Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2023 8:51 am  #11

Re: Building the League

Amsterdam getting in for the western Europe as the top vote getter is a surprise, and definitely can shake things up. I'm excited for Amsterdam as a city for this, I think there's a lot to work with and on.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/19/2023 10:22 am  #12

Wow, that's a surprise. Glad to know we're not going by the book here! Region 3 was filled with great soccer cities so I bet we see one or two as wildcards later on.

5/19/2023 7:55 pm  #13

@QCS, the wildcards won't save every one of the big soccer cities...their hope will now rest with the fan voting later on..

With that ominous note, I wanted to give you another First Look city tonight. Tomorrow the full field will be revealed! 

5/20/2023 7:11 am  #14

We've made it to the weekend have more importantly we have made it past our first round of the AltLiga Design Project. 

PHASE 1 - CITY SELECTION

The City Selection round feature 96 cities from around the world. From there votes were cast to bring that number down to 20. As you see below, each region originally produced 4 clubs. This was so to ensure some geographic diversity. Then we took the highest rated cities regardless of region, a wildcard group to ensure we listened to the preferences of our community.

From here we will eventually have one final round of City Selection to fill out our league. This time, AltLiga fans will be able to submit their choice for a Final Four In club. We will then rate those nominees until we reach our league cap of 24. This Final Four In round was added to ensure that we can tweak the league to include a city, country or part of the world that was missed or we would find fun to include. 

With all of that said here is our current field of AltLiga cities: 

PHASE 2 - NAME THE CLUB

Next we will move on to the name the teams. In the past, the identity of our teams was largely tied to the team name. For example, the Kansas City Scarecrows were most likely going to have a logo of a Scarecrow. But in the soccer that is not always the case. Very often the name of the city is all you need to get started on a crest design. It will be on the designer of the crest to really push the unique culture, iconography, colors, etc of the city. Therefore this round is going to be a little tricky. I suspect we will have very similar names across the submissions and that's okay. 

When we vote it will be for the overall name - both the club name and the nickname: Chelsea Football Club + The Blues. 

The Name Nominations

We will do this in two waves. Wave one will feature 10 clubs and the submissions will be due on MAY 24. The second wave will begin on the 24th and be due on May 29. 

Submissions will Require - Club Name + Nickname + Brief Description. This all must fit in text box with a maximum of 280 characters. The rationale behind this is to enable nominators to provide insight as to why they made the decision that they did. Furthermore, it creates equity among submissions and will help us vote on the best idea and not simply the one with the longest and most detailed explanation. This balance will help us out quite a bit. Submit your ideas by accessing the form below

WAVE A Name Submissions

Not that we are at the end of the city phase, feel free to once again check out the Database with the final submissions:

Official AltLiga Database

Happy naming! 

5/20/2023 8:01 am  #15

Can't wait to see the team names that people will come up with, but I have questions, where can I vote for the Final Four teams? Do I put my Final Four choices here?

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

5/20/2023 9:07 am  #16

GoosetavoMan wrote:

Can't wait to see the team names that people will come up with, but I have questions, where can I vote for the Final Four teams? Do I put my Final Four choices here?

Great question. I will release that form a little later in the process. I want to give the league some time to take shape first. 

5/20/2023 10:56 am  #17

Before I submit names, I want to clear up something regarding the use of non-English languages in our names. In the original post it says:

Gritty wrote:

For the AltLiga we will be using the English names of cities and characters.

Does this mean we have to use only English in the names or can we use romanized versions of other languages? For example:
Let's say we have a team in Beijing. I want to name the team "FC Beijing Dragons". I can't submit "FC北京龙" because it's not using English characters but instead could I submit as "FC Beijing Long" or would it have to be "FC Beijing Dragons"?

5/20/2023 11:42 am  #18

QCS wrote:

Before I submit names, I want to clear up something regarding the use of non-English languages in our names. In the original post it says:

Gritty wrote:

For the AltLiga we will be using the English names of cities and characters.

Does this mean we have to use only English in the names or can we use romanized versions of other languages? For example:
Let's say we have a team in Beijing. I want to name the team "FC Beijing Dragons". I can't submit "FC北京龙" because it's not using English characters but instead could I submit as "FC Beijing Long" or would it have to be "FC Beijing Dragons"?

Great question. For the sake of the design competition portion we are going to use English characters. So FC Beijing Long would be fine. You can use your explanation space to provide the translation. Then the eventual owner of the club can use the characters that are more natural to the country. 

5/20/2023 1:28 pm  #19

what about letters like ñ, å, é, etc? are those considered "english" enough or should we write them in their unaccented forms when submitting?

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

5/20/2023 3:59 pm  #20

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

what about letters like ñ, å, é, etc? are those considered "english" enough or should we write them in their unaccented forms when submitting?

I suppose to be fair to all cultures across the world, let's stick to the English characters. So if they are not used in the english language then let's not use them. If you believe it is integral to the submission then include the name with those characters in the description. Good question. 

Board footera