Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2020 3:41 pm  #931

Re: AltHL Legacy

The Wranglers would be a rather tough team to rate for sure.  I'd have thought that with 3 championships, they'd be near top 5 material (not knowing how many teams have won 3 championships off hand), but yeah they only made the playoffs 7 times.  Talk about maximizing your opportunities!  Can't imagine anyone else had such a high championship/playoff appearance ratio!

8/25/2020 5:10 pm  #932

The Chevaliers started off the Legacy Project as low as they possibly could have. They strung together three of the worst seasons in AltHL history.  Luckily for Gritty and the Chevs organization they capitalized on their misfortunes by drafting effectively and pulling off a number of blockbuster deals.  

They completed a massive draft day deal with the Glaciers.  They sent the rights to Eric Lindros to Vancouver in exchange for a number of key pieces including Peter Forsberg.  They fleeced the Dragons for goaltender Patrick Roy.  They also solidified their blue line by acquiring Rob Blake and Ray Bourque from Quebec and New York respectively.  

All of those pieces culminated in a championship run in 2006 and then again in 2011. They also won two Gritty Cups in that span.  They rank fifth all time in wins.  Which is impressive considering how they only won 48 games in their first three seasons.

The Red Rouge Rivalry took center stage many times during the project.  The Chevs faced the Terriers 7 times in the postseason, that included 3 times in the finals. The Terriers dominance spoiled many of the Chevs most successful season.  The Terriers leave Chevs fans with a simple question to ponder heading to 2020, "What If?". 

JOE SAKIC is our next inductee to the AltHL Pantheon.  He won three MVP awards, captained two Shield Winning Teams, and was the only captain for all 20 seasons of the Legacy Project.  The Chevs have two other players who made the Pantheon but as members of other teams.

8/25/2020 7:41 pm  #933

If nothing else, I guess that the Wranglers won more Shields than the Rouge Terror. I agree with the higher ranking for the Chevs, they just did more winning overall.

8/25/2020 8:16 pm  #934

As we get closer and closer to the top 5..I think the Top five end up being in no particular order. Boston, Philly, Halifax, Vancouver and obviously Toronto. 

8/25/2020 8:22 pm  #935

JamHeronArk wrote:

If nothing else, I guess that the Wranglers won more Shields than the Rouge Terror. I agree with the higher ranking for the Chevs, they just did more winning overall.

It was tough. Honestly the middle of the rankings were the most difficult part for me. Ultimately I considered the Chevs consistency, Gritty Cups, and other finals appearances. It was a tough call though for sure. 

8/25/2020 8:29 pm  #936

Empirically speaking the AHA East was the power of the Legacy Project. With teams like Boston, Philly, New York and  even Charlotte there were not many wildcard spots or Adams Cups left for the West Division.  Fighting the good fight however were the Titans. Undoubtedly the flag bearer for the division.  

The Titans rank third in all time wins. They finished one win shy of the 800 win plateau.  They won two early Adams Cups in 2004 and 2009.  They then went on to appear in another four finals in the second decade of the project. LA was a spot for the revitalization of the careers of legends Ed Belfour and Brett Hull.  The Purple and Gold won 9 division titles as well as two Gritty Cups. 

Underrated was their goalie Marty Turco who led the way in the latter of the project.  The team, owned by Stickman comes in at #8, over Montreal and Calgary because of their consistency and impressive win total.  If they had managed to win one or more of the four finals losses they could have possibly made it to the top 5.  But for now, going into 2020 the Titans sit comfortably in the Top 10.  

8/25/2020 8:49 pm  #937

LA was always the Western torch it seemed. But they were still a great team all the way.

Also, welcome to the Pantheon, Joseph Steven Sakic.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/25/2020 9:52 pm  #938

So gritty, will the expansion draft be from the era that we're in for the legacy project, or are all modern day players like Hughes and McDavid suddenly around? You might have already answered, and if so, I apologize.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/25/2020 10:34 pm  #939

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

So gritty, will the expansion draft be from the era that we're in for the legacy project, or are all modern day players like Hughes and McDavid suddenly around? You might have already answered, and if so, I apologize.

The Legacy Project simply reflects the twenty years that preceded our first AltHL season.  The 2020 season will be the year that the CHL and AHA officially merge.  Any potential expansion teams of the future would join the AltHL.  So to answer your question the rosters would start with the modern day player pool.  Since the AltHL is a dynasty/keeper league the 18 teams will be able to keep as many players as they are able or desire to (more on this later).  Any unkept players will join the player pool for the draft.  At the draft, some teams may have 6 spots to fill while others may need to fill 11 spots. The expansion teams would come into the draft completely fresh.  Like I said though, we will discuss that process more when the time comes.

8/25/2020 11:44 pm  #940

Correct me if I’m wrong, there won’t even be an expansion for at least 1 real world hockey season. It seems a lot of people from the outside looking in think the expansion is right around the corner when we haven’t played 1 game yet. To clarify for all the “I apply as an owner” individuals, this is an actual fantasy league with some makeup on it to be more immersive and fun. It is not just some random sim where you get to call a team. (This isn’t directed at you Guard, you seem to have a grasp of it. It is more for those who found this wayyy after the fact and might not know we actually kind of own and will make decisions at some point.)

Board footera