Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2020 5:01 pm  #581

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

1955 NAAF Awards

Most Valuable Player - QB Jean Matieau OTT
Taking home his second MVP, Jean Matieau, once again proves that he is best in the game right now. Leading the league in Passing Touchdowns and Passing yards for the 4th straight season. Matieau ended up with 8 more TD passes than the next best in the league. He also led the monstrous Royals to a 9-1 finish and eventually their second straight title. Matieau is still 29 and far from finished making his mark on the NAAF. 

Playoff MVP - QB Jean Matieau OTT
A dominant regular season would lead to a dominant playoff run for Matieau who would put up 6 passing touchdowns in the two playoff games and was unbeatable. Not to mention taking over the play-calling on the fly in the McCallister Cup. 

Offensive Player of the Year - RB Arthur Conner BUF
Arthur Conner was the beating heart of the Buffalo defense this season. He was able to score 17 rushing touchdowns this season and lead the league in rushing yards. He was one of if not the biggest contributor to the team’s 6-game winning streak. 

Defensive Player of the Year - LB Scotty Williams WOR
Scotty Williams has quickly become one of if not the best defensive players in the NAAF. He shows consistency week-in, week-out playing at the highest level. His 3-straight Defensive Player of the Week awards to finish the season amplifies that fact. Williams looks to be taking the role of Rouge LB Quinton Brewer as the top D-man in the NAAF. He already has earned rookie of the year and I am sure this won’t be his final DPOY award. 

Special Teams Player of the Year - K Thomas McFadden LI
McFadden last took home the STPOY award in 1952 when the team was still in Hartford. A few years later and the 35-year-old is still one of the best kickers in the game. He helped the Raiders to their first playoff appearance and was able to win them the semi-final game over Worcester with a huge 44-yard kick. 

Rookie of the Year  - QB Lyle Painter LI
The first overall pick ran away with the award this season. A lot of it will have to do with the success of the Raiders. In his first season, Painter was able to jump into a tough starting role and help lead the team to the playoffs. His stats aren’t through the roof, but solid for a first-year starter and shows that Painter has lots of potential at only 22.  

Coach of the Year - Jimmy Sargent LI
His first year as Head Coach could be looked at as a disaster. 0-10 is never something to be proud of, but a huge turnaround is certainly some to celebrate. Sargent was able to turn the team around from the 0-10 1954 season to a 6-3-1 season and a division title. Sargent looks to be a solid coach and hopefully, he can continue to stay in the hunt with this young team. 

Breakout Player of the Year - QB Connor O’Rourke PRO
For the 3rd time in the 4 years of the award, a quarterback will be taking home the award. Jean Matieau and Riley Kiernan both preceded O’Rourke. O’Rourke had a great first season finishing second behind Matieau in passing touchdowns. He is the future of the Gold Stars and the fans of Providence are excited for him to continue his growth into a strong starting QB. 

1955 NAAF All-Stars
Offense: 
QB Jean Matieau OTT (3)
RB Arthur Conner BUF (2)
OL James Knowles OTT (7)
OL Adorat Blain OTT (1)
OL Ronnie Elliott BUF (1)
OL Casey York BUF (6)
OL Andrew Furrson BOS (6)
WR Allen Atkins OTT (7)
WR Wilbert Benjamin ON (1) 
WR Peter Brooks PRO (5)
TE Jervonte Howell OTT (2)

Defense:
DL Olaf Viktorsson OTT (2)
DL Sean Bowen BUF (6)
DL Jonathan Brown BUF (6)
DL Zakary Turbide MTL (2)
LB Scotty Williams WOR (4)
LB Aengus Lynch ON (2)
LB Brent Harper BOS (1)
DB Lee Wolfe PRO (7)
DB Alexander Bradley WOR (2)
DB Slay Mitchell LI (1)
S Shawn Jensen WOR (2)

Special Teams:
K Thomas McFadden LI (4)

1956 McCallister Cup Host - Worcester Stadium - Worcester, MA
Worcester Stadium will play host to the McCallister Cup in 1956. The 3-year-old stadium will hold 40,000 with some expanded seating. After several attempts at the hosting duties, the city is excited to welcome the rest of the NAAF for the festive weekend. 

Last edited by Wallflower (8/22/2020 2:24 pm)

7/26/2020 5:16 pm  #582

GoRedSox96 wrote:

Congrats to all the award winners! Wasn't there an expansion vote or something this offseason too or am i just crazy?

You are correct on expansion plans developing that were announced last offseason. I have decided on the cities myself, so no voting will happen, but there will still be some suspense about it. News about that will be released tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm very excited about it!

7/26/2020 8:40 pm  #583

Matieau definitely deserves the MVP again this year for his excellent play. It’s a scary thought knowing he is only 29 and has probably 5-6 more prime elite seasons left in him barring any significant injury (knock on wood). I see him and Scotty Williams really becoming the faces of the NAAF for the next couple years.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

7/27/2020 12:45 pm  #584

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

Matieau definitely deserves the MVP again this year for his excellent play. It’s a scary thought knowing he is only 29 and has probably 5-6 more prime elite seasons left in him barring any significant injury (knock on wood). I see him and Scotty Williams really becoming the faces of the NAAF for the next couple years.

After the past two years had the MVP vote within one or two votes, this year was not even close, Matieau took it by a landslide.
They certainly will both be making a mark for many years to come being two of the highest-rated players in the league.
Matieau also still has a stellar team behind him, with many just getting to their prime now. So the Royals will likely be good for a little while yet.

Also, it is that time of year for the... 

NAAF Draft Scouting Reports
Currently we have 14 players
QB - 1
RB - 2
OL - 1
WR - 2
TE - 2
DL - 2
LB - 2
DB - 1
S - 1

I might try to keep this post updated with the amount if I don't just post an update later

I am definitely in most need of
OL & DB
Try to keep it balanced between the other positions

If this helps, here are the positions in order of most spots on a roster
1 - OL = 6
2 - DL = 5
3 - WR,LB,DB = 4
4 - QB,RB,TE,S = 2
5 - K = 1

And again, just keep it clean and realistic, Thanks everyone!
SCOUTING REPORT

Last edited by Wallflower (7/27/2020 3:00 pm)

7/27/2020 4:03 pm  #585

NAAF News
Expansion Cities Being Determined
Last offseason, Ryan Jameson announced that the NAAF would be expanding to 10 teams for the 1957 season. Over the past season, the committee has been visiting different cities and hearing from many different proposals for a new team in the league. While there were up to 10 candidates that seemed to have a decent plan 8 have made it to the next stage of the process.  

Hartford, CT/Springfield, MA - Jack Forsberg and Mark Vincent, were two of the owners looking to buy the Hawks when the team was looking for a new owner, but the two never seemed to have a solid plan or even the funds to buy the team, but a couple of years later they have a better offer. They are still working with Hartford to possibly bring the NAAF back to the city after the Hawks left, but also have an option in development for heading to Springfield. They have an interest in bouncing between the two cities much like the Tigers were doing before the move to Kitchener. The possibility could create a dynamic and interesting fanbase that would spread across two different cities. Hartford is still very hesitant about building a new stadium much like they were when the Hawks were looking to do so. The good news is Springfield is all for it, so the team could end up in Springfield full time in a brand new stadium. Travel would not be a big issue being right in the New England Division and could be an interesting situation that the league is liking a lot.  

Portland, ME - Portland is a much smaller city in the mix, but the proposal was pretty strong from the ownership group led by Phillip Dockson. Dockson has a possible building to be built near downtown which would seat only 21,000 with expansion possible in the future, but they are pointing out the lack of teams in the area. The lack of football will likely create a bigger reach for the team to fans outside of the city. The NAAF has not shown true commitment, but they continue to go back to Portland to talk which might be a sign that the city is in the mix.  

Quebec City, QC - Quebec City has been a pretty big contributor to the NAAF behind the scenes. The amateur team in the city has been home to lots of NAAF talent. RB Laurent Brazeau played in QC before joining the Tigers. The owner is Pierre Lambeau, who has been running the show in QC for many years. He used to be a part of the Quebec league with the Rouge and has worked closely with their owner Jean Beaulieu. Quebec City has a population of 279,251 which is similar to Ottawa in size. Their current stadium, Stade Mathieu Tremblay, is a bit small with only 19,000 seats, but the city is open to building a bigger home for the start of the 1958 season with a proposed 35,000 seats. Of course, Quebec would work well in the North division with Montreal and Ottawa not far down the road and marks a strong bid. 

Rochester, NY - Falling in a similar situation to Long Island ahead of them, Rochester was thrown to the curb by the NYFL as they merged with the ACFL. The former owner Greg Manheim has been the leader in the bid to bring football back to Rochester. Rochester currently has a population of 332,488 and 487,000 in the metro, which is pretty average for the NAAF cities, and an old stadium in George H. Johnson Field, which holds 31,000 at the moment, but they will likely look to renovate and expand the stadium. Rochester would fit in well as an immediate rival to Buffalo and likely Ontario being around the 2 teams. Rochester is one of the strongest bids to get a team so far. 

Syracuse, NY - Syracuse also made a bid next to Rochester. The city has the same problem with the NYFL, being a smaller market, it also struggled to survive especially after the Blue Wings left the league. The possible owner, Bill Gordon, would love to take part in the NAAF and would make for a great situation if they and Rochester got teams. The big concern with Syracuse which has a population of 220,583, is the stadium which only holds 20,560. Syracuse Ballpark doesn’t make the best football stadium but has been working for the time being, but they are looking into a new location for a new building.  

Several other cities made proposals in the Northeast, but they would pull out for various reasons. Manchester, NH had a small proposal but they were not looking at expanding the quite small 16,000 season stadium. Halifax, NS was thought to have a good proposal, but the city was not exactly backing up the owner which led to them pulling out of the race. Albany, NY and Scranton, PA also took shots but had a lack of leadership to them.  

Later in the process, the league did look to widen the reach by heading to some cities outside of their region. The move might be a risk, as the ACFL and GLFL control most of the areas outside of the Northeast NAAF region. However, there are a few cities that show some promise in growth that could become decent cities.  

Indianapolis, IN - Indianapolis has been steadily growing in recent years but has always been looked at as a bit too small to the Great Lakes Football League. The population is currently 427,173, which is bigger than a few of the NAAF markets but compared to Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit, it’s a bit small.  Possible Owner Sammy Kirkdale has however proven that the city is very capable of supporting sports with the Indy 500. The city would be looking to build a new stadium which is expected to be in the 30,000-40,000 range. The city is close to accepting the deal but there may be a couple of roadblocks yet. The big concern with Indy other westward cities is the travel distance as well as the region having the Great Lakes Football League around. 

Grand Rapids, MI - Grand Rapids was another interesting spot. The possible owner, David Harrison, has been on the down-low about the plan. Almost like he has his doubts about the league. He still wants to bring football back to the city which lost its team during WW2, but would rather it be in the GLFL as some are speculating. But much like Indy, the GLFL isn’t on their side. Grand Rapids Grounds is still standing with 22,000 seats but would need lots of upgrades to be usable long term. So a new stadium would be ideal and it doesn’t seem like Harrison is wanting to commit that to the NAAF.  

Cincinnati, OH - The last entry and the latest, Cincinnati also marks the biggest with a population of 503,998 and metro of 1.2 million. However, this makes it the biggest risk of the bunch. The GLFL’s presence is quite on and off in the city with several teams that haven’t been able to stay afloat in the city. Whether bad-ownership or the GLFL’s financial troubles, the city hasn’t been able to have a consistent team. The possible owner is Vince Forsyth, who is a friend of Sammy Kirkdale’s and was a part of the current Cincinnati team that is still going through financial pains from a terrible season. The biggest roadblock could be securing stadium rights for the team with a contending team already playing at Benjamin Coalfield Stadium. The stadium is an older field that holds 43,470. Not only could that be a challenge but also the GLFL could double down on trying to win the city if the NAAF tries to put a team there. 

The group of cities out west do provide some intriguing opportunities for the NAAF, but there is a lot of uncertainty about them for sure. Especially when considering travel. Though adding two of them would be able to help in that regard. The concerns about Grand Rapids seem to outweigh the benefit of heading to Michigan, as well as the risk of trying to target a bigger market like Cincinnati. 

The league is looking to cut down the list around draft time before making the final decision prior to the start of the 1956 season so the cities have the time to prepare stadiums, brands, and coaching.  

As for the expansion draft process, which the league wants to improve on from the year Worcester joined. The likely changes will see more players being left available for the new teams to pick, but also allow those teams to maintain more of those players. Throughout the process, Ryan Jameson has been concerned about the players’ opinions on this. He understands some frustrations athletes face during their careers being a former professional athlete himself and wants to make sure everything is fair between the league, the owners, and the players. In order to accomplish this, he has been working with former Independents QB, Larry Larson. Larson has started to represent players in the league talks and has been involved in the expansion process. Jameson and Larson have been looking at developing a player committee with a group of current players to also be involved in the expansion process and other situations moving forward.  

Last edited by Wallflower (7/27/2020 4:15 pm)

7/27/2020 6:16 pm  #586

I'd support Portland getting a team, and I would caution choosing Quebec City, since that market is largely French speaking it might cause problems working with an English speaking league. Same problem existed with the Quebec Nordiques of the NHL.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

7/27/2020 6:27 pm  #587

Being from Michigan it would be interesting to have a team in Grand Rapids.

7/27/2020 7:29 pm  #588

Thoughts on the Choices

Hartford/Springfield: Personally I'd lean more into the Springfield side of things, since it sounds like Hartford wants to distance itself away from the league over the stadium issue. Plus who's going to cheer for them after Long Island took their team and had success with it?

Portland: I think that's a smart choice since it also opens up the league to more of the Maritimes.

Quebec City: Another strong bid here, plus it can obviously kick start a rivalry with the Rouge.

Rochester: I like the idea of going with another Long Island type city who had been wronged by the NYFL

Syracuse: Personally I think it's the weaker of the two New York bids.

Indy: I think it could be great if the league jumped onto the city as it grows, but it also the most westward of the teams.

Grand Rapids: I'm not feeling this one, I don't trust the owner above all else.

Cincy: I think the League should definitely TRY to get into Cincy but I also advise caution when trying to break past the Pennsylvania barrier

7/27/2020 8:06 pm  #589

Portland is a definite yes from me, might even take over Buffalo as my favorite if it happens

For the second expansion team I would either go with Quebec or Rochester

7/27/2020 9:11 pm  #590

Quick thoughts on expansion cities. (Hope it helps)

Hartford, CT/Springfield, MA - The two seem very unorganized, which is not good when looking to return back  to a market with question marks all around it. I could not see why Hartford would commit to a new stadium knowing they would only get half the revenue.

Portland, ME - Possible doesn't sound promising, and 21,000 is an impressive number but not impressive enough to make me forget about the smaller population. Travel would also be brutal.

Quebec City, QC - I could see this happening. They aren't unfamiliar with anything going on, and that should give some confidence to the NAAF. Don't see any problems here other than cutting down the amateur lifeline to the league, or pissing of the owner of the team already there. There seems to be enough communication, though.

Rochester, NY - I like Rochester as a whole, but they don't seem right when thinking about expansion. There is so much opportunity to reach out, but the city seems to limit that by being in the tight circle the league is confined to. I could be completely wrong.

Syracuse, NY - If anyone, it seems like Rochester is the better option of the two who are sharing the same problem. If there is one who is given life, make it Rochester. If both get a team, I get worried due to the reason that Rochester scares me.... times 2.

Indianapolis, IN - Pull the rug from under the GLFL, and they will regret it so much. This league needs to make a statement, and using Indianapolis would be key. They neglect it for being too small for them, but the spot is prime time for a developing league like the NAAF. If the travel could be stormed through for a few years, then this could be very beneficial.

Grand Rapids, MI - Don't know the population off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure GR is pretty big, only being overshadowed by the powerhouse that is Detroit. The NAAF need to make it clear why the GLFL would have no reason to pick GR with other large cities still being denied. Hopefully, this would get Harrison all in. This is a unique market, haven't seen it used very often.

Cincinnati, OH - From the looks of it, Cincinnati might be a trap. It looks so good to the eyes, but what would you rather have when exploring foreign turf, the largest gem or the most valuable? I don't think its time to take the GLFL head on. I say sneak up on them, then strike hard.

My short winded preference? Indy and QC... Rochester trailing right behind.

Board footera