Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



5/18/2019 9:20 pm  #1


Name Suggestions/Critiques

So I'm looking to make my own Hockey Alt-History where it's America's Past time instead of baseball which would lead to the larger amount of teams and the locations used. Please ask any questions about the team names or if you'd like to suggest something different for one of the cities.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoHLdIRQ5YeH-qtynZxb2dusVV4b0uUn7TTlMXuOUcY/edit


https://imgur.com/FBkx26r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/OmvF1Sw.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/NheYlqz.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/4M8JjHt.pnghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KQPrfeoaUiU/YNENDkHdjzI/AAAAAAAADxg/aBRmg7Dc2A4a0sROWpJ7DzNa6K4ubL2dACLcBGAsYHQ/s400/Boston%2BIndependents-01.png
 

5/18/2019 10:21 pm  #2


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

These names look pretty good so far. Some look like they have some backstory to them as well, which is always good. I have to ask though, what is with the name Calgary Saurus? It’s probably the most unique name of the bunch. Is that a play on dinosaurs?


https://i.imgur.com/zUDJRA7.png
 

5/18/2019 10:24 pm  #3


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

~Bear wrote:

These names look pretty good so far. Some look like they have some backstory to them as well, which is always good. I have to ask though, what is with the name Calgary Saurus? It’s probably the most unique name of the bunch. Is that a play on dinosaurs?

 
I would think it’s for the amount of fossils found in that area around Alberta.

My only question is: Missouri or Kansas side for KC?


https://i.imgur.com/WZecRrK.png
https://i.ibb.co/30Td38R/1940-CPHL-Creator-Sig.jpg
Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."
 

5/18/2019 10:42 pm  #4


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

~Bear wrote:

These names look pretty good so far. Some look like they have some backstory to them as well, which is always good. I have to ask though, what is with the name Calgary Saurus? It’s probably the most unique name of the bunch. Is that a play on dinosaurs?

Yep it's a play off the Drumheller area and the general backstory is that the team is owned by businessmen who hunted for fossils in the area.


ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

~Bear wrote:

These names look pretty good so far. Some look like they have some backstory to them as well, which is always good. I have to ask though, what is with the name Calgary Saurus? It’s probably the most unique name of the bunch. Is that a play on dinosaurs?

 
I would think it’s for the amount of fossils found in that area around Alberta.

My only question is: Missouri or Kansas side for KC?

Missouri Side, they're the original team in Missouri. The original owner was brother to the Governor who used his influence to ensure the Smokies were the only team in the state, ensuring all the local talent played for the Smokies.

Last edited by Darknes (5/18/2019 10:43 pm)


https://imgur.com/FBkx26r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/OmvF1Sw.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/NheYlqz.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/4M8JjHt.pnghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KQPrfeoaUiU/YNENDkHdjzI/AAAAAAAADxg/aBRmg7Dc2A4a0sROWpJ7DzNa6K4ubL2dACLcBGAsYHQ/s400/Boston%2BIndependents-01.png
     Thread Starter
 

5/19/2019 1:00 am  #5


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

Heyo, FC Macbeth here!

If you want some unique names for various places around the world, here is some suggestion:

1. Boston Matrix
To give you a little background, in 1970 an entrepreneur and founder of Boston Consulting Group named Bruce Henderson created the Boston Matrix as a way to help companies to analyse the product based on its market share and market growth. It is separated into four areas: Star, Dog, Problem Child (or Question Mark) and Cash Cow.

I chose this name because when people think of Boston, they usually see it as a city filled with (not exactly) Anglophobic rebels with Irish ancestors and tough-as-nails sailors (courtesy of Boston's naval history). To bring in something new to the table, why don't you call it the Matrix and have everything Matrix-themed (recommended)? Perhaps the origin story could be from a bunch of business-minded entrepreneurs granted the expansion in some random sports league and chose the aforementioned name regardless if people like it or not? I like to see this team made, preferably, in a hockey league.

2. Kitchener Teutonics
The city of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada was named after Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener, a WW1 British Field Marshall responsible for his war efforts to the Allies until his unfortunate death via sinking of HMS Hampshire by a German mine in 1916. However, before 1916 it was called Berlin because of its celebrated German heritage.

As a symbol of German ancestral pride, I called them the Teutonics as a tribute to the most fearsome knights of Medieval Europe: the Teutonic Knights. These powerful warriors served for two goals: spreading Christianity in Europe and other lands and help the poor and needy. They are created to fight in the Holy Land and, later, the Baltic areas. They still exist today but only as a charitable group. (Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I did research that stuff.)

Now that I brushed off my chest for this, I'm thinking what would it look like. The logo could be a helmet of a Teutonic knight with horns on each side. The colour scheme could be yellow, black and white. The jersey might be inspired by how they look like in uniform back then. Who knows? As long as it is Teutonic-themed, I'll be damn happy.

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

That is it from me. Any criticism is welcome. Just don't be a dick and we're good.


https://i.imgur.com/i8rODj2.png
https://i.imgur.com/GOTADLc.png
(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets
 

5/19/2019 7:55 am  #6


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

FC Macbeth wrote:

Heyo, FC Macbeth here!

If you want some unique names for various places around the world, here is some suggestion:

1. Boston Matrix
To give you a little background, in 1970 an entrepreneur and founder of Boston Consulting Group named Bruce Henderson created the Boston Matrix as a way to help companies to analyse the product based on its market share and market growth. It is separated into four areas: Star, Dog, Problem Child (or Question Mark) and Cash Cow.

I chose this name because when people think of Boston, they usually see it as a city filled with (not exactly) Anglophobic rebels with Irish ancestors and tough-as-nails sailors (courtesy of Boston's naval history). To bring in something new to the table, why don't you call it the Matrix and have everything Matrix-themed (recommended)? Perhaps the origin story could be from a bunch of business-minded entrepreneurs granted the expansion in some random sports league and chose the aforementioned name regardless if people like it or not? I like to see this team made, preferably, in a hockey league.

2. Kitchener Teutonics
The city of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada was named after Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener, a WW1 British Field Marshall responsible for his war efforts to the Allies until his unfortunate death via sinking of HMS Hampshire by a German mine in 1916. However, before 1916 it was called Berlin because of its celebrated German heritage.

As a symbol of German ancestral pride, I called them the Teutonics as a tribute to the most fearsome knights of Medieval Europe: the Teutonic Knights. These powerful warriors served for two goals: spreading Christianity in Europe and other lands and help the poor and needy. They are created to fight in the Holy Land and, later, the Baltic areas. They still exist today but only as a charitable group. (Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I did research that stuff.)

Now that I brushed off my chest for this, I'm thinking what would it look like. The logo could be a helmet of a Teutonic knight with horns on each side. The colour scheme could be yellow, black and white. The jersey might be inspired by how they look like in uniform back then. Who knows? As long as it is Teutonic-themed, I'll be damn happy.

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

That is it from me. Any criticism is welcome. Just don't be a dick and we're good.

I would say Teutons instead of Teutonics, because a) that’s what they were called historically and b) I thought of the tectonic plates when you said the name. I like the inspiration and it’s a unique name idea, though!


Check out my Continental Basketball League here!
https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=22
 

5/19/2019 8:20 am  #7


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

While Foxes could certainly work for Ottawa, I would say it's not the most common animal around here. In fact, I believe we actually have more Coyotes than Foxes here.


https://i.imgur.com/8hUluyr.gif
 

5/19/2019 8:29 am  #8


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

NoE38 wrote:

While Foxes could certainly work for Ottawa, I would say it's not the most common animal around here. In fact, I believe we actually have more Coyotes than Foxes here.

So they're not native to Arizona, huh?

Last edited by FC Macbeth (5/19/2019 8:30 am)


https://i.imgur.com/i8rODj2.png
https://i.imgur.com/GOTADLc.png
(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets
 

5/19/2019 9:27 am  #9


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

FC Macbeth wrote:

Heyo, FC Macbeth here!

If you want some unique names for various places around the world, here is some suggestion:

1. Boston Matrix
To give you a little background, in 1970 an entrepreneur and founder of Boston Consulting Group named Bruce Henderson created the Boston Matrix as a way to help companies to analyse the product based on its market share and market growth. It is separated into four areas: Star, Dog, Problem Child (or Question Mark) and Cash Cow.

I chose this name because when people think of Boston, they usually see it as a city filled with (not exactly) Anglophobic rebels with Irish ancestors and tough-as-nails sailors (courtesy of Boston's naval history). To bring in something new to the table, why don't you call it the Matrix and have everything Matrix-themed (recommended)? Perhaps the origin story could be from a bunch of business-minded entrepreneurs granted the expansion in some random sports league and chose the aforementioned name regardless if people like it or not? I like to see this team made, preferably, in a hockey league.

2. Kitchener Teutonics
The city of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada was named after Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener, a WW1 British Field Marshall responsible for his war efforts to the Allies until his unfortunate death via sinking of HMS Hampshire by a German mine in 1916. However, before 1916 it was called Berlin because of its celebrated German heritage.

As a symbol of German ancestral pride, I called them the Teutonics as a tribute to the most fearsome knights of Medieval Europe: the Teutonic Knights. These powerful warriors served for two goals: spreading Christianity in Europe and other lands and help the poor and needy. They are created to fight in the Holy Land and, later, the Baltic areas. They still exist today but only as a charitable group. (Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I did research that stuff.)

Now that I brushed off my chest for this, I'm thinking what would it look like. The logo could be a helmet of a Teutonic knight with horns on each side. The colour scheme could be yellow, black and white. The jersey might be inspired by how they look like in uniform back then. Who knows? As long as it is Teutonic-themed, I'll be damn happy.

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

That is it from me. Any criticism is welcome. Just don't be a dick and we're good.

I already had my Boston Team name with the Crows. They're named after a story involving their original owner Seamus O'Riordan who was basically strong-arming low-cash or even bankrupting teams to sell their best players to his squad. The Local papers called him a "Crow" for picking the flesh out of a corpse. He took the name and ran with it making it the official team name for his squad. Kitchener might get one of the farm teams maybe for like Ottawa or Toronto. I wasn't exactly planning on going into Europe but if I make an European league, Tallinn is definitely on my list for teams.

NoE38 wrote:

While Foxes could certainly work for Ottawa, I would say it's not the most common animal around here. In fact, I believe we actually have more Coyotes than Foxes here.

Ah I didn't know that, I was kinda looking at Canadian wildlife native to Ontario, I thought going with a Silver Fox going with a Silver and Red scheme for them.


https://imgur.com/FBkx26r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/OmvF1Sw.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/NheYlqz.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/4M8JjHt.pnghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KQPrfeoaUiU/YNENDkHdjzI/AAAAAAAADxg/aBRmg7Dc2A4a0sROWpJ7DzNa6K4ubL2dACLcBGAsYHQ/s400/Boston%2BIndependents-01.png
     Thread Starter
 

5/19/2019 9:44 am  #10


Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

Darknes wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

Heyo, FC Macbeth here!

If you want some unique names for various places around the world, here is some suggestion:

1. Boston Matrix
To give you a little background, in 1970 an entrepreneur and founder of Boston Consulting Group named Bruce Henderson created the Boston Matrix as a way to help companies to analyse the product based on its market share and market growth. It is separated into four areas: Star, Dog, Problem Child (or Question Mark) and Cash Cow.

I chose this name because when people think of Boston, they usually see it as a city filled with (not exactly) Anglophobic rebels with Irish ancestors and tough-as-nails sailors (courtesy of Boston's naval history). To bring in something new to the table, why don't you call it the Matrix and have everything Matrix-themed (recommended)? Perhaps the origin story could be from a bunch of business-minded entrepreneurs granted the expansion in some random sports league and chose the aforementioned name regardless if people like it or not? I like to see this team made, preferably, in a hockey league.

2. Kitchener Teutonics
The city of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada was named after Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener, a WW1 British Field Marshall responsible for his war efforts to the Allies until his unfortunate death via sinking of HMS Hampshire by a German mine in 1916. However, before 1916 it was called Berlin because of its celebrated German heritage.

As a symbol of German ancestral pride, I called them the Teutonics as a tribute to the most fearsome knights of Medieval Europe: the Teutonic Knights. These powerful warriors served for two goals: spreading Christianity in Europe and other lands and help the poor and needy. They are created to fight in the Holy Land and, later, the Baltic areas. They still exist today but only as a charitable group. (Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I did research that stuff.)

Now that I brushed off my chest for this, I'm thinking what would it look like. The logo could be a helmet of a Teutonic knight with horns on each side. The colour scheme could be yellow, black and white. The jersey might be inspired by how they look like in uniform back then. Who knows? As long as it is Teutonic-themed, I'll be damn happy.

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

That is it from me. Any criticism is welcome. Just don't be a dick and we're good.

I already had my Boston Team name with the Crows. They're named after a story involving their original owner Seamus O'Riordan who was basically strong-arming low-cash or even bankrupting teams to sell their best players to his squad. The Local papers called him a "Crow" for picking the flesh out of a corpse. He took the name and ran with it making it the official team name for his squad. Kitchener might get one of the farm teams maybe for like Ottawa or Toronto. I wasn't exactly planning on going into Europe but if I make an European league, Tallinn is definitely on my list for teams.

NoE38 wrote:

While Foxes could certainly work for Ottawa, I would say it's not the most common animal around here. In fact, I believe we actually have more Coyotes than Foxes here.

Ah I didn't know that, I was kinda looking at Canadian wildlife native to Ontario, I thought going with a Silver Fox going with a Silver and Red scheme for them.

Oh, apologies. It is meant to be some random suggestion thrown in for good measure. But I appreciate your comments nonetheless.


https://i.imgur.com/i8rODj2.png
https://i.imgur.com/GOTADLc.png
(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum