Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2020 8:17 pm  #961

Re: AltHL Legacy

I am proud to say that Balu's Philadelphia Founders are the number 3 of the Legacy Project.  In only seven playoff seasons the Founders walked away with four Adams Cups.  They won the East Division four times and tacked on two Gritty Cups.  

The Founders were nearly identical to Halifax.  It was practically a coin flip.  The extra Gritty Cup put the Founders over the top.  

Mark Messier is a future Pantheon member. Mike Richter and Henrik Lundqvist were stellar goalies for the Founders.  Fun fact: Richter played for my club hockey team (way before me but still).  The only founder MVP however Brian Leetch.  

Brian Leetch is our next inductee into the AltHL Pantheon.  He was a key leader on three championship teams. He won an MVP Award and was a 4x All Star.  

8/27/2020 8:33 pm  #962

Darn, so no Rovers in the Pantheon beyond the token consideration of Gretzky.

8/27/2020 9:52 pm  #963

Darknes wrote:

Darn, so no Rovers in the Pantheon beyond the token consideration of Gretzky.

I put in a shot in the dark vote for Pronger. Because no one was scarier than Chris Pronger on the blue line.

Beukeboom as part of an All Time team? Get Jesse Pollock on the phone!!!!

And welcome to the Pantheon, Brian Joseph Leetch.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (8/27/2020 9:54 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/28/2020 9:00 am  #964

People may be tired of Boston winning so many championships unfortunately the AltHL followed suit. The Boston Rovers come in as the second ranked team in the Legacy Project.  They were one of two teams that won 5 championships during the project.  They won 6 division titles (the graphic is missing two) and one Gritty Cup.

They were a consistent franchise that outperformed their NHL counterpart.  The Blues actually had a long playoff streak during this playoff era.  The problem with the Blues IRL was that there was a logjam of dominant teams like the Wings, Avs, Stars above them.  The Blues won 0 titles in this time period, the Rovers won 5! 

Owned by Darknes, I know he was disappointed the Pronger or MacInnis were not inducted into the Pantheon.  Technically they had a half of a season share of Wayne Gretzky.  All hope was lost as there was no one else to enter the Pantheon except...

BRETT HULL has been inducted to the AltHL Pantheon.  Brett Hull was on the outside looking in after the first decade of the Legacy Project. But his contributions in the second decade put him over the edge.  Believe it not, Hull was an underrated superstar.  Hull ranks second in all time AltHL goals behind Jaromir Jagr.  Hull made the All Star team 4x with the Rovers.  He won three Adams Cups with Boston.  Then he moved on to Los Angeles where he scored the goal to win the Adams Cup in OT.  After three years in LA he moved on to Toronto where he was a veteran influence on another two championship teams.  

8/28/2020 9:09 am  #965

I was reading this even after I was banned. No need to catch up here, but fantastic job on the legacy project! All the teams did great as well, thank you Gritty for this fantastic time!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

8/28/2020 2:52 pm  #966

We have finally reached the top spot in our Legacy Rankings.  The Toronto Terriers were, of course, going to be in the top spot. Their titles, consistency, Pantheon members, and shear dominance.  Owned by ThisIsFine, the Terriers have a lot to live up to in 2020.  What a perfect time period to be linked up with the Redwings.  

It took a couple of years to get the Big Red Train moving but once it did it was a powerful and unforgiving locomotive.  They won 919 games during the Legacy Project.  That is 62 wins above 2nd place Minnesota and over 120 before the third place team.  They made the playoffs 18 out of the 20 seasons.  They had a playoff record of 74-63.  Most impressively, they won 7 Gritty Cups for the best record across both leagues.  That means they were the #1 team 7 times - there are 8 teams that made the playoffs 7 or fewer times.  They also went to the finals four times and lost. That means they made the finals 9 times out of 20 seasons. 

Chris Osgood is such an underrated goaltender.  He won GOY in 2006.  The Terriers won the MVP four times.  They also led the way with 31 different All Stars.  The Terriers were known for scouting European talent.  They were famous for the Russian 5.  Then they had a number of Swedes that led the way later in the Project.  

STEVE YZERMAN is our next inductee the AltHL Pantheon.  Gretzky and Sakic were slam dunks for their dominance.  Yzerman was my pick for his consistency but also his leadership on the league's most dominant team.

NICKLAS LIDSTROM - was their any doubt? He made the all star game 11 times.  That's over half of the seasons of the Legacy Project.

With that said here is inaugural class of the AltHL Pantheon.

That means we have come to the conclusion of the AltHL Legacy Project.  Thank you everyone for your participation and fan hood.  I personally can't believe how fast the last 20 seasons have flown by.  I know for me it has really helped  during the Covid and 2020 craziness, I hope it has for you as well.

With our league's past in the rear view I am excited to look ahead toward the fun times we have in front of us with the AltHL.  I am looking forward to seeing the success of both the AltHL and AltFL and the hopeful debuts of the AltBA and the AltLB.  

Now It is time for a new era...

8/28/2020 3:02 pm  #967

This has been SO much fun...I was hoping to get a team which'd have a legacy of strong goalies, and that's exactly what I got here!

Ready for the IRL offseason and the Draft to both start and...wait a minute...was that our first announcement that the AltLB and AltBA could indeed be on the way?

Last edited by Burmy87 (8/28/2020 3:03 pm)

8/28/2020 3:03 pm  #968

Congrats to the Terriers! Their dominance was insane and their pride was incredible!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

8/28/2020 3:08 pm  #969

Congrats to the Terriers, the Red Wings were the perfect team to be matched up with. I may not have had the best Legacy luck, but I'll be sure to dominate in the real thing. As for the AltBA and AltLB... I can't wait!

8/28/2020 3:10 pm  #970

Unreal job Gritty! This has been a great success and I'm excited to be able to lead the Arrows back to the top. 

Board footera