Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2020 1:01 pm  #1

The glorious history of the North American Baseball Federation

Coronavirus got me out of a job for a few months. So, I was bored and decided to check up on my OOTP18 save file that has over 60 simulated seasons that I’ve had for over 5 years. I thought it’d be great to manually upload every teams “all-time team” to MLB The Show… because why not. While doing this I realized “what’s the point of doing it if only I know who they are?” I decided why not just post write-ups and reports of each season, I have enough seasons to keep me occupied for a while. Plus, I won’t continue simulating until I finish the manual uploading to MLB the Show (I mean creating every single player by hand). 

For context of the league, which is limited as I created this save file when I was 14 on OOTP-I-don’t-even-know. But I remember I wanted a league that would eventually span across North America and to grow the game world-wide. I started with 6 teams in one conference, and eventually expanded as I saw fit or to further the game. I also would fiddle in the games code at times, making players better or making players from random nations occur more frequently. At times this worked great (Guatemala is now a baseball powerhouse, while Italy and Germany are supplying their own good players) or horribly at times when I accidently make a player so good it broke the game so I break them back(Matt Taylor, Antonio Gallino, Abdul-Ra’uf Jalal, Allen James, Makoto Hayashi). As well as I get players from random South American or European nations that I make better, though it doesn’t always work; injuries, morale, and work ethic still play a major part and I don’t adjust those. Nor do I always make every player good, I like to see the world progress in its own ways. I also made the mistake of changing how many games were played each season, multiple times. I started at 50, as I wanted to see how stats were like for less games, then at some point decided to go all the way up to 88 on an expansion season… mistakes were made… Currently they play 68 games a season and I will not change that again. But that does mean players from the 50-game era have significantly weaker counting stats compared to those that play currently or those that played during the 88 game seasons. Averages are also higher for batting champions then compared to the MLB, it seems every season someone is hitting at least .375, and I see .400+ all the times, sometimes a handful in one season. Home Runs go up and down, sometimes 15 leads the league, sometimes 27. 30 is legend tier, only 7 players have done so in a single season, with 3 of them doing it twice, yet 33 home runs are the record* (that’s a big asterisk there). All in all, this save file has kept me occupied for years, and I’m hoping that sharing it will maybe bring a joy to others in this time. 

I would also like to note, before I start posting the first season, that a glitch has appeared for the first handful of seasons where it shows only 10 or less players for each team, roughly 4-6 batters, this stays like this until season 3 or so. Unsure why but figured I would mention it as it’s a strange glitch, luckily, it still shows all the good players that I can remember. 

The first season will be up shortly

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/20/2020 1:30 pm  #2

Re: The glorious history of the North American Baseball Federation

(as another forewarning. The games files are a bit weird for the first 3-5 seasons. So, I can’t show everything as a lot of players are missing and stats don’t add up, as I think batters were used as pitchers and vice versa, but the game won’t give me batter’s pitching stats if they did pitch. Plus, some players got flat out deleted at times before I fixed the game settings around the 10th season) (oh and also, should be obvious, but I did not create any of the logos or jerseys in this sim, all provided by the nickname project on OOTP forums)

There are currently 1,963 players from 67 different nations playing at some level in the North American Baseball Federation. With 23 currently represented in the leagues Hall of Fame. But how did we get here? Let’s go backwards in time so the year, 2030. The year was quiet, no baseball. But then the North American Baseball Association spawned out of seemingly nowhere, garnering attention world-wide as players tried out to get selected in the Inaugural Draft. Six teams were formed: New York City Stars, Boston Freedom, Chicago Cyclones, Minnesota Saints, San Francisco Seals, and the Los Angeles Coyotes. The first round of the Inaugural Draft went like so; 

Pick 1 – Boston Freedom
RHP – Oualid Dufour, 26, from Edmonton, Canada. A strikeout heavy pitcher with a slider that turns bats into butter. 

Pick 2 – Chicago Cyclones
LF – Raúl Padilla, 27, from Corpus Christi, Texas. A speedy, right-handed outfielder. 

Pick 3 – Minnesota Saints
RHP – Jesús Castro, 25, from Guatemala City, Guatemala. A pitcher who can do a little bit of everything, is also extremely hot headed and disruptive. 

Pick 4 – Los Angeles Coyotes 
RHP – Fernando Rocha, 26, from San Francisco del Rincon, Mexico. A power pitcher with a 3-pitch mix. 

Pick 5 – San Francisco Seals
CF – Valentín Pinto, 26, from Juarez, Mexico. A left handed 5-tool outfielder with some pop. 

Pick 6 – New York City Stars
RHP, Gerald Ackerman, 27, from Las Lomas, California. A non-flashy, control pitcher, out of the ordinary for a New York team. 

Other Notable draft picks include. 
Round 2, Pick 1, C, Vance Mason, 26, New York City Stars, USA. After picking Ackerman they fortify their battery team by picking the power hitting catcher Mason. 

Round 2, Pick 4, 1B, José Rubio, 27, Minnesota Saints, PUR. Rubio may be a contact first, power second, kind of guy, but don’t let that fool you into throwing him a bad pitch, he will make you pay. 

Round 3, Pick 1, 1B, Roberto Rosas, 26, Boston Freedom, GUA. The first of many first basemen the Freedom will draft, and the first of many great Guatemalan players in the NABF. 

Round 3, Pick 3, C, Pedro Castaneda, 26, Minnesota Saints, GUA. Castro and Castaneda combine to create an all Guatemala battery team. Castaneda is also a power hitting catcher. 

Round 3, Pick 6, 1B, Jean Frey, 22, New York City Stars, CAN. Despite being drafted 18thoverall, Frey was named the #3 prospect in the NABF right before the season started. 

Round 4, Pick 6, 1B/RF, Adrien Berthe, 25, Boston Freedom, CAN. Solid power hitter with high expectations. 

Round 6, Pick 6, 1B, Nick McElroy, 21, Boston Freedom, USA. One of the youngest players in the draft also happens to be one of the strongest. Should pair perfectly with Berthe and McElroy in Boston. 

Round 10, Pick 5, RF, José Barbosa, 22, Chicago Cyclones, MEX. This is what they call a steal, a 5-tool outfielder in the 10th round? Who wouldn’t take him. 

Round 11, Pick 1, 1B, Willie Baxter, 23, Boston Freedom, USA. Despite already drafted three first basemen, (Rosas, Berthe, McElroy) they decide to take their chances on another young stud by the name of Baxter. He is expected to play third in Boston. 

2030 Regular Season. 

• Minnesota Saints

They were the favorites going in and played to their level and will be one of the two teams to play in the first ever Federation Series. Led by star player, and MVP winner, Pedro Castaneda, who hit league-leading 17 home runs, 43 RBIs, and OPS+ of 198, his slash was a great .347/.427/.695 as well. The Saints also traded star 1B, José Rúbio halfway through the season to the LA Coyotes in exchange for; 1B José Segura and prospects, RHP Iván Torres and LHP Rico Pitts. Segura was the main piece of the package, while he may not have been as good with the bat as Rúbio, he made up for it being a better defender who could play many positions. Segura also helped solidify the Saints monster lineup of; Telford, Perez, Castaneda, Segura, that terrified pitchers the whole season. Minnesota’s pitching was also no joke. Led by third overall pick, Jesús Castro, together with LHP Jesús Retes and RHP Bill Crum combined for 17-6 record. 

• New York City Stars

One of the most solid teams throughout the season. Led on offense by C, Vance Mason, 1B, Jean Frey, and SS, Félix Solis. Mason led the league in hits and was 2ndplace in MVP voting, behind only Pedro Castaneda (MN). Pitching wise, the Stars had stars galore. First round pick, Gerald Ackerman, despite going 5-6 had a 3.42 ERA and led the team in WAR. RHP Chris Reinhart would win the Pitcher of the Year award with a 5-3 record and 3.15 ERA. The Stars third pitcher on rotation, Christophe Combe, would also finish well 4-1 record and 3.18 ERA. Fun Fact, 2B, Frédéric Abadie hit .197 but lead the league with 7 triples, one out of 5 of hits were triples this season. 

• Los Angeles Coyotes 

On the opposite end of the Rúbio-Segura trade, for the Coyotes Segura was hitting .222 and a trade for .391 hitting Rúbio seemed like a great idea… until he only hit 1 homerun for LA in half a season. Despite this, 1B Fabien Meunier and LF Domingo Ramírez showed promise for the team going forward. Their pitching core also showed promise with 3 of their 4 starters pitching under 4.00 ERA and Fernando Rocha finished second in the Pitcher of the Year award voting. 

• San Francisco Seals

Not much to say about this team, they underperformed on offense and were only saved by LHP Logan Debord and RHP Jason Smith who both finished 6-3. 

• Boston Freedom

Turns out drafting 4 first basemen was not the smartest move since none of them could really play defense. Only one player hit over .300, that being the young Willie Baxter who also hit 9 home runs, only 1 behind Nick McElroy for the team lead. Catcher, Norm Badman also did surprisingly well for the team hitting .251/.354/.447 and hitting 8 home runs. First overall pick, Oualid Dufour, despite being 3rdfor Pitcher of the Year Award voting, one could say he underperformed with a 6-5 record and 3.39 ERA. 

• Chicago Cyclones

You know your team drafted poorly if your 10th round pick out-shined your 1st rounder. Even before Raúl Padilla came down with a season ending knee sprain, José Barbosa eclipsed him in nearly every single hitting stat. Other than Barbosa, the team had no one else on offense and struggled immensely pitching wise, though RHP Clarence Wright didn’t do awful, he cannot be the ace of the team going forward. At least they get the first overall pick in a stacked 2030 draft class. (the draft is in December, so it has the year of the season played prior) 

Sadly, this is where the story partly ends. I cannot see the individual game scores or box scores for the Federation Series (it will be like that until we catch up) and since there were only 2 teams that made it into the playoffs, there isn’t much to cover either. 

Minnesota Saints over New York City Stars, 5-3 (originally it was a 9-game series) 
Frédéric Abadie of NYC won the Federation Series MVP, somehow, despite being on the losing team. (I am unable to see playoff stats unless I am in that specific season)

2030 Awards
Batter of the Year Award (MVP): C, Pedro Castaneda, Minnesota Saints

Pitcher of the Year Award: RHP, Chris Reinhart, New York City Stars

Rookie of the Year Award: C, Pedro Castaneda, Minnesota Saints

Reliever of the Year Award: RHP, Cristóbal Sánchez, BOS. 6 saves, 2.72 ERA, 145 ERA+ (no baseball card for this award apparently) 
Gold Glove Awards
P: Jason Smith, SF
C: Vance Mason, NYC
1B: Jean Frey, NYC
2B: Stephen Brown, NYC
3B: Willie Baxter, BOS
SS: Roberto Rosas, BOS
LF: NO DATA
CF: José Barbosa, CHI
RF: NO DATA
Some of this was corrupted due to some mistakes of me creating the save when I was 14, I fixed it after a couple seasons. Silver Slugger is also practically completely gone this season, I will show it once its fixed on the seasonal reports, which it is fixed next season. (reminder, I am 60 years away from this season, so my view is extremely limited) 

League Leaders
Batting Average: tie between Pedro Castaneda MN and Vance Mason NYC at .347
OBP: José Rúbio .437 MN/LA
Slugging: Pedro Castaneda .695 MN
OBS: Pedro Castaneda 1.122 MN
Hits: Vance Mason 68 NYC
Home Runs: Pedro Castaneda 17 MN
RBIs: tie between Pedro Castaneda MN and Carl Tracy NYC 43
SB: Raúl Padilla 11 CHI
wRC+: Pedro Castaneda 204 MN, Vance Mason 194 NYC, José Rúbio 159 MN/LA
WAR: Pedro Castaneda 3.5 MN, Vance Mason 3.3 NYC, José Rúbio 2.3 MN/LA

ERA: Fernando Rocha 2.59 LA, Jason Smith 2.82 SF, Júlio Avilés 3.01 LA
Wins: Tyler Mason 7 LA
Ks: Oualid Dufour 77 BOS
Saves: Rubén Guzmán 13 CHI
Opponents AVG: Bill Crum .207 MN
WAR: Gerald Ackerman 2.6 NYC, Chris Reinhart 2.5 NYC, Oualid Dufour 2.2 BOS
(Fun Fact, the only stat Pitcher of the Year winner Chris Reinhart lead in this season was Innings Pitched with 100.0)

Off-Season News: 
Not much news I could dig up. Besides San Francisco trades LHP Albert Gonzáles who went 3-8, lead the league in losses, to Chicago for LF prospect Francisco Espinosa. 

Before we wrap up the whole season, the 2030 Players Draft
Pick 1 – Chicago Cyclones 
LF – Yves Monier, from Martinique. An extremely crafty, stolen base machine and has a magnet for a glove. 

Pick 2 – Boston Freedom 
RF – Christopher Quint, from Mechanicsville, Virginia. A 5-tool player who has some serious power, could be one of the all-time greats.

Pick 3 – San Francisco Seals 
CF – Morris Gilbert, from San Diego, California. A solid defender with good contact, lacks power but makes up for it in speed. 

Pick 4 – Los Angeles Coyotes 
RHP – José Palet, from Henderson, Nevada. A control pitcher and a future ace but needs time to develop. 

Pick 5 – New York City Stars 
RHP – Francisco Hernández, from Tijuana, Mexico. A power pitcher with a good arm and a 3-pitch mix.

Pick 6 – Minnesota Saints 
1B – Brent Huffman, from Chesterfield Township, Michigan. While not a power bat or a big arm, could be a great depth player and key piece in many championship runs. 

Final Note. I cannot find any way to find international FA history, which a lot of the great players come through International Free Agency, though most are in the farm for a few years, so I have no way of finding them until they reach the majors. Also, Free Agency and extensions don’t really start for another season or 2 as I messed up the initial league creation settings. But don’t worry once they happen more frequently, I will be adding them in a separate post-season post. 

2031 hopefully will be up today or tomorrow depending how much time I have.

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/20/2020 4:39 pm  #3

I'm back, already, I hear the 2 of you reading this grumbling as you eat the last snack in your pantry amid the COVID-19 lock-down. Here's some extra entertainment for your day. 

In contrast to the previous season, New York City was expected to be dead, despite no major transactions. Both California teams were instead expected to make the Federation Series and the predictions were correct. 

2031 Season Standings

• San Francisco Seals

The Seals showed plenty of potential in the 2030 season and they appeared ready to play this year with the best record in the league. Lead by MVP winner Valentín Pinto on offense with .324 average and 14 home runs. The Seals pitching core definitely pushed the team from average to best with great showings by LHP Logan Debord and RHP Jason Smith, and if they happened to be in a pinch, closer Dale Sutton stopped nearly everyone in the late innings. The Seals will be playing in their first Federation Series. 

• Los Angeles Coyotes

The ‘Yotes will also be playing in their first series, and the first ever Battle for California. The trade for José Rúbio the previous season finally paid off, with the 1B leading the team in every category batting .328/.444/.594 and 13 home runs. Young players, 2B Fabien Meunier and LF Domingo Ramírez both hit over .300 and 6 home runs each. RHPs Will Willis and Fernando Rocha both dominated with 9-3 and 7-4 respectively, and the latter leading the league in strike outs with 80 (new league record, but it’s the second season so does it really count?). The team ended up tying the Minnesota Saints for 2nd place in the league but played a crucial game 51 and barely won to advance to the Federation Series. FUN FACT, LHP relief pitcher, Roberto Cardenas technically lead the team in triples with 1 (though 3 other batters also hit 1 triple). 

• Minnesota Saints

Due to a struggling Jesús Castro the team only won 27 games this season and lost in game 51 against the Coyotes. Aside from Castro, 2B Dwayne Telford won the batting title and dominated the league hitting .374/.421/.631 and 12 home runs (only 2 behind team leading Pedro Castaneda). The Saints are looking to star Castro to help them bounce back next season. 

• Chicago Cyclones

They won 7 more games this season, led by new ace Albert Gonzáles who had a 2.18 ERA and was 2nd place in the Pitcher of the Year Award. Pitchers Freddy Mace and Clarence Wright also had stand-out performances. Again, on offense, 2nd overall pick Raúl Padilla got outplayed by CF José Barbosa and RF Kenny Brewer. 

• Boston Freedom

The league’s leading offense came to play with clutch hitting, but struggled contact-wise, led by 2nd basemen Ken Bryant and 1st baseman Nick McElroy who both hit .281. RHP Oualid Dufour picked up the slack by having yet another dominate season, 9-3 3.09 ERA and 73 Ks. Yet was 3rd place on the POY Award voting. The Freedom will need another pitcher if they expect to make it to the Federation Series. 

• New York City Stars 

The Stars struggled on every side of the ball. Stars C Vance Mason and 1B Jean Frey both got injured in the middle of the season, and despite 2B Frédéric Abadie picking up the slack, their offense had no spark. Pitching was a disaster, all 3 of their ‘aces’ underplayed this season, with LHP Christophe Combe going 1-11 with a 7.02 ERA. Though, towards the end of the season, RHP Ignacio Aguilar started a few games and pitched a 3-3 3.47 ERA and had signs of promise. 

2031 NABF Federation Series. 

San Francisco Seals over Los Angeles Coyotes 5-2
2B Earl Sheffield of SF wins Federation Series MVP, his first playoff series MVP

2031 Awards 
Batter of the Year Award (MVP): CF, Valentín Pinto, San Francisco Seals
(No player card for some reason) .324/.414/.598, 14 HR, 10 SB, 2.5 WAR
Pitcher of the Year Award: LHP, Logan Debord, San Francisco Seals 

Rookie of the Year Award: LF, Yves Monier, Chicago Cyclones

Reliever of the Year Award: LHP, Steve Baker, Los Angeles Coyotes
3-4, 9 Saves, 3.80 ERA

Great Glove Awards
P: Albert Gonzáles, CHI
C: Norm Badman, BOS
1B: Fabien Meunier, LA
2B: Earl Sheffield, SF
3B: NO DATA
SS: NO DATA
LF: Yves Monier, CHI
CF: José Segura, MN (yeah, the first baseman must’ve been playing CF this season for some reason)
RF: NO DATA

Platinum Stick Awards
P: NO DATA
C: Pedro Castaneda, MN .304/.378/.567, 14HR, 37RBI, 2.0 WAR
1B: Nick McElroy, BOS .281/.351/.562, 12HR, 41RBI, 1.7 WAR
2B: Dwayne Telford, MN .374/.421/.631, 12HR, 46RBI, 2.9 WAR
3B: José Rúbio, LA .328/.444/.594, 13HR, 35RBI, 2.6 WAR (another 1B playing the wrong position)
SS: Roberto Rosas, BOS .278/.352/.485, 8HR, 21RBI, 1.4 WAR (another)
LF: Domingo Ramírez, LA .300/.357/.461, 6HR, 28RBI, 1.0 WAR
CF: Valentín Pinto, SF .324/.414/.598, 14HR, 40RBI, 2.5 WAR
RF: Kenny Brewer, CHI .305/.383/.616, 15HR, 30RBI, 2.1 WAR

League Leaders 
AVG: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN .374
OBP: 1B/3B Júlio Rúbio, LA .444 
Slugging: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN .631
OBS: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN 1.052
Hits: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN 77 (new league record) 
HRs: RF Kenny Brewer, CHI 15 (Castaneda and Pinto tied with 14) 
RBIs: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN 46
SB: LF Yves Monier, CHI 19 
wRC+: Dwayne Telford 179 MN, Júlio Rúbio 164 LA, Valentín Pinto 154 SF
WAR: Dwayne Telford 2.9 MN, Júlio Rúbio 2.6 LA, Valentín Pinto 2.5 SF 
(how Pinto won BOY over Telford is beyond me) 

ERA: Albert Gonzáles 2.18 CHI, Logan Debord 2.80 SF, Fernando Rocha 2.98 LA
Wins: tied between Oualid Dufour BOS and Will Willies LA with 9
Ks: Fernando Rocha, LA 80
Saves: Dale Sutton, SF 12
Opponents AVG: Albert Gonzáles, CHI .193
WAR: Logan Debord 2.9 SF, Gerald Ackerman 2.6 NYC, Oualid Dufour 2.5 BOS
FUN FACT, top 3 for batting WAR and pitching WAR had the same stats

Off-Season News: 
EXPANSION!!!! Two new teams join the league for the 2032 NABF season, the Dallas Bisons and Houston Marauders. I cannot get the log of the expansion draft, but I can see some notable players that they took in the draft include: 
Dallas; 2030 Great Glove award 2B from NYC, Steven Brown, 2030 RBI leader also from NYC, RF Carl Tracy, 2-time reliever of the year award winner, Steve Baker (but will work as a starter for Dallas). 
For Houston; Boston starting left fielder, Phil Davenport, Chicago star pitcher, Freddy Mace. Among others. 

Chicago, despite already losing Freddy Mace to the expansion draft, decides to also trade RHP Clarence Wright to Boston for RF Jesús Hernández and prospect LHP Bobby Wilson. Wright looks to be the missing piece in Boston’s rotation to compliment Oualid Dufour. 

Only other trade is of NYC’s RHP Ignacio Aguilar to Minnesota for prospects SS Dave Rogers and RHP Ramón Vega. 

2031 Players Draft
Pick 1 – Houston Marauders 
RHP – Jim Davis, from San Diego, California. The most traditional pitcher out there, but has the stuff to become an ace. 

Pick 2 – Dallas Bisons
RHP – Edgardo Cruz, out of Savannah State but from El Salvador. A 6’7 power arm with lots of control, could be an ace if he develops.

Pick 3 – New York City Stars 
RHP – Emílio Tovar, from Heath, Ohio. The third straight RHP picked in the draft, the Stars hope that the two expansion teams missed the real gem. 

Pick 4 – Boston Freedom 
LF – Chris Miner, from Appleton, Wisconsin. A premium offensive and defensive player, lacks speed but could be a great number 2 in any lineup. 

Pick 5 – Chicago Cyclones 
CF – Tim Dyer, from Fernley, Nevada. Has almost no power but has above average contact and speed, could be a good lead-off tandem with Monier in a few years. 

Pick 6 – Minnesota Saints 
3B – Yves Bonnaud, from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Looks to be a solid pick for the Saints in the hot corner for years to come, his bat doesn’t look that bad either. 

Pick 7 – Los Angeles Coyotes 
RHP – Teddy Gregory, from Moreno Valley, California. A breaking ball pitcher who could be a steal or a bust depending on how this high schooler develops. 

Pick 8 – San Francisco Seals 
RHP – Jeff Kellerman, from Fishhook, Arkansas. Not many scouts thought to look to Arkansas to produce a high draft pick, the Seals hope that this country boy can come up big for them in the future. 

Final Note. This season is the final season without Free Agency, as I initially made it 3 years before a player can hit free agency, then changed it to 6 years like the MLB after a few seasons to spark Free Agency in the early years (finally, 14-year old me did something good). Thus, 2032 and 2033 have crazy transactions, some don’t make any sense, but starting next season, each season will have 2 posts, one for regular season and the Federation Series, and one for the NABF ‘Hot Stove’. 

3/20/2020 4:42 pm  #4

Fun Fact: (I should've included this in the previous post but I'm too lazy to edit it now). San Francisco won the Federation Series with only 4 registered batters; Valentín Pinto, Luis Montáñez, Earl Sheffield, and Morris Gilbert (though he only played in 8 games and never recorded a hit). How did they do this? I have no idea, OOTP is weird. 

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (3/20/2020 4:42 pm)

3/20/2020 9:14 pm  #5

I see you, reading this, not commenting on this. 

The 2032 season was the beginning of what looked like a decade dominated by the Minnesota Saints. 

2032 Season Standings

• Minnesota Saints 

The 2032 Saints began to establish what they are calling Minnesota’s Foreign Four, a tradition the Saints have held for nearly every winning season from now onward (I believe). Headed by RHP Jesús Castro, battery mate and fellow Guatemalan C, Pedro Castaneda, Mexican-American 1B/OF José Segura, and Trinidadian 2B, Dwayne Telford. Rookie SS Yves Bonnaud put up stellar numbers in a near full season campaign, hitting .303 and hit more RBIs than José Segura. Telford, again, led the team in all batting categories but Castaneda was not too far behind. Halfway through the season, Minnesota made quite possibly one of the best trades of all time, sending young 1B, Brent Huffman to NYC for former star RHP Gerald Ackerman. The acquisition of Ackerman turned the already good rotation to a legendary rotation, Castro had a Hall of Fame year, winning the first NABF Triple Crown with 9-3, 2.17 ERA, and 99 Ks (technically all NABF records as well), Daniel Jackson’s mediocre career turned into a budding star with 6-2 record and 2.77 ERA, LHP Jesús Retes continued dominance with an 8-2 record, Ackerman went only 4-3 but had the 6th best ERA in the league with 3.21 (if you count only his MN stats). This pushed RHP Bill Crum to the bullpen, which was a great fit as he was in the top 10 for opponent AVG every season thus far and became the Saints’ dominant bullpen force for the rest of the season. Fun Fact, the Saints now have 2 1st Basemen by the name of José Segura, though the newest one played mostly on the bench this season. 

• Los Angeles Coyotes

With a career-low season for José Rúbio, the Coyotes lacked home run power, but instead hit for contact, with 6 of their starters hitting over .285, led by the young outfield tandem of Domingo Ramírez and Raúl Bojórquez. While the Saints’ rotation may have been getting all the spotlight, LA’s was nearly just as dominant, Fernando Rocha, despite dealing with a hamstring injury all season went 6-1 and 2.39 ERA, Will Willis picked up the slack and was just barely behind Jesús Castro (MN) in nearly every statistical category, Júlio Avilés and Tyler Mason had career years of their own. 

• Boston Freedom

The Freedom battled injuries the entire season, yet put up their best season to this date, yet they won’t be in the Federation Series, as only 1B Nick McElroy played every game this season. The trade last season for Chicago’s Clarence Wright seemed to pay off early in the season going to an early 4-1 record until he tore his flexor tendon and is expected to miss the next 13 months. LHP Oualid Dufour put up yet another highlight year, going 7-4 with a 2.44 ERA and 96 strike outs (just behind Castro in all categories). 3rd round pick SS, Tony Thompson picked up the defensive hole that was covered by true 1B Roberto Rosas, though that also meant the slugger was out of a job. Despite that strange management issue, the team had three players with 15 or more home runs, all three true first basemen Willie Baxter led the team and league with 19, Nick McElroy and Adrien Berthe both hit 15. Rookie RF Christopher Quint had a good early showing, hitting .282 and 8 home runs. 2B Ed Bryant and last year’s 1st round pick Chris Miner each dealt with major injuries as well. 

• Chicago Cyclones

Another team plagued with injuries, majority of their wins came towards the end of the season due to the monster trade of star RF José Barbosa (as well as pitchers Bobby Wilson and Júlio Barrón) for Batter of the Year award winner Jean Frey. While the idea of trading the face of the franchise might sound like a horrible idea, when you consider the fact that Chicago has 5 other options in the outfield, those being former HR leader Kenny Brewer, 2nd overall Raúl Padilla (who may be under performing but has potential to be a great), ROY LF Yves Monier, RF Jesús Hernández who at the time of the trade was starting RF over Barbosa (he was playing CF mostly at the time), and 1st round pick last season Tim Dyer. Getting a better hitting player in a position they had (literally) nobody in was a pretty simple decision for the team. Though in terms of injuries, the aforementioned Raúl Padilla and Kenny Brewer both dealt with them as well as every single starting pitcher except blossoming ace Albert Gonzáles. The Cyclones are looking like possible contenders in 2033. 

• San Francisco Seals

The defending champs took a turn for the worse in 2032 as Logan Debord had a disaster of a season, going 2-8 with a 5.70 ERA. Jason Smith try as he might, could not replicate the magic of last season but at least stayed above .500 and under 4 ERA. The Seals were another team that was able to cash in on New York City’s fire sale. Trading former 1st round pick LF Morris Gilbert and prospect CF Francisco Espinoza to NYC in exchange for star catcher, Vance Mason. However this happened with a week left in the season so not many wins came from it this season. San Fran stayed .500 this season largely in part to RF Luis Montáñez who hit .341 and 8 HRs (for you zoomers out there, he also had a wRC+ of 155 despite only playing in 80% of the season). Fun Fact, the Seals still somehow are surviving with only 5 registered batters (1 of them is Vance mason who played 6 games, and another is Ramón Trevino who is considered a bench player). 

• New York City Stars

The Stars had a complete collapse of any semblance of baseball this season. Largely due to former POY winner Chris Reinhart missing nearly the entire season due to an UCL injury and Christophe Combe also missing the season due to a hamstring issue. Instead of doing the smart thing and taking the L, the Stars tried to tank for the 1st overall pick by trading Stars Jean Frey, Gerald Ackerman, and Vance Mason, for mild returns (other than Barbosa, none are ready to start for the team). Despite the tank, NYC doesn’t get the #1 or #2 pick, as both expansion teams did even worse. 

• Dallas Bisons

The Bisons had the highest total attendance of any team this season, though I don’t know what they were watching, it certainly wasn’t baseball. SS Carl Tracy hit 10 HRs but hit only .227 and had the teams only triple. Their best starter, LHP Steve Baker (yes the Steve Baker that won the last 2 reliever of the year awards) had an ERA of 4.09. Hopefully, they can find something, anything to improve them in the offseason. 

• Houston Marauders

Can I just copy-paste everything I said about Dallas for Houston? Does baseball even exist in Texas without cheating? They hit 7 home runs all season and their pitchers all hit better than their starting third baseman and catcher (going by batter WAR). At the very least, 1st overall pick Jim Davis showed signs of greatness, though very few. And they got themselves a good reliever in Canadian LHP Wilson Boulay. 

2032 Federation Series

Minnesota Saints over Los Angeles Coyotes 5-2. Saints 2nd Federation Series win. 
C Pedro Castaneda, MN gets the FS MVP, the first of his career

2031 Awards 
Batter of the Year Award: 1B, Jean Frey NYC/CHI (becomes first BOY to be traded halfway through the season)

Pitcher of the Year Award: RHP, Jesús Castro MN (for some reason no baseball card was made, but I screenshotted his stats up to this point in his career)

Rookie of the Year Award: NO DATA (in my opinion it should be Christopher Quint, BOS, and I remember him winning but however I can’t find any records of it)

Reliver of the Year Award: RHP Rubén Guzmán CHI 2-0, 12 Saves, 1.38 ERA, 8.0K/9, 0.96WHIP

Great Glove Awards (im sorry, tons of missing data this season for some reason)
P: NO DATA
C: Norm Badman, BOS 2x
1B: Fabien Meunier, LA 2x
2B: NO DATA
3B: NO DATA
SS: Yves Bonnaud, MN 1x
LF: NO DATA
CF: José Segura, MN 2x
RF: Pablo Pérez, MN 1x

Platinum Stick Awards
P: Francisco Hernández, NYC .407/.429/.667, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 0.3 WAR 1x
C: Pedro Castaneda, MN .346/.435/.615, 12 HR, 42 RBI, 2.4 WAR 3x
1B: Jean Frey, NYC/CHI .398/.522/.744, 13 HR, 41 RBI, 4.0 WAR 1x (yes you read that slash line correct)
2B: Dwayne Telford, MN .357/.443/.679 17 HR, 54 RBI, 2.9 WAR 2x
3B: Willie Baxter, BOS .327/.397/.678 19 HR, 46 RBI, 2.7 WAR 2x
SS: Carl Tracy, DAL .227/.305/.425 10 HR, 28 RBI, 0.5 WAR 2x
LF: Adrien Berthe, BOS .337/.411/.696, 15 HR, 51 RBI, 2.8 WAR 1x
CF: José Segura, MN .271/.411/.516, 8 HR, 27 RBI, 2.2 WAR 1x
RF: Luis Montáñez, SF .341/.374/.608 8 HR, 33 RBI, 1.9 WAR 1x

League Leaders
AVG: 1B Jean Frey, NYC/CHI .398
OBP: 1B Jean Frey, NYC/CHI .522
Slugging: 1B Jean Frey, NYC/CHI .744
OBS: 1B Jean Frey, NYC/CHI 1.266
Hits: three-way tie between; Jean Frey, Dwayne Telford, and Nick McElroy with 70 each
HRs: 1B/3B Willie Baxter, BOS 19 
RBIs: 2B Dwayne Telford, MN 54
Runs: CF/1B José Segura, MN 55
SBs: LF Yves Monier, CHI 21
wRC+: Jean Frey 219 NYC/CHI, Nick McElroy 194 BOS, Dwayne Telford 178 
WAR: Jean Frey 4.0 NYC/CHI, Nick McElroy 3.2 BOS, Dwayne Telford 2.9 MN 

Wondering why McElroy didn’t win any awards? Because he plays the same position as Jean Frey, think he should have won? Make a case for him, here are there stats next to each other
Jean Frey's stat-line

Nick McElroy's stat-line

ERA: Jesús Castro, MN 2.17 (Will Willis, LA 2.22 was phenomenal as well)
Wins: Jesús Castro, MN 9
Ks: Jesús Castro, MN 99
Saves: tie between Rubén Guzmán CHI and Dale Sutton SF with 12
Opponents AVG: tie between Oualid Dufour BOS and Jesús Castro with .199
WAR: Jesús Castro 4.1 MN, Oualid Dufour 3.2 BOS, Gerald Ackerman 2.8 NYC/MN 

If there was an MVP award given to the best player, not just batter, who would’ve won this season, Jean Frey or Jesús Castro?

That’s the end of this post. The off-season news will be HUGE this season (as well as next, nearly 2-3 times as big as a normal season will be, the first 2 seasons are flukes if you couldn’t tell with some of the awards). The next post should be tomorrow with the 2032 off-season, Players Draft, as well as I should hopefully have the 2033 posted tomorrow as well. 

3/21/2020 5:06 pm  #6

2032 off-season
So originally, I was planning on writing these as the other big simulated series had done (primarily the AFA and PHL) but after realizing how messy some OOTP seasons are, I decided instead that I’m going to write them as a team-by-team changes, this allows for easier reading as well as more in-depth analysis once more teams are added. I’ll be going in alphabetical order. 

• Boston Freedom 

Releases rookies RF Christopher Quint and LF Chris Miner
Extends 1B/3B Willie Baxter to 6-year extension for $525,800, but then releases him right after (prime OOTP AI)
Signs RF José Barbosa to 1-year, $66,000
Trades SS Tony Thompson to Houston for RHP Freddy Mace
Extends RHP Clarence Wright despite him being out for the regular season. 1 year, $32,400
In review: Lots of strange moves, cutting 2 rookies with high potentials, extending then cutting last season home run champion Willie Baxter, and taking the massive ballsy move of essentially signing Wright who won’t even be able to play next season unless Boston makes it to the Federation Series. However, trading Tony Thompson to free up a line-up spot for Roberto Rosas is the smartest move the team made this off-season, though the cheap 1-year deal for José Barbosa is also very nice. If I were the GM I would’ve tried to keep Baxter while trading Rosas for a better option than Mace, possibly Avilés in LA or one of Minnesota’s arms not named Castro. 

• Chicago Cyclones 

Extends 1B Jean Frey for 7 years, $880,400. 
Signs RF Christopher Quint for 3 years, $223,000
Extends RHP Albert Gonzáles for 4 years, $360,400
In review: Cyclones lock town Frey and Gonzáles long-term and sign rookie Christopher Quint, adding even more depth to their stacked outfield. Despite losing both Mace and Wright from 2 seasons ago I see it surprising that they didn’t try to persuade either of them back, or even push for Reinhart on the rebuilding Stars team. 

• Dallas Bisons 

Signs LF Morris Gilbert for 2 years, $175,000
In review: Not much to say, Gilbert hasn’t done super well in his career yet and will be paid more than José Barbosa. They better hope they draft a future hall of famer this draft. 

• Houston Marauders 

Trades RHP Freddy Mace to Boston for SS Tony Thompson
In review: No free agent signings and a pretty bad trade as even if Mace did bad last season, he could just as well turn it around to the caliber he was previously. At least Dallas signed a FA, not sure what Houston is doing.

• Los Angeles Coyotes

Extends LF Domingo Ramírez for 3 years, $285,000
Extends RHP Fernando Rocha for 6 years, $596,800
Extends RHP Will Willis for 6 years, $866,000
Extends RHP Júlio Avilés for 3 years, $207,800
In review: LA does not want to let anyone fall into free agency, no contract for 1B Rúbio however, he is expected to test Free Agency next season along with LF Raúl Bojórquez. 

• Minnesota Saints 

Extends 2B Dwayne Telford for 3 years, $232,200
Extends C Pedro Castaneda for 5 years, $611,600
Extends CF José Segura for 5 years, $354,200
In review: Similar to LA the Saints are just resigning the big names to long contracts, strange none of their pitchers signed one yet. 

• New York City Stars 

Releases LF Morris Gilbert
RF José Barbosa decides to leave for Free Agency
Signs LF Chris Miner for 2 years $173,000
In review: They traded Jean Frey for José Barbosa, then just let him walk away? This has got to be one of the worst trade deals in the history of trade deals. They sign rookie Chris Miner, who will retain rookie status next season as he didn’t get many plate appearences.

• San Francisco Seals 

Signs 1B Willie Baxter to 1 year, $95,000 
Extends CF Valentín Pinto for 6 years, $521,200
Extends RHP Jason Smith for 5 years, $338,400
In review: The Seals get a steal for Willie Baxter and sign Pinto and Smith for relatively cheap. Possibly the only team who made smart decisions this off-season. 

2032 Players Draft 
Pick 1 – Dallas Bisons 
CF – Bruce Maloney, from Roswell, New Mexico. Not a lot to say about him, was easily the number 1 pick this draft, but this is easily the weakest draft thus far. Dallas hopes he can mature into the face of their franchise going forward. 

Pick 2 – Houston Marauders
RHP – Martín Yánez, form Crittenden, Kentucky. Throws 98+ consistently but has shown almost no signs of control with a 7.8BB/9 while at Wichita State. 

Pick 3 – New York City Stars
RF – Júlio Luna, from Puerto Rico. A slight opposite compared to the LF the Stars recently acquired in Chris Miner. Luna is a more patient, contact and speed hitter while Miner likes to hit for power. 

Pick 4 – Chicago Cyclones
RHP – Warren Zimmerman, from Simi Valley, California. Extremely similar to the 2ndpick, Yánez, except Zimmerman comes straight out of high school, with more time to develop he may end up being the better pick. 

Pick 5 – San Francisco Seals 
LHP – Paul Wood, from Durham, North Carolina. Wood, unlike the twi righties taken before him, can actually locate the ball and throws a nasty screwball. 

Pick 6 – Boston Freedom
RHP – Mark Blake, from Brooklyn, New York. Throws a wicked cutter, but probably won’t get out of the bullpen in his career. 

Pick 7 – Los Angeles Coyotes
2B – Doug Gordon, from Anderson, California. An all-around player, but probably won’t be batting with Meunier and Rúbio anytime soon as he’s the youngest player taken thus far. 

Pick 8 – Minnesota Saints 
RHP – Jon Rendell, from St. Thomas, Ontario. Rendell at best could make a solid 4 or 5 in a rotation, but probably not much more. 

That’s it for the 2032 season and off-season. If you have any questions about the players, teams, or how I run this ask, same for criticism, I have 60 years to go through and I want this to be good. 

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (3/21/2020 5:07 pm)

Board footera