Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2020 4:00 pm  #351

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Update on the World Around Hybrid Gridiron Football

Since the NAAF formed in 1949 and began to use the new set of mixed rules from American and Canadian football, the world has changed quite a bit. Many leagues post-WW2 were region-based much like before the war. New England, New York, Pennsylvania, a mix of Mid-Atlantic States, and plenty of regions across the States, all had their leagues. Unfortunately, because of the war, many were struggling and down to 3-6 teams each. The NEFC merged into the NAAF and created a new way to play. The new style of football has taken over the cities that are a part of the NAAF. Boston and Buffalo have already become heavy centres for the sport with many people using the hybrid rules over the traditional American ones. Even the colleges in those cities have started to transition to the new rules to develop talent for the NAAF.  

Montreal and Ottawa have also followed behind in this as Canadian football has taken a hit in both of those cities. Surprisingly, the Quebec Ametuer league (formerly professional) that the Rouge used to play in has changed to the new rules. Ontario in general still is a strong centre for Canadian football and the OFU owns the area, which explains a lot of the Tigers’ struggles.  With the deals that the NAAF got with CBC and CBS has truly made the league stick out as many American football fans don’t have football to watch during the summer with the seasons starting in October. Because of the later start the fans who are football hungry were more likely to watch the CBS broadcasts and it has already caused some waves in other places in the states.   

The newfound popularity that the NAAF has found in the USA and Eastern Canada, has already started to affect the rest of the football world. The biggest changes have happened within the Atlantic coast leagues. With the formation of the larger NAAF, many leagues have seen its success and have started merging to create bigger leagues. In 1951, the Pennsylvania Football Association was struggling, and was losing some big players or young talent (QB Angelo Medina most notably). The league tried to recover and merged with the Mid-Atlantic Football League to form the now Atlantic Coast Football League, the ACFL has been more successful than the Pennsylvania league on its own. Another league that has taken a shot is the New York Football League. And as of this past season the league is joining the ACFL and will also be dropping several of their teams and went to just 4 teams this past season dropping Rochester, Syracuse, and Long Island teams. The remaining teams played out the 1953 season but only Brooklyn, Newark, and New York teams will join the league. The ACFL now consists of 8 teams making it now level with the NAAF for the largest professional football league in North America. The league contains teams from Baltimore, Brooklyn, Newark, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Richmond, and Washington DC. There are also many leagues in the midwest that are considering merging, but the ACFL is currently the primary competition that the NAAF faces. 

If there are any more specific questions about what I’ve explained here, feel free to ask.
And if you are wondering about the rules of the NAAF, they are in the original post of the thread so just go there to check it out. This is just a small snippet of the world, and the leagues will come up when they are important to the story and if any major changes occur.  

5/26/2020 5:20 pm  #352

I would love love LOVE to see a merge between the 2

5/26/2020 5:30 pm  #353

I could see the NAAF taking a shot at the teams that were dropped to probe the market..places like Long Island and Newark are particularly intriguing

5/26/2020 6:47 pm  #354

The likelyhood of a merger between the NAAF and the ACFL is very low, due primarily to the fact that both leagues play a vastly different style and the decision over what rule set to use would create major problems, not to mention the differing times of the season. The NAAF occurs in the summer while the ACFL plays in the fall. 

5/26/2020 7:21 pm  #355

If I can pitch a question, what of Football leagues in other parts of New England? (I.E New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine?)

5/26/2020 7:38 pm  #356

Darknes wrote:

If I can pitch a question, what of Football leagues in other parts of New England? (I.E New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine?)

There are primarily amateur leagues that are in place throughout New England, many of which are considering the transition to the new rules. The Worcester Athletics before rejoining their NEFC counterparts, were in an amateur league mainly in Mass. Many of the cities have had teams in the NEFC in the past, in fact the Manchester Blue Shirts won the McCallister Cup back in 1919. With everything that happened during the Great Depression and the War, those teams weren't able to keep up the costs at the professional level so they folded or returned to smaller regional leagues. In the end, the New England Football Championship was a pretty big league and covered most of the area. When the league became the NAAF they pretty much covered the area, and early plans especially with the re-addition of Worcester were to continue to expand in those areas, but through the first 5 seasons things have changed quite a bit.  

5/27/2020 2:58 pm  #357

1953 NAAF Awards

Most Valuable Player - QB Bruce Woodard PRO
In a very close vote that was tied until the final few votes were placed, Woodard’s season which brought the Gold Stars into the spotlight this season as true contenders. His 24 Passing Touchdowns is a career high in what was his best season of his long career. Woodard is now the oldest MVP winner at the prime age of 36. Wolfe had one less vote than his teammate and Brewer was just one behind Wolfe. 

Playoff MVP - RB Élisée Marchal MTL
While DL Zakary Turbide took home the McCallister MVP award, Marchal was the best player throughout both of Montreal’s wins in the playoffs. Marchal wins his second of these awards with 3 touchdowns in the playoffs and over 300 yards on the ground combined. 

Offensive Player of the Year - RB Élisée Marchal MTL
Another close vote that leaves Marchal as the offensive player of the year. The 3 time MVP has never won the OPOTY award, but leading the way for all Running Backs earns him the honour this season beating out Jean Matieau in second. 

Defensive Player of the Year - DB Lee Wolfe PRO
Coming just one vote short of the MVP award, Wolfe takes the DPOTY award by one vote as well. This marks his third DPOTY award which breaks the tie he had with LB Quinton Brewer at 2 going into this season. Wolfe is one of the greatest and will continue to dominate the field for several more years. 

Special Teams Player of the Year - K Arthur Kettinger MTL
His first season will be one to remember as the rookie kicker was a major factor for the Rouge all season. He tied the league lead in field goals and will become a major part of the Rouge for years to come. He might have solidified his place after going 5 for 5 in the McCallister Cup. 

Rookie of the Year  - LB Rusty McVee MTL
The Linebacker was the most notable rookie this season. Most others fell behind the spotlight, but McVee was the perfect partner for Quinton Brewer and made Montreal’s defense a powerhouse once again. McVee will hopefully become a staple for the long run in Montreal. 

Coach of the Year - Perry Powell PRO 
Perry Powell was at the centre of drama just a couple seasons ago with former Head Coach Gilbert Dale, but since then Powell has take over the role and has helped give the Gold Stars excel to new heights with their best season in years. The team looks to be finally getting behind Powell and will hope he can bring them back to the top and their first McCallister Cup since ‘41. 

Breakout Player of the Year - WR John Osborn PRO
After being dealt to the Gold Stars for WR Eugene Burns, Osborn was able to find his place as Providence’s second receiver and truly broke through this season. He had flashes of greatness last season, but he has solidified his spot as a strong receiver in the NAAF with  this season. 

All Star Rosters
Offense:
QB Bruce Woodard PRO (1)
RB Élisée Marchal MTL (5)
OL Andrew Furrson BOS (4)
OL James Knowles OTT (5)
OL Casey York BUF (4)
OL Eugésippe Chalifoux MTL (1)
OL Randy McFadden BOS (1)
WR Allen Atkins OTT (5)
WR Peter Brooks PRO (3)
WR Eugene Burns OTT (2)
TE Marion Warren PRO (4)

Defense:
DL Napoléon Chevalier MTL (5)
DL Sean Bowen HAR (4)
DL Jonathan Brown BUF (5)
DL Robert Garrison ON (1)
LB Roger Morrow PRO (1)
LB Quinton Brewer MTL (5)
LB Scotty Williams WOR (2)
DB Lee Wolfe PRO (5)
DB Victor Bean PRO (2)
DB Louie White ON (3)
S Fraizer Brooks BUF (1)

Special Teams:
K Arthur Kettinger MTL (1)

1954 McCallister Cup Host - Lansdowne Park - Ottawa, ON
The Capital of Canada will host the 36th McCallister Cup. Lansdowne is a historic park and with this season being a possible final one for the stadium it might be the perfect finale for the Stadium. It will mark the return to Canada for the McCallister Cup after the last 2 seasons were in Buffalo and Providence.  

New Crossover Rule to be Put in Place
The vote was heavily a yes to the addition of the crossover rule that would allow for a team to make the playoffs from the opposite division if they have a better record than the would-be playoff participant within that division. The change comes in light of the Buffalo Blue Wings missing the playoffs at 6-4 while Boston was able to compete despite a 4-6 record. The league hopes this will create more competition late in the season as it will be harder for teams to clinch playoffs as early. 

5/27/2020 3:59 pm  #358

I voted for Wolfe for MVP and I believe that the defense was really the more important part of the Gold Stars. But I’m still glad to see Woodard win the MVP and get recognition for his great season.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

5/27/2020 4:22 pm  #359

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

I voted for Wolfe for MVP and I believe that the defense was really the more important part of the Gold Stars. But I’m still glad to see Woodard win the MVP and get recognition for his great season.

Same. I had Wolfe as MVP, but felt Woodard would've been OPOY.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/27/2020 4:40 pm  #360

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

Same. I had Wolfe as MVP, but felt Woodard would've been OPOY.

It was interesting seeing the votes come in as all three nominees had a lead at some point. Brewer and Wolfe traded early on, but by the end, Woodard snuck out with one more vote. When I relinked the poll yesterday all three were tied. However, the OPOTY was not even close as Marchal took that by a landslide. I really thought this year would see a defensive player especially with the impact defense had on the season overall.

Board footera