Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2020 9:19 pm  #1

Ball Hockey International

I've been following the MAHL and the Torland leagues from the start and have always wanted to have my own league. I tried to start one last year before life got in the way and I totally lost interest in the concept. I finally got inspired by this concept and have been working on it for a few months and I feel it is finally ready to drop so with that said...

Ball Hockey International

In 1988, NHL owners met and discussed potential ways to grow the game and interest in the league. When the idea of ball hockey was brought up, they all seemed genuinely interested in taking a serious look at the game and how they could develop it further. The idea eventually lead to the formation of a league that would be funded by the owner. They decided the best idea was to place some teams in traditional hockey hot beds while also placing others in non-traditional hockey markets. The hope was that the stronger markets could carry the weaker markets early with the eventual hope being that all the teams could thrive and grow the game of hockey. A traditional hockey schedule wouldn’t be possible of course. The owners knew they couldn’t afford the travel or arena rentals with the anticipated low attendance to start so they discussed other options. They finally agreed on a 36 game season where each team will play 2 home and 2 away games against everybody else.

- A win will be worth 3 points, and overtime wins worth 2 points. The league decided to try something radical and eliminate ties, instead moving to a shootout. The winner of the shootout would get 2 points. - Teams that lose in overtime or a shootout will receive 1 point. A regulation loss will result in no points. - The top 2 teams would receive a first round bye in the playoffs. The next 4 teams would meet in the quarter final round. All rounds would be a single elimination, which would make every playoff game an elimination game. - Teams will play with a traditional line up of 5 runners and 1 goalie. With the foundation of the league set, the owners announced that Ball Hockey International, or BHI, would launch the third weekend in June of 1990. The 17 week season would wrap up right at the start of the NHL Season, with the hope being to carry NHL fans over to ball hockey for the summer and vice versa with ball hockey fans into the winter. In order to find players, the league would be hosting a series of combines and scrimmages throughout the following year, all over the world, in hopes that they could attract some hidden gems and potentially some former junior hockey players who didn’t make the NHL but had a chance to develop a new career. There would be a draft during the 1990 NHL All Star Weekend with the 10 teams developing their rosters and allowing them ample time to form chemistry and practice before the start of the regular season. With the BHI officially a sublet of the NHL, the teams and jerseys were revealed during the 1989 NHL All Star Weekend.

(First 5 of 10 Teams)

----------

----------

----------

----------

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

2/15/2020 10:57 am  #2

Re: Ball Hockey International

The final 5 teams were revealed to be:

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

With the teams revealed, arenas ready and teams drafted it was time to launch the league with the 1990-91 season!

2/17/2020 2:29 pm  #3

Is that international orange on that SF team? It’s hard to tell on the phone. If it is I’ll go ahead and pick them as my team. I’d argue that the logo would be strong enough without the skyline in it. Feels like too much detail at the moment and having just the bridge would be enough to make the logo unique to the city. Maybe downsize “RUSH” as well it looks like it overlaps the bridge.

Also like what you did with Vancouver, Quebec, and Casper!

I see what you’re trying to do with Montreal but it feels a little forced. Maybe make the island side the same color as the flag so it’s more of a nod rather than forcing the audience to have two main focal points. Like their pants though

I like the mountain concept of SLC but I think it gets lost with the mirrored image. Perhaps make the shoulders a regular black straight line and the top of the pants a horizontal black line as well so it keeps its color balance. Then do a small mountain range at the bottom of the pants. Same with the away but with white.

Portland is awesome! I’m just not a chrome fan personally, but I can’t say it doesn’t work just because it isn’t my cup of tea.

I’d give Charlotte’s logo on the home a thick yellow outline so the plane can be seen.

Also, I find Blaze to be an interesting name for Buffalo is there a story behind it? The logo is a good start and I think with refinement over time it could be a classic.

Great start!

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (2/17/2020 2:32 pm)

2/17/2020 3:55 pm  #4

Appreciate the comments!

San Francisco is more red/gold than orange, but it may look orange on a phone.

Also, the Islanders is Toronto and not Montreal, but regardless I like the ideas you suggested for changing the logo. I'm sure all of these logos will adapt over time and I'll definitely be keeping all of the feedback in mind when changing.

Also, the Buffalo Blaze are named after the Battle Of Buffalo which happened in 1813 and destroyed the whole town after the British burned down the city.

And the Mountaineers are definitely out there in terms of concept, but I did that for 2 reasons. 1, it's ball hockey so taking chances on crazier uniforms seemed a given, and 2 it's the 90's and it was just an awful time for most fashion haha.

Appreciate the feedback, time for the inaugural season!

2/17/2020 4:44 pm  #5

1990 Season

Vancouver GM Curtis Nykoluk put together a hell of a team to start the league, as Vancouver ran away with the regular season, easily finishing 1st. Charlotte made a strong push to catch them, but ultimately were unable, despite being lead by points leader Alden Pinard and the best goalie duo in the league stats-wise in Damian Mertens and Jason Gilroy. Mertens lead the league in wins with 14, but it was Gilroy who got hot down the stretch, posting a .937 save percentage in his last 8 starts which really pushed Charlotte into the league race.
 18 year old Vernon Foyt of Quebec was an offensive machine and looks to be the breakout star of the league. While a solid junior player, he never put up these kind of offensive numbers so the transition to ball hockey has definitely helped him out. Despite having the top goal scorer in the league, Quebec finished near the bottom of the standings after some poor goaltending. 

Being the first season, there were of course benchmarks set for different records, here are some noteworthy ones that will definitely be broken over time, and some that may hold up for a while: 

Alden Pinard (Charlotte Aviators) - Single season points record with 51 points in 36 games. 

Vernon Foyt (Quebec Spirit) - Single season goals record with 22 goals in 36 games. 

Damien Mertens (Charlotte Aviators) - Single season wins record with 14 wins. 

Jason Gilroy (Charlotte Aviators) - Single season save percentage record with a .937 save percentage. 

Andy Lovely (Casper Ghosts) - Single season shutout record with 3. 

Will O’meara (Hamilton Lancasters) - Single game assists record with 5 in a game

James O’Rourke (Vancouver Orcas) - Single game penalty minutes record with 17 penalty minutes in a game

Filip Karlsson (Buffalo Blaze) - Worst goals against in a single game, giving up 8 in a contest

Andrew Johnston (Casper Ghosts) - Single game +/- record, finishing the game +6 on 

Travis Tassell (Vancouver Orcas) - Worst single game +/- record, finishing the game -5 on

With the season over, the playoff bracket was set:

Up Next: The opening round of the 1990 Playoffs!

Last edited by 3pointtally (2/17/2020 4:57 pm)

2/17/2020 5:07 pm  #6

My bad on Toronto, was quick typing during lunch break! And that’s a cool little fact for Buffalo I like it. I ask about “international orange” because it is the official color of the Golden Gate Bridge and isn’t very far off of that, it be a good nod.

The 90s were something else! They remind me of box lacrosse uniforms, which are way more experimental. Need to get use to all the crazy ideas and change my mind set to accept this isn’t normal hockey!!

2/17/2020 5:56 pm  #7

Why is Salt Lake the only team with an OT win? It seems like almost everyone should have some.

2/17/2020 10:57 pm  #8

sportsfan7 wrote:

Why is Salt Lake the only team with an OT win? It seems like almost everyone should have some.

I sim the seasons with Fantasy Hockey Manager. Must have been a glitch in the standings because obviously the OT wins and losses should add up. Good catch, I'll have to look into it for next season.

2/18/2020 8:22 pm  #9

1990 Thomas Cup Quarter Finals 

Casper Ghosts - 4, Hamilton Lancasters, 3
Casper goalie Andy Lovely stood on his head on this one, keeping Hamilton off the scoreboard in the first period despite being heavily outshot. Casper would score on the powerplay in the first period to make it 1-0. The second period was more of Lovely, who turned away 15 Hamilton shots, while Casper forward Ben Schmidt got his first of the playoffs, making the game 2-0.

Hamilton pressed on in the third, but ultimately fell down 3-1. Lovely stood on his head again, turning aside 14 more shots until Hamilton scored with 1:45 left to make it 3-2. Hamilton controlled the final minute, but Casper would add an empty netter to make it 4-2. Casper would hang on, ultimately giving up a third with 4 seconds remaining as it was too little, too late for Hamilton who did everything possible to win but couldn’t beat Andy Lovely. 

Buffalo Blaze - 3, San Francisco Rush - 2
Both teams seemed to play it safe in the first as not much happened offensively, with both teams managing just 5 shots on goal a piece. 

The second period is when things picked up. Buffalo defenseman Filip Karlsson was cross checked from behind head first into the boards which resulted in a line brawl. The Aud in Buffalo was rocking after the scraps and Karlsson was ultimately able to return. The cross check resulted in a 5 minute powerplay, which Buffalo scored on twice to make it 2-0.

San Francisco scored early in the third and then on a powerplay mid-way through the third to tie the game at 2. It looked like we were headed to overtime, until Filip Karlsson went full Disney movie, scoring on an absolute rocket from the point with just over 2 minutes to play, blowing the roof off the arena and sending the Blaze to the semi-finals!

With the quarter finals complete, the bracket was set for the semi-finals:

Up next, the 1990 Semi Finals with Charlotte hosting Casper and Vancouver hosting Buffalo!

Last edited by 3pointtally (2/18/2020 8:23 pm)

2/22/2020 12:06 am  #10

Vancouver Orcas - 2, Buffalo Blaze - 1
Buffalo, fresh off a very emotional game, tried to bring that energy to the semi-finals but all it did was put them in penalty trouble in the first. Vancouver captain Bill Fitzroy scored on a one timer from the point to put the Orcas up 1-0.

Buffalo fought back in the second, tying things up on a beautiful give and go goal that beat the Vancouver goaltender cleanly. The game started to get chippy after the tying goal and the refs gave both teams a pair of 10 minute misconducts to try and settle things down.

In the third, both teams would trade chances back and forth until the unlikely hero Travis Tassell scored the game winner mid-way through the frame on a rebound in the slot.

Casper Ghosts - 5, Charlotte Aviators - 2
The big talk leading into the game was whether Charlotte would go with wins leader Damian Mertens or the hot hand in Jason Gilroy. They ultimately went with the hot hand in Gilroy which turned out to be the wrong choice. Ben Schmidt opened the scoring on the first shot of the game and Aulis Happo added another shortly after to go up 2-0. After taking their timeout, Charlotte immediately took a penalty and Schmidt scored his second of the game to put them up 3-0.

Mertens would start the 2nd period for Charlotte and make a huge save early which lead directly to an Oscar Lundberg goal. Casper would immediately take a penalty and Charlotte seemingly had all the momentum, but Ghosts forward Andrew Johnston would bury a short handed break-away to put them up 4-1.

Schmidt would get his hat trick in the third to go up 5-1 before Charlotte scored a garbage time goal to make it 5-2. With the finals sets, Casper would head to Vancouver for the inaugural Thomas Cup Final!

Board footera