Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2020 3:14 pm  #261

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Just a heads up Gritty, I updated my picks for Seattle and Toronto

Last edited by Section30 (5/06/2020 3:21 pm)

5/06/2020 3:17 pm  #262

Just some thoughts about the Alignment Options...

A)  If you're into East vs. West, this isn't too bad.  Philly being in the Coastal Division does feel a bit unnatural, as they really fit in more with New York and Boston, (so too does Chicago and St. Louis and they've been split).  I'm really not a fan of splitting Kansas City and St. Louis despite being in the same state.  It's as illogical as splitting the Pittsburgh Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies up.  Just doesn't make sense to me, but there aren't many alternative options either.   This was a pass for me, but I do love the conference names, really nice job there!

B)  This is a really strong option.  All of the divisions make sense at first sight, no extreme oddities here.  I did pick another option, but I think this is a good alignment.

C)  This is like Option A, except with a few teams shuffled.  It does fix the K.C. and STL problem, but keeps the other rival separation issues intact along a few more, (Milwaukee and Minneapolis being split, Birmingham and Phoenix somehow being in the same division).  Personally thought this was the weakest choice we have, but then again, I also always hated the East vs. West shtick.  Not only is does it tend to split Central USA rivalries, but I always just felt it a little "tacked on" so to speak.  I just never felt the rivalry of Eastern USA vs. Western USA.  Hard pass.

D)  1 Conference ideas are usually pretty cool and this one isn't too bad.  There is the oddity of Charlotte being in the Northeast Division, (I'd have put them in the Southeast Division, moved Nashville to the Central Division to be close to Louisville, moved Minneapolis to the Lake Shore Division to be close to Milwaukee and Chicago and moved Buffalo to the North East Division to be with New York).   Still, the 1 Conference, 6 Division idea was one I could get behind.

E)  This was my suggestion, right up to the funky team locations.  MLB and NFL have some oddities to their divisional layouts as a result of their histories, (the Miami franchise we have in the East Division against Northeastern teams for example is similar to what the Miami Dolphins deal with IRL with all their division rivals being in the Northeastern part of the USA too).  I'll admit, this breaks a few rivalries and isn't totally elegant, but real life wasn't either.  I actually didn't vote for my own idea though...

F)  The AtlHL option was what I voted for, as not only would it be just like the AtlHL's 3 Conference idea, but it'd also solve any real travel issues, (other than maybe the Texas teams, but Texas teams always get tossed into the Western Conferences and Divisions).   One other thing that needs to be considered is that, the more teams in each division, the less likely it is to have a team with a .500 or worse record in the postseason, (no 7-9 teams get in the playoffs with this league!).  Ultimately, I think this is the best choice we have!

5/06/2020 6:28 pm  #263

I was told my suggestions for St. Louis and Toronto were already used so here's my replacement ideas.

St. Louis Rhinos
St. Louis Stallions
St. Louis Rascals
St. Louis River Rats
St. Louis Rivermen
St. Louis Showboats
St. Louis Saints
St. Louis Brewers
Toronto Terriers
Toronto T-Rex
Toronto Tarantulas
Toronto Titans
Toronto Trojans
Toronto Wolfpack
Toronto Beavers
Toronto Mounties
Toronto Grizzlies
Toronto Lakers

5/06/2020 6:44 pm  #264

Toronto North Stars is legit the best one besides Towers objectively.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/06/2020 7:51 pm  #265

Hey Gritty, can i change my submission from Salt Lake Stingers to Utah Yellow Jackets. I've been informed the former was already a team at some point.

5/06/2020 7:55 pm  #266

NeoPrankster wrote:

I was told my suggestions for St. Louis and Toronto were already used so here's my replacement ideas.

St. Louis Rhinos
St. Louis Stallions
St. Louis Rascals
St. Louis River Rats
St. Louis Rivermen
St. Louis Showboats
St. Louis Saints
St. Louis Brewers
Toronto Terriers
Toronto T-Rex
Toronto Tarantulas
Toronto Titans
Toronto Trojans
Toronto Wolfpack
Toronto Beavers
Toronto Mounties
Toronto Grizzlies
Toronto Lakers

Which ones did you want to put forward? 

5/06/2020 8:08 pm  #267

Gritty wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

St. Louis Rhinos
St. Louis Stallions
St. Louis Rascals
St. Louis River Rats
St. Louis Rivermen
St. Louis Showboats
St. Louis Saints
St. Louis Brewers
Toronto Terriers
Toronto T-Rex
Toronto Tarantulas
Toronto Titans
Toronto Trojans
Toronto Wolfpack
Toronto Beavers
Toronto Mounties
Toronto Grizzlies
Toronto Lakers

Which ones did you want to put forward? 

St. Louis Rhinos and Toronto Titans.

5/06/2020 8:15 pm  #268

NeoPrankster wrote:

St. Louis Rhinos and Toronto Titans.

Can't be an NFL name...pick another for Toronto please.

5/06/2020 8:54 pm  #269

Just a heads up, Tarantulas have absolutely no bearing on Toronto at all. Be like calling a team in Dallas the Sharks or Dolphins.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/06/2020 9:43 pm  #270

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Just a heads up, Tarantulas have absolutely no bearing on Toronto at all. Be like calling a team in Dallas the Sharks or Dolphins.

That's true. The funny and scary thing is that the Toronto Raptors short list back in the crazy 90s included Beavers, Bobcats, Raptors, Dragons, Grizzlies, Hogs, Scorpions, Terriers, T-Rex, and Tarantulas.  The short lists for the new teams of the 90s were always wild. 

Board footera