Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2020 5:43 pm  #21

Re: Robin Island Baseball Federation

Next to unveil their brand was the second Shinkyō team.

About Daishinkyō:

Daishinkyō, known often by its nickname Daikyō, is on the larger island and is the largest city in Robin Island, by far. Daikyō is famous for its incredible culture and diversity, as well as being home to most government functions. The legislature (known as the People's Branch), the Executive (known as the Prime Minister), and the Judiciary (known as the People's Court) all reside on Daikyō, as well as things like the National Bank and the Police Bureau. Notably, the military is not found in Shinkyō but is instead based in Ft. Hayakawa in Toramoto. Daikyōens often consider themselves superior to Kokyōers, causing something of a rift between the two islands.

About the Identity:
A team with the nickname of "Robins" has played in the Shinkyō area since the very beginning of baseball in Robin Island. Always playing in the Robin Bay League, when opposed to the Senators of the Shinsakai Bay League, like many American teams, they were given the nickname of their league, hence the Robins. When they were "promoted" to the RIBF, owner Simon Walker made the nickname official. The team uses black of a Black Robin, Robin Island's national bird, as well as a shade of blue-green known as "robin egg". The logo is a holdover from when they were just one of many Shinkyo Baseball Clubs, using a unique S to stand out. This font is carried through the set. The home reads "Robins" in robin egg outlined in black. The road is a bold robin egg shirt with "Shinkyo" arched in black. The pants have an egg-colored stripe and the cap is egg with a black bill and the primary in all black. The socks are robin egg with a single black stripe. 

About the Team:
Team owner Simon Walker has connections with the Ishikawa Group, one of Robin Island's largest keiretsu, a conglomerate of businesses with ties and financial dealings. Money is not an issue and his position in the capital of Robin Island makes it easy to work with the team and used his capital to renovate Shinkyō Stadium, known as the "Meiji Jingu Stadium of Robin Island" because of its age and its placement as part of a large shrine complex. It was built in 1915 (making it older than Meiji Jingu Stadium) and seats 29,786 people. The two players to watch for are P Taizo Miyagi and P Nozomu Nishizawa. The Robins aren't expected to compete this year.

NEXT: Vertlac

Last edited by QCS (6/10/2020 5:44 pm)

6/11/2020 12:45 pm  #22

I love the colors of the Robins and Carp, but the two tone letters and numbers of the Tigers? Bold choice, not sure if it works.

6/11/2020 1:34 pm  #23

The Robins have some of the best color contrast I’ve ever seen. Good job, mate.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

6/11/2020 2:41 pm  #24

We're very close to the start of the very first RIBF season, and three teams unveiled their identities today. We start with Vertlac.

About Vertlac:

Vertlac (pronounced Vert-lack) is French for "green lake" and directly references the lake filled with algae near the city. Nowadays the lake has been cleaned and is vibrant with fish and plants, an example of the clean nature of the city. The city acts as a tech hub, with RedCrest Electronics, SIO (the social media service), and Hayai (the e-commerce site) all being based in Vertlac. The sport of choice in Vertlac is baseball, a rare deviation from its PNW counterparts, but other sports are also popular in the area.

(Editor's Note: This description is from my Robin Island "Wiki" thread, meaning it's more representative of the modern day than 1955, but if you can imagine 1955 Seattle, that's about right for Vertlac.)

About the Identity:
Vertlac is a very "green" city, so naturally a three-tone green color scheme was utilized for the Emeralds. The colors come from an emerald, the Columbia flag, and the trees found in Vertlac. The logo is a "V" in the shape of an emerald with a smaller emerald in the middle. This logo finds use on the home jersey in place of a wordmark (owner Takahiro Wilton couldn't find a script mark that pleased him, and with time running short, he decided on just the logo for now). Dark green stripes are on the sleeves as well as the pants, and the away jersey is also a dark green with "Vertlac" in white. Again, Wilton was indecisive on the features of the jersey, leading to this basic design. The cap is also dark green and uses a special version of the logo with the "V" in white for legibility. The socks are also dark green.

About the Team:
Owner Takahiro Wilton is the head of 35 Motors, the second-largest car company in Robin Island (after Shrike). He joined the league as the last owner, found after Shinosaka's Ryota Fujimori encountered him in the streets of Shinkyō after a league meeting. He doesn't have any real connections to Vertlac but as the 10th city the league wanted to target, he didn't have much of a choice. The team will play in Veterans' Park, a four-year-old stadium in downtown Vertlac. It seats 23,890. The two best players on the Ems are P Masamoto Arakaki and RF Masaya Honda. Vertlac has high expectations this year, projected to have the best record in the league and win the Robin Bay League.

NEXT: Queenston

Last edited by QCS (6/11/2020 2:44 pm)

6/11/2020 3:00 pm  #25

While Vertlac was unveiling their brand, Queenston had called a press conference to do the same thing.

About Queenston:

Queenston, also known as the "Phoenix City" for its rebirth after World War II, is the financial hub of Robin Island. Almost every major bank makes its home here as well as the largest mint in the country along with the paper currency facility. Queenston has also become a home for craft brewing, with several local IPAs eventually becoming household names. Queenston is also home to two top universities in the country: University of Pine Grove and Queenston Technical College. Every sport can be found here with a passionate fanbase, even motorsports are supported with the Robin Island Grand Prix being held every year in Queenston. 

About the Identity:
With a royally-inspired city name, naturally the baseball team should take some inspiration from that. Monarchs was selected to avoid using "Kings" because of the slight confusion that would come from a "Queens"ton "Kings". Owner John Watts is a Boston native and natural Red Sox fan, which is why the classic BoSox font appears on the Monarchs' jerseys. The "royal" blue is from Pine Grove, while the gold is a nod to the golden crown that any self-respecting monarch would wear. The home jersey features gold striping and a blue script wordmark with the numbers right below it. The primary logo, a "Q" with a crown on top, is placed on the sleeve as a patch. The road jersey is blue with a gold version of the logo as well as gold numbers opposite it. The cap is blue with a gold bill with the gold crown placed proudly on top. A gold stripe was placed on the pants while the socks are blue with a singular gold stripe. 

About the Team:
John Watts is the owner of the biggest bank in Robin Island, Bank of Robin Island, and as a Boston sports fan, is interested in bringing his passions to Robin Island. The Monarchs will play in Monarchs Ballpark, a stadium built in 1951 as part of the revitalization of Queenston after its destruction during World War II. It has a capacity of 24,098. The Monarchs are expected to compete this season, finishing in second place behind Vertlac in the RBL. The two best players for Queenston are CF Koji Ishii and P Akiyoshi Sato.

NEXT: San Juan

6/11/2020 3:13 pm  #26

Wow, Queenston is far and away your best look so far. I love that Q logo, why isn't it on the caps? The script and number font are great.

Also, your monarchs script has the same problem as your Senators script, one letter shouldn't overlap where the button up is.

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (6/11/2020 3:16 pm)

6/11/2020 3:17 pm  #27

Finally for today, San Juan unveiled their identity in a small, press-only event.

About San Juan:

San Juan is the old capital of Roosevelt and the largest city in the province, and the 4th largest in the country. It now serves as once of two cities competing for foreign and domestic tourism to the capital, along with Hokuseikyō. The economy has been built on the back of cheap service, shopping, and hotels for both Shinkyō and San Juan itself. The culture in San Juan was been compared to Shinkyō, and for good reason. The city has some of the most Michelin stars of any city on the globe, fourth only to Tokyo, Osaka, and Paris. Some government officials take up residence in San Juan for cheaper transport and services, although many take day trips just for the food. San Juan has a passion for football, but soccer is the city's true sports love, with multiple teams in each tier of association soccer in Robin Island. 

About the Identity:
The name of "Shockers" comes from Roosevelt's agricultural background and the logo and colors reflect this. Gold and brown for golden wheat and brown soil and an "SJ" combination with a sickle replacing the J. The home jersey has brown stripes and "SHOCKERS" in gold with a brown outline while the away jersey is gold with white replacing gold on both the wordmark and numbers. The number font is something unique to San Juan, developed specifically at owner Giles Carrey's request to not have a traditional block font. The cap is all-gold with the logo in brown, while the pants have only a single brown stripe. The socks are gold with two brown stripes. 

About the Team:
Giles Carrey is the owner of RI Air and has business interests in San Juan, as well as being a Roosevelt native, making him the obvious choice for the San Juan franchise. The Shockers will play in the new San Juan Stadium, a 22,000-seat stadium built in 1954. The Shockers aren't projected for much this season, but have RF Sho Yabato and P Higashikuni Yamashiro to look forward to.

NEXT: Yosemite

6/11/2020 3:41 pm  #28

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I really like the updated to the Carp. They went from a "I like this team a lot" to "I REALLY like this team a lot".

I love the mismatched numbers on the Tigers. It's such a fun, unique thing. I can see it changing in the future to be all one color, but I'm all in on that look.

DireBear wrote:

Nice work so far! I'd say my favorite so far is the Crusaders, as the darkened purple really made the set for me (or the fact I appreciate the JJBA references)

The Tigers' mismatching wordmark and numbers are pretty unique. The only thing I have is that the logo kind of gets lost on the cap color-wise. Besides that minor thing it's a great look.

CaliforniaGlowin wrote:

I love the colors of the Robins and Carp, but the two tone letters and numbers of the Tigers? Bold choice, not sure if it works.

ThisIsFine wrote:

The Robins have some of the best color contrast I’ve ever seen. Good job, mate.

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad the updates to Aorin and Joestar went over well. I knew the Tigers wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm glad they seem to be mostly well-received. Odds are they'll be replaced eventually before coming back on an alt or throwback. We'll see how the team develops.

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Wow, Queenston is far and away your best look so far. I love that Q logo, why isn't it on the caps? The script and number font are great.

Also, your monarchs script has the same problem as your Senators script, one letter shouldn't overlap where the button up is.

Thanks, Queenston is one of my favorites as well. The Q isn't on the cap because the only thing that would be on a monarch's head is a crown, right? It's a little fun nod to the team's nickname. It's possible I add the Q to the cap eventually but for now I like just the crown. As for the script, there's actually no button on my template where the wordmark goes on the "overlap". Using some of the references H-Town posted and what I've seen, it seems like as long as the script doesn't go over a button, it's ok to go on the overlap area. That may just be my template, however. It's a very modern template but the best one I could find as an Illustrator file. (Additionally, the "o" actually doesn't connect to the "n", making it slightly better than if they connected like on the Sens scripts.)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! The updates I've made based on your guys' comments so far have all been awesome, they really help me elevate my style! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited by QCS (6/11/2020 6:36 pm)

6/12/2020 7:53 pm  #29

The day before the RIBF was set to start, Yosemite finally unveiled their uniforms.

About Yosemite:

Yosemite, despite being the capital, is the smallest major city in Roosevelt and is the 9th largest overall. It was a small town before being selected as the provincial capital and it boomed from there. The city still retains its mining roots, with the famous red clay found all over, including Yosemite's world-famous red clay brick government buildings. The city adores baseball and football, to the point where civic holidays are celebrated on days where those two teams are competing for something big. The city purposefully developed a culture of anti-modernism, relying on mined coal and old technology, much to the chagrin of the federal government and Columbia, Roosevelt's green northern neighbor. Provincial officials support the actions as small ways to get back at the federal government, but some concerned citizens have been protesting the actions since the early 2000s.

About the Identity:
Because of the issues with owner Barnard Bartram and the Yosemite stadium, the team didn't have a settled identity until it was nearly time to start the season. This resulted in a bare-bones look, characterized by a unique font and large stripes. The name comes from Bartram's Canary Mining, which took its name from the classic "canary in a coal mine". The yellow and black obviously come from a canary. The home jersey uses thick yellow stripes on the front and sleeves with "Canaries" written in the front. The away uses smaller black stripes and a yellow shirt with the primary logo on the chest. The cap is black with a yellow bill, the pants uses the same thick yellow stripe the home jersey does, and the socks are plain yellow.

About the Team:
Bartram made his ambitions known about the team early on, only really in it for the money. He wanted to move the team to his native San Moriuchi but the league was able to give Yosemite a chance through negotiating a sweetheart stadium deal with the city. Canary Stadium is by far the worst stadium in the league, built in 1920 and not exactly properly maintained, it seats only 11,457, making it the smallest in the league by almost 10,000 seats. All this seems like Yosemite is being set up to fail, but the league has made public statements committing to Yosemite in the long-term. The two best players on the Canaries are P Shinsaku Sonoda and 2B Tomio Fujiyama. Unfortunately for Yosemite fans, the team is projected to be the worst in the league.

NEXT: The First Season!

6/12/2020 8:13 pm  #30

Been liking the looks all around, QCS! Just could use a few minor tweaks that would elevate, but this is the first year so there is plenty of time for that. Only big one is the Shockers. I really enjoy the "SJ" sickle design and the colors, making it close to my favorite team. I think changing the white text on the yellow to brown text would help the overall look. It is a unique palette and I think using it whenever possible would make them the sharpest team on the field. Other than that, just keep stroke size in mind when it comes to outline. If a couple of these were beefed up a little I would mistake them for pro caliber logos. Great start!

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (6/12/2020 8:26 pm)

Board footera