Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2020 1:06 pm  #1

Ranking the NHL Uniforms

Hello Everyone!

I appreciate you stopping by to join in the discussion of the best NHL sweaters.  I know that this concept has been done before but I needed to find out how you all felt.  This curiosity came from our AltHL design process.  I found the friction between traditional and cutting edge fascinating.  It seemed like there were two factions between those who preferred traditional markets and classic looks to those who wanted to pursue new locales with modern designs.  Through this thread I wanted to flush out the thoughts behind both schools of thought.  I am providing my rankings to get the conversation started.  

Before I begin I want to admit some of my own biases towards uniforms.  As someone who grew up in a traditional sports market and from someone who has played hockey his entire life I definitely identify with the hockey purist faction.  I wasn't a fan of expansion to non traditional markets because I viewed those moves and expansions as unearned.  I felt like there were plenty of great 'hockey' markets without teams that deserved a shot at a team.  I also viewed the move to new markets as a business decision to make hockey a national sport and not a hockey one (I was a kid at the time and that's how I felt).  Because of this the NHL has to play in places like Miami, Carolina and Phoenix who have empty buildings (unless the team is doing well).  

With that said, I have come around on newer franchises and their looks in recent years.  I can now see that moving to those markets was an investment in growing the sport and you can see it starting to pay off with more and more players coming from those places.  I say all of this because I feel like that conversation parallels how I feel about uniforms.  And I am wondering how other people feel.  Even as I was doing research for this post I found lists that I wildly disagreed with...and that's okay.  Here are my rankings with commentary below.

GROUP 1 - The Elite
I recently read a book by an economist who coined the term the Lindy Effect.  Essentially it talks about when is Old good and when is old bad.  He says that if something is perishable it is better to be new.  You'd rather new produce than rotten produce.  But if you are dealing with things that do not expire like books for example you should value things that are old.  The older that a book is (and still in the mainstream) it means that there is something inherently good about it that has stood the test of time.  Newer books may be classics but haven't had a chance to become classic yet (time will tell).  It would be safer in that case to buy the older book.  Hockey uniforms are the same in my eyes.  They are traditional for a reason.  Granted a lot of that may be tied to their success on the ice but sometimes the look is just classic.  Think Notre Dame or Michigan football uniforms, Yankees pinstripes, Dallas Cowboys helmets (I gag at the thought of praising the Cowboys).  

1. Montreal Canadiens - not just because I own the Chevs.  The belly-band is unique, the colors are classic and the look is unchanged.
2. Chicago Blackhawks - everyone puts them first and I would tend to agree.  The Red-Black combo is overused but not by them since they invented it in hockey.
3. Detroit Redwings - growing up these were my favorite - especially the white ones.
4. Philadelphia Flyers - homer bias but not really.  I think they finally landed on a solid look, they don't need to change them.
5. Pittsburgh Penguins - similarly the Pens finally went back to their early 90s uniforms.  It fits Pittsburgh, penguins, and is a unique look.

Group 2 - The Next Best

6. Blues - it is my favorite color combo for sports teams.  The Blues are the poster child in my eyes for a classic but modern redesign.  
7. Bruins - same as the Blues - a new take on a classic look.
8. Wild - not a fan of the name (still resentful that they aren't the North Stars - awesome name) but the uniforms are finally fitting of a great hockey state.
9. Maple Leafs - The uniforms are a bit bland but they are allowed to be because of Original 6.  The new leaf is awesome.
10. Rangers - wasn't sure what to do with them. I can tell they are great jerseys but I have never liked them.  
11. Islanders - finally got it right.  I believe teams should reflect their best era.  These do that.

Group 3 - So Close to Awesome

12. Canucks - great color scheme, the orca is a cool logo but not sure how to feel about it being the Canucks' logo.  
13. Oilers - if this was a few years ago the Oilers would be in my top 5 maybe top 3.  I love the old royal blue Oilers jerseys.  I thought it criminal for them to abandon them to go to navy like everyone else.
14. Hurricanes - I am glad they went back closer to their original duds.  The warning flag pattern was an awesome touch back in the day.  When you are a new team you are allowed and encouraged to do something differently (just don't abandon or change too much - it hurts the brand) more on this in a bit.
15. Avalanche - The original Avs jerseys were so cool.  I loved the numbers and the big foot.  Let's go back to that.  
16. Devils - I personally love the devils look.  I am not a fan of no waist band.  I feel like if you are going to do a redesign like the devils did why would you only do it so slightly?  Doesn't make sense to me.
17. Sabres - go back to Royal blue (which they are) and they'll make a big jump.

Group 4 - Growing On Me

18. Jets - All of a sudden this year I was watching a game with the Jets and was like, "Since when do I like these uniforms?" That happens when a team has been around a while.  With that said, the throwbacks that they bring out every once and a while are amazing! 
19. Golden Knights - I like the logo, the uniforms were different but I have really started to like their look.  I am interested to see what the gold alternates will look like.

Group 5 - Go Back to What Was
20. Coyotes - They are the poster child for the Lindy Effect.  They had the kachina uniforms which were strange but awesome back in the day.  Then they grew a little outdated so they changed them (not a bad look honestly) but everything that was cool comes back to being cool and that is what they are experiencing with the Pro-Kachina protests.  They are the perfect example of why new teams shouldn't change uniforms.  By staying true to your look you establish credibility and an identity.  For example, let's use the Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers as an example.  Which team do you take more seriously? The Panthers.  But the two teams (with the exception of Carolina's two Super Bowl bids) have had around the same amount of success over the years.  The difference is that Carolina kept their look and the Jags felt like they needed to be weird and 'cutting edge' to attract fans.  
21. Sharks - these are good but I think their originals are one of the best looks ever.  They are in need of a Blues - modern classic upgrade.
22. Panthers - again, not bad but I really liked their original look.  They were classic but definitely 'Florida'.
23. Stars - their colors are one of my favorite color combos.  But the ones they wore when they won the cup were so unique.
24. Ducks - they could be in the growing on me group - especially with the duck head alternate.  But as a kid of the 90s I miss the Mighty Ducks.

Group 6 - Too Modern (created a shelf life for themselves)
Pay attention the looks that last are the ones that aren't slaves to current trends.  Where are the uniforms that looked like they were straight out of the 70s? Or the cartoon craze of the 90s? Or the BFBS of the early 2000s? The Reebok Edge of the 2000s with all the unnecessary piping? They're all gone.  So if you are investing in new uniforms why waste it on something you know won't be cool in a few years (I'm talking to you Falcons with the new gradient)

25. Predators - Actually they barely belong in the category.  But not sure where to put them.  Bold to choose yellow.  I personally like the name and logo.
26. Capitals - Success has made these popular.  But their original uniforms scream Washington to me.  Too much piping for long term staying power.
27. Kings - they almost went back to their 90s look but stopped short.  
28. Blue Jackets - I really like the logo but the uniforms aren't that special.  They are like the Rangers and Capitals love child.

Group 7 - Just Nope
29. Lightning -  I can see to change the original set.  But their black and royal blue color scheme was unique to the entire league.  Why did they leave that to copy two teams from their division (Detroit and Toronto)?  I am not typically a fan of the singular sounding names but I like Lightning a lot.
30. Flames - their classics are perfect.  Why is it taking them so long to realize it.
31. Senators - their 90s look is good, so is their 'O' set, I actually like their logo but why are we rolling with such an inferior set.  

Anyway that was a long post, I apologize but you all got me thinking about it.  What are your thoughts.  I am willing to be swayed.

4/10/2020 10:43 pm  #2

Re: Ranking the NHL Uniforms

From someone who only watched the Stanley Cup and can't tell you have of the teams actual jersey designs, and only maybe occasionally forgets the Ottawa Senators exist, heres my list:

Top Tier:
Blackhawks
Maple Leafs
Red Wings
Bruins
Stars

Pretty Good Tier
Islanders
Bruins
Kings
Canadiens
Canucks
Lightning
Coyotes
Knights

Mediocre Tier:
Penguins
Wild
Rangers
Avalanche
Hurricanes
Jets
Jackets

Could be Improved Tier:
Flyers
Blues
Sabres
Devils
Panthers
Oilers

Hit the Restart Button Tier:
Ducks
Sharks
Senators
Capitals
Flames

4/11/2020 1:38 am  #3

I'm not a huge hockey nerd, despite my involvement in several hockey endeavors, so this will be based on recent reaction to team's looks. I'm more of a traditionalist by nature but by no means a hockey purist since I think my following of hockey came on late even though I always loved the sport. I never played ice hockey but I was a damn good roller hockey player as a kid. Haha. Here we go with what is hitting my creative design eye right now.

Top Five

1 - Maple Leafs - They're simple yet somehow classy in a way that probably will never be matched. Their number font and logo are so simple yet so strong. When I think of hockey, these are always a standout for me.
2 - Blackhawks - Similarly to Toronto, the Blackhawks have a classic look that has stood the test of time. I agree, they did black and red first and do it best.
3 - Canadiens - It's a classic that nobody else has matched. (nice try, Florida)
4 - Penguins - I'm probably a homer but I really think the Pens found a look that stands out, even with the Bruins sporting the same scheme. 
5 - Blues - I think the white sweater is a top-3 look in the league. I'm typically not a fan of double outlines but they always work very well for St. Louis. 

The Next Five

6 - Bruins - While Pittsburgh and Boston fight over the color scheme, it's still a darn good one and their set looks fantastic.
7 - Oilers - Personally I love the orange. I think they do it very well. 
8 - Jets - While the logo isn't particularly exciting, their uniforms are sneaky good. The double blue is fantastic. Not a huge fan of slanted numbers but I think they work for them.
9 - Avalanche - I don't know about others, but like their current set. I think it's unique and has a better color balance than previous versions. The new number font is 100x better.
10 - Stars - I love the color scheme and uniforms and striping. Minuses for the logo which continues to use outdated bevels.

The Above-Average Five

11 - Red Wings - Honestly, I'll probably get flak for this but I've always thought Detroit's sweaters were lame. Take away the history and they look like mom bought her kids some sweaters off the clearance rack.
12 - Canucks - I like the color scheme. They look good. Maybe not great. 
13 - Devils - Honestly, this set would be way higher if they'd kept the straight hem stripe. Adidas killed a top-5 look with going with the thin trim.
14 - Wild - I want to love their sweaters but to me they fall just short of great. Props for a great color scheme. 
15 - Golden Knights - Major props to Vegas for figuring out a way to come up with a new color scheme for the league and wear it well. Nice logo and some good-looking uniforms to start off their existence. 

The Middle Five

16 - Sabres - While some fans pine for the royal blue days (a look I also love) I think the current duds look great.
17 - Rangers - I like the drop shadowed numbers, they're a classic. The striping is good. 
18 - Kings - Black and white is a great color scheme. Nothing about it screams "LA" to me but I think their sweaters have grown on me recently.
19 - Islanders - They've had some dumb looks in their day, but I think this set is really classy.
20 - Predators - Their usage of yellow is A+. The striping is very average and the number font, though I understand the 6-strings and all that, doesn't do it for me. Good logo, scheme, need new uniforms. 

The High Five for Effort

21 - Hurricanes - They just don't do it for me. I like the flag sublimation. The striping is good. I think it's the shade of red and the numbers that I don't like.
22 - Coyotes - While the Kachina will always be amazing, the rest is very average to me.
23 - Flyers - Their sweaters always strike me as messy. I think it's the name plate and TV numbers.
24 - Sharks - I really like the teal. It stands out. But I always think their uniforms are so dull. 
25 - Capitals - If they weren't good on the ice I don't think anyone would buy these sweaters. They're so uninspired. The half-shaped striping on the sleeves bother me.

The Worst of the Rest

26 - Blue Jackets - Very forgettable set. The alternate is unique but the rest of the set screams mediocre.
27 - Flames - The alternate set is "fire". The rest of it is a total mess.
28 - Panthers - I appreciate the chest stripe but these uniforms don't do anything for me. Plain Jane, nobody knows your name.
29 - Lightning - They look like Toronto knockoffs that somebody bought on Ebay from some dude who made them in his mom's basement.
30 - Ducks - I hate the numbers, the striping, the amount of colors, the actual colors. The only thing saving this from bottom status is the mighty duck logo on the alternate. 
31 - Senators - Most forgettable uniforms in the league. I like the logo but the uniforms are so bland.

That was tough. Honestly I could probably go either way on a lot of these. I feel good about my rankings for the top five and the bottom six though.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

4/18/2020 6:48 pm  #4

I like your lists.  And roller hockey is awesome.  My leanings for a roller hockey league would skew in the non traditional direction (complete opposite).

4/27/2020 8:43 pm  #5

I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but I keep up with the NHL, especially uniform and logo changes. I tend to prefer the traditional looks, but I don't mind a modern look as long as its not overtly gaudy. Since the end of the BFBS days in the 2000s, the NHL is probably my favorite league aesthetically out of the Big 4.

Best of the Best
1. Penguins - I love the updated uniforms. The vegas gold never really did it for me. They get the nod over the Bruins since I prefer their striping pattern and they balance the yellow better. 
2. Blues - I really like the Blues current color scheme. The double blue works really well together and yellow is a great accent color.
3. Islanders - the shade of blue could be a little lighter imo, but still a classic uniform set. 
4. Blackhawks - another classic set. Not much to say. 
5. Maple Leafs - yet another classic set. The blue/white color scheme works much better here than with the Lightning.

Really Good
6. Canucks - the argument over the orca logo continues on, but their uniforms are lovely. I don't mind the arched name over the logo and the color scheme is gorgeous. 
7. Stars - their uniform update a few years ago was great as well. Love the brighter green although the logo is just ok. 
8. Bruins - another really good black-and-yellow set. Not much more to say.
9. Avalanche - the return to the old striping was a welcome surprise when the uniforms released. Not crazy about the font, but I like the color scheme and, of course, the hem stripe.
10. Golden Knights- I was surprised how much I liked these sets when they first released. I love the sleeve stripes and their away jersey is one of my favorite in the league. 
11. Flyers - I really like these jerseys, the only knock for me is the white nameplate that sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Good, but not great
12. Red Wings - how much is too simple? These are a classic set that should never be changed, but they are a little basic compared to some other uniforms.
13. Canadiens - similar to the Red Wings, these should never be changed. I have to admit though, I've never been a huge fan of center jersey stripes. Their away is beautiful though. 
14. Jets - a little navy heavy, but a good set. 
15. Oilers - not bad by any stretch of the imagination, and I like the orange, but the move to navy was disappointing. Would look better with the royal blue they had before.
16. Sharks - I've always loved the teal, but I think I'd like their set more with a hem stripe. 
17. Rangers - a classic set yes, but the drop shadow is really just a weird design choice. Points for being unique I guess.
18. Devils - they over-simplified their set, but it still looks good.

Average
19. Coyotes - I don't mind this set, and I think they balance the colors well, but there's nothing special about them. Their current set was an upgrade over the previous one though, but they're missing an opportunity to use sand as a color. 
20. Wild - I don't mind this set in theory, but the jersey stripe is unnecessary. The tan number also throws me off.
21. Sabres - I'm trying to not judge jerseys off of previous ones, but they really need to go to a lighter blue. An okay set.
22. Lightning - too simple, they should use more black. There are no blue/black/white teams in the NHL right now.

Below Average
23. Predators - I don't mind having yellow as the primary color, but there is a lot of it here, especially when they wear yellow helmets. The font is a little tacky too. I get what they are trying to do but it doesn't work.
24. Capitals - maybe this is unfair, but I hate the logo. It looks so cluttered over what would be an average jersey. The piping was fixed but I'm still not a piping fan.
25. Hurricanes - this pains me because I still think their current set is an upgrade. But, the overly black hem doesn't work. They also should have went full-on with hurricane striping (no half measures!), mirrored the thin black stripe at the top, and left the bottom of the hem red. Then this would move up a few tiers.
26. Kings - they really should embrace purple, but the piping does not work. Also, the number font is ugly. 
27. Blue Jackets - more bad piping, and the red piping looks bad over the navy. Not a fan.

Bad
28. Panthers - they belong in a tier in between below average and bad. The elimination of navy was bad (I've been bashing navy but this set's color balance is out of wack) and the tan does not work on the red. Also, unnecessary jersey stripe. 
29. Senators - a really dated and boring set. The Senators need a rebrand bad imo. 
30. Flames - the side paneling on these jerseys are atrocious. I don't mind the black C as much as some people, but this jersey is all over the place.
31. Ducks - ironically, I'm not a big fan of the Mighty Ducks jerseys either. But the Ducks have been in an identity crisis for a while now. The arm stripes are too much, and why are the shoulders seperated by an orange outline? Also the side paneling is awful. 

8/20/2020 8:48 pm  #6

8/20/2020 11:09 pm  #7

I actually agree with that list for the most part, there were some exceptions though

- Washington's alt should not be down at 77
- Columbus's away is a top 5 away jersey imo, should not be 70
- St. Louis's throwback is easily a bottom 10 jersey, shouldn't be 65
- Vancouver's alt needs to be burned and should not be ranked as high as 60
- The Kachina is way better than 31

Board footera