Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2020 4:20 pm  #141

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

OFFSEASON NEWS RELEASE

Retirements

Most Notable:
WR Dewey Doyle - Boston Independents (1949*) - Toronto Tigers (1950) - Worcester Athletics (1951)
Doyle had a long career, playing his early years with the original Athletics before the WW2 stoppage, after the return of the NEFC he had joined the Independents and was a part of their long run of championships including the 1949 NAAF championship. Following his time in Boston, he joined the Tigers still desiring to play but figured it would be his final season. He got to be one of the top guys in Toronto which, in Boston, he never got the chance. Doyle thought the 1950 season would be his final but he wanted to finish off playing for Worcester who had joined the league in 1951. He got to be a part of the Athletics first season, scoring the team’s first touchdown and the game-winning touchdown in the Athletics first win. Doyle was a very kind-hearted player that spread good-spirits to players around him. 
WR Wilbert Benjamin (TOR) talked about learning from the veteran during the 1950 season: “Doyle is no Atkins or Rivera, but he has all the intelligence in the world. I learned so much from him and he will always be a mentor and a friend.” 

RB Ray Middleton - Ottawa Royals (1949-1951)
Middleton spent his entire career as a member of the Royals and had been their starting running back in all three NAAF seasons. Middleton didn’t always get a lot of touches especially because of the Royals' passing attack, but he was a solid running back that helped Ottawa in their offensive success. It was becoming obvious over the 1951 season that Middleton was quickly slowing down, he felt it was time to hang them up.QB Duane Logan (OTT): “Middleton was a fairly quiet guy but had a competitive side. He loved running the ball and would try to get the play changed sometimes from a pass to a run.” 

LB Bradley Booker - Montreal Rouge (1949-1950) - Toronto Tigers (1951)
The mentor to the superstar LB Quinton Brewer, Bradley Booker retired as a member of the Tigers unfortunately leaving the Rouge just before his championship run. Booker and Brewer were an unstoppable force in their time together in Montreal, but the Rouge wanted to go younger on the backline and let Booker walk to Toronto. His final season was all about mentoring the youth in Toronto and giving it one last go. Booker might be in talks to rejoin the Rouge coaching staff in the near future. LB Quinton Brewer MTL: “No better mentor and teammate, Brad is down to earth but also a harsh competitor. I already missed having him on the field this year, but it will be different without him out there. I hope to see him involved soon.” 

Other Notable Retirements:
DL Edgar Gordon - Providence Gold Stars (1949-1951)
WR Jean-Yves Vallotton - Montreal Rouge (1949-1950) - Worcester Athletics (1951) - Providence Gold Stars (1951)
WR Kenneth Mullen - Ottawa Royals (1949) - Buffalo Blue Wings (1950) - Montreal Rouge (1951*)
WR Stephan Kovach - Hartford Hawks (1949-1951)
OL Landon Ashley - Buffalo Blue Wings (1949-1951) 

Owner Changes
Providence Gold Stars
Sad news comes from the Providence Gold Stars as the team's long-time owner, Larry Maxwell, has passed away. Larry had owned the team ever since it’s birth in 1914 and has watched over the team through three NEFC championships. His son, Daniel was expected to be handed control of the team but it was his son David that was destined for the role. He was a much bigger fan and businessman. David Maxwell takes over as the new owner following his Grandfather’s passing, he is ambitious but will be taking a different approach to ownership. Larry was very passionate yet closed-minded. His first actions were always putting his team first but also didn’t like working closely with other teams. While he eased off in his later years he still had issues. David, on the other hand, is very much more open to building better relationships with the other teams, but also still has the fire and desire to bring championships back to Providence. David Maxwell: “I have been a lifelong fan of both the Gold Stars and admirer of my grandfather. I shared the passion he had for this team and this city and I want people to know I maintain that passion. However, this will be a new era for the Gold Stars, one that will one day bring some trophies back to the city of Providence.” 

Ottawa Royals

The Ottawa Royals also transferred ownership. The good news is Rudolph Wilson the sole owner from 1908-1951 has not passed away but has decided to step away from the position and enjoy watching for the last few years of his life. Wilson was a major player in the creation of the NAAF being one of the first owners on board with the new league and sport. The new owner is Wilson’s daughter, Laura McNeil and her husband, U of Ottawa Professor, Greg McNeil. Wilson wanted to keep the team in the family, so he went to his daughter Laura, the youngest of Rudolph’s kids, to ask if she wanted to take control, Laura grew up closest to the Royals of all three kids and had been the biggest football fan. She was all for taking ownership. She got her husband on board too since he knew the business side of things and would be a great leader in that. The couple is excited by the new opportunityLaura McNeil: “I remember growing up and going to games at Lansdowne. The Royals playing in the OFU and now the NAAF. The memories of the games and the excitement. That same excitement fills me now and I am ready to keep the traditions of the Royal Football Club going and make this city proud!” 

4/14/2020 4:50 pm  #142

League Meetings 

The annual meetings followed the announcements of the new ownership in Ottawa and Providence. During the 2 week set of meetings, the owners go over and finalize changes that have been discussed over the season. 

Toronto Tigers
The first topic was on the future of the Tigers. Garry Duran, the owner, had not been able to come to terms for a new building in Toronto. There was even a small talk with the Toronto Lakers to move to their downtown stadium didn’t go anywhere. After all that, Duran has decided based on the previous relationship with Toronto Municipal Stadium that he will find a new place to play following the 1952 season. The owners discussed the options and as of now, Duran will be both seeking out options for a new building in a different part of the Greater Toronto Area and the possible move to Kitchener-Waterloo. The Stadium there is newer and about 6,000 seats bigger than the Tigers normal home. Even the game against the Gold Stars sold more tickets than any other Tigers home game ever.

Stadium Developments
Worcester Athletics
Worcester Stadium is still finishing up construction and will be complete during the 1952 season and will open for the 1953 season. The stadium is right in downtown Worcester and will hold 38,600 seats. 

Hartford Hawks
The Hawks Arnold H. Benson Park is the second oldest and after this season will be the oldest. The team still has a three-year agreement to play there. The team’s owner Jonathan Sampson is looking to get a new stadium in the city but is a long way from any deals being put into place. 

Ottawa Royals
The Royals are negotiating with the city about the possible new stadium or if they will simply renovate and expand the current Lansdowne Park. The city is certainly wanting to keep the Royals around and they are going over what the most logical plan would be for the future of the club.  

Rule Changes:
The league is fully implementing reserve rosters for teams:
They will be able to hold 12 players - 25 and under to maintain talent
24 and under can be moved on and off during the season
25 can be moved off but cannot return to the reserve after that
(
I am not really sure how interesting this stuff is to you guys so I made it short, but let me know if you want more depth) 

McCallister Cup:
Following the first 3 years of playoff games being in only two different cities (Boston and Montreal), Ryan Jameson is proposing neutral site games for the championship in order to spread the playoffs around. The owners liked the idea and 3 teams/cities presented their case for the title game in 1952. 

New Providence Stadium - Providence, RI - 65,450 - 1946
The newest stadium in the league is also the biggest by about 20,000 seats. The Gold Stars have a long history and would love to see the McCallister Cup game return to Providence for the first time since 1941. This would probably be the best venue to host the championship because of the size. Providence would also be a good centre for a lot of fans. 

Lansdowne Park - Ottawa, ON - 38,500 - 1908
The third oldest stadium behind Toronto Municipal Stadium and Arnold H. Benson Park in Hartford, Lansdowne Park is still a good-sized building. The stadium is running on its last legs and either a new stadium or a renovation could be in the works, over the next couple of years. However, this is part of the pitch for the Royals’ park as they want to have a game at the old historic field before they have to change locations or renovate. The stadium has hosted a couple of OFU championships as well as many Ottawa sporting events and to add a bigger championship to the history of the stadium would be fantastic.

Buffalo Civic Stadium - Buffalo, NY - 38,530 - 1919
The City of Buffalo is pitching with its fans. They want to see the game in one of the most passionate football cities in the league. The stadium is sold out every week no matter how well the team is doing. Like Ottawa, the stadium doesn’t compare to that of Providence, but they believe the energy and buzz the game will have in Buffalo would be spectacular. Buffalo also wants the chance to prove that they can be a huge football city after being mistreated by the NYFL back in the day.  

Vote For the Host Location

Last edited by Wallflower (4/14/2020 5:01 pm)

4/14/2020 8:08 pm  #143

I built the draft class today and 9 of the 13 entries are going to be entered into the draft this year. The rest will be saved for next year alongside hopefully some more entries come next offseason. I got at least one player from everyone that entered players. In no particular order of how good

QB Riley Kiernan
QB Christian Stewart
RB Alexei Volkov
TE Johnny Mantle IV
TE Richard Stewart
LB Aengus Lynch
LB Scotty Williams
DB Slay Mitchell
S Frazier Brooks 

Thanks for all the entries it makes the story that much more interesting!

Last edited by Wallflower (4/14/2020 8:10 pm)

4/14/2020 8:46 pm  #144

Hey! A few of mine made it.

4/14/2020 9:25 pm  #145

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Gold Stars win the chip this year at home! Also glad to see a few of my man Johnny Singleton’s prospects have entered the draft this year.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

4/14/2020 9:32 pm  #146

Johnny Singleton and Lawrence Gainsborough will be making their appearances to give their analysis on some of the top prospects in the draft this year.

Also, you would be surprised how close the host race is right now, I will close voting on that tomorrow and announce the host. 

4/15/2020 5:41 pm  #147

1952 McCallister Cup Host Announcement

Heading to the Great Lakes! Winning the Vote with 5 of 12 votes the city of Buffalo will host the 34th McCallister Cup Championship. Providence and Ottawa were not far behind finishing with 4 and 3 votes respectively. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great turnout this time around, the voting seems to be catching on and that is fantastic! I have simulated the draft and done the write up so I will likely release that tomorrow or Friday (I just have an exam to deal with tomorrow). I have done a more in-depth analysis of the first round, but then some notes about the other 3 rounds, I will post them separately but possibly still at the same time haven't decided yet. 

4/17/2020 6:52 pm  #148

1952 NAAF Draft

The draft took place between all the team’s management at a hotel in Ottawa. Many of the players who were expected to go early on were at the ceremony. After opening remarks by commissioner Ryan Jameson, they allowed teams an hour before the clock started to prepare and possibly talk with other teams about moves. After the hour was up the Worcester Athletics had the first pick of the draft. 

1ST ROUND

1 - Worcester Athletics - LB Scotty Williams - Erie, PA
Scotty Williams was looked at as the best player in the draft and would go within the first couple picks whether to Worcester or Toronto. While the top QB Riley Keirnan was also rumoured to go to the Athletics first, they decided they couldn’t pass up on the top tier player. 

Johnny Singleton Scouting Report:
One of the hardest workers you’ll find. He has put his hours into practice and workouts and it’s paying off. Despite being a top prospect he doesn’t let the stardom blind him and continues his grueling work ethic.Due to his intense work ethic he is one of the strongest players in collegiate football. His strength allows him to be a fantastic tackler and hard hitter. His biggest weakness is his coverage skills as he is pretty poor in that area but he makes up for it with it for his outstanding tackling ability.  

TRADE ALERT!
Just moments after the Athletics selection was made a trade was announced between the Toronto Tigers who held the 2nd overall pick and the Ottawa Royals. The Tigers and Royals had been in talks all season about the possibility of either QB Jean Matieau or QB Duane Logan would be available. Toronto was by far the front runner for either quarterback all season as they had the assets to trade for them. As the draft approached Ottawa was starting to set their eyes on a player to draft and had decided they wanted to go with Jean Matieau moving forward. Because, Matieau’s contract was up and they didn’t want him walking they need to move Logan as soon as they could. 

Toronto Tigers get:
QB Duane Logan
OTT 1952 1st Round Pick (4th) 

Ottawa Royals get:
TOR 1952 1st Round Pick (2nd)
DL Edgar Olsen
OL Jumonville Isabelle
TOR 1953 3rd Round Pick 

Toronto gets their new QB and only moves down two spots while giving away some depth and prospects, while Ottawa gains the 2nd pick and some depth and they can focus on Matieau moving forward. 

2 - Ottawa Royals (via Toronto) - RB Alexei Volkov - New York City, NY
The Royals were in desperate need for a RB after Ray Middleton retired, guessing Hartford (picking 3rd) was also targeting the back, they made the push to move up and grab him at 2.Volkov should add lots of speed to an already powerful offense. 

Lawrence Gainsborough Scouting Report:
Volkov is a speedy running back, quick on his feet and if he finds an open field he is gone. He will draw many comparisons to Marchal in Montreal with his speed. He lacks a bit in size compared to RBs like Joel Bonner and Laurent Brazeau but he makes up for it in speed.Volkov is also a quiet player as well, doesn't talk too much, lets the game show his emotions.  

3 - Hartford Hawks - DB Slay Mitchell - Providence, RI
The Hawks were looking out for Volkov initially but with the surprise move they are left with their second option. The aging secondary in Hartford needed an injection of youth and they grabbed it here at 3. The Hawks will hope the corner becomes the leader in the secondary as their rebuild continues. 

A big time DB that likes to talk to his opponent during the game. A big personality guy that likes to be a menace to whoever he is defending. A very tight coverage DB. Likes to get in the face of the WR and very physical. He does lack in speed but is able to make up for that with his big play ability and coverage skills. 

4 - Toronto Tigers (via Ottawa) - LB Aengus Lynch - Charlestown, MA
Lynch was the next best LB behind Scotty Williams and some would say the next best player. The Tigers made a smart move trading down as they still would have gotten the same player at 2. Lynch adds a huge defensive anchor in the middle of the defense for the Tigers as they look to become a competitive force in the North Division. 

Lynch is like a military leader on the field, keeps people in line. He is focused and competitive bringing a great leadership energy. He also can see the game well at times seems to know what’s coming. He also plays heavy and physical. Hitting guys left and right and getting right into the thick of the action. Lynch draws many comparisons to LB Quinton Brewer of Montreal. 

TRADE ALERT!
The Gold Stars who were not needing anything high in the draft decided to move back and traded the 5th pick to Worcester. They drop down to 9th and pick up a possible DL in Harvey Franklin. Worcester also gets to move up and grab another player they were targeting. 

Providence Gold Stars gets:
WOR 1952 2nd Round Draft Pick (9th)
DL Harvey Franklin 

Worcester Athletics get:
PRO 1952 1st Round Pick (5th) 

5 - Worcester Athletics (via Providence) - QB Riley Kiernan - Annapolis, MD
The Athletics get their QB at 5. If they had not taken Williams first many were expecting them to take the gunslinger. Worcester was looking at moving up as well with the possibility a team like Boston with an aging QB would take Kiernan at 7. Kiernan is expected to be the starter going into the next season over Adrian Little. 

Kiernan draws comparisons to Angelo Medina, but with a stronger arm. He can get the ball deep and he has the mobility in the pocket, willing to take off if he needs to. Kiernan has the potential to become a superstar in this league and he fully expects to get there. He has a bit of a flashy personality, loves to showboat. He also loves being at the party and having fun so there may be some character issues with the QB but you can’t pass up on the talent. 

6 - Buffalo Blue Wings - S Fraizer Brooks - Bristol, CT
The Blue Wings snag the top Safety at the 6th pick. While the team had traded a safety last offseason and going all in on S Marvin Tillman, it appears that they may be going in a different direction already. Brooks is still a no miss safety that the Blue Wings couldn’t pass up especially in a position that has been inconsistent at times. 

Intelligent and consistent safety and a great leader. All of his coaches say that he’ll make a fantastic coach when he retires from the game.An intelligent safety that is great at play recognition. He also is known to extensively study his opponents QBs and their tendencies and what not and knows exactly where they’ll throw. He is also a great open field tackler. No one in the league compares to the playing style that Brooks employs, he is a top tier talent. 

7 - Boston Independents - TE Richard Stewart - Ashfield, MA
The Independents most direly needed a TE as it is their weakest position. Richard Stewart and Johnny Mantle IV were both available at 6 but they went with the local kid which they had scouted in greater detail. With the addition Boston gets a stronger front line and make their team, once again, a threat to make it back to the McCallister Cup 

William Moen Scouting Report:
While he can get hot-headed on the field, he is normally a cool, collected person off the field.While he may not be the fastest Tight End out there, he makes up for it in power. When he's not the target of a pass, he acts almost like a 6th Offensive Lineman. 

8 - Hartford Hawks (via Montreal) - TE Johnny Mantle IV - Niagara Falls, ON
The Hawks took the other top TE with the final pick of the first round. There was not much information on Mantle but they expect him to be a decent passing threat as well as a solid blocking TE for the Hawks rebuild.  

4/17/2020 7:15 pm  #149

I am not looking forward to Scotty Williams terrorizing my Gold Stars for the next ten years

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

4/17/2020 7:24 pm  #150

1952 NAAF Draft Rounds 2-4

2ND ROUND

9 - PRO (via WOR) - OL Chad Austin - London, ON
10 - TOR - QB Christian Stewart - Kitchener, ON
11 - HAR - DB Will Atkinson - New York City, NY
12 - OTT - TE Jervonte Howell - Philadelphia, PA
13 - PRO - OL Wilfred Gibson - Peterborough, ON
14 - HAR (via BUF) - RB Johnie Stafford - Geneseo, NY
15 - BOS - K Johnnie Berg - Lancaster, PA
16 - MTL - DL Sam Laframboise - Montreal, QB 

The second round started with Providence grabbing an OL with their first pick and would take another at 13. Toronto took a local quarterback in Christian Stewart at 10 even after trading for Duane Logan earlier. 

Scouting Report on Christian Stewart:
Quiet leader off the field, a fierce competitor on the field. Game manager and smart decision-maker, but lacks the explosive arm strength that Kiernan has.  Buffalo and Hartford also made a trade for the Blue Wings to move down and acquire a young linebacker. The Hawks pick up a couple of picks. 

Buffalo Blue Wings get: 
LB Ben McCray
HAR 1952 3rd Round Pick (19th) 

Hartford Hawks get:
BUF 1952 2nd Round Pick (14th)
BUF 1952 4th Round Pick (30th)
DB Neil Reid 

The Hawks would take a DB at the 11th spot and then finally grab their RB at 14 with Johnie Stafford.Finally, Montreal decides to go with local talent with their first pick, taking Sam Laframboise. 

3RD ROUND
17 - WOR - S Shawn Jensen - Toledo, OH
18 - TOR - OL Shawn Lawrence - Hamilton, ON
19 - BUF (via HAR) - LB Lloyd Mathis - Hamilton, ON
20 - OTT - S Neari Charles - Saratoga Springs, NY
21 - WOR (via PRO) - WR Christian Venegas - New York City, NY
22 - BUF - RB Lawrence Sharp - Toronto, ON
23 - WOR (via BOS) - DL Erik Cohen - Manchester, CT
24 - MTL - DB Jontray Cox - Baltimore, MD 

The most notable pick was Shawn Jensen at 17, as the safety was expected to go at around 8th overall, but after Brooks was taken there wasn’t a team in need of a safety until Worcester was back on the board in the 3rd round. So they have the early steal in the draft. The other note would be Buffalo’s trade down may have backfired as the Tigers snagged OL Shawn Lawrence just before them. 

4TH ROUND
25 - WOR - TE Duane Halloway - Huntington, WV
26 - TOR - S Jumon Cobb - Toronto, ON
27 - HAR - WR Nathan Green - Richmond, VA
28 - OTT - OL Bravon Covington - Montreal , QB
29 - PRO - LB Daevion Shelton - Norfolk, VA
30 - HAR (via BUF) - LB Jim Daniels - Pittsburgh, PA
31 - BOS - QB Alex Agramonte - Charlotte, NC
32 - HAR (via MTL) - RB Maurice Ferguson - Richmond, VA 

The only note in the fourth round is Boston taking a quarterback in Agramonte, not expected to be a superstar by any means, but maybe a solid back up.  

Last edited by Wallflower (4/17/2020 7:25 pm)

Board footera