Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2023 1:37 pm  #1

Major League Hybrid Hoops (MLHH)

The First Game
In the mid 70s, the President of the United States had an idea for a sport. It was called Hybrid Hoops. It had basketball positions, with a basketball hoop on each side, but you played with tennis rackets and tennis balls, and you were on a giant trampoline. There were two defenders on each team, too. There was a clock and a shot clock, just like basketball. 

The president assembled two teams of the best college basketball and tennis players to play an exhibition game at the White House.

*D=Defender
TEAM ONE:
Harrison Vickers, PG
Lydia Hayden, SG
Grant Prine, SF
Ricky Johnson, PF
Ethan Nash, C
Diana Lillard, D
Tina James, D

TEAM TWO:
Rebecca Johnston, PG
Peggy Payton, SG
Michael Barnes, SF
Tim Sargent, PF
Chris McAfee, C
Vanessa Jones, D
Steve McRoberts, D

Team Two ended up winning, 61-57. The president worked with many investors to form a league around it. Finally, in 1978, the MLHH was born.

Teams and Players
There were 8 teams when the league started in 1978. 

EASTERN:                                                                WESTERN:
New York Avengers                                                  Los Angeles Flames
Chicago Rampage                                                    San Francisco Bulldogs
DC Americans                                                          Denver Ducks
Philadelphia Predators                                             Phoenix Desert Kings

While most of the players from the first game decided not to play in the league, a few did. Harrison Vickers was drafted to the Americans, while Ricky Johnson went to the Flames. Peggy Payton would play for the Bulldogs, and Chris McAfee would end up in Philadelphia with the Predators.

"We'll bring the Americans a couple championships," said Harrison Vickers.

The First Season (1978)
In the first season, there were 24 games. The playoffs weren't really big. Only 4 teams made it in. They were the Chicago Rampage, the DC Americans, the San Francisco Bulldogs, and the Phoenix Desert Kings. 

The first matchup was a blowout, with the Americans demolishing the Bulldogs, 53-38. Harrison Vickers dropped 24, 5, and 6. 

The next matchup to go to the finals was the Chicago Rampage taking on the Phoenix Desert Kings. Despite the Rampage putting on a good fight, the Desert Kings defeated them, 55-51. 

The finals were set. It was the Americans, who went 19-5, versus the Desert Kings, who were 17-7, and had a killer name. 

In the first quarter, the Desert Kings were up, 16-14. Coming into halftime, the game was tied, 34-34. The radio announcers were hyping it up, before the signal cut out. The station went off air. This led to many people flooding into the stadium. In the third quarter, the Desert Kings were up yet again, 50-48. Coming into the final minute of the game, the Americans were down by 1. It was 64-63. A player for the Americans blocked and stole the ball from the Desert Kings player, and passed it to George Vickers, who passed it to his brother, Harrison. Harrison watched the clock wind down. 20...19...18...

Harrison tried to pass, but it was blocked by a Desert Kings player. He passed the ball to his teammate before it was stolen again! Harrison was passed the ball, and he thought it was too late. 7...6...5...

Mindlessly, he chucked the ball from full court with his eyes closed. He heard the shot clock buzz, and then the crowd erupted.

"BANG!" the announcer for the stadium yelled. He felt the huddle of people crowding around him, trying to pick him up. He couldn't help but grin. The Americans had won, 66-64. 

DC Americans
San Francisco Bulldogs  ----------
                                                |               DC Americans   ----------   
                                                | -------------                                   | ------------------ DC Americans
Chicago Rampage                   |             Phoenix Desert Kings 
Phoenix Desert Kings --------------

Harrison Vickers won the 1978 MLHH MVP Award. He averaged 23.0 ppg, 7.5 reb, and 6.2 ast. 

A janitor from the stadium was working overnight. He overheard the president talking with an investor in a office. The president said, "We need more teams. This season was too short, and we need to be competing with the NBA as soon as possible..."

Last edited by DonutsABC123 (5/30/2023 3:59 pm)

5/30/2023 4:25 pm  #2

Re: Major League Hybrid Hoops (MLHH)

The American Midnight News
"Only losers read this newspaper"

Vickers involved in skiing crash, will be out for entire season

Hybrid Hoops star Harrison Vickers injured his foot in a skiing crash, his brother George said. 
Vickers, 21, was practicing his skiing skills at a resort in South Dakota, when he went out of control, and hit a tree. Luckily, he only injured his foot. Doctors say that he might be out for the entire 1979 MLHH season. Vickers piloted his DC Americans to the MLHH Finals, where he beat the Phoenix Desert Kings at the buzzer. Vickers also won the MVP that year.

Last edited by DonutsABC123 (5/30/2023 4:26 pm)

5/30/2023 4:26 pm  #3

I don't know why it is glitched out..=

5/30/2023 6:15 pm  #4

I like the idea. It is very original and I think it will be interesting to see how the ball reacts when it hits the floor, being on a trampoline and all. Though my rampage got knocked out in the first round, we can hopefully have a quick bounceback next year and make some magic. (I’m also assuming the POTUS your referencing is Ford, who actually turned down contracts to NFL teams which I thought I shoud share.) Anyways, good series and keep up the work.

5/30/2023 6:32 pm  #5

Thanks! I'm rooting for the Rampage myself, as I'm from Illinois. 

5/30/2023 6:54 pm  #6

The Draft and the Plan
The 1979 MLHH draft was the first draft in the league's history. There was no Magic Johnson, Bill Cartwright, Sidney Moncrief, or Jim Paxson. This was the MLHH, after all. Nowhere near as popular as the NBA, not yet at least. 

This draft wasn't that good. A player named Grant Braun was drafted #1 to the New York Avengers. Braun would only play for five seasons, as his career was plagued with injuries. Sammy O'Nan would be drafted #2 to the Denver Ducks. The only other notable player would be Patricia Bingham, who would play with Ricky Johnson and the Flames. She was drafted 6th overall to the Desert Kings. 

Despite the president's best efforts to attract new teams, the plan failed. The president decided to make two teams, owned by himself. He already owned the Americans. 

[size=100] [/size]

5/30/2023 6:55 pm  #7

[size=250]Test to see if this is working

[size=100]This is a test.
[size=75]This is a test.
[/size][/size][/size]

5/31/2023 7:14 am  #8

1979 MLHH Season

5/31/2023 7:40 am  #9

The league expanded from 24 games to 30 games. Despite not having their star player in Harrison Vickers, the DC Americans went 21-9.It was George Vickers's year, as the small forward from Kentucky averaged 23.5 ppg. Chris McAfee and the Philadelphia Predators went 20-10. Over on the western side of things, it was the Desert Kings with the best record, going 23-7. Peggy Payton and the San Francisco Bulldogs went 19-11. 

*Sorry, this is very glitched out. I don't know why it's bolded, but I can't turn it off, so this will have to do.

The Bulldogs suffered a heartbreaking loss in this first matchup against the Phoenix Desert Kings. The Bulldogs had the lead for most of the game, but a missed layup by Peggy Payton allowed the Desert Kings to snatch the ball and make a three point shot. The Desert Kings won and advanced to the next round, 53-49.

The next matchup to face the Desert Kings in the MLHH Finals had the DC Americans go up against the Philadelphia Predators in a classic game. This close matchup went to overtime, where the Predators were able to kick the defending champions out of the playoffs. The Predators won, 64-61.

The finals were set. The Desert Kings versus the Predators. Who will win in the epic matchup?

Phoenix Desert Kings
San Francisco Bulldogs  ----------
                                                |               Phoenix Desert Kings   --  
                                                | -------------                                   | -----------------
DC Americans                        |          Philadelphia Predators -----
Philadelphia Predators --------------

Last edited by DonutsABC123 (5/31/2023 7:42 am)

5/31/2023 7:41 am  #10

1979 MLHH Finals

Board footera