Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2020 8:47 pm  #171

Re: AltHL - Owner Draft and Beyond

JamHeronArk wrote:

I put together a map of the teams so far; only Seattle's farm teams are missing.
This is the map.

Thanks for taking the time to do that...looks great.  Will be a helpful tool for us in the future.

4/14/2020 8:50 pm  #172

JamHeronArk wrote:

QCS wrote:

JamHeronArk wrote:

I put together a map of the teams so far; only Seattle's farm teams are missing.
This is the map.

I don't have access to the map. I requested access, maybe it's not set to public?

You hit the nail on the head. My bad. It should be fixed now.

Oh man, there's just nothing between Winnipeg and Los Angeles. I suppose part of that is my own fault but oh man should that area be an expansion target. Kansas City, anyone?

4/14/2020 9:03 pm  #173

QCS wrote:

Oh man, there's just nothing between Winnipeg and Los Angeles. I suppose part of that is my own fault but oh man should that area be an expansion target. Kansas City, anyone?

Unless we see something wild from the 'Wolves, the Mounts seem poised to have a decently sized market. Travel, on the other hand...

4/14/2020 9:32 pm  #174

JamHeronArk wrote:

QCS wrote:

Unless we see something wild from the 'Wolves, the Mounts seem poised to have a decently sized market. Travel, on the other hand...

Well I think the Bighorns have the largest swath of territory: Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Arizona, Idaho, South Dakota, and even Missouri and Nevada could be claimed as part of my territory. Literally the only other team remotely close to the Bighorns is the AA Mounts, of which would be no TV threat. 

4/14/2020 9:51 pm  #175

Big thanks to 3point for making the Logos/Jerseys for me. 

I now present, the Maine Trawlers, a Trawler is a type of fishing boat that's used for a variety of purposes up along the coast.

We also have the New Hampshire Mountain Men, who have a State Flag alternate to go with their set. 

4/14/2020 10:11 pm  #176

QCS wrote:

Well I think the Bighorns have the largest swath of territory: Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Arizona, Idaho, South Dakota, and even Missouri and Nevada could be claimed as part of my territory. Literally the only other team remotely close to the Bighorns is the AA Mounts, of which would be no TV threat. 

On a semirelated note, here is the same map, but with triangles drawn between each team and its affiliates. In a world where each team wants to have local affiliates, overlapping triangles aren't good. In this world, maybe it's a sign you need to have a rivalry.

Some teams and their affiliates almost form a line. Indianapolis is 9.56 mi away from being colinear with Chicago and Daytona. I created a new metric, equilaterality, roughly defined as the measure of how close a triangle is to being equilateral. (Calculated by (Shortest distance from a point to the opposite side / Perimeter of triangle) / (3^.5)), formatted as a percent) Chicago's triangle is the least equilateral and most linear at 0.29%, while LA and Winnipeg follow at 0.50% and 0.53%, respectively. The most equilateral are Quebec and Boston at 13.63% and 11.65%, respectively.

The teams with triangle perimeters less than 500 can be seen to have local affiliates. San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland, Minnesota, Charlotte, and New York all fit this bill. Teams with a 1000 mile or longer perimeter likely have a team or two out of market, like most MLB teams.

Vancouver's triangle, the largest by perimeter and area, engulfs Minnesota's completely. Montreal's engulfs Philly, NY, Boston, and Halifax's triangles completely.

Did I need to do this? No. Should I have? It remains to be seen. Did I? Yes.

4/14/2020 10:44 pm  #177

DENVER, CO, WASHINGTON, DC, & GREENSBORO, NC - In a simultaneous press release, team officials for the Denver Bighorns, Washington Blossoms, and Greensboro Civics have announced "The Path to the Bigs", the minor league farm system that Bighorns players will go through before hitting the majors. 

Owner QCS was asked about his ambitious plan to tie three distant cities together through hockey. "Well, it's simple: the Path starts in Greensboro, the Gate City, as the Gate. Then, Washington is the middle step, the Capital. Finally, players arrive in Denver, home of the Bigs. Despite this, I wanted to create locally unique and bright identities, which will all receive a spotlight when we have jerseys to share with you all. That said, we do have logos to share today."

The AA Greensboro Civics, named after the important sit-ins that took place in Greensboro during the Civil Rights Movement, take their colors from the city flag, promoting civic pride. The logo takes the shape of a simple dual-color shield, protecting the weak and innocent and standing for justice. The G In the center of the shield reminds every player that dons this jersey who they fight for: Greensboro.

The AAA Washington Blossoms, named after the beautiful flowers that sweep the city every spring, take plenty of influence from the vaporwave movement that swept the Internet. Bright colors reminiscent of an Arizona Tea can and classic Arial wordmarks ensures that this team does not go unnoticed. Be prepared for bright, loud, yet nostalgic jerseys. 

QCS told reporters "The idea for the Path came to me while I was designing the Civics. I thought about how the Major Leagues in baseball are called the "Bigs" and my team is the "Big"horns. It's just a little pun that developed into a concept that ties these teams and cities together inextricably."

"I'm not just committed to Denver, but Washington and Greensboro, as well. I believe that with this kind of linking, players will feel like part of the community wherever they go, and never feel like a demotion is a punishment, but instead a chance to improve and maybe see some old friends."

4/14/2020 10:54 pm  #178

That Blossoms brand is just..gorgeous well done!

4/14/2020 11:08 pm  #179

JamHeronArk wrote:

QCS wrote:

On a semirelated note, here is the same map, but with triangles drawn between each team and its affiliates. In a world where each team wants to have local affiliates, overlapping triangles aren't good. In this world, maybe it's a sign you need to have a rivalry.

Some teams and their affiliates almost form a line. Indianapolis is 9.56 mi away from being colinear with Chicago and Daytona. I created a new metric, equilaterality, roughly defined as the measure of how close a triangle is to being equilateral. (Calculated by (Shortest distance from a point to the opposite side / Perimeter of triangle) / (3^.5)), formatted as a percent) Chicago's triangle is the least equilateral and most linear at 0.29%, while LA and Winnipeg follow at 0.50% and 0.53%, respectively. The most equilateral are Quebec and Boston at 13.63% and 11.65%, respectively.

The teams with triangle perimeters less than 500 can be seen to have local affiliates. San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland, Minnesota, Charlotte, and New York all fit this bill. Teams with a 1000 mile or longer perimeter likely have a team or two out of market, like most MLB teams.

Vancouver's triangle, the largest by perimeter and area, engulfs Minnesota's completely. Montreal's engulfs Philly, NY, Boston, and Halifax's triangles completely.

Did I need to do this? No. Should I have? It remains to be seen. Did I? Yes.

Interesting! Where does Denver fall into both of those metrics?

Darknes wrote:

That Blossoms brand is just..gorgeous well done!

Thank you! I really hope I can continue that into the jerseys.

4/14/2020 11:10 pm  #180

Good Job both Darknes and QCS on the brands, love the vibrant Blossoms and that Maine brand is stellar.

Also, JamHeronArk, all of that is freaking cool, love it! 
I find lots of joy looking at maps so I get it.

Board footera