Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2022 10:02 am  #331

Re: AltLB Design Thread

After a quick poll we have our final decisions. That means that our league is locked in. So get your wish lists together and get excited for this week. 

2/24/2022 8:07 pm  #332

The time is finally here! It is time for the AltLB Owner Draft! 

I always love this time of the design process. It is the culmination of a lot of time and hard work. I wanted to once again thank everyone who has submitted names, logos and uniforms that give our community the necessary options to build the best looking league possible. Also thank you to everyone who voted. All told, we had hundreds of submissions and even more votes. The design process started at the end of July. That means that this process has taken 7 months to complete. And tomorrow...that design process comes to an end! 

From this point on, owners will gain control of their very own AltLB franchise. 

After much consideration, we have decided that we are going to still have a National & American League but we will be all in one Fantrax league. We will be revisiting the scoring system in the coming weeks to make sure that there is a healthy competitive balance. More to come on that. 

The Owner Draft
The Owner Draft order (seen below) was determined by a composite score of a number of factors. Owners were given points for contributing winning names, logos and uniforms. There were also points given to people who submitted logos and uniform designs. Next, this afternoon we conducted the lottery. This lottery gave each owner equal chances of gaining the top spot. The first owner selected was given 1 point. The last owner remaining received 24. After the lottery we compiled all of those points together to create each owner's composite score. Owners were ranked based on that composite score. 

We had 24 owners commit to joining the league. That means that 24 of the 30 teams will be used in year 1. That also means that every owner will have multiple teams to choose from.

Here is the Owner Draft Order: 

Tomorrow during the day I will make a post that officially kicks off the Draft. Once the draft begins DireBear will be on the clock. Once they select, then QCS is on the clock and so on and so forth. If there is a lengthy lag between picks I will reach out to that owner. If we don't hear from them we will move on to the next owner. That's why it will be important to keep checking back to follow the progress of the draft. 

You can follow the draft on the AltLB Google Sheet as well. 

Once you select your team it'll be time to start designing the rest of the team's identity. Those items will include...
-Team Manager
-Legacy Stadium
-Modern Stadium
-AAA Team (Larger Market)
-AA Team (Medium Market)
-A Team (Small Market)

So start thinking about it! 

See you all tomorrow. In the mean time get those wish lists made and mock drafts mocked! 

Last edited by Gritty (2/24/2022 8:08 pm)

2/25/2022 12:30 pm  #333

It is officially afternoon on the East Coast. With that said, we are underway...DireBear is on the clock! If you are going to be away from the site for a large chunk of time...PM me your wish list, I can then make your pick and then you can make the real announcement later. 

2/25/2022 12:44 pm  #334

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

February 25, 2022

Somewhere in the multiverse, U.S.A

There are 4 frames hanging in the office of Mr. The Dire The Bear. 3 of which are filled with his current Alt League assets. The final one is empty, soon to be filled. All the Bear needs to hear is when he’ll be taking his pick. Days passed after he submitted his uniforms. Surely one of them would win. After dozing off looking at spreadsheets all day, he awoke to find a broom on his desk and a piece of paper with #1 written on it. Interns reported the Bear dancing around through his see-through, sound-proof office, probably celebrating the power he now holds over the entire league. The Bear gestures for an intern, who wasn't actually calling for an inter,  just pointing at a wall in celebration not knowing his office was a 1-way mirror. 

“Intern, commence the draft process, and pronto! We’ve only got less than a day to choose”

“You gave me a name, you know.”

“Oh, why not. I guess your name is Dominic. Just put together the scene where I choose the hat.”

“But my name is Tod…”

“Sure thing Dale, just get it ready for me! I’ll be busy in the meantime.”

“See, I hate to bother you Mr. The Bear, but there seems to be an issue.”

“Listen if it’s because I haven’t followed brand guidelines I can explain.”

“Well there’s that, which we are all aware of, and there’s a dark shadowy man in the doorway. He says his name is ‘Blingfast’ or something like that and he has already bought the first pick from you.”

“Oh, great. It’s Bingfish. He appeared the other day in the power rankings and hasn’t gone away. Just don’t say anything and he’ll go away.”

As soon as The Bear finished that sentence, Bingfish instantly appeared in his office.

“I have a contract signed by the Commissioner that says you’ve relinquished the first overall pick to me. I’m taking the Griffons.”

The intern spoke up, “This is just a napkin that says ‘#1 pick to Bingfish, signed Gritney.”

The fish rebutted, “It has his paw on it. Therefore it is valid.”

The Bear retaliated, “I have a cocktail napkin for you as well.” 

The Bear took out a napkin with one of his greatest inventions: a banana. There wasn’t just a banana on there, but there was a copperhead snake eating it very strangely and could be interpreted in many ways. This sent Bingfish into a scramble, running away and making the trade void.

“Well, I guess it’s time to decide,” The Bear said to Whatever-His-Name-Was the intern.

“You’ve made a decision right?”

“Uh, yeah,” The Bear said, quickly turning around and flipping some sort of coin, “all figured out.” 

“Sure…. just make sure you’re reading in 5 to make the announcement to the press.”

Those 5 minutes passed with reporters asking the silliest of questions, like “Will The Bear take his hometown team?”, “Will The Bear be a wild card with the first pick?”, and “Is The Bear actually a bear or is he fooling us all?” Finally, The Bear emerged from his cave, ready to do what everyone wants him to do.

“It has come to my attention that I have the first overall pick in the AltLB Owner Draft. Well, I shall make you wait no longer. No more delaying, the announcement is coming right now. As in this second. Any minute now. Here’s the moment you’ve been waiting for. Here’s the big announcement, coming rig..”

Whatever-His-Name-Was elbowed and gave The Bear a stern look, forcing him to stop stalling and do something.

“I will now stop stalling and do something.” The Bear took out something from his pocket (Reporters assumed it was his pocket. The Bear is a bear after all. They don’t wear clothes). After first taking out his famed Golden Horseshoe, The Bear took out a hat, and wore it on his head.

“Hashtag Ride the Lightning. Hashtag Bring the Thunder”

TLDR; I select the Thunderbirds. Wait why are you all not shocked?

Last edited by DireBear (2/25/2022 12:50 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

2/25/2022 1:35 pm  #335

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

CHARLOTTE, NC - QCS stepped to the podium. It had been 7 months since this process had started. 7 months of names, logos, uniforms, and design. They had done quite a number on the league, what with 11 logos and 2 uniforms and such. But one thing haunted them - Raleigh.

From the initial selection of Raleigh as a joke after they had foolishly bet against Scratch, to the selection of Griffins over the favored Corsairs, it seemed like this team was destined to fall by the wayside. Then, something changed. QCS had finally completed the logo for the team and sent it in. When it won, Quice found themself drawn to the team - they had plenty of other logos, sure, but the blue and brown could not be denied. Yet still, the mere existence of Raleigh was an obstacle.

Having visited Memphis and Havana to scout locations for a potential stadium, QCS wanted to do something different for once - go elsewhere in the world to have fun with a team they designed. After a long night making their decision, they received word of DireBear's selection via multiple pings and DMs on Discord. It was time.

Stepping to the podium, QCS had this to say:

"As we all know, I am a big fan of Charlotte. The Queen City is my home and is home to my favorite teams. But this time, there is no Charlotte team for me to take. This was not an easy decision to come to. But it's finally time.

"With the second pick in the AltLB Owner Draft I'm selecting the CAROLINA GRIFFINS. Once Edgeworth and I complete our trade of the Racers and Bighorns in the AltHL offseason, I will have all four North Carolina Alt Sports teams. With this pick, I'm burying the hatchet with the fine city of Raleigh. It's a great city full of great people and unfortunately the North Carolina government. The Griffins are here to stay!

"Of course, I couldn't leave Charlotte out of it. As the team is the Carolina Griffins, we'll play several home series in Charlotte. Any playoff series will be in Raleigh but we'll be providing shuttles for dedicated fans across the Carolinas come and see their Griffins play.

"Of course, our Triple-A team will be in Charlotte. Announcements on our Double- and Single-A teams can be expected soon. Brand reveals will happen soon after. Go Griffins!"

2/25/2022 1:44 pm  #336

After watching DireBear take the Arizona Thunderbirds and QCS to take the Carolina Griffins, it's time for Dan O'Mac. Dan walks out to a podium at home plate of his new stadium, for his new team. He's entered sports ownership for football, basketball, and hockey. The New York Emperors are successful. The Pittsburgh Hammers are successful. The Milwaukee 48ers are more successful than Dan had expected as an expansion team. Now, he has purchased an AltLB team. Baseball, Dan's favorite sport. It's time to realize the dream. After doing the research, he found the perfect team for his sports portfolio. 30 teams researched, and there was one clear choice to buy. He has been waiting for this. The purchase was made quite some time ago, he just needed the right time, the moment he could make it official. As Dan steps to the microphone, the sounds of James Earl Jones' voice fills the air.

Voiceover:
 The one constant through all the years has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game -- it's a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again.

Dan smiles, letting the echo from the voiceover die out.

Dan:
 In my opinion, baseball is the greatest sport in the world. And I knew, deep down, when it was time to take ownership of an AltLB team, the perfect team would be available. A team with a great logo. A team with jerseys I thought were great. A city that not just wanted a team, but would support that team through thick and thin. And I will put a great team on that field, a winning team, I simply have a track record of success as an owner in Alt Sports. I looked at every team I could, across the United States, Canada, Mexico, and even Cuba. And one stood out. One that I felt I needed to own. I stand here at home plate of this brand new stadium to announce that I, Dan O'Mac, have assumed full and complete ownership of the Oklahoma City Bison. Right here in Bricktown, you can come down, see this team, and watch us win. Discussions are in place to bring in the best manager we can. We will completely revamp our minor league teams, developing new brands in new cities and make sure that this team will succeed now and into the future. I may be just a boy from Wisconsin that loves baseball, but you can be sure I'll be here in summer, working hard to bring a winning team and culture to OKC.

Dan puts on a Bison cap as a staffer brings a cream home jersey out for him. Dan puts it on, shakes some hands with the mayor and city councilers of Oklahoma City as pictures are taken, and then he heads back to his office to get to work and watch the rest of the ownership announcements.

Last edited by Dan O'Mac (2/25/2022 2:52 pm)

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

2/25/2022 2:07 pm  #337

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

25 𐐙𐐯𐐺𐑉𐐭𐐯𐑉𐐨 2022

INT. LIVING ROOM - NIGHT - I don't know what compelled me to look out my window at precisely 2:07 AM. Some might say it was divine intervention, a nudge down a certain path. Some would say it was simply destiny; that I was a puppet in the hands of time itself. Some will undoubtedly call it a coincidence - surely somebody would have looked up at that moment, and I was just the lucky one.

Whatever it was, I looked.

What I saw was a window. One window amongst many, a single stalk of hay within a haystack. If you looked for it, you couldn’t find it; I was not, and so I did. Perhaps the only thing to notice at all was that the light in the window was flickering. I tried to convince myself that it was not making a pattern, but it was. A long flash, then a short one. Then another of each. Five more long ones, deep breaths, then three short ones, pining for oxygen. Long. Short. It began again, and when it finished, it began a third time, somehow more urgent, as if to say, "Christ, you idiot, pick up the damn phone!" It ran its course, then it stopped. It was unmistakable.

COME IN. COME IN. COME IN.

I didn't have a choice. I was needed in that room. My muscles began acting independently from my brain. I tried everything in my power to stop myself from leaving, but there was nothing I could do.

I climbed eleven flights of stairs. I passed six doors on the right. I could not have told you how I knew where I was going, but I did. The door was unlocked, but somehow I knew I would’ve found the key anyway. It was the opposite of a lucid dream: it was real - I knew it was real - but I was powerless to do anything but watch.

The room was completely empty, save for two things. One was the lightbulb, which was unlit, its purpose fulfilled. The other was a baseball cap. In the darkness, I couldn’t make out the color, nor the logo on the front. If I had it my way, that would still be the case. Every brain cell, every neuron, every fiber of my being told me not to put on the hat.

And yet.

---------------------------------------

I still don't know how long I was out, but I know it was a long time. Sounds of unintelligible chittering filtered into my ears. My half-awake state and my pounding headache notwithstanding, I was almost certain I wasn’t hearing a language anyone on Earth had spoken before. The strange symphony was quickly accompanied by frantic shuffling, as whoever (whatever) was making the sounds packed up and got the hell out of dodge. Were they scared of me? By the time I gathered enough energy to look, the room was empty.

Confoundingly empty. Look around, white walls. Look down, white floor. Look up, white ceiling. The only object in the room to be seen was the doorknob.

I nearly missed it at first; its silver sheen masked by the bright white of the wall surrounding it. I couldn’t make out the outline of a door, but I latched onto the doorknob nonetheless, desperate for some sort of comfort in this strange place. Surely, an alien spacecraft with science fiction technology wouldn’t use a regular old door with a regular old doorknob. This place must make sense. Maybe I’d just been taken to some sort of ahsylum.

As soon as I finished that thought, the door opened. In walked a man, epicurean in stature, wearing a navy blazer over a T-shirt that read “STILL DEAD. THANKS 4 CHECKING.” Yet a third possibility for my mind to mull over. Certainly a pearly gate of sorts, but St. Peter this was not. This couldn’t be.

The voice of the man interrupted the many in my brain. “Sorry about all that commotion. Our doctors can be a little … strange at times.” Gears turned. Doctors. Could be an institution after all. My mind was too full of thoughts to spit any of them out. After a beat, he continued. “How are you feeling?”

That I could handle. “Fine.” I seemingly expected myself to prove it, and rose to my feet. My throbbing cranium begged to differ.

“Excellent. Why don’t you follow me to my office? I’m sure you have a lot of questions.”

Leaving the room, we were greeted with a constant hum at precisely the wrong pitch. Already overwhelmed, my headache felt like it was fracturing my skull with every second. The walls of my vision closed in; it was all I could do to make out the shape a few meters in front of me. After what seemed like an eternity, the droning came to an end, and my vision restored, I acquainted myself with these new surroundings.

A large desk dominated the interior. A comfortable looking chair sat behind it, with two smaller chairs against the back wall. The right-hand wall was littered with credentials from schools I had never heard of; the left-hand wall with photos of sporting events, as well as a large trophy case with a single basketball trophy inside. An enormous window covered the wall opposite the door, and a deep black sky outside reflected the room back at me. It was even clear enough that I could read the inscription on the door:

Iɢɴᴇᴜꜱ ᴅᴜCʜᴀʀᴍᴇ MᴄQᴜᴇᴇɴ, M.D., Pʜ.D., Xᴋᴄ.D.

McQueen offered me a chair, then looked puzzled. “Are you sure you’re okay? Something seems wrong.”

“Just a headache. Do you have any Tylenol?”

“I don’t, sorry.”

I paused. “Could you get one of your doctors?”

“No, they won’t have any. Listen - ” I couldn’t. What kind of doctor doesn’t carry a pain reliever? McQueen continued, but the words ricocheted off my eardrums like baseballs off of Jose Canseco’s head. Hoping to relieve some pressure, I reached up to take off my hat.

The hat! I had completely forgotten about it. Maybe, if I just took it off, all this would be over. I could just go back to my apartment, back to my job, back to my friends. End this bizarre charade. It was worth a shot.

Hands shaking, I removed the uncomfortable presence from my head, hoping for some relief from the seemingly endless pain. Nothing. All it did was seemingly delight McQueen further. “Straight to business, I see,” he said. “You want to know why you’re here.”

Before I could even think about reacting, the lights went out. In that split second, there was only black. McQueen began to speak once more.

“I’ve had a lot on my plate recently.” As he spoke, the room lit up in color. “I’m starting to realize that this is too much work.” Colors, actually. One side of the room lit up in a piercing blue; the other in a color that seemed to defy categorization. “I’ve been observing you for several months now.” I would question that sentence later, but my brain was beyond cognitive reasoning. The lights got brighter. “I need you.”

“Paradise needs you.”

I was shocked. “So this is it? This is heaven?”

“No, silly!" The intense illumination initiated an assault upon my eyeballs. “This isn’t heaven.” I could feel myself fading out of consciousness. “This is Io-”

And once more, I was gone.

---------------------------------------

And once more, I came to. Lying on the pavement, it was clear I had returned to the world I knew, and yet it was also clear that something was not quite the same. Dancing lights flickered through my closed eyelids, and yet it was clearly night. Noises jittered their way into my ear canals, and yet the street was clearly empty. I distinctly remembered removing the cap, and yet it was clearly back upon my head.

I looked up to see the sky. Terrifyingly, it was completely devoid of stars, and yet it wasn’t quite the deep black of space. Even more terrifyingly, a bright emblem was emblazoned upon it, as if hovering 90 feet above the ground, and repeating, over and over and over and over again, stretching across multiple city blocks. It seemed familiar, though I knew I hadn’t seen it before. And yet…

I took the hat off once again, and sure enough, they matched. Finally, something had clicked into place. Most of the things I have written down still confound me, and they probably always will. But I am here, and no matter which cosmic forces may have brought me here, I am meant to be here.

I slowly rose to my feet. Despite it all, I finally felt calm as I looked down the length of the street toward my future. I gave myself a confident nod.

“Up and Atom.”

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

2/25/2022 2:15 pm  #338

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Saginaw, MI

(Its the Atlanta Firebirds if you couldn't tell)

2/25/2022 2:20 pm  #339

For Immediate Release

2/25/2022 2:25 pm  #340

Alternate text for Darknes' selection:

"Perfectly balanced as all things should be," says a purple man labeled Darknes. He holds a blade with the logos of all four Boston teams on it.

Darknes selects the Masons.

Board footera