Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2021 7:40 pm  #1231

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

QCS wrote:

That NYC guy seems like a real piece of work. Hoping it all works out in Worcester (if only so I can keep saying it) but if not hopefully they end up somewhere nice (Springfield?).

I could not have said it any better. Maybe even Hartford or something like that?

2/17/2021 9:19 pm  #1232

maybe an owner in NJ or PA could come in

Last edited by ZO82 (2/17/2021 9:21 pm)

2/18/2021 9:48 am  #1233

I certainly hope that an owner can come in that will turn around the Athletics in the city of Worcester. Someone who will not only be a good owner, but also be a Hybrid Rules Football enthusiast to be an ambassador of the style of football for the league, perhaps leading to more expansion.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

2/18/2021 11:46 am  #1234

It will be weird not being a LI fan anymore. Here’s to hoping McVee and Clyde S Dale joins Heights to make a powerful defense out in LDN.

2/18/2021 5:22 pm  #1235

1961 Free Agency Part 1 

Bishop to Mount Royal, Rogers and Ovechkin head West
The big talk of the offseason would be at the QB position for several teams. Montreal, Worcester, Indiana, and Buffalo all had questions about who would be the QB heading into the season. Montreal would be the first to address their issue by signing the big fish in QB Gene Bishop. Bishop would be locked in for 6 years starting at $31,500 and will get to $34,000 by the end. Bishop said his decision was pretty clear after just one conversation with Virgil Gross who was very willing to pay Bishop what he thought he was worth. As for the other two big names, they would find themselves moving on to West Division clubs. QB Stanislav Ovechkin would land in Buffalo on a 2-year contract at $23,000 a season. While the team is hoping QB Charles Lemieux develops, Ovechkin will be good for some stability and veteran presence. QB Lee Rogers would then end up signing with the Indiana Victors, a team that was looking to land him last season. He would sign for 2-years at $17,500 a season. While QB Stanley Troyer just signed a 2-year, $24,000 contract, Rogers will certainly have a shot at potentially being a starter for the team. Worcester ended up empty on the high-end QB sweepstakes leaving QB Terry Bourbon as the likely starter going into the season at this point.  

Providence Makes Major Moves Towards Quick Defensive Turnaround
A lot were not sure what the Gold Stars might do after a rough 1-11 season. In the end, GM Allen Hutchinson was looking to build the team quickly especially with QB Connor O’Rourke still in his prime. The first piece would end up being LB Rusty McVee. The former rookie of the year and 2-time champion wants to still compete and between the Gold Stars and the Thunder he felt that he had more confidence in O’Rourke and the Gold Stars getting back into contention. McVee would lock in for 2-years at $26,000. Hutchinson was not finished on his quest and would bring in S Shawn Jensen and DB Jared Francis to fix up the secondary. Each should make an immediate impact on the back end to get the defence rolling. On top of those moves, the Gold Stars are likely to take a DB or LB with the top pick in the draft which will only add to the team moving forward.  

Indiana’s New Backfield
With the departure of RB Rodney Clark, Indiana needed a fresh start in the backfield. New GM Everett Henderson, would be very aggressive when it came to finding a fit. In the end, he would land two RBs to lead the team into the future. Last season’s Offensive Player of the Year, RB Johnnie Stafford, would end up signing with the team for 1-year at $15,000. It isn’t a long-term solution, but they also landed 27-year-old RB Don Gregson for 3 years to potentially fill that role for the future with a salary of $17,000. Indy’s backfield is certainly looking stronger with both backs being able to make an impact next season.

(This only takes into account the moves that have occurred before the NAAF draft)
Top 25 Free Agents
1 - QB Gene Bishop WOR -> MTL 6Y, $31,500-$34,000
2 - LB Rusty McVee LI -> PRO 2Y, $26,000
3 - S Shawn Jensen WOR -> PRO 2Y, $22,000 
4 - RB Rodney Clark IND
5 - QB Stanislav Ovechkin MTL -> BUF 2Y, $23,000
6 - QB Lee Rogers MTL -> IND 2Y, $17,500
7 - RB Johnnie Stafford LI -> IND 1Y, $15,000
8 - DB Jared Francis BUF -> PRO 2Y, $12,000
9 - RB Don Gregson LDN -> IND 3Y, $17,000
10 - OL Stanley Witt LDN -> BUF 4Y, $14,000
11 - WR Robert Lang LI
12 - DB Petr Westerburg OTT -> BOS 2Y, $12,000
13 - LB Benjamin Pittman LDN -> LOU 1Y, $13,000
14 - TE Tanner Tint LDN
15 - QB Caldwell Higgins III IND
16 - RB Tobias Graves MTL
17 - DL Clyde Dale BOS -> LOU 2Y, $11,000
18 - QB Andrew Sexton IND
19 - TE Duane Halloway WOR
20 - WR Truman Harry OTT
21 - WR Fredrick St. Pierre MTL
22 - DB Victor Bean LI
23 - DL Remington Hart MTL -> IND 4Y, $9,000
24 - LB Charlie Finster LOU
25 - QB Randy Sellers BUF  

2/18/2021 5:31 pm  #1236

It looks like both the Gold Stars and Victors made good moves in the offseason, looking forward to the draft!

2/19/2021 2:15 am  #1237

I really like the defensive moves we made here for my gold stars. McVee and Jenson are both proven players with experience on a league leading defense which is exactly the type of guys we need. Also I’m a huge fan of Bishop moving to Montreal where I think he has a chance to become a top tier QB.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

2/19/2021 6:05 pm  #1238

The Gains Report - 1961 NAAF Top 25 Prospects
1 - DB Neville Falkner - Brad Cumberland - DireBear
2 - DB Dean Hawkins - Johnny Singleton - Captain Mort 3D 
3 - OL Taylor Forbes - Johnny Singleton - Captain Mort 3D
4 - LB Terrence Patton - Lawrence Gainsborough - Darknes
5 - DB Lawrence Ralph - Roger Roy - thehealthiestscratch 
6 - DL Bjorn Sigmarsson - George Stefanakis - Dan O’Mac
7 - WR Taylor Karis - Cameron Gordon - QCS
8 - OL Peter Kingsley - Allen Cohn - TigerFan93
9 - OL Flint Boyer - Cameron Gordon - QCS
10 - LB Red Clarkson - Lawrence Gainsborough - Darknes
11 - DL Fred Webster - Johnny Singleton - Captain Mort 3D
12 - S Eric Willis - Johnny Singleton - Captain Mort 3D
13 - RB Rashad Smith - Wally Flowers - Wallflower
14 - DB Rutherford Winters - Johnny Armando - Stickman
15 - OL Elmer Tanev - James Herr-O’Nark - JamHeronArk
16 - RB Ronald Kociba - Allen Cohn - TigerFan93
17 - OL Herman Mecklenburg - James Herr-O’Nark - JamHeronArk
18 - WR Otto Washington - Vincent Desjardins - Kingsfan11
19 - RB Lukas Ivarsson - Lawrence Gainsborough - Darknes
20 - DL Lucas Kipling - Brad Cumberland - DireBear
21 - DB Wesley Nires - Perry Matthews - Sevsdast
22 - DL Pionk Bjorkkstrand - Cameron Gordon - QCS
23 - WR Johnny Starwood - Dewey Thomas - Rugrat
24 - S Ronnie Kirkpatrick - Buster Quimby - NeoPrankster
25 - LB Pepper Burress - George Stafanakis - Dan O’Mac 

Defence continues to reign supreme at the top of the draft order with 3 DBs, an LB, and a DL taking up 5 of the top 6. Neville Falkner is looking like a generational talent at the DB position, a lot of people will compare him to Alexander Bradley and his time entering the NAAF. Right behind him is Dean Hawkins who is just as solid. There is even Lawrence Ralph sliding in just a couple of spots back. LB Terrence Patton is the top LB and will certainly be a target for several teams, he has shown great leadership on the field and looks to be falling into a similar category as LB Scotty Williams and LB Aengus Lynch. 

As for offence, you are looking at a lot of offensive line talent. Taylor Forbes, Peter Kingsley, and Flint Boyer all look to be great building pieces for anyone to add to the line, though Forbes stands out as a potential elite lineman. WR Taylor Karis comes out as the top skill player, with elite route running abilities with improvisation capabilities. RB Rashad Smith is the next skill option, though he has a little more muscle and power than speed and finesse. The rest of the skill spots fall back quite a bit which may lead to several teams looking to trade back to grab some players later.  

Draft Picks and Needs
1 - Providence Gold Stars - DB, LB, RB, OL, S
Picks: 1, 11, 21, 31
2 - Indiana Victors - OL, DL, LB, RB
Picks: 2, 12, 22, 32
3 - Buffalo Blue Wings - DB, WR, OL, LB
Picks: 3, 13, 23, 28, 33
4 - Louisville Thunder - DL, LB, RB, WR, OL
Picks: 4, 14, 24, 34
5 - Worcester Athletics - DL, LB, WB, RB, OL
Picks: 5, 15, 25, 35
6 - Montreal Rouge - DB, WR, OL, DL
Picks: 6, 16, 26
7 - Boston Independents - DB, DL, WR
Picks: 7, 17, 27, 37
8 - Long Island Raiders - DL, WR, DB, QB, OL
Picks: 8, 18, 38
9 - Ottawa Royals - OL, RB, WR, DL, QB
Picks: 9, 19, 29, 39 
10 - London Tigers - DL, LB, QB
Picks: 10, 20, 30, 36, 40 

Who's going where? I always love to see some Mock Drafts!

Last edited by Wallflower (2/20/2021 12:56 am)

2/19/2021 7:03 pm  #1239

I think Providence is for sure taking Falkner at number one. Generational defensive talent at a position of need? Easiest choice of their life. I'm more interested in where Karis falls, he's ranked at #7 but it's possible Louisville or Worcester reaches to grab him. And then of course Pionk, who could be the greatest pick of the draft.

2/20/2021 5:44 pm  #1240

I know Falkner is a generational talent but I could see my Gold Stars trading down a couple spots and grabbing Hawkins or Ralph while also getting another mid round pick in the deal to use on a guy perhaps for defensive depth or OL depth.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

Board footera