Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 5:35 pm  #21

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

QCS wrote:

I love Providence's look. I think they'll be my team until they either move/fold (which always seems to happen to my teams) or Charlotte gets a team. Great work so far, everything looks super era-appropriate!

Thanks!! and I totally hear you on the teams that seem to always move especially the small/uncommon towns. Honestly, I hope to change it up a bit with this league and give some different cities a chance to shine!

2/16/2020 8:06 pm  #22

Nice work thus far. I'm digging the retro hand-drawn logo looks for each team. I'll patiently wait for a team in Pittsburgh (hopefully) but the Boston digs are my favorite so far.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/16/2020 8:59 pm  #23

I love both Toronto and Providence. I'm excited for season 1! 

2/16/2020 9:12 pm  #24

Wallflower wrote:

QCS wrote:

I love Providence's look. I think they'll be my team until they either move/fold (which always seems to happen to my teams) or Charlotte gets a team. Great work so far, everything looks super era-appropriate!

Thanks!! and I totally hear you on the teams that seem to always move especially the small/uncommon towns. Honestly, I hope to change it up a bit with this league and give some different cities a chance to shine!

Very true. Maybe one small town that can get a chance to shine early will be Charlotte, haha. 

2/16/2020 10:32 pm  #25

1949 Season Preview 

The inaugural season of the NAAF is about to kick off tomorrow so I thought I would give a little preview (which I have been giving with each team already so this will be shorter than usual).  Interesting Points

• Expect the unexpected: all of these teams are playing with new or modified rules from their usual style of play which is expected to make things a little all over the place during the first few seasons of play. Even the favourites to win might go through some rough patches to start.
  • *also the sim system is still a work in progress which will take a few seasons to get right so we will see how that goes (currently using overall ratings paired with dice)

Schedule Notes:

• Each team plays 8 total games over 10 weeks (which will all be posted one at a time over the next few days *maybe 2-3 a day?* test run mostly till I get a good rhythm)
  • Each team's schedule, they will play the other 6 teams at least once while they will play two teams twice which will change each year. 
  • Going into the season both the top 2 teams have the toughest schedules since Montreal and Boston will have to play each other twice and Montreal also has Ottawa twice and Boston has Providence twice, the two next best teams.
  • Buffalo, on the other hand, has what would be considered the easiest schedule getting both Toronto and Hartford twice.
  • Week 3 will also be the only week with a single game featuring the rivalry of Providence and Boston in Boston. 
  • The team on the side is the team with the bye (week 3 doesn’t show because all other teams are on bye)

1949 Schedule: 

Opening Week Preview

Boston Independents @ Ottawa Royals 

The opening game is expected to be an offensive show in front of a large crowd at Lansdowne Park. All the entire league committee will be in attendance as well as former NEFC commissioner John McCallister. Most people are expecting Boston to come out on top in the opening game.

Toronto Tigers @ Montreal Rouge 

In just the fifth game at the team's new stadium, the Rouge are expected to crush the Tigers. The defence is hungry and wanting to show the league what they are made of. 

Buffalo Blue Wings @ Providence Gold Stars 

While Montreal and Toronto might be a blowout, the same can’t be said about the Gold Stars home opener. The Blue Wings may have a weaker team but some are calling them a dark horse to possibly surprise the league in the first season, not to mention the team has had to become road warriors in the last few seasons in the NYCFL. Hopefully, the home crowd can help the Gold Stars to an easy win.

Power Rankings:
[list=1]
  • Boston Independents
  • Montreal Rouge
  • Providence Gold Stars
  • Ottawa Royals
  • Buffalo Blue Wings
  • Hartford Hawks
  • Toronto Tigers

•  Week 1 will hopefully be up between 11 and 12 am tomorrow. 

2/17/2020 11:56 am  #26

1949 - WEEK 1

Ottawa Royals - 17, Boston Independents - 20 

The opening game was an interesting one. There was both excitement and worry in the air as the new rules were being put to the test of the general public for the first time. The first quarter started slow for the Independents. On their first drive, they got a first down but were stopped short on a 2nd & 5 just two plays later. Ottawa was a little more loose and capitalized on Boston’s early struggles defensively and drove the field. QB Duane Logan eventually hit WR Allen Atkins for a 22-yard touchdown pass to score the first points in league history taking a 7-0 lead. The remainder of the 1st was a lot slower as Boston tightened their defences and shut Ottawa down but still had QB Larry Larson getting warmed up. With the final drive of the first Boston would get close enough to put 3 points on the board off of their trusty K Arthur Wall. 

The second quarter was all Boston. After a Royals 2 and out, Boston drove the field forcing the ball on the ground with star RB Joel Bonner. Bonner would take the rock all the way to paydirt on a 3-yard rush to put Boston up 7-10. With about 6 minutes left in the half, Ottawa was pinned deep. Boston started to pressure Duane Logan a bit more and it paid off. Logan attempted to get the ball to Atkins but was intercepted by DB Lester Murphy. Boston would capitalize with Joel Bonner’s 2nd TD. 7-17 Halftime.

To start the 3rd, Duane Logan started slinging the ball with more accuracy than before and managed to lead Ottawa down the field going 4 for 4 on pass attempts. This set up an Ottawa FG to pull it back to within 1 score. Boston was a little flat out of the gate for the second half and ultimately could only muster a FG early in the fourth. Ottawa was doing everything they could to try and get back into the game. Unfortunately, a second interception thrown by Logan stifled a long drive deep into Boston territory. They would recover and score on the ensuing drive on a 7-yard pass to Kenneth Mullen to make it 17-20. Boston would try to run the clock down as much as possible but we're a little less thoughtful of the shorter clock and less downs and had to give the ball back. The Royals stepped on the field one last time to try and at least tie the game. Logan started the drive with two quick completions for a first down. On the first play of the new set of downs, they tried a screen-play with RB Ray Middleton that only got 3 yards. On second, Logan took a shot down-field looking for Atkins but the pass was broken up by S Michael O’Brian. On 3rd and 7, game on the line, Logan tried to throw the ball over the middle to Kenneth Mullen. While Mullen had the ball in his hands and enough for a first down, LB Carlos Bennet decided to change that fact and collided with Mullen knocking the ball out of his hands and onto the ground to seal the victory for the Independents.  

Following the game, Ryan Jameson blew a sigh of relief over the successful game giving the quote: “I was a little nervous at first but that was the perfect start to the NAAF! I couldn't be happier.” 
    Even Former NEFC commissioner John McCallister had something to say: “While I had my doubts at first, I will say, that was some of the best football I have ever seen. My son made the right call for the NEFC. I am proud and excited to watch this league and my son grow.”

(For most games I will just make some points about the game and leave the long descriptions for the important or special occasion games) 

Montreal Rouge - 45, Toronto Tigers - 0 
     - Élisée Marchal was the top star in this game scoring 4 of Montreal’s 6TDs
     - 
    The Rouge allowed only 2 first downs all game
     - 
    Ellis Sears (TOR) was sacked 7 times before being pulled for backup youngster Michael Kramer, who threw 2 INT in the 4th
     - 
    Toronto also lost starting RB Curtis Hoffman to an ankle and chest injury and will miss the next couple
    weeks

Providence Gold Stars - 20, Buffalo Blue Wings - 8 
     - Great start for Providence as QB Bruce Woodard threw 1 TD with no turnovers
     - 
    TE Marion Warren was the only TE to score a TD this week
     - 
    Buffalo became the first team to score a single on a missed field goal late in the first half which ended 13-1
    ​ - 
    RB Arthur Conner got the TD for Buffalo as they got some groove in the second half, just too little too late.  

Standings:
    Montreal 1-0
    Providence 1-0
    Boston 1-0
    Hartford 0-0
    Ottawa 0-1
    Buffalo 0-1
    Toronto 0-1

Power Rankings:
    Boston
    Montreal
    Providence
    Ottawa
    Buffalo
    Hartford
    Toronto

Player of the Week:

RB Élisée Marchal (MTL) - 4 Touchdowns, 206 Rushing yards 

WEEK 2 Games:
    HAR @ BOS
    MTL @ OTT
    BUF @ TOR

Last edited by Wallflower (2/17/2020 12:41 pm)

2/17/2020 2:56 pm  #27

Geez Montreal, let off the gas.

2/17/2020 3:13 pm  #28

I like the depth of info on individual stats, have you mentioned how you aim these games? I saw that everyone has a rating, but is there a further breakdown that gives you these stats? Or is it a highly skilled imagination connecting the scores to players?

2/17/2020 5:42 pm  #29

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I like the depth of info on individual stats, have you mentioned how you aim these games? I saw that everyone has a rating, but is there a further breakdown that gives you these stats? Or is it a highly skilled imagination connecting the scores to players?

Every player currently has a single overall rating for simplicity (I have tried more in-depth before and that was wayyy to much). I used to take overalls of the entire team, but now that I have backups and such, I have set up starting lineups for both offence and defence and take the average of those ratings. Offense also includes kickers and both have the coaches overall as well. From that, I take the average between the two sides and that is a team's overall. I then use dice with a slight adjustment of a home dice having a slight advantage and then add in the overall difference as a sort of handy cap to determine who wins. 

The next step is purely imagination with both scores and stats. I don't really have a system to determine how the game goes "randomly" and that would be something I may try to do at some point, but that is a whole other side project. In terms of what players perform well, that is based on overalls as I will take the higher rated players to be the stars that score and such and I also have developed playing styles for teams like Montreal is heavy rushing and defense while Ottawa is a great air attack but lack defense. Hense why Marchel had such a dominant game for Montreal on the ground and Duane Logan was the only QB throwing 2 touchdowns.

Hope that answers some questions, if anyone wants to see a roster I can show an example.

Last edited by Wallflower (2/17/2020 5:43 pm)

2/17/2020 7:09 pm  #30

1949 - WEEK 2

Boston Independents - 29, Hartford Hawks - 9 
     - QB Larry Larson (BOS) was very good throwing 2 touchdowns with no turnovers
     - RB Joel Bonner (BOS) added to his 2 TD’s in week 1 with 3 more in week 2
     - 
    Hartford was very much still adjusting to the new rules of the game and had a slow start but managed field goals late
     - 
    QB Oliver Callahan (HAR) threw 2 Interceptions including one on his first throw
     - 
    DB Lester Murphy for Boston had his second pickoff of that throw

Ottawa Royals - 23, Montreal Rouge - 24 
     - QB Duane Logan (OTT) was great, throwing for 2 TDs again with only 1 Interception
     - 
    Montreal’s defence struggled against the heavy pass attack from Ottawa but had held the Royals to field goals late which was key in the win
     - 
    RB Élisée Marchal was the star of the offence once again scoring twice more including a 63-yard rushing TD.
     - 
    However, it came down to QB Maurice Norris (MTL) needing to make a play for the win. On one attempt down 20-17, Morris threw his first interception of the season which lead to an Ottawa score, but he had another chance. After Marchal took them down the field, Norris had to throw on 3rd and Goal. Since Ottawa expected the run to Marchal they sent a blitz which Norris threw right over into WR Richard de la Fontaine's hands for the game-winning touchdown. 

Toronto Tigers - 3, Buffalo Blue Wings - 19 
     - QB Evan Morrow (BUF) played a lot better in week two passing for a touchdown to WR Travis Gallager.
     - 
    Toronto looked a bit better in this game but the lack of run game didn’t help the unreliable arm of QB Ellis Sears.
     - 
    The game felt a lot more like home for Buffalo as many of their fans went up to Toronto to watch the game. This is expected to be the biggest crowd in Toronto all season. 

Standings:
    Montreal 2-0
    Boston 2-0
    Providence 1-0
    Buffalo 1-1
    Ottawa 0-2
    Hartford 0-1
    Toronto 0-2

Power Rankings:
    Boston - 
    Montreal -
    Ottawa +1
    Providence -1
    Buffalo - 
    Hartford - 
    Toronto - 

*Ottawa moves up because they have lost to the top two teams by less than 3 points

Player of the week:

RB Joel Bonner (BOS) 3 touchdowns, 127 Rushing Yards

WEEK 3
    PRO @ BOS
    BYE: BUF, HAR, MTL, OTT, TOR

Last edited by Wallflower (2/17/2020 7:27 pm)

Board footera