6/15/2020 7:28 pm)

6/15/2020 9:39 pm  #102

I don't know if I mentioned this before but I love the fact that the teams don't all have remotely similar schedules. From the Broadways only playing 2 games to the Lakers and Glads fighting over strength of schedule. All of its great and it was a super good read. I still don't think I'm going to make any alliances yet, especially with the instability of all the teams, as seen by the Broadways probably folding after only 1 season. I wonder what expansion franchises or relocations we'll see, 16 applications is an awful lot, but I know the NFL was up to around that many back in the day too. I'm excited to see what next season has to bring!

The trophy looks great as well, your skills really have improved, even from just a year ago.

(Speaking of just a year ago, did you ever get that Rebels design done, you said you'd try to get it done before the site went down but it never came, if you don't have it don't worry, I was just curious )

6/15/2020 9:42 pm  #103

I finished the Rebels design in probably February or March of 2018. It had been ready to go for a long time. The only reason that I didn’t post it is that they moved the shutdown forward and I didn’t want to end the thread mod-conversation.

I like this

6/15/2020 10:12 pm  #104

Not a bad start to the first season! The disparity in games played and the fight over who is the champion reminds me of the old days of the NFL (or at least reading about it). The 16 teams wanting to enter the league seems like a lot, but in context of the NFL in its second season saw the league jump from 14 to 21 teams (IIRC), so I guess it's not too far off from reality.

Can't wait to see how the league develops! (and who becomes the Butchers, since I'll gladly support them through their mediocrity again if it comes to it)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

6/15/2020 10:16 pm  #105

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the eventual butterflies that'll begin to happen. You had mentioned that in the old thread that Richmond was supposed to stick around longer, The Angels were supposed to go to Miami..I'm super intrigued to see what differences we might create in this new world. Plus who knows, maybe the Expansion Councils go differently as well. 

6/16/2020 7:10 am  #106

Stickman wrote:

Great start to the new league!  Can't wait to see how this Lakers/Gladiators rivalry gets going in the championship game!  Definitely rooting for the Gladiators here!

Those two teams do seem to be kicking off a strong rivalry, but the Thanksgiving Game isn't really a championship. The Lakers are league champions this year by virtue of having the highest winning percentage. That game will take place next year.

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

National Association of Professional Football Clubs (NAPFC)

Will this be the permanent name of the league or will you be following the example of the NFL which started out as the American Professional Football Association.

The name will definitely change, but Dan guessed it correctly - I'm not looking for suggestions right now, but once the league stabilizes, there will be expansion councils.

I was mainly wondering about single season teams. The NFL had quite a few of them, some who fold at the end of the season, others that are disbanded, and a few who even completed a full season.

On an unrelated note I'm glad the Robins had a winning season.

Even with the one-off teams, I'm not looking for submissions. The expansion councils will start earlier than they did in the CCSL project, but it will still probably be 25 years at least.

DireBear wrote:

Not a bad start to the first season! The disparity in games played and the fight over who is the champion reminds me of the old days of the NFL (or at least reading about it). The 16 teams wanting to enter the league seems like a lot, but in context of the NFL in its second season saw the league jump from 14 to 21 teams (IIRC), so I guess it's not too far off from reality.

Can't wait to see how the league develops! (and who becomes the Butchers, since I'll gladly support them through their mediocrity again if it comes to it)

To be clear, not all 16 will join. Some will back out or fail to pay the entry fee.

Darknes wrote:

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the eventual butterflies that'll begin to happen. You had mentioned that in the old thread that Richmond was supposed to stick around longer, The Angels were supposed to go to Miami..I'm super intrigued to see what differences we might create in this new world. Plus who knows, maybe the Expansion Councils go differently as well. 

I won't say who, but there is one late expansion team that I hope joins much earlier. I had a fauxback logo for them that I was going to use for the 1995 season (which would have been the AFA's 50th), and I'd love to use it for real in this timeline.

I like this

6/16/2020 7:16 pm  #107

Veras wrote:

Darknes wrote:

I won't say who, but there is one late expansion team that I hope joins much earlier. I had a fauxback logo for them that I was going to use for the 1995 season (which would have been the AFA's 50th), and I'd love to use it for real in this timeline.

Now you've got me thinking on who that might be

6/16/2020 8:53 pm  #108

I’ll take a stab at it. Is it the Crows?

6/17/2020 8:39 am  #109

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Still my favorite team I suggested a name for.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/19/2020 7:19 pm  #110

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Darknes wrote:

Now you've got me thinking on who that might be

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Still my favorite team I suggested a name for.

That ended up being one of my favorite identities in the league. In all honestly, the only reason that I don't plan on using it for an early team is that I really liked the KC logo, which I couldn't use if I put them in another city.

I like this

Board footera