Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2023 7:58 pm  #91

Re: The American Football League

LORE LORE LORE!

I see chaos brewing and I think it's going to be a fun ride. I think the most interesting story is with the NEFL, and the bit of a plot twist going on there with the McNamara rising to power. Great work Dire!

2/20/2023 8:27 pm  #92

Another intriguing update on the other football leagues of this universe! Although, what does Canadian Football look like in this universe? I apologize if that's not relevant to the plot, but I was just curious. 

Anyway, here's looking forward to seeing what the Columbus Buckeyes rebrand as with them moving to Washington D.C. and hopefully my Rivermen not choking in the playoffs in 1954. 

2/21/2023 2:33 pm  #93

Wallflower wrote:

LORE LORE LORE!

I see chaos brewing and I think it's going to be a fun ride. I think the most interesting story is with the NEFL, and the bit of a plot twist going on there with the McNamara rising to power. Great work Dire!

Ah, a fellow lore enjoyer I see.

The developments coming out of the NEFL are going faster than they have thanks to McNamara's rapid ascent to league commissioner. McNamara may have saved the NEFL from falling down the same path as the NYPL, as the AFL was considering expanding towards the east, which have included plans to expand to both Boston and Philadelphia. Any expansion by the AFL into the Northeast would have killed off the NEFL, so McNamara wanting to keep the league alive by speaking with the AFL about a merger may be the best option. The next couple of years are going to be interesting if this merger agreement is finalized, and I am excited to share what I have planned for the future.

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

Another intriguing update on the other football leagues of this universe! Although, what does Canadian Football look like in this universe? I apologize if that's not relevant to the plot, but I was just curious. 

Anyway, here's looking forward to seeing what the Columbus Buckeyes rebrand as with them moving to Washington D.C. and hopefully my Rivermen not choking in the playoffs in 1954. 

Canadian football is spread out among 2 leagues that compete for the Dominion Cup. The oldest is the Interprovincial Football Union (IFU), which consists of 6 teams in Ontario and Quebec. In the west of Canada is the Western Rugby Football Union (WRFU), which contains 4 teams spread out from Manitoba to Alberta. The Canadian Rugby Football Union (CRFU). the governing board overseeing these two leagues, won't really be relevant unless there is developments coming out of Canada or the AFL decides to expand North for whatever reason. Great question though, I hadn't fleshed out that portion of the world yet so it's better to get it done now than later.

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

2/23/2023 1:36 pm  #94

AFL Spring Meetings 1953

AFL INKS NEW DEAL WITH DUMONT
After the previous year’s deal with DuMont to broadcast select games and the championship last year, the AFL and the DuMont Network have agreed to a 2 year deal that will see more select games be broadcast nationally on the DuMont Network. DuMont will once again televise the championship games for the 1953 and 1954 seasons, as well as 9 Saturday night games per year and the semi-finals on Thanksgiving that were a part of the new deal. These Saturday night games will be the first time that any football game will be televised from coast-to-coast in prime time, with networks out west finally being included as part of the broadcasting deal. The AFL’s gamble to go to television before any of the other leagues is a bet that is greatly paying off. AFL players are becoming household names in locations outside the league’s footprint, especially growing the Northeast, where the league’s popularity is surpassing both the NEFL and the NYPL. If the league’s popularity can spread this fast, then the AFL is on the right track to success.

COLUMBUS TO RELOCATE TO WASHINGTON
The Columbus Buckeyes would be no more after the 1952 season. After a middling mix of results and ticket sales and playing second fiddle to the University of Ohio, owner Randolf Durant decided that Columbus would not last as a professional city for much longer. Durant put the team up for sale after the 1951 season, leaving the team’s future to whoever buys out the team. The winning bid was from Bernard McCullough, a prominent real estate developer from Norfolk, VA. He had built himself up from nothing and his company became the largest real estate firm in the Tidewater region, and had a part-time ownership stake in the Southern Football League’s Richmond Patriots before the entire league went under during the Second World War. Wanting to get back into football, he placed the winning bid on the Buckeyes, and instead of moving the team to his home market, he wanted to move the team to Washington, D.C., and share the stadium with the city’s baseball team, the Washington Senators, which he had also purchased in 1947. The Buckeyes name would be gone, and McCullough wanted the team to undergo a change to better suit the nation’s capital. While he did not have exact details on what the new team would be named, he assured the fans of the new team would not have to wait long to reveal the team that they would root for. The other owners welcomed McCullough to the meetings with open arms, with former owner Randolf Durant saying one last goodbye to the league as he symbolically transferred his position on the Owners Council to McCullough. After the pop and circumstance was over, the owners introduced the main issue on their docket for these meetings.

AFL-NEFL MERGER
The potential merger of the AFL and NEFL was going incredibly smooth going into the league meetings in February. AFL commissioner Donovan Hasenkamp was joined by Boston Rebels owner Frank Goldstein, and NEFL president and Boston Bards owner Robert McNamara in Chicago to finalize the merger options between the two leagues. Negotiations were going to be tense, as fans and players from both Boston teams were very vocal in opposition of the merger. Many Rebels and Bards players did not want to be put on the “lesser” team, knowing that Goldstein wanted to put all the best players of the two teams. Goldstein and McNamara were also at odds with each other, having greatly differing views on the NEFL’s future. Most other NEFL teams were also in opposition of the merger, with the Boston teams bringing a majority of the league’s revenue. Losing their breadwinners would be a catastrophic loss to the league, and the other owners threatened to not participate in either the 1953 or 1954 seasons unless something was done to prevent the league from collapsing financially. When the three intervened with the other 7 owners of the AFL, it was made clear that the original merger option would not be the best option due to player backlash. Goldstein proposed that instead of the merger only one of the Boston teams get in. Detroit owner August Riddle brought up that this was effectively the same as the merger proposal, only that one of the teams would get promoted and the other stuck in the NEFL. McNamara shot down Goldstein’s idea after that, and it was back to the beginning of how Boston would be integrated into the league. McNamara presented the idea that this Boston team start from scratch, making it an expansion team co-owned by McNamara and Goldstein to begin in whichever year the AFL approves. This would be the final expansion proposal, and was put to the vote among the owners, with McNamara abstaining since it was his proposal. Even if he would be able to vote, it overwhelmingly passed among the owners in a 7-2 majority, with only Tri-Cities owner Bert Hester and Goldstein being the only dissenting votes. Hester did not like that there was a city furthest east that would complicate travel costs for his small market team, and Goldstein because he did not want to co-own a team in a city that he felt was prestigious enough to join the AFL. He went on a tirade after the vote, cursing and condemning the owners for barring his prestigious Boston Rebels and his great players from the greatest league he has ever seen. Hasenkamp had enough of Goldstein, and threw Goldstein out of the meeting room, telling him that he would no longer be a part of negotiations with the league. Nearly half an hour passed by with the owners getting into a screaming match and alerting the press to the Blackstone Hotel. Hasenkamp denied any interviews at that time, only stating “It’s not the first time someone from Boston has caused a commotion in this country.” With tensions higher than they had been, the owners (minus Goldstein, who was prohibited from re-entering) decided to reconvene the following day to finalize the merger proposal. The following day, the owners met to discuss the next most pressing issue: what to do with the remainder of the NEFL. McNamara did not want to just fold the remainder of the league or leave it as is, but could not figure out a solution to the league. Several hours passed until Washington owner Bernard McCullough proposed that the NEFL become a minor league to the AFL. McCullough’s Washington Senators in the NBL were one of the first teams to utilize a farm system, and their development of talent is the primary reason they were able to win multiple World Series titles in recent years. It was more unprecedented for a football league to have a feeder league, as college had been the sole place where players could develop talent before going pro. McCullough did not want to end the college-to-pro pipeline that had existed since the beginning of pro football, but more as a place where players that weren’t good enough to join any professional league to develop their skills in order to attract professional teams to sign with. After hours of debate between owners, which was thankfully more civilized without Goldstein in the room, the NEFL would become the development league for the AFL in a narrow 5-4 vote. The teams’ affiliations would be determined at a later date once Boston joins the AFL. The former Boston teams would fall to the  NEFL and McNamara to decide. McNamara said he would bring it up with the NEFL owners, but more likely than not the two Boston teams would relocate to smaller markets to accommodate for the league’s change to a feeder league.  In some consolation, Goldstein would become the new president of the NEFL when the Boston team would be added to the AFL, although there was plenty of push back from the other owners after his outburst. After a long day cooped up in the hotel’s conference room, Donovan Hasenkamp finally walked out and began talking with the press about the league’s future.

The final proposal is as follows:
- An expansion team will be created in Boston, to be owned by Robert McNamara.
- The new Boston team will be made up of players from all existing NEFL teams, in which an “expansion draft” will occur prior to the team joining the AFL.
- The NEFL will become the development league for the AFL, which will begin the same year the new Boston team is established in the AFL. Team affiliations are to be determined.
- The two former Boston teams in the NEFL, the Boston Bards and Boston Rebels, will be relocated to other markets to be determined.

Hasenkamp stated later to the press that there would be no set date the expansion will take place, as he wants to have a second team join the league to accompany Boston. He did want this merger to take effect in the next 5 years, but wanted to find another suitable location for a team for Boston to join with. “Knowing how our league is growing,” Hasenkamp said to the press, “it won’t be long until we get another team knocking on our door to join our league.”

TL;DR:
- The Columbus Buckeyes have officially moved from Columbus to Washington. New owner Bernard McCullough promises that the team's new name and design will come before the draft.
- The AFL and the DuMont Network agree to an expanded 2 year deal that will include both the semi-finals and the championship broadcasted, and select games on Saturdays from coast-to-coast
- The AFL and NEFL agree to a partial merger. The AFL will admit a new team from Boston that will contain the best players from the league, while the NEFL will become a minor league to the AFL.
- The new Boston team will begin play in the near future once the AFL locates another team for Boston to join with

C&C Appreciated! What are your thoughts on the merger? Any predictions for the future?

2/23/2023 6:06 pm  #95

Great write-up, with loads of drama, love it. I really dig the world you are building here Dire.

Just for clarification, Goldstein is completely out of the AFL, and the team is solely going to be owned by McNamara? Does Goldstein still get to control the to-be-relocated Rebels?

2/23/2023 7:36 pm  #96

Wallflower wrote:

Great write-up, with loads of drama, love it. I really dig the world you are building here Dire.

Just for clarification, Goldstein is completely out of the AFL, and the team is solely going to be owned by McNamara? Does Goldstein still get to control the to-be-relocated Rebels?

You are correct on all of those points, for now. Goldstein was going to be a co-owner of the Boston team, but his outburst at the meetings pretty much excluded him from anything AFL-related. He will be the commissioner of the new NEFL once the Boston team comes to be as well as keeping ownership of the Rebels once they move, but it is more likely than not he will cut all ties with the AFL between now and then. What he does after that is not known, but Goldstein will do anything to keep his team in Boston between now and whenever the expansion takes place.

2/27/2023 5:45 pm  #97

1953 Design Changes

INTRODUCING THE WASHINGTON FEDERALS
In a private press conference inside the historic Willard Hotel in Washington, D.C., owner Bernard McCullough finally unveiled the name of the new Washington team: the Washington Federals. McCullough wanted the team to have a patriotic ring to it, shortlisting names such as the Nationals, Americans, and the Stars. The original name of the team was going to be the Eagles, but the fact there were two other bird teams in the league made McCullough change the name to the Federals.

The eagle still remains in the logo, with the primary based on the eagle seen in National Recovery Administration posters during the Great Depression. The eagle had symbolized hope for a brighter future during those troubling times, and McCullough chose to use it for a similar reason. Washington had not had a pro team in nearly 3 decades, and the Columbus Buckeyes had struggled for an equal amount of time. McCullough wanted to bring a brighter future to both a tormented franchise and a city that was desperately missing a franchise. The eagle sits between a star and a W, both white outlined in both blue and white while the eagle contrasts in red.

Columbus’s blue and red color scheme was perfect for the nation’s capital, but their color scheme and uniforms were, for the most part, an exact copy of the University of Ohio Buckeyes. These were changed to create a more unique look for the team. The least affected were the colors, with the blue darkened and the red made slightly brighter. The uniforms still remained blue at home and white on the road, but the striping was changed to be more in line with one another, with the road’s striping changed to be more blue focused than red. The red pants were swapped out for a pair of white ones, with a stripe added down the side resembling the ones on the white jersey. The socks remained almost intact, with McCollough keeping them the same to respect the team’s past with the new era. The Federals became the second team to feature some design on their helmets, with the W found in their logo featured on their helmets.
(Players featured: QB Johnnie Sellers (12) and DB Johnathan Moon (41))

The Detroit Knights were the only other team this offseason to make any sort of change to their logo uniforms. They darkened their red and blue to help with contrast, as well as removing the red pants for their white jerseys and changing the blue socks on the road to red to match their home.

(Players featured: RB Jeffery Spears (39) and LB Jerry Flowers (42))

C&C Appreciated! What do you think of the updates? A fairly hectic offseason is up next!

2/27/2023 8:28 pm  #98

Awesome set for the Federals. Great job on the logo, I think the only thing that bothers me is the differing stoke weights between the "W" and the star. Otherwise, it's a good-looking team. Detroit, I think I like the change to white pants on the road overall, but the blue on the shoulders sticks out a little to me with less blue on the rest of the uniform. That being said I also like the level of unbalance, makes it feel a little more realistic for the time, so it works. Either way, good job Dire. 

2/28/2023 12:56 am  #99

I like the Federals! RWB is a nice, classic color scheme for DC and the jerseys are a very solid, old-school set. I'd like to see a little more red on the blue jersey especially, obviously differentiating with Detroit is necessary but i think a red helmet and socks would be a cool look. Detroit also looks nice, the new shades are a good upgrade. Keep it up!

3/02/2023 3:50 am  #100

Will Washington play in the West? Or will there be a divisional realignment?

Board footera