Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2023 7:46 pm  #2361

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

1970 Free Agency Part 2

Following the draft, most of the remaining free agents were able to find homes relatively quickly. The remaining 4 players from the top 25 free agents (DB Jayson Klyde, RB Ronald O’Sullivan, WR Doug Piva, and QB David Simmons) all found a home. DB Jayson Klyde would ink a 1-year, $20,000 deal to head west to the Minnesota Serpents. RB Ronald O’Sullivan would head back to Pittsburgh where he finished last season. The Blacksmiths enjoyed having him as an extra receiving option. WR Doug Piva would go to Louisville to compete for WR3, and finally the former 1st Round QB, David Simmons would head to Long Island. Simmons had been someone that the Raiders were interested in when he was entering the draft in 1967, but the team did not have a 1st round pick that season. 

The Serpents continued to be busy after landing Klyde making a pair of trades to move some talent from some crowded positions. 26-year-old, WR Edward Webb was not happy about having a limited role during his first season with the Serpents, so he wanted either to have a larger role or to be traded. In the end, he would be dealt to the Providence Gold Stars along with a 1971 4th Round Pick in exchange for 24-year-old OL Bobby Shields and a 1971 3rd Round Pick. They would then add WR Denis Langlois in free agency to fill in the extra WR spot.

Also, with the signing of Jayson Klyde, the team had a crowded secondary as well so they shipped 25-year-old, DB Ross Conroy to the Raiders for veteran DB Nick Ulbach and a 2nd Round Pick in 1971. Ulbach needed to come over for cap reasons and for Minnesota to maintain some depth. 

==============================================================================
Also, last call for Hall of Fame votes, I will likely make a decision in the next day or so, but I thought I would remind anyone who still wanted to get a vote in.

***VOTE***

3/26/2023 11:19 pm  #2362

Happy to see Al Washington in the number two spot in Louisville (for now at least), something Im assuming from the fact that the Thunder didn't resign Simmons.

3/26/2023 11:45 pm  #2363

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Happy to see Al Washington in the number two spot in Louisville (for now at least), something Im assuming from the fact that the Thunder didn't resign Simmons.

Ah, not to burst your bubble, but Washington is slotted 4th behind a pair of QBs the Thunder signed in Matt Fletcher and, your other guy, Xerxes Wynn. Washington is a bit of a project and will likely take a few seasons to develop and who knows how good he gets yet, but he's a long way from starting. 

3/27/2023 12:35 am  #2364

Wallflower wrote:

TheEnigmaticOne wrote:

Ah, not to burst your bubble, but Washington is slotted 4th behind a pair of QBs the Thunder signed in Matt Fletcher and, your other guy, Xerxes Wynn. Washington is a bit of a project and will likely take a few seasons to develop and who knows how good he gets yet, but he's a long way from starting. 

Cool, didn't know if Xerxes was still kicking. Thanks for the clarification.

3/30/2023 11:42 am  #2365

Kinda worries me that I didn’t see any movement from Halifax in the second half of free agency, I guess we will see how this goes. Can’t wait to see how 1970 goes!

4/02/2023 4:58 pm  #2366

1970 Hall of Fame Class

Member #25: QB Jean Matieau - Ottawa, ON - 1st Ballot
In 1949, Jean Matieau entered the NAAF in what was his second year of professional football as the backup QB of the Ottawa Royals. The young gunslinger would spend the next 3 seasons waiting for an opportunity under QB Duane Logan. After Logan struggled in 1951, Matieau was given the reins in 1952. Right from his first game as a starter, Matieau was a star. He would throw a current league record 30 touchdowns in 1952, leading the Royals to their first division title and earning his first MVP. The Royals lost in the playoffs in both 1952 and 1953, but they would eventually break through in 1954, making the McCallister Cup in Ottawa and defeating the Boston Independents. Matieau continued to roll with his second MVP season in 1955 while leading the Royals to a 9-1 record and a 2nd straight McCallister Cup win. In 1956, the Royals were back in the big game yet again. This time, the game went to overtime for the first time ever and Matieau and the Royals would have a token moment. On the infamous play, WR Mackenzie Jones would take a pitch before tossing it back to Matieau who would hit WR Chester Bennett for a game-clinching touchdown for their 3rd consecutive Cup. Matieau would suffer his first McCallister Cup defeat in 1957, falling to Buffalo in his 4th straight appearance. Then in 1958, Matieau would have his 3rd MVP season while leading the Royals to the only perfect 12-0 regular season in league history. Unfortunately, they would fall short in their 5th straight McCallister Cup appearance failing to complete the perfect season. Matieau bounced back from the loss with vengeance leading the Royals to their 6th straight appearance in the big game, and this time leading them to victory to capture cup number 4. Matieau would make his final McCallister Cup appearance the following season in 1960 but fell short of a 5th title. Matieau remained a solid QB over his last few seasons, but his career was cut somewhat short after suffering a major injury in 1963. However, Matieau fought back and was able to play one last season the next year in 1964. To the surprise of no one, Matieau enters the Hall as a first-ballot member and one of the greatest to ever do it.  

Matieau will always be one of the first superstar players in the league. One of my personal favourite players which I never expected to be as dominant as he was especially when I had started the project. I’m not surprised he gets in, though I was a little surprised when he was not unanimously voted in I suppose some expected that he would have enough votes anyways…or still dislike him for the dominance.

Member #26: OL Cliff Strautzenberger - Cheesequake, NJ - 1st Ballot - Creator: Dan O’Mac
With the 2nd overall pick, the Worcester Athletics would select Cliff Strautzenberger to become an anchor on their O-line for many years to come. Strauztenberger remained the only O-lineman to be taken with the 2nd pick until Ward Briscoe was selected in 1959 by the Athletics. The big and powerful blocker made a name for himself being one of the roughest and toughest blockers in the league. He made that name quickly after being named an All-Star in just his second season in the league. While he would not be named an All-Star in 1955, he would be named an All-Star in the next 7 seasons from 1956-1962. In 1960, Strauztenberger was named an alternate captain of the Athletics. He served as an alternate captain for just a year and a half before he was traded to the Montreal Rouge during the 1961 season. In 8 and a half seasons with the Athletics, Strautzenberger was an All-Star 7 times and had 1 appearance in the McCallister Cup. He would finish the 1961 season with the Rouge but would enter free agency in the offseason. Strautzenberger would sign with the Louisville Thunder to be reunited with former Worcester teammate, LB Scotty Williams. That season, the Thunder would go on to win the McCallister Cup, giving Strautzenberger his first ring. He would play one more season with the Thunder before he landed in Buffalo for his final season where he would capture his second title to end his career on top.

Fun fact, I think his name was originally Stautzenberger, but a typo on my end turned into me just thinking that was his name, and well just like my misspelling of the Athletics for many seasons, it’s stuck like that! Anyway, congrats to Dan on your first Hall of Famer.

Member #27: RB Alexei Volkov - New York City, NY - 3rd Ballot - Creator: Darknes
In the NAAF’s first draft, Alexei Volkov was caught up in the first trade of the draft. The Royals had traded QB Duane Logan to the Tigers in order to move up to pick #2 and select Volkov. They made a great pick with Volkov becoming a vital part of a dynamic Royals attack. With Jean Matieau, the Royals were always a pass-first team, but teams had to respect Volkov out of the backfield, as his speed could cause a lot of damage. Volkov was a perfect fit in the organization as well, with a very quiet and focused personality he was as dedicated as anyone to winning above all else. Volkov would be a part of all 7 McCallister Cup appearances the Royals made during the 2nd half of the 1950s, winning 4 titles. Despite his skill and ability, Volkov was often behind the top RBs in the league, having never been selected to an All-Star team. Often, Volkov was the 3rd or 4th best RB in the league which is just off from being in the top 2 in order to get an All-Star nod. Despite not having the personal achievements, it is clear that his skill and impact have been noticed by the Hall, and after finishing just outside the selected group in back-to-back ballots, he is finally being inducted.  

Volkov was always a cool player. I liked him a lot while he played, but I always wasn’t sure about putting him in the hall since he never really stood out/had those personal achievements, but it seems the community made the decision for me and here he is. Welcome to the Hall Volkov!

Member #28: RB Marcus Devonshire - Boston, MA - 2nd Ballot - Creator: ZO82
Devonshire’s career began in 1953 when he was selected 10th overall by the Worcester Athletics. Devonshire’s first few seasons would be nothing special, only putting up 9 TDs in his first 3 years. He would break out as a stellar back in 1956, putting up 15 touchdowns in helping the Athletics to a McCallister Cup appearance. He would take home Breakout Player of the Year and be named to his first All-Star team. He continued at that pace over the next several seasons, being the premier back for the Athletics. He would be named an alternate captain in 1958 and serve until the end of the 1959 season. Devonshire would change teams for 1960, signing with the Providence Gold Stars. In his second season with the team, Devonshire would put up 16 touchdowns in what was his second All-Star season. Devonshire would play the remainder of his career with the Gold Stars. In his final season, he would help the Gold Stars reach the McCallister Cup, marking his second trip to the big game, but once again he came up short. Like Volkov, Devonshire was never a top-level RB, but he had some great seasons during his career. 

I always forget about Devonshire, maybe it was because he played for both Worcester and Providence? Either way, he was still a very good player throughout his career and the community has spoken and given him the honour. Also congrats to ZO82 on your first Hall of Famer.

Member #29: OL Eugésippe Chalifoux - Montreal, QC - 3rd Ballot
Chalifoux joined the NAAF in 1950 when he signed with the Rouge out of college. Chalifoux developed into a sturdy starter for the Rouge during the early 1950s where he had 2 All-Star seasons in 1953 and 1954. During those early years, Chalifoux would be a part of the 2 championship seasons the Rouge had in 1951 and 1953. After the 1955 season, with Montreal going into a full rebuild, the Rouge would trade Chalifoux to the Providence Gold Stars. Chalifoux was solid for the Gold Stars in 1956, but he was never a fan of being in Providence due to not being very fluent in English. So in the offseason, Chalifoux would sign right back with the Rouge. He returned to being a top O-lineman, having his 3rd All-Star season in 1957. While he didn’t love being in Providence, it did allow him to improve his communication skills which turned into being named alternate captain upon his return to Montreal. Eventually, Chalifoux would be named captain in 1959 and served until the end of his career in 1962. Chalifoux was a very closed-off player up until his move to Providence, but the move changed him and made him a stellar leader for the Rouge and ultimately helped him become a Hall of Famer. 

What a name and this one wasn’t even sent in by anyone. I always remembered Chalifoux for the aggressively french name, and I loved him for it. Even if he wasn’t like a superstar O-lineman, he made his mark on the Rouge and is headed for the Hall.

Member #30: DL Jonathan Brown - Buffalo, NY - 3rd Ballot - Commissioner’s Choice
When Buffalo entered the NAAF in 1949, Jonathan Brown was their star D-lineman. Brown was a feisty leader on the defence and was the first in a line of some of the best D-lineman in the NAAF’s history to play for Buffalo, later being followed up by DL Sean Bowen, DL Lonnie Vincent and DL William Sanderson. Brown only played 8 years in the NAAF, but he was a force during each one of them. He would be an All-Star in 6 of those 8 seasons. He also helped Buffalo capture its first championship in 1952, being a key piece in the victory. Brown was a leader and one of the first stars of the league. He would retire in 1956, tragically 1 season before Buffalo captured its second title. 

For the first couple of years I had used my choice of player to break ties (yes both years I think I picked another player who was tied with Volkov, I am sorry Dark, but it is what it is). This is the first time I have used it to get a player into the Hall that I think deserves it despite not getting the votes. Brown’s 6 All-Star seasons in 8 years just speak Hall of Famer to me, and I have always figured one year I will get him in. Here we are.

Last edited by Wallflower (4/02/2023 5:00 pm)

4/02/2023 5:23 pm  #2367

Not surprised at all to see Matieau get in unanimously. When someone is that good you have to give them their respect even if they aren’t your favorite player.

4/02/2023 5:38 pm  #2368

osctheg wrote:

Not surprised at all to see Matieau get in unanimously. When someone is that good you have to give them their respect even if they aren’t your favorite player.

He actually wasn't unanimously voted. 2 voters did not vote for Matieau, which I was surprised about, but yes I do agree. 

4/02/2023 8:47 pm  #2369

Well Done, Marcus

4/06/2023 6:25 pm  #2370

1970 Schedule

Schedule Formula for 1970 season
Total 12 games: 6 home, 6 away
8 Divisional Games:
   2x against denoted rival: 2 Games
   2x against 2 other divisional opponents: 4 Games
   1x against the remaining 2 divisional opponents: 2 Games
4 Non-Divisional Games:
   1x against 2 opponents from each division: 4 Games

Rivals for 1970
WEST
EDM-CGY
REG-WPG
VAN-MIN
CENTRAL
BUF-LDN
TOR-PIT
LOU-IND
EAST
MTL-OTT
BOS-PRO
HFX-LI

The season will open on June 18th with a matchup featuring the defending champion Buffalo Blue Wings against the Pittsburgh Blacksmiths. Then, on Friday, a double-header to signify the new agreement between the NAAF and the WFU with Ottawa hosting Winnipeg and then Boston heading to Vancouver. Canada Day will be a game between Ottawa and Halifax, while the 4th of July will have a pair of games with Boston hosting Pittsburgh and Louisville hosting Providence. Week 6 remains rivalry week, which is then followed up with the bye weeks. This season, each division will rotate who is on a bye between week 7 and week 9. Labour Day will feature its usual battle between Indiana and Louisville, accompanied by Toronto and London earlier in the day. 

Finally, week 13 will feature all games happening simultaneously except for 1 game which is the season finale. As of now Ottawa and Boston will be playing in the late game, but the game may get flexed depending on the playoff situations and if there is a more interesting game to be played at that time.

Other notes: There are still 4 Thursday Night games during the season (not including the opener), as well as 4 total Friday night doubleheaders which feature an east coast match and a later west coast game.

Board footera