Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2020 5:39 pm  #381

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

One day, the NAAF will come back to Hartford.

6/01/2020 4:26 pm  #382

Jeff Montgomery’s Draft List - (1st and 2nd Round Talents)
1 - DB Alexander Bradley - Johnny Singleton
2 - DL Vernon Spears - Johnny Singleton
3 - LB Elijah Goldwater - Abigail Winters
4 - WR Chester Bennett - Johnny Singleton
5 - OL Kazimir Smirnov - Barry Williams
6 - LB Silas O’Brien - George Stefanakis
7 - WR Darryl Duke - Roger Roy
8 - TE Eli Grant - Lawrence Gainsborough
9 - WR Ronald “Grumpy” Vernon - Hal Fisher
10 - DB Mario Richard - Dewey Thomas
11 - DL Clyde Dale - Roger Roy
12 - LB David Marx - Barry Williams
13 - OL Moses Griffin - Johnny Singleton
14 - QB Caldwell Higgins III - Lawrence Gainsborough
15 - DL William “Rock” Collins - George Stafanakis
16 - QB Stanislav Ovechkin - Barry Williams
17 - RB Harry Robinson - Barry Williams
18 - OL Nazario Baldassare - Barry Williams 

Draft Order and Needs
1 - Long Island Hawks - DL, LB, OL
Picks: 1, 9, 15, 25
2 - Worcester Athletics - DB, OL, DL, LB
Picks: 2, 10, 18, 26
3 - Ontario Tigers - DL, OL
Picks: 3, 11, 19, 27
4 - Buffalo Blue Wings - DB, LB, WR
Picks: 4, 12, 20, 28
5 - Boston Independents - DL, LB, OL, QB
Picks: 5, 13, 21, 29
6 - Ottawa Royals - LB, DL, WR, DB
Picks: 6, 14, 17, 22, 23, 30
7 - Providence Gold Stars - S, OL, DL
Picks: 7, 31
8 - Montreal Rouge - DB, S, OL, DL
Picks: 8, 16, 24, 32 

Any Mock Drafts? Who’s going #1? 

Last edited by Wallflower (6/02/2020 11:58 am)

6/01/2020 4:56 pm  #383

Alexander Bradley might just be the best DB prospect to enter the draft in NAAF history. An athletic freak who is faster then almost every other defensive play in the league. He is my mock first overall pick but I could see him going 2nd to Worcester and create a defensive force with Scotty Williams.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

6/01/2020 4:57 pm  #384

I'm going to say the Hawks take Elijah Goldwater. With help needed at both the first and second levels of the defense in Long Island, taking a LB that can help with the run, can blitz, and potentially can be a defensive leader and play-caller seems like the way to go.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/02/2020 5:04 pm  #385

Before I jump into the draft just a heads up I forgot about the Gold Stars trading their 2nd rounder to the Hawks so the 15th pick is the Hawks. As well I don't know if I will continue to give a report on every player, maybe the first couple of rounds, but I will see how things go. 

1954 NAAF Draft 

ROUND 1 
Welcome once again to the draft. All 8 teams are looking to make improvements to gain the upper hand in reaching the top by the end of the season. The recently relocated Hawks will once again have the first pick in the draft and have many needs. However, the player they are expected to take is still split between DB Alexander Bradley, DL Vernon Spears, and LB Elijah Goldwater. No one truly knows who they are going to grab. We will find out shortly as Ryan Jameson will announce the selection shortly. In fact, here he is to announce the first selection in the draft. 

Ryan Jameson: “Hello everyone, welcome to the 3rd annual NAAF Draft. Before we get ready with the Long Island Hawks’ first pick, I want to welcome the new ownership group to the NAAF family. We are truly excited to see the NAAF in a new market this season. Now I have one other note before the selection and that is there has been a trade… 

TRADE ALERT
Ryan Jameson: 
“The Long Island Hawks have traded Defensive Lineman Sean Bowen to the Buffalo Blue Wings for the 4th Overall Selection, Offensive Lineman Bruce Wesley, Running Back Darryl Whitney, and Buffalo’s 1955 3rd Round Selection.” 

Shock filled the football world, the Hawks have sent the best DL in the league to Buffalo for a load of assets. Buffalo adds to an already solid defense and makes them even more of a contender. They were not needing the 4th pick desperately and wanted to have a shot at the top-dog on defense. Ottawa, Ontario, and Providence had all rumoured to have attempted to acquire the player.  

The reason for the trade is that Bowen has a Player-Option next season which he will likely decline and become a free agent, as the Hawks haven’t been competitive and were only getting worse over the past few years. Bowen had signed the 5-year deal giving the Hawks 3 years to try and turn things around. The first two years had been rough and Tillman saw the opportunity to get lots of value out of Bowen and pulled the trigger on sending him to the other division. They add a young OL and RB to hopefully help the team in the future alongside the picks from this year and next.  

Now on to the selections

1 - Long Island Hawks - DL Vernon Spears - New York City, NY
The Hawks instantly replace Sean Bowen with the top Defensive Lineman in the draft. Spears should be a force come opening kickoff. He will be very excited to remain near home playing in the NAAF.

Johnny Singleton’s Scouting Report
Spears is a physically dominant player. He wins battles with his sheer strength, but also with strong fundamentals. Many college QB’s feared his presence on the field and he will likely continue that onto the NAAF turf. His one downside may be his quickness and durability. With his size, he isn’t the most graceful and he may also get fatigued quickly. Training will be a major focus for the player if he wants to truly make a long-lasting statement at the next level. 

2 - Worcester Athletics - DB Alexander Bradley - Newark, NJ
The Athletics add the possibly best biggest talent the NAAF draft has seen so far. The Athletics don’t have much on the back end which makes Bradley the best fit for the team to make an immediate impact. LB Scotty Williams and S Shawn Jensen will be glad to have a partner in crime. 

Bradley is one of the most athletically gifted prospects to enter the NAAF draft. Playing many positions before and in college, he has all-around abilities that make him a scary threat on defense. He has the speed to keep up with the best of the best, while also the footwork to make it tough for even the most elusive receivers to getaway. Bradley has the potential to surpass Lee Wolfe at the position, especially if he stays healthy. A major concern is that an injury could be fatal to someone who relies on a lot of athleticism.  

3 - Ontario Tigers - OL Kazmir Smirnov - Queens, NY
The Tigers continue to add to the offensive line with their second straight OL at the 3rd overall pick. Ontario has one of the best all-around teams in the league, however, they still have plenty of holes on the line on both sides of the ball. They would have loved to take Spears, but Long Island were there to take him #1. 

Barry Williams’ Scouting Report
Kaz is the top OL in the draft this year, he has all the best features that make up a great OL. Strong footwork, strength, and discipline, even an ability to block in open space. He also has strength for run blocking being able to make holes for the running back which is important for a team with Laurent Barzeau on it. The concern with Smirnov is the Torn ACL he had in college, so his speed isn't quite the same and there could be concerns about the durability, but his skill outweighs the risks. 

4 - Long Island Hawks (via Buffalo) - LB Elijah Goldwater - Portland, ME
The Hawks add another major piece to their rebuilding defense with Goldwater. The team had lost their centerpiece in the Linebacking core with Roland Hensley going to the Tigers, so they get the replacement a year later with a young Goldwater.  

Abigail Winters’ Scouting Report
Elijah Goldwater is a big linebacker that loves to power through his opponents. He becomes quite unstoppable if he gets going and his size only makes him harder to block or avoid. He is a quiet and reserved player, but on the field, he is a leader in the way he plays and should help the Hawks get going on defense. 

5 - Boston Independents - LB Silas O’Brien - Falmouth, MA
The Independents decide to add to their aging LB core with O’Brien in the first round. Hopefully, the young defender will pair up well with last year’s second-round pick LB Brent Harper, to make up the future for Boston down the middle.  

George Stefanakis’ Scouting Report
O’Brien is a very level headed player and will be a good match for Boston. He is smart and has all the fundamentals down, and has a great ability to know exactly how to attack. However, he can be a bit slow and doesn’t have the block shedding strength that others do. 

6 - Ottawa Royals - WR Chester Bennett - Islip, NY
Ottawa grabs what could be their eventual replacement for the aging Allen Atkins with their first-round pick. While the Royals do need help on the defensive end, Otis Ward could not pass up on the top receiver in the draft.

Typical deep threat WR. Lightning fast and has some of the best route running in the league, becoming a perfect cross between WR Allen Atkins and WR Samuel Floyd. A major issue could be his hands, as he has been known to drop some easy passes and gets a little ahead of himself when making a catch. Hopefully, with Jean Matieau throwing him the ball and the great offensive staff in Ottawa, he can develop into the next great player at the position. 

7 - Providence Gold Stars - DL Clyde Dale - Springfield, MA
The Gold Stars had only one selection in the first 3 rounds and so they focused on adding in a position that they need help in. They decide to reach a bit for DL Clyde Dale. After gambling on QB Connor O’Rourke last year, Virgil Gross decided to focus more on the DL and he hopes Dale will be a solid addition to a strong team. 

Roger Roy’s Scouting Report
He is a bit of a smaller lineman, which may give him disadvantages over the more imposing NAAF O-linemen. However, his size allows for more speed, which is paired up with strong technical skills which will allow for the player to break through the line and get after the QB. Dale does need a bit more development but should be a solid player for the future.  

8 - Montreal Rouge - DB Mario Richard - Montreal, QB
No surprise that Guy Clarke sticks close to home on this one. The team has had issues in the secondary despite their championship run and Richard is a great player to add and hopefully help them immediately. 

Dewey Thomas’ Scouting Report
*Quick note: Richard was originally a safety, but I changed it needing more DB’s.*
Richard is a social butterfly, some call a ladies man, but on the field, he is a strong DB. While also being an option at safety, Richard has great quickness that allows him to keep up with receivers and move across the field fast. He has some issues with positioning and doesn’t always get the height that the receivers can, but he has solid hands and if he gets into the right position can make any team pay. 

That concludes the opening round of the NAAF Draft. Other things to look out for in the upcoming rounds, Ottawa sits in the 3rd round with 3 selections, will they use them to trade with others, or will they sit tight and grab 3 youngsters. Buffalo is the only team yet to make a pick, what will they do when it comes to the second round? No QB’s have gone yet, though many suspect Boston will take one soon, but will another team take a chance on a new QB? We will see what happens in the next few rounds. 

6/02/2020 5:19 pm  #386

My lord, look at my disaster amongst the prospects with such nice names, I find humor in some really dumb things. I am happy that Clyde S Dale might be looking at a championship early on! Unsure of Buffalo's move, but I will trust it. I like some more D in Montreal, they will be a brick wall soon. Shutdown and Shutout, Shutout, Shutout!

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (6/02/2020 5:20 pm)

6/02/2020 6:05 pm  #387

I absolutely love the Alexander Bradley pick by Worcester. He will fit seamlessly into that young defense alongside Williams and Jensen. I’m really excited to see what that trio can do next season

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

6/02/2020 9:13 pm  #388

I love that Silas O'Brien ended up on Boston, with Falmouth being right there, I'm sure he was an Independents fan as it is.

I love Long Island's moves. They got younger, and more talented all around. They may have given up the best player involved in the entire deal, but they became a more well-rounded team because of it.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/03/2020 1:04 pm  #389

Hopefully more Dewey Thomas guys can come in future rounds

6/03/2020 4:34 pm  #390

1954 NAAF DRAFT - Rounds 2-4

2ND ROUND 

9 - Long Island Hawks - WR Darryl Duke - Boston, MA
Roger Roy’s Scouting Report
Duke has an interesting backstory, being a bricklayer in his Dad’s business. He developed a lot of his skill within that, catching bricks and other things. However, it seems to be good training that makes him into an unusual receiver. He is a very flexible receiver despite having a bit more strength than a typical receiver. He sticks to the script and doesn't take huge risks, because he didn’t play as much competitively at a younger age because of his commitment to work, but throughout college has developed well and should make a solid receiver in the future.  

10 - Worcester Athletics - WR Ronald Vernon - Rochester, NY
Hal Fisher’s Scouting Report
Known as “Grumpy” Vernon for his tendency to wear an angry face on the sideline. Also playing power forward in college, Vernon has a great ability to box out and get positioning on DB’s and has the vertical to make the tough catch. He does have issues with speed but his size will help him. 

11 - Ontario Tigers - DL William Collins - Utica, NY
Collins is a bit of a prankster, but a premier pass rusher. He is a bit of a loud personality and loves to play the hero. This may cause him to make more risky moves which can work in his favour, as he has become a major powerhouse behind the line. He can be the player that the O-line can completely miss and leave the QB exposed. The risks he takes, however, can leave him out of position and give running backs room.  

12 - Buffalo Blue Wings - DB Amos King - Center Sandwich, NH
The Blue Wings are the first to go off the board with DB Amos King. I projected him to go in the third round, but Buffalo needs to rebuild the secondary after losing Oscar Patterson to Retirement. King is a bit undersized which means he can be outmatched easily, but he has a ton of heart and never gives up on the play. He is a hard worker that will need to develop, but he should be committed to doing so. 

13 - Boston Independents - QB Caldwell Higgins III - London, ON
The Gains Report
The top QB in this year's class will not be the immediate impact that both Lee Rogers and Riley Kiernan were before him, but with the right development, he could become a strong starter. He is a classic pocket passer which is not much different from the style of Larry Larson, but he has questionable arm strength that he will have to try and improve. 

14 - Ottawa Royals - LB David Marx - Yonkers, NY
Barry Williams’ Scouting Report
David Marx is a solid all-around linebacker. Good tackler that can deliver the hard hit, and has good vision on the field. He can get tangled up in blocks, and his instincts can be a bit off at times which can lead him to be a bit out of position. With some development, Marx should be able to make the right decisions and be a solid LB. 

15 - Long Island Hawks (via Providence) - OL Moses Griffin - Burlington, VT
Griffin is a big but athletic OL, with highlights of him pancaking defenders in the open field, he has the ability to make a huge impact on the field. He is at his best when blocking for the run and opening holes for the running back. He doesn’t have the same strengths around pass coverage and can make plenty of mistakes when blocking for the pass, but is not the biggest issue and can be fixed with time.  

16 - Montreal Rouge - S Oliver Bergeron - Quebec City, QB
The Gains ReportBergeron is the top safety in the draft, and Montreal grabs him with the final pick of the second round. Overall Bergeron is a pretty safe and meticulous defender, has a conservative manner, and will worry about the basics first over taking risks. The conservative side can be a bit of a weakness and could allow a play to happen instead of going for a knockdown. 

3RD ROUND

17 - Ottawa Royals (via Long Island) - OL Charlie Bennett - Hamilton, ON
Barry Williams SR
Good for pass coverage, quick, but struggles against more skilled opponents 

18 - Worcester Athletics - OL Nazario Baldassare - Bronx, NY
Barry Williams’ SR
Strong, good on the edge, and can block in space, however, needs to work on sustaining blocks without holding.  

TRADE ALERT
The Ontario Tigers traded down in the draft with the Buffalo Blue Wings to acquire DL John Prince since Buffalo picked up Bowen and has an extra player on the team. Buffalo then gets the 19th pick and Ontario gets the 28th. 

19 - Buffalo Blue Wings (via Ontario) - WR LeRoy Krueger - Hartford, CT
George Stefanakis’ SR
All-around average WR, can make some great catches and miss some as well, should be a good depth pick up for the Blue Wings 

20 - Buffalo Blue Wings - LB Eoghan Collins - Boston, MA
The Gains Report
Former Rugby player, super physical, great against the run, but still has to learn a lot about the sport of football 

21 - Boston Independents - DB Carson Scott - Mississauga, ON
Barry Williams’ SR
*I changed his hometown to Mississauga so he can be the younger brother of Tigers’ DB Jesse Scott.*
Jesse’s younger brother Carson lags a bit behind his brother in skill but has lots of speed that should help him in tough situations, but some character issues may arise on and off the field.  

22 - Ottawa Royals - RB Harry Robinson - Hamilton, ON
Barry Williams’ SR
Robinson has a lot of potential on the back end, very explosive, can break a play long if he gets into space, however not the best blocker and reader of the defense.  

23 - Ottawa Royals (via Providence) - DB Petr Westerburg - New Haven, CT
The Gains ReportGreat at keeping on his man and can create turnovers, but can be a little bit of a hero, will go for the ball over the tackle. 

24 - Montreal Rouge - TE Eli Grant - Burlington, ON
The Gains Report
Grew up on the farm in Ontario, but has become a great blocking Tight End, still struggles with the catch and isn’t high in football IQ 

4TH ROUND 

25 - Long Island Hawks - QB Stanislav Ovechkin - Brooklyn, NY
Barry Williams’ SR
A mobile threat, that has accuracy on the run, but lacks the arm strength to get the ball down the field. High awareness and can extend plays or let it go for too long. 

26 - Worcester Athletics - LB Dick Steele - Rochester, NY
Dewey Thomas’ SR
Physical LB, not scared to get involved in the play, has quite the wild personality. 

27 - Ontario Tigers - DL Liam Hart - Boston, MA
Barry Williams’ SR
The Younger brother of Benjamin Hart who went to the Hawks last year 2 spots ahead of Liam. Plays better than his skill set may expect to play, never gives up and finds ways to make a difference, but need to refine a lot of fundamentals and can get off balance. 

28 - Ontario Tigers (via Buffalo) - OL Christopher Søndergaard - Halifax, NS
Barry Williams’ SR
Søndergaard has lots of upside as an OL, his size allows him to be an anchor on the line, however, he is very raw and needs to improve a lot technically and more experience. 

29 - Boston Independents - S Leroy Cameron - Wilmington, DL
Johnny Singleton’s SR
Gritty, likes to hit players, which many WR’s have feared. However, he has average speed and his coverage skills a little below average. Lots of development needed. 

30 - Ottawa Royals - WR Toni Radovanovic - Staten Island, NY
Barry Williams’ SR
Radovanovic was not a certain selection to go in the draft, but he has solid hands and leaping ability, but his size gives him a disadvantage, not a receiver you will build your team around, but good depth 

31 - Providence Gold Stars - S Daniel Farrell - West Newbury, MA
Barry Williams’ SR
Good Instincts, good football IQ and vision, lacks in more skill-based areas, not as fast, but a solid safety. 

32 - Montreal Rouge - RB Tony Simmons - Baltimore, MD
Johnny Singleton’s SR
Built like a LB, lends to the power run, with a bit of elusiveness, but has lost a bit of that skill with an on and off ankle injury.  

*for the 3rd year in a row a team has taken a RB for the final selection of the draft.* 

Board footera