Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2020 9:23 pm  #91

Re: The National Association of Professional Football Clubs

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Veras wrote:

I'm not going to lie, I probably overdo the research a little. When I made that post I had 17 browser tabs open (including the one for the forum), plus an Excel spreadsheet that I used to calculate the scoring stats and some paper diagrams that I've sketched of the changing shape of the ball over time. It's okay though, because I use Tabs for a Cause, so I can tell myself that I'm vortexing on whatever random topic has my interest on any given day for charity.

As for the ball being spotted near the sideline - it's definitely pretty funny looking. [url=http://fieldsoffriendlystrife.com/2018/02/09/football-became-football-history-hash-marks/#:~:text=The%20NFL%2C%20which%20followed%20the,marks%20for%20the%201933%20season.&text=The%20first%20hash%20marks%20consisted,stripes%20intersecting%20each%20yard%20line.]Here is an article explaining the evolution of hash marks that includes a couple good images of it[/url].

Honestly though, overresearching is a good thing, as it can clear up things sometimes. I always appreciate anyone who takes time to research and make a fantasy sports league accurate. You’ve always gone above and beyond, and that’s what makes you one of if not the best of them.

I second this. It's impressive the level of detail you went with the AFA, it makes it feel completely real to a level that nobody else can reach. I'm sure you'll be able to hit that mark with this one as well, I'll be looking forward to it.

6/06/2020 10:05 pm  #92

I third this!  Don't ever think you're over-doing it, if you're doing that much research, it shows how much love of the game you have for football!  That's a good thing, man!

6/07/2020 6:28 am  #93

Hear hear! Well put!

Veras, if that's what you love to do with your leagues, helps you focus and stay at peace mentally, then do it. Do it for your sake even if you don't share any of it with us, and just people you know personally. If its what you love, then you do it.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

6/11/2020 10:56 pm  #94

Veras wrote:

National Association of Professional Football Clubs (NAPFC)

Will this be the permanent name of the league or will you be following the example of the NFL which started out as the American Professional Football Association.

6/11/2020 10:58 pm  #95

Veras wrote:

Yes, but probably not until after World War II. During the 20s and 30s things will be so unstable that there will be teams entering and exiting the league every year. Basically, if a team can pay the fee to enter the league, they’re welcome to join.

Does this mean anyone of us can submit a character and team for review?

6/12/2020 9:17 am  #96

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

Yes, but probably not until after World War II. During the 20s and 30s things will be so unstable that there will be teams entering and exiting the league every year. Basically, if a team can pay the fee to enter the league, they’re welcome to join.

Based on the way Veras ran his previous leagues, no. He may, in the future, ask us to create characters to be on an Expansion Council, and he may use one of those characters in his story. But the inclusion of our created characters is entirely on him.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/15/2020 6:58 pm  #97

The first game in NAPFT history took place on Sunday, September 28, 1919, when the Oakwood Park Rollers hosted the Ann Arbor Gladiators in Kalamazoo, MI. It wasn’t a particularly exciting game, ending in a 3-3 tie that was scoreless for the last three quarters, but nevertheless, a new league was born.

It didn’t take long for the season to get eventful, though perhaps not for the reason that anyone associated with the league had hoped. A week before opening day, the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers went on strike. This put the Gary Broadways in an awkward position, as the players were all steelworkers, and were paid to play football by their employer. They cancelled their season opener, which was scheduled for October 5th. The next day, a riot broke out in Gary that was so severe that the National Guard took over the city and declared martial law. In the chaos, Broadway Stadium burned to the ground.

The team would eventually play two games in Chicago in November – with the players making arrangements themselves to be paid from gate fees. They performed surprisingly well given the circumstances, narrowly losing to the Bulldogs and pulling off a stunning last-minute 10-7 upset of the All-Stars, but didn’t schedule any further games after U.S. Steel threatened a lawsuit.

In its inaugural year, the league proved to be highly uneven. The Erie Lakers absolutely dominated the competition, going 10-0-1 (with the lone tie coming in a 14-14 November matchup against the Toledo Twisters which several Lakers missed due to illnes). They led the league in scoring with 221 points and finished fourth in points against with 35. Individual player stats were not tracked, but it was widely believed that Francis Jacobs alone was responsible for more points than half the teams in the league.

There was some grumbling among Ann Arbor fans about the fact that their team played a much more difficult schedule than the Lakers. This was true – Erie played only two games against league opponents with winning records, one of which was their tie against Toledo. They then padded their record with four games against the bottom three ranked teams in the league (including two against winless Cleveland), and five non-league opponents, who are generally seen as weak competition – NAPFC teams went a total of 20-6-5 against non-league clubs. Overall, the Gladiators played 10 league games against opponents with a combined winning percentage of .570, while the Lakers played 6 opponents who combined to go .341. Lakers fans countered that, as the easternmost team in the league, travel expenses made it difficult for them to play more league games, and team owner W.V. Holtz denied intentionally setting an easy schedule.

At the year-end meeting, Ann Arbor’s Aldrich Carrington diffused the possibility of scandal and tension in the fledgling league by presenting the Kieran McManus trophy to Holtz. After the meeting, Holtz and Carrington jointly announced that their two clubs would face off in Ann Arbor on Thanksgiving Day in 1920.

With the first season in the books, it is clear that the NAPFT is here to stay. Sixteen teams have applied to join the league as the new decade dawns, though a few of the founding members, most obviously the Gary Broadways, are unlikely to return for the second year. Meanwhile, fans across the upper Midwest, particularly in Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo, are already dreaming of the chance to claim the crown.

Last edited by Veras (6/15/2020 7:01 pm)

I like this

6/15/2020 7:06 pm  #98

Sorry I was gone so long. I started a new position at work a couple months ago, and they only just filled my old position on Friday, so I've been doing two jobs. Between that and the fact that the world caught fire, I just haven't had the energy lately.

Also, I just realized how hard it is to read the standings. I'll fix that when I have the time.

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

National Association of Professional Football Clubs (NAPFC)

Will this be the permanent name of the league or will you be following the example of the NFL which started out as the American Professional Football Association.

Nick_crenshaw82 wrote:

Veras wrote:

The name will definitely change, but Dan guessed it correctly - I'm not looking for suggestions right now, but once the league stabilizes, there will be expansion councils.

I like this

6/15/2020 7:22 pm  #99

Great start to the new league!  Can't wait to see how this Lakers/Gladiators rivalry gets going in the championship game!  Definitely rooting for the Gladiators here!

6/15/2020 7:25 pm  #100

3rd place not a bad start Oakwood Park! Prediction game most of the teams don’t survive the Great Depression let alone WW2

Board footera