Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2024 7:26 pm  #1

Lineal Championships

I know I'm not extremely active on here (or at least, as active as I feel like I should be for how long I've been here and how often I'm on this site), but over the past 15 months or so, I've been working on a project (which is completely separate from the fictional sport that I've made a few threads asking for advice on, if anyone even remembers or cares lol).

For anybody that is a big fan of Boxing, you may have run into the term "Lineal Championship", which basically means it's the guy who beat the guy who beat the guy etc... going back to a specific fight in the past. Well, while I don't follow Boxing that much, I have come across it in the Soccer world, where there are Twitter/X accounts that track the Lineal Champions for both club and country on both the Men's and Women's side. After following the matches for those championships for a couple of months, I decided why not try and find the Lineal Champions for the Big 4 Leagues?

For each league, I went back and found the first official game for that league, which was actually much easier than I had imagined it would be, then simply followed the same idea as in Boxing. I would follow the current champion until they lost a game, then I would follow the team that beat them until they lost and so on until I caught up to the current date. I then make sure to update them every day that there is a match for the title.

As I worked on the Big 4 Leagues, I wondered what other leagues or sports I could do, which has led me to include College Football, the WNBA and the league I am currently working on, the Australian Football League. I have plans to include the National Rugby League down in Australia, the CFL and International Cricket down the road, but would love to hear any other suggestions that anyone might have.

Here's the link if anybody is curious to know who has it and how it got there. Also, if anyone has questions they want to ask me about it, like why I decided to put myself through all of this (especially with the MLB), I'd be more than happy to answer them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19jCKmhPlB5R_kedPt50q9L3aZ7o7hYeKghLrV9uZiP8/edit?usp=sharing

7/20/2024 8:46 pm  #2

Re: Lineal Championships

this is exactly the kind of thing that I geek out over and also exactly the kind of thing that I would start and then not finish, so kudos to you for actually going all the way through with it. that's a lot of research to do on something as completely useless as this is. there's definitely some interesting stuff in there, like how the panthers have the stanley cup but not the lineal cup (which, lol, and if I could be so bold as to say, lmao)

7/20/2024 8:58 pm  #3

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

this is exactly the kind of thing that I geek out over and also exactly the kind of thing that I would start and then not finish, so kudos to you for actually going all the way through with it. that's a lot of research to do on something as completely useless as this is. there's definitely some interesting stuff in there, like how the panthers have the stanley cup but not the lineal cup (which, lol, and if I could be so bold as to say, lmao)

Yeah it definitely is both hilarious and interesting, but it happens more often than you think. Like with the NHL, it's literally a 50/50 chance that this happens each season. Granted, it found its way into the Stanley Cup playoffs the previous 3 seasons lol, but it's still a 50/50 chance. Had the Hurricanes beaten Columbus in that last game of the regular season, then Florida would have it right now, but that's life for you.

Also, it definitely was a lot of research. It took me 6 months to get through the MLB, seeing that I had to go through 150+ seasons and 100+ games each season.

Last edited by n00bthtpwnz (7/20/2024 9:00 pm)

7/21/2024 6:52 pm  #4

Wow, this is insanely cool! Hats off to you for all the hard work

7/21/2024 7:19 pm  #5

sportsfan7 wrote:

Wow, this is insanely cool! Hats off to you for all the hard work

Thanks! I appreciate it! You'd think that I would've gone insane doing this, which was almost the case with the MLB, which took me 6 months to do, but it actually was calming at times. Just sitting down, having some sort of game on TV in the background, cranking out a couple hundred games in one sitting.

The great thing about it is I'll never actually be finished as the leagues just keep going. I do my best to watch as many of the title games live, just to add another layer of enjoyment to it for myself.

9/21/2024 7:44 am  #6

For anybody that might've been interested in this, I did create a new Twitter account where I'll try and keep up with the Lineal Championship matchups as they happen around the world. (I also created a BlueSky account, if anybody here even uses it, but my focus would preferably be with Twitter since there's a much bigger possible audience there.)

https://x.com/LinealChampsDB

Board footera