Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2020 3:18 pm  #61

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Burmy87 wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Per this post, it'll be 18 owners, so I assume 18 teams.

It only says there are 18 AltHL owners...I don't know if there'll be more, fewer or about the same number of AltFL ones (given the high demand, there may be the same or more)

I'm thinking 24, if I had to guess. Even number, easily divisible for use with divisions, can probably fit the demand.

And there's nothing saying that expansion won't be on the table in the future.

4/29/2020 3:20 pm  #62

Burmy87 wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Per this post, it'll be 18 owners, so I assume 18 teams.

It only says there are 18 AltHL owners...I don't know if there'll be more, fewer or about the same number of AltFL ones (given the high demand, there may be the same or more)

Holy poop! My reading comprehension isn't that great, apparently.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/29/2020 7:56 pm  #63

Time to check out the new AltFL! As you can see we are proceeding with 24 AltFL franchises.  We have had a great demand to be an owner in our new endeavor. I am officially closing the application process. I have a few strategies ready to go in order to accommodate that many franchises in one league. 

An interesting final day of voting jostled the final list.  Cities like Baltimore and Atlanta were knocked out in favor of a few late comers. I Hope you like the state of Texas.  Texas leads the way with three franchises.  They are followed by California, Florida and New York.  We are please to welcome an international franchise in Toronto.  Charlotte and Minneapolis made heroic last minute pushes to join the group.  9 of our cities do not currently play host to an NFL team.  10 of our cities are also home to AltHL teams.

The layout of our league leaves interesting possibilities for alignments.  If you would like to propose an alignment for our league please email the account - althockeyleague2020@gmail.com   We don't want to crowd up the board with proposals because we will be using it for other things.  Once we have a few proposals, I'll send them out to the group.  If there are a few submissions that are similar I will fold them together and give credit all of the creators.  

Next we begin the NAME THE TEAM process.  Like the AltHL I have broken the 24 cities down into four groups of 6.  We will go one group at a time with nominations.  Group A below will be open to nominations until Sunday.  At that point I will put all of the noms in our traditional polls.  I will also release the Group B cities and we will continue the process until we have names for all 24 teams.  

The Guidelines:
The rules for the naming process will be the same as for the AltHL.  But just in case you are new to this process here are some of the highlights.
1. No names of any teams in the NFL or CFL.  
2. No names of any teams within that market.  No football teams named the Pittsburgh Penguins.  But a team named the Portland Penguins are okay.
3. Same thing goes with college teams in the area of your team.
4. No AltHL team names
5. No IceHL team names in the same market.  Unlike the AltHL, you ARE ALLOWED to use one of their names as long as it is not the same market.  For example, they have a team named the Chicago Hitmen but you could nominate a team the Philadelphia Hitmen.  
6. DO NOT nominate a name that someone already has.  Use it as a blessing that you can nominate a second name.

Some Advice:
After the AltHL experience I noticed that the simpler names won out more often than not.  I know professional teams try to keep it to two or three syllables.  I also LOVE names that have deep meaning behind them but if it's TOO deep people are scared away.  The AltHL also denied all non-S names.  If you look at the NFL you'll notice most of the team names are pretty basic.  Keep in mind that this is football and team names are typically more aggressive than basketball or baseball.  Bears not Cubs for example.  Finally, I would avoid renominating your failed AltHL name unless it was close the first time around.  With all of that said, let your creativity flow.  I just wanted to share a few thoughts after looking back at how the voting shook out.  

So for now here are the six cities that are up for nomination.  Feel free to provide a short explanation for your team name nomination.  I am looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

4/29/2020 8:11 pm  #64

Birmingham Miners (honors the city's iron and coal mining heritage)
Boston Bullets (American Revolution reference, homage to the bullet pass)
Buffalo Bolts (the city's early embrace of electric power led it to be the City of Light)
Charlotte Monarchs (the city's nickname is the Queen City)
Chicago Hogs ("Hog Butcher of the World," as Carl Sandburg's poem called it)
Dallas Tycoons (home of numerous billionaires, many of whom are oil tycoons)

Last edited by Burmy87 (4/29/2020 8:34 pm)

4/29/2020 8:22 pm  #65

Birmingham Vulcans: The God of Industry and Steel for a hardworking town
Boston Masons: The Grand Lodge of Massachusetts is the 3rd oldest lodge of Freemasons in the world behind only England and Ireland
Buffalo Frost: Those Chilly Lake effect blizzards.
Charlotte Swarm: Reference to Charlotte's Nickname as the "Hornets' Nest"
Chicago Outfit: Obligatory Mob Reference, also the name of Al Capone's gang.
Dallas Posse: Old West style for Texas. 

Last edited by Darknes (4/29/2020 8:22 pm)

4/29/2020 8:23 pm  #66

Burmy87 wrote:

Birmingham Wizards (city's nickname is the Magic City)
Boston Bullets (American Revolution reference, homage to the bullet pass)
Buffalo Bolts (the city's early embrace of electric power led it to be the City of Light)
Charlotte Monarchs (the city's nickname is the Queen City)
Chicago Hogs ("Hog Butcher of the World," as Carl Sandburg's poem called it)
Dallas Tycoons (home of numerous billionaires, many of whom are oil tycoons)

I literally had Bolts before you posted and I'm a little worried about "Wizards" for Birmingham since that term has a little extra meaning in the Deep South.

4/29/2020 8:35 pm  #67

Darknes wrote:

I literally had Bolts before you posted and I'm a little worried about "Wizards" for Birmingham since that term has a little extra meaning in the Deep South.

Great minds think alike...and that had slipped my mind, so I changed my nomination.

4/29/2020 8:37 pm  #68

BY GOD, FROM THE TOP ROPES, IT'S CHARLOTTE WITH A STEEL CHAIR!!!!

What a surprise! The QC makes a last-minute push to steal a spot (where have I heard this story before?)!

Anyway, my name suggestions:

Birmingham - Hammers. The city is known for its steel- and ironworking, and both Steelers and Vulcans are taken.
Boston - Olympians. Taken after Boston's nickname of "Athens of America". (I am fully aware of the history behind this name and AHSports Fantasy, but I think it's ok here because the hockey team is the Titans and also in LA.)
Buffalo - Steamers. Steamboats were often found on Lake Erie, where Buffalo is.
Charlotte - Firebirds (I know this was my AltHL submission, but I love the name so much and it almost won). I'll explain this one in great detail below because it means a lot to me.
Chicago - Liners. Named for the L, Chicago's elevated transit system, which runs different colored lines. "The L's" could be a nickname (especially if the team is bad).
Dallas - Blazers. Dallas' heat is infamous around the country, but this also serves to reference the neon lights that blaze at night.

Firebirds (cont.) - For those that didn't see my explanation for the AltHL, Firebird is a statue found in Uptown Charlotte in front of the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, placed in 2009 as a permanent addition to the city. It's a very unique form, consisting of the bird itself placed atop an arch and covered in pieces of mirror and colored glass. It can be seen here:
(If you can't tell where the bird ends and the arch begins, don't worry, most people can't at first glance. You can see the bird's talons near the middle, the black bits connecting to the arch.)
The status has become somewhat of an icon for the city and its art scene as well as a must-see when visiting the Queen City. While I don't think the logo for a football should come from this form, I think the name is suitably fierce and local to make it the perfect name for Charlotte's AltFL franchise.

4/29/2020 8:45 pm  #69

Birmingham Magicians (The Magic City)
Boston Rebels (In reference to the American Revolution)
Buffalo Buffaloes (Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo)
Charlotte Griffins (The first plane flew in Kitty Hawk, NC. What animal is both a Kitty and a Hawk? A griffin!)
Chicago Tigers (A classy name for rust belt football)
Dallas Bandits (Lean into that old west theme a bit)

4/29/2020 9:07 pm  #70

Birmingham : Ingots (first step in steelmaking is an ingot, and Birmingham was a steel making town)

Boston : Leprechauns (ties into the Irish heritage of the city, could provide some unique looking logos)

Buffalo : Steelheads (The steelhead trout does live in Lake Erie)

Charlotte : Flyers (North Carolina is first in flight, and Flyers is a clean name that would be different than the AltHL Racers)

Chicago : Bulldogs (lets give Chicago, a classic Midwest City, a classic, albeit generic, name)

Dallas : Vandals (Bandits was taken, so a different take on the name)

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera