Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2020 6:36 am  #941

Re: AltHL Legacy

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, there won’t even be an expansion for at least 1 real world hockey season. It seems a lot of people from the outside looking in think the expansion is right around the corner when we haven’t played 1 game yet. To clarify for all the “I apply as an owner” individuals, this is an actual fantasy league with some makeup on it to be more immersive and fun. It is not just some random sim where you get to call a team. (This isn’t directed at you Guard, you seem to have a grasp of it. It is more for those who found this wayyy after the fact and might not know we actually kind of own and will make decisions at some point.)

Well, I have been here since the first post as a luker. I signed up a bit later, but I've been here.

Gritty wrote:

The Legacy Project simply reflects the twenty years that preceded our first AltHL season.  The 2020 season will be the year that the CHL and AHA officially merge.  Any potential expansion teams of the future would join the AltHL.  So to answer your question the rosters would start with the modern day player pool.  Since the AltHL is a dynasty/keeper league the 18 teams will be able to keep as many players as they are able or desire to (more on this later).  Any unkept players will join the player pool for the draft.  At the draft, some teams may have 6 spots to fill while others may need to fill 11 spots. The expansion teams would come into the draft completely fresh.  Like I said though, we will discuss that process more when the time comes.

Ok, sweet Now I can start planning for if/when I get a team. Sheary,McDavid, Pageau...

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (8/26/2020 6:38 am)

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/26/2020 8:40 am  #942

Moving away from expansion talk and back to the past.  #7 on our list are the New York Gargoyles.  Titletown USA? They were the first champion in AHA history.  The Gargoyles surged in the later years with a tough and bruising style to win 2 more Adams Cups and 5 East Division crowns.  The next ten years would have been kind to the 'Goyles.  

People often forget that Joe Thornton who has become a Shark legend was a real force as the Captain of the Gargoyles.  He won two MVP Awards.  Additionally, Tuukka Rask and Byron Dafoe added GOY Awards on their own.  They rank third with the most All Stars.  

RAY BOURQUE is our next inductee into the AltHL Pantheon.  Ray Bourque was the face of the Gargoyles during the first decade (not to mention the ten years prior).  During that time he was named an all star 7 times.  Bourque would then leave to go to Montreal where he would win his second Adams. 

Last edited by Gritty (8/26/2020 8:41 am)

8/26/2020 9:25 am  #943

Nice!  We'll take 8th place!  Yeah, the Titans really did have several opportunities to win many titles, but never could quite get to the top of the pile!

8/26/2020 9:35 am  #944

To think, I could've owned the 'Goyles. Oh well, I bear my loser label with pride, as does everyone of the Hockey Mountains.

Last edited by QCS (8/26/2020 9:51 am)

8/26/2020 9:39 am  #945

QCS wrote:

To think, I could've owned the 'Goyles. Oh well, I bear by loser label with pride, as does everyone of the Hockey Mountains.

I like to think that the Bighorns were a very successful team prior to our Legacy project, and came on some rough times for this 20 year window. It just makes sense to me with the unique striping on the jerseys.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/26/2020 9:51 am  #946

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

To think, I could've owned the 'Goyles. Oh well, I bear by loser label with pride, as does everyone of the Hockey Mountains.

I like to think that the Bighorns were a very successful team prior to our Legacy project, and came on some rough times for this 20 year window. It just makes sense to me with the unique striping on the jerseys.

You know what, I like your interpretation. I have to agree with you, the Bigs just missed out on some success.

8/26/2020 9:55 am  #947

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

You know what, I like your interpretation. I have to agree with you, the Bigs just missed out on some success.

It was a swing and a miss.

And welcome to the Pantheon, Raymond Jean Bourque.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (8/27/2020 10:41 am)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/26/2020 2:16 pm  #948

Just outside the top five at #6 - The Vancouver Glaciers.  The Glaciers have the unique honor of being the first team selected in Alt Sports History.  3pointtally owns the Glaciers and has guided them to great success during the Legacy Project.  The Three-Tone Blues have won three Canadian Shields.  They made the playoffs in 12 out of the 20 seasons.  It would have been more if there was a West Division in the CHL.  

Their two titles were thanks to great goaltending by Ron Hextall and the Legion of Doom (Lindros, LeClair and Renberg).  They had more than four All Stars as the image says.

As a Flyers fan I was a closet Glaciers fan throughout the project. I also wish the Glaciers could rub off on the IRL Flyers.  

That means our Top 5 is composed of Boston, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Toronto and Halifax (in no particular order).  How will they shake out?

8/26/2020 3:05 pm  #949

I think it goes something like this..with 3 and 4 being interchangeable
5: Minnesota, always consistent but ever the Bridesmaid and only the bride once
4. Philadelphia: A very healthy 4 titles..but they also fell off in the later half of the project
3. Halifax: Bit of a weird one..but they also had a dark age but they had some good players.
2. Boston: One of two teams with 5 Championships, but nowhere near the number of all-stars as number one
1. Toronto: Enough said

8/26/2020 3:28 pm  #950

My Top 5
1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Minnesota
5. Halifax

Board footera