Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2020 5:14 pm  #221

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Salt Lake Mormons (I'm probably not the only one thinking of this one, but I'm taking it before anybody else can)
San Antonio Revolution (We all remember the Alamo, but it was part of the larger Texas Revolution)
San Diego Vigilantes (The motto of the city is translated as "Ever Vigilant", plus it sounds like a good name for a football team)
Seattle Caffeine (Starbucks is headquartered in Seattle, plus I've always thought that it would make for a unique team name and identity)
St. Louis Gladiators (One of the lesser known nicknames of St. Louis is "Rome of the West")
Toronto Travelers (They're the only international team in the league and its a nice bit of alliteration)

Also, I was curious as to why my suggestion for Philadelphia wasn't in the poll, but then I realized right then and there about the Penn Quakers. I had totally forgotten about it when I figuring out a nickname.

Last edited by n00bthtpwnz (5/05/2020 5:14 pm)

5/05/2020 5:14 pm  #222

Salt Lake City- Utah Pioneers (Named for the people who settled Utah way back when)
San Antonio- Admirals (San Antonio has a great military history plus a David Robinson tribute, his nickname was the Admiral and he played for the Spurs)
San Diego- Tsunami (Named for the tidal waves that strike San Diego and the West Coast)
Seattle- Chinook (Chinook salmon is common in Seattle)
St. Louis- Sprits (The name of the plane that made the first cross-ocean flight was the Sprit of St. Louis)
Toronto- Towers (The CN Tower is in the city)

5/05/2020 5:19 pm  #223

Utah Rhinos: Looks like Burmy beat me to using Rhinos, a name I've been wanting to use too, haha!  However, I like Rhinos more for Utah here personally.
San Antonio Generals:  Sticking with San Antonio's nickname of Military city, you don't get much higher ranked than a General.  
San Diego Cruisers: Seems a couple of people already have San Diego's naval theme in mind.  Same here.  Cruisers just seems like a solid option.
Seattle Stags: Alliteration, plus a deer theme would be fun.
St. Louis Steamers: The Steamboat was a big part of St. Louis's rise to becoming a major American city, allowing it to be a big trade center in the 19th Century.  
Toronto Boars:  My original suggestion from AtlHL.  I know there's a Hogs choice too, but think of this as a good way to get one of the Pig themed teams in.  

5/05/2020 5:40 pm  #224

0k, I'm going to puII a QCS here folks. Toronto and Canada is more than wilderness and wildlife. We have a rich and vibrant history and culture . Did you know that in WWl Canadians won Vimy Ridge almost single-handed? Or that in the War of 1812 an all French-Canadian regiment saved what's now Ontario? How about the many heroic men and women who travelled through the wild exploring or in the fur trade ? Or the people who died during the building of one of the largest canals in the world ?

K, I'll end my rant now. Sorry. I live between Ottawa and Toronto.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/05/2020 5:41 pm  #225

Salt Lake Swarm - Utah is nicknamed the beehive state, due to the early Mormon settlers there calling it Deseret (The Biblical Land of Milk and Honey).

San Antonio Soldados - It’s really a shame that “Vaqueros” didn’t win the LA poll, even though it came awfully close, but here’s another chance to use a Latin-inspired name. “Soldado” is Spanish for soldier, which is a reference to the famous Alamo last stand.

San Diego Mantas - Manta Rays live in the waters around San Diego. Manta is also a ride at Seaworld.

Seattle Greys - This is the third time I’ve edited my submission for Seattle, and I’ve decided to name them after the Pacific Northwest Coast Grey Whales.

Second St. Louis Steamers

Toronto Dukes - Not sure why I chose to nominate dukes, just sounds very Dominion-y.

Last edited by ThisIsFine (5/06/2020 10:25 am)

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/05/2020 5:44 pm  #226

Salt Lake Stingers-Utah is known as the Beehive State
San Antonio Rebels-The battle of the Alamo was crucial in the Texas Revolution
San Diego Destroyers-Theres a naval base in San Diego
Seattle Steelheads-A common fish found in Washington
St.Louis Explorers-St.Louis was the gateway to the west.
Toronto Bucks-Canada, Ontario specifically, is known for their wildlife.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (5/05/2020 5:51 pm)

5/05/2020 5:47 pm  #227

SLC- North Shore Monsters- The North Shore Monster is supposedly in the great salt lake.
San Antonio Conquistadors
Second: San Diego Pandas
Seattle Summit- As a Washington native, a mountain theme would be super cool.
St Louis Clydesdales- A budweiser brewery is in St Louis, and I think a horse theme would be neat.
Toronto Poutine Eaters- Unique and obscure

5/05/2020 7:18 pm  #228

Salt Lake City Lake Salts - You know why.
Bexar Bombers - Bexar (Bay-er) County is the county in which SA resides. SA's status as Military City USA gives meaning to this alliterative nickname.
San Diego Submarines - SD is home to the only West Coast submarine and shipyards.
Seattle Needlers - Straight to the point: this name is sharp.
Toronto Trout - While not native, trout can be found around Toronto. They showed up and dominated.

5/05/2020 7:42 pm  #229

Utah Lakers - Great Salt Lake
San Antonio Riverhounds - San Antonio River Walk
San Diego Tigers - San Diego Zoo
Seattle Schooners - Original founders of Seattle came in a schooner
St Louis Sentries - Similar to Gate Keepers but it has alliteration
Toronto Palominos - Golden Horse for the Golden Horseshoe

5/05/2020 7:42 pm  #230

Burmy87 wrote:

QCS wrote:

San Antonio - Stars. I honestly can't think of anything good for San Antonio. At least this one has alliteration.

It was the name of their WNBA team (played from 2003-2017).

Dang it, I knew I had heard it somewhere before. Alright Gritty, update mine to Sheriffs for a neat Western theme.

Board footera