Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2020 8:25 pm  #291

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

If it's alright I'd be interested in seeing the point totals for every owner and where everyone stands currently.
I know i have a few runner ups and a couple, potentially 3 depending on Orlando, names chosen.

That's a good idea. I'll post the points after I reveal the names.  I'll do that tomorrow morning! 

5/08/2020 8:45 pm  #292

Apparently, I'm good at picking names with an "Sc" start, as I got the Kansas City Scarecrows and the Arizona Scorpions 

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/08/2020 11:37 pm  #293

I think I've come to a realization: my names tend to do less well, in part, at least, because they're deeper cuts and aren't immediately obvious. So when people see something like "Los Angeles Links" and haven't read my explanation (or don't want to come through the forum again, totally understandable) they don't make the connection to the Internet or don't understand the connection. Not saying it would've won, but hey, the only name I have so far is Emperors and that's about as easy as it gets for New York.

5/08/2020 11:56 pm  #294

QCS wrote:

I think I've come to a realization: my names tend to do less well, in part, at least, because they're deeper cuts and aren't immediately obvious. So when people see something like "Los Angeles Links" and haven't read my explanation (or don't want to come through the forum again, totally understandable) they don't make the connection to the Internet or don't understand the connection. Not saying it would've won, but hey, the only name I have so far is Emperors and that's about as easy as it gets for New York.

I mean, Emperors would have won the AltHL one for me, but Gargoyles was way too creative of a name to beat.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/09/2020 12:36 am  #295

QCS wrote:

Honestly, me personally, I vote for traditional names, I don't frankly care about how Links connects to LA, I don't think it's the best name either way. It's too out there and not sports enough if you know what I mean. There's a balance between traditional sports names such as Tigers and Bulldogs and those far out ones like Links and such.

5/09/2020 9:23 am  #296

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

QCS wrote:

Honestly, me personally, I vote for traditional names, I don't frankly care about how Links connects to LA, I don't think it's the best name either way. It's too out there and not sports enough if you know what I mean. There's a balance between traditional sports names such as Tigers and Bulldogs and those far out ones like Links and such.

Yeah, I'm with Dr. Pepper on this topic.  I tend to vote for more traditional names that could realistically be used in real sports leagues.  I know this is a fictional league and we're free to make up whatever we want (hence the LA Titans having a rotating field to share with 4 other leagues, even though that will never happen in real life), but I do like some sense of realism myself, at least for the team identities.   

Links, to me, just doesn't work quite as well for a sports team name, especially when you consider how many other really good names each of these teams have for us to vote from.  I think that's another thing you should keep in mind, we're chosing from a list of 15-25 names per team, there's a lot of competition there!  So it's not like you not winning means your selections stink or anything, it's just a sign of how great this community is at coming up with usable sports team identities to where no matter what wins, we're getting really cool teams out of this.  At least you got Emperors in though!  It may have been an easy pick, but it works great for a sports team!

Last edited by Stickman (5/09/2020 9:28 am)

5/09/2020 9:40 am  #297

Stickman wrote:

At least you got Emperors in though!  It may have been an easy pick, but it works great for a sports team!

So many possibilities...I got a lovely idea for one, which any designers looking for inspiration can DM me about.

5/09/2020 12:09 pm  #298

I've put together the map of AltFL teams and my map of projected team fanbases.
These will be updated once the last group of team names are announced.

FAQ for fanbase map.
Q: What's the science behind this?
A: There is no science, just my applied Midwestern knowledge.
Q: Why does [X] have [Y]? Shouldn't [Z] have that?
A: This map is entirely my opinion. Each owner could make a map and have 32 completely different maps.
Q: What's the deal with Toronto?
A: They're Canadian in an American football league. My map only covers the 48 contiguous states, and Buffalo is right across the border. They don't get much.

5/09/2020 12:20 pm  #299

JamHeronArk wrote:

FAQ for fanbase map.
A: This map is entirely my opinion. Each owner could make a map and have 32 completely different maps.
A: They're Canadian in an American football league. My map only covers the 48 contiguous states, and Buffalo is right across the border. They don't get much.

I tried clicking both links, and they say "404 Error."

5/09/2020 12:48 pm  #300

Burmy87 wrote:

JamHeronArk wrote:

FAQ for fanbase map.

I tried clicking both links, and they say "404 Error."

They work for me, even in an incognito browser. Here are the addresses; maybe these will work.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221g3Sc04HsLeGLNRaq8PcqNb028HT-ZffA%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22117809671670956373114%22%7D&usp=sharing
https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221RYtoDlnqbfcbimoqHKWDSE-PA2Mw5PAn%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22117809671670956373114%22%7D&usp=sharing
I am using Google Chrome, maybe browser has an impact?

Board footera