Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2020 5:43 pm  #371

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

As much as I am for changing to the Vice colors, wouldn't there still be 3 teams with teal?

5/18/2020 5:43 pm  #372

I like all the winners but Dallas might just be my favorite of them all. Hopefully they can fall back in the owner draft and i can swoop em up my alley

5/18/2020 6:27 pm  #373

ANDY! wrote:

As much as I am for changing to the Vice colors, wouldn't there still be 3 teams with teal?

to avoid that I went with more of an electric blue for Miami than a teal.  

5/18/2020 6:34 pm  #374

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I'm sorry but IMO Tennessee has the worst use of teal out of them all and should've been dropped change the eye to white an be done.

I totally get that, I wanted to have some other colour outside of just copper and black, so I chose teal because it goes nice with copper. Red wasn't really meant to be a part of the colour scheme outside of the tongue.

However, I am totally willing to change the colour, I would like to find a colour besides white if possible but worse case we could get a Saints-like look. 

I have experimented with a brighter more green colour, but I would love suggestions from the community!

And great designs all around, I found San Antonio the toughest to choose from. 

Last edited by Wallflower (5/18/2020 6:37 pm)

5/18/2020 7:19 pm  #375

ANDY! wrote:

That’s not teal. That’s light blue.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/18/2020 7:43 pm  #376

Wallflower wrote:

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I'm sorry but IMO Tennessee has the worst use of teal out of them all and should've been dropped change the eye to white an be done.

I totally get that, I wanted to have some other colour outside of just copper and black, so I chose teal because it goes nice with copper. Red wasn't really meant to be a part of the colour scheme outside of the tongue.

However, I am totally willing to change the colour, I would like to find a colour besides white if possible but worse case we could get a Saints-like look. 

I have experimented with a brighter more green colour, but I would love suggestions from the community!

I would love to see a version mocked up with green instead of teal, teal and copper work well, but I feel like green could work even better if you get the shades right.

5/18/2020 8:15 pm  #377

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Wallflower wrote:

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I would love to see a version mocked up with green instead of teal, teal and copper work well, but I feel like green could work even better if you get the shades right.

Personally, I like the colors for the Copperheads as they are.  I also had the idea of going copper and light blue/teal, as I agree those colors are gold together.  I think if we give that color combo a chance, the community will come up with an awesome way to work those color together, (though I agree copper and green also work well together).

Also, I REALLY don't think we should switch to the "Miami Vice" colors with the Hammerheads, just keep what won, that's what we voted for.  Changing the result now starts a precedent, one I don't think we really want to see.  You can always use blue instead of purple for its main color, or orange for the Galatics as its main color if having two purple teams in Florida is really that big of a problem.  

Finally 3 teams with teal is less of a problem than you think when you consider that at most only 1 of them will use it as a primary color. 

So basically, I'm suggesting we stick with the results we voted for, we'll find a way to make it all work out in the end.  Trust the community here.

5/18/2020 10:03 pm  #378

I mean, Vice colors look great and all, but i agree with Stickman on this. Keep what the people voted for. (Also my 100th post woo-hoo!)

5/19/2020 2:50 pm  #379

Some Important Items...

The Miami Hammerheads
As of today the Miami Hammerheads will officially adopt the Miami Vice color scheme.  I think that this is bold new look for our league.  I think that the colors will be really fun to work with in future creative projects.  I want to reiterate what I said yesterday in my initial post - this was a one time experience for the design process.  I felt that this situation was unique and merited at least the discussion.  While designing that submissions I was torn as to which color scheme to go with. While we can work around have a lot of teal and purple in the division, I think that the new color scheme can open our uniform makers to a world of diversity.  The idea of a second poll came from some of the feedback from the AltHL process as well as me trying to feel the pulse of the community.  I viewed the second poll as an extension of the first and not a revision of it.  The poll confirmed my suspicions and the Vice scheme won out.  

I appreciate Stickman et al voicing the dissent of this conversation.  I agree with each of his points.  That is why, again, to be clear all of the winning logos and uniforms that are designed are final.  Moving forward do not worry about it happening again and make the identity that is in your mind's eye.  With that matter settled, let's move on to two new and exciting AltFL items: The Schedule and The Uniforms.

The AltFL Schedule
Today I am not here to reveal the schedule but rather to explain it.  I realized I cannot explain our uniforms without explaining the schedule first. I have some fun things planned for the actual schedule release but that will come just after the owner and player drafts.  

Each AltFL team will play 13 games.  That is...
A.   5 games against division rivals.
B.   6 games against another division.  This is similar to the NFL approach.  For example, this year every team in the NORTH will play every team from the CENTRAL.  The SOUTH will play the WEST.  Those matchups will rotate annually.
C.   2 games against one team from each remaining division.  The first year it is random but next year it will be against the team that finished in the same standings position the previous year (how the NFL does it).  So if your team finished in third place - you will place the other two third place teams.

The schedule formula:
Week 1 - Division Game #1
Week 2 - Division Game #2
Week 3 - Inter Conference Game #1
Week 4 - Inter Conference Game #2
Week 5 - Inter Conference Game #3
Week 6 - Remaining Division Game #1
Week 7 - Remaining Division Game #2
Week 8 - Inter Conference Game #4
Week 9 - Inter Conference Game #5
Week 10 - Inter Conference Game #6
Week 11 - Division Game #3
Week 12 - Division Game #4
Week 13 - Division Game #5 / Rivalry Game

The Rivalry Game will be the only opponent that will stay the same from year to year.  I take this from that awesome weekend in college football in late November.  I determined the rivalries by geographic proximity and used existing sports rivalries as a guide.  It was actually quite easy to pair the teams up.  There were only two that didn't seem to fit perfectly BUT that will make them a genuine and unique rivalry.  Obviously rivalries will form with other teams, but Rivalry Week will always prove to be special. I kept the rivalries within the division for the sake of the schedule system.

Rivalry Week Opponents: (the game names are just for fun...the owners of the teams can decide what feels right)
-The Bambino Bowl : Boston Nightriders versus New York Emperors
-The Border War: Toronto Beavers versus Buffalo Bolts
-Philadelphia Brawlers versus Carolina Reapers
-The Lakeshore War: Chicago Cyclones versus Milwaukee Mallards
-Minnesota Voyageurs versus Kentucky Stallions
-The ShowMe Shootout: Kansas City Scarecrows versus St. Louis Explorers
-The Duel in Dixie: Tennessee Copperheads versus Birmingham Vulcans
-The Texas State Tussel: Dallas Bandits versus San Antonio Phantoms
-The Sunshine Showdown: Orlando Galactics versus Miami Hammerheads
-The SoCal Skirmish: San Diego Destroyers versus LA Saber-cats 
-The Sasquatch Rivalry: Portland Grizzlies versus Seattle Steelheads
-The Four Corner Throw Down: Utah Raptors versus Arizona Scorpions

Primetime Games
To spice up the regular season...every team will play in at least 2 primetime games throughout the season.  Every week (except Week 13 - Rivalry Week) will have a Sunday Night Football game on NBC, Monday Night Football Game on ESPN, 3 Thanksgiving Games during Week 12, and one Pantheon Game (our Hall of Fame Game).  

The Uniforms

When it comes to uniforms there is a spectrum.  On one end you have the NFL and their 'one helmet rule'.  Which is partly in place because of safety and also to protect consistency.  Traditional looks come with valuable brand equity.  Have you ever noticed that the good teams rarely change their uniforms but the bad teams are constantly switching? The drawback is that we miss out on some great throwback and alternate ideas.  

On the other end of spectrum are the Oregon Ducks who made 'changing uniforms' cool.  They have played with various colors, chrome helmets, HUGE numbers and are known for it.  They can do it because that is their brand.  Other CFB teams have tried to copy it in recent years. They do it to attract the impressionable young recruits. I'll admit they do come up with some pretty cool concepts.  My problem with it is that some of the biggest moments in recent years take place when teams don't 'look like themselves'.  

I believe that there is a good common ground. The AltFL will be more progressive than the NFL but a few steps short of Oregon.  

The Uniform Guidelines
- Teams will have a home (dark) an away (white) and an alternate (color rush).  
- Teams will have at most 2 helmets.  It could be two different designs or just a different colored version of the main helmet.  
-Teams will have at most 3 pants
- Owners will be in control of which uniforms they want to wear each week.  I envision weekly uniform reveals like teams do on social media these days.  So if you want to always wear White on White each away game then great.  Or you could do White on Red, White on White then White on Black for example.  Have fun with it.
-The Alternates can only be worn during primetime games.  I think it will be cool if we leave the alternates or color rush uniforms to be for special occasions.  

Uniform Submission Requirements
Here is a link with a number of 2D uniform templates.  If you have one you prefer to use, feel free to use it.  

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/94882-nike-hypercool-football-template-release/

- Home Uniform (Helmet, Jersey, Pants)
- Away Uniform (Helmet, Jersey, Pants)
- Color Rush Uniform (Helmet, Jersey, Pants)

*Owner can choose to mix and match helmets, jerseys and pants as they choose but just submit three uniforms and NOT every combination possible.

Send the submissions to the email account - althockeyleague2020@gmail.com 

Upcoming Due Dates:
Wednesday 5/20 - NORTH logos due
Saturday 5/23 - WEST logos due
Wednesday 5/27 - CENTRAL logos due
Saturday 5/30 - SOUTH uniforms due
Wednesday 6/3 - NORTH uniforms due
Saturday 6/6 - WEST uniforms due
Wednesday 6/10 - CENTRAL uniforms due
***Mid June - THE OWNER DRAFT

While the due dates are a little ways off, feel free to submit uniforms early so that you can do more of them.  

Last edited by Gritty (5/19/2020 2:52 pm)

5/19/2020 2:57 pm  #380

Is there a Drive or other file with each team's decided logos so we can design our unis based on them?

Board footera